Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ted Bates statue 10:07 - Jan 20 with 4948 viewsgeezershoong1

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19861185.saints-southampton-football-club-remov

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Ted Bates statue on 10:11 - Jan 20 with 3621 viewsBicester_North

If he did fail to protect people from that nonce the statue should 100% go.

Get Franny up there

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ted Bates statue on 10:24 - Jan 20 with 3604 viewsPoirot

Who is Dan sheldon ? name rings a bell, did he work at the local bbc ?

There is factually no evidence to suggest Ted Bates ignored comments made to him from a school teacher in the mid 70s. This same teacher complained to the Police and nothing happened. This 'sensationlist' headline is all about the 'athletic' trying to gain attention and gullible readers and stinks of something you would read in the Sun newspaper.

If anything was going to be done or said then that should only come from the club and not some trashy american paywall.
Ted Bates statue on 11:19 - Jan 20 with 3516 viewsPatfromPoole

Ted Bates statue on 10:24 - Jan 20 by Poirot

Who is Dan sheldon ? name rings a bell, did he work at the local bbc ?

There is factually no evidence to suggest Ted Bates ignored comments made to him from a school teacher in the mid 70s. This same teacher complained to the Police and nothing happened. This 'sensationlist' headline is all about the 'athletic' trying to gain attention and gullible readers and stinks of something you would read in the Sun newspaper.

If anything was going to be done or said then that should only come from the club and not some trashy american paywall.

I fear this saga is one for which there is never going to be a right answer.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Ted Bates statue on 11:22 - Jan 20 with 3507 viewsPatfromPoole

I would however add that Dave Merrington’s evidence / comments would be pretty significant.

Only he will know if he spoke directly to Ted Bates about the concerns he raised with the Club.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Ted Bates statue on 12:11 - Jan 20 with 3443 viewspjt50

Ted Bates statue on 11:19 - Jan 20 by PatfromPoole

I fear this saga is one for which there is never going to be a right answer.

The Barnado's report made very uncomfortable reading.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/barnardos-independent-review.pdf

If you look at paras 146 & 147 it's clear why the club is considering this action. If it happened as reported, it was just as wrong 50 years ago as it would be today.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Ted Bates statue on 12:23 - Jan 20 with 3420 viewssaints__fan__73

Ted Bates statue on 12:11 - Jan 20 by pjt50

The Barnado's report made very uncomfortable reading.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/barnardos-independent-review.pdf

If you look at paras 146 & 147 it's clear why the club is considering this action. If it happened as reported, it was just as wrong 50 years ago as it would be today.

What's the point in calling Bates 'BM1' throughout the document but then adding he died in 2003 which clearly identifies him?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Ted Bates statue on 12:28 - Jan 20 with 3412 viewspjt50

Ted Bates statue on 12:23 - Jan 20 by saints__fan__73

What's the point in calling Bates 'BM1' throughout the document but then adding he died in 2003 which clearly identifies him?

and "...having been a manager at the Club"!

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Ted Bates statue on 12:44 - Jan 20 with 3382 viewsSonicBoom

I asked on twitter if everyone that is considered for a statue will have their background investigated from now on.
What about MLT getting a statue for example. Has he got no chance due to his anti-vax stance?
I actually had replies from Saints fans saying that they would p*** on his statue now if there was one of him.

It's a slippery slope. There are very few people in this world that don't have a single skeleton in their cupboard. What do they say? One mans' terrorist is another mans' freedom fighter.
Login to get fewer ads

Ted Bates statue on 14:07 - Jan 20 with 3274 viewsPoirot

Its disgusting from this athletic outfit, i looked at the barnardos report when it come out and simply didnt agree with it. It was mainly written through the eyes of 'recent years' mindset as oppose to the 70s and 80s. That doesnt by the way give anyone licence to the crimes committed, but anyone sensible will know the difference.

But this is all shocking journalism stirring up the 'removing statues' media frenzy.

Edit......... Dan Sheldon worked for the Daily Echo
[Post edited 20 Jan 2022 14:14]
Ted Bates statue on 14:17 - Jan 20 with 3262 viewspjt50

Ted Bates statue on 14:07 - Jan 20 by Poirot

Its disgusting from this athletic outfit, i looked at the barnardos report when it come out and simply didnt agree with it. It was mainly written through the eyes of 'recent years' mindset as oppose to the 70s and 80s. That doesnt by the way give anyone licence to the crimes committed, but anyone sensible will know the difference.

But this is all shocking journalism stirring up the 'removing statues' media frenzy.

Edit......... Dan Sheldon worked for the Daily Echo
[Post edited 20 Jan 2022 14:14]

50 years ago we knew that sexual abuse was wrong — not to mention illegal. If there was a cover up then it's quite right that people should be called out for it now. Particularly when you consider how many victims are still suffering the effects of it.

Ted Bates statue on 14:40 - Jan 20 with 3224 viewsPoirot

Ted Bates statue on 14:17 - Jan 20 by pjt50

50 years ago we knew that sexual abuse was wrong — not to mention illegal. If there was a cover up then it's quite right that people should be called out for it now. Particularly when you consider how many victims are still suffering the effects of it.

But there was no cover up in this case and if anything like being mentioned is going to happen to the statue, it should only be written about by the club to the fans first.
Ted Bates statue on 14:43 - Jan 20 with 3217 viewsPoirot

Ohh just noticed this Dan Sheldon is from waterlooville.
Ted Bates statue on 14:53 - Jan 20 with 3191 viewspjt50

Ted Bates statue on 14:40 - Jan 20 by Poirot

But there was no cover up in this case and if anything like being mentioned is going to happen to the statue, it should only be written about by the club to the fans first.

Then you haven't read the report...

Ted Bates statue on 09:44 - Jan 21 with 2845 viewsPoirot

Ted Bates statue on 14:53 - Jan 20 by pjt50

Then you haven't read the report...

Well i have read the report and if someone else did a report they would come up with another 'viewpoint'. I would say Ted Bates didnt think the one claim being made to him in the mid 70s from a school teacher was genuine and thus it was never mentioned to anyone else. This school teacher initially complained to the local education committee and nothing happened.

This is a total non story, Higgins was banged up in 2019 and its now 2022 and time to move on.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2022 9:56]
Ted Bates statue on 13:51 - Jan 21 with 2743 viewsdirk_doone

This could make him the only man to ever have two statues of himself removed from the same spot.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ted Bates statue on 15:49 - Jan 21 with 2668 viewsPoirot

Appalled to see the paper daily echo running this bollocks today from their former employee. The cowards didnt even havie the bottle to include their names to the double page spread. Making comment that has no evidence and is totally "assumption" and "hearsay" I suggest Saints fans read the FA clive sheldon report as its more detailed. Scroll to about page 518.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2022 15:52]
Ted Bates statue on 16:31 - Jan 21 with 2649 viewsRon11

Ted Bates statue on 15:49 - Jan 21 by Poirot

Appalled to see the paper daily echo running this bollocks today from their former employee. The cowards didnt even havie the bottle to include their names to the double page spread. Making comment that has no evidence and is totally "assumption" and "hearsay" I suggest Saints fans read the FA clive sheldon report as its more detailed. Scroll to about page 518.

No comments were allowed on the article. I wonder why?
Demanding the removal of statues smacks of control freaks from minority groups trying to control what people are allowed and not allowed to look at.
The BBC knew what a monster Savile was for decades, but did nothing about it. And now they try and ram their biased far left points of view down our throats while taking our money for a licence.
I don't think Ted Bates was a bad person, and certainly not one who would cover up sexual abuse (unlike the BBC). He sacked Higgins, but did not specify why-maybe to avoid further damage to the club, but also to rid the club of an evil bastard, and at the same time remove the danger of abuse from any more young players.
Yes mistakes were made, but as quoted elsewhere, things were a bit different then.
Ted Bates statue on 18:03 - Jan 21 with 2593 viewspjt50

Ted Bates statue on 16:31 - Jan 21 by Ron11

Demanding the removal of statues smacks of control freaks from minority groups trying to control what people are allowed and not allowed to look at.
The BBC knew what a monster Savile was for decades, but did nothing about it. And now they try and ram their biased far left points of view down our throats while taking our money for a licence.
I don't think Ted Bates was a bad person, and certainly not one who would cover up sexual abuse (unlike the BBC). He sacked Higgins, but did not specify why-maybe to avoid further damage to the club, but also to rid the club of an evil bastard, and at the same time remove the danger of abuse from any more young players.
Yes mistakes were made, but as quoted elsewhere, things were a bit different then.

If the complaint about Higgins in 1974 was suppressed, it certainly didn't "remove the danger of abuse from any more young players". In fact it gave him the opportunity to carry on doing the same things at Saints and elsewhere for another 20 years.

Things were only a bit different then because it was easier to keep things under wraps. Abuse is an abhorrent crime now and it was equally abhorrent 50 years ago.

Ted Bates statue on 18:06 - Jan 21 with 2590 viewsBerber

Ted Bates statue on 16:31 - Jan 21 by Ron11

Sadly, there are plenty of people who step up to defend friends, relatives and employees, believing they know their true character, and past performance on an individual basis. Their faith is not always justified and can be dreadfully betrayed.
Ted Bates statue on 18:52 - Jan 21 with 2555 viewsdirk_doone

Ted Bates statue on 18:06 - Jan 21 by Berber

Sadly, there are plenty of people who step up to defend friends, relatives and employees, believing they know their true character, and past performance on an individual basis. Their faith is not always justified and can be dreadfully betrayed.

Indeed. Who'd have thought that lovely lady Margaret Theatcher would become friends with Jimmy Savile? In fact, he was one of her few close friends. Should her statues be removed?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-jimmy-savile-s-close-fri

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ted Bates statue on 20:53 - Jan 21 with 2499 viewsBerber

Ted Bates statue on 18:52 - Jan 21 by dirk_doone

Indeed. Who'd have thought that lovely lady Margaret Theatcher would become friends with Jimmy Savile? In fact, he was one of her few close friends. Should her statues be removed?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-jimmy-savile-s-close-fri

Well, I was thinking more of the CEO of a company, who, before I joined put his reputation on the line to defend a purchasing manager whom a supplier has accused of asking for bribes. Three years later (a year after i joined), the purchasing manager began working for me, and we found that he was indeed working a couple of scams. The previous CEO endorsement had put a "ring of confidence" around him that nobody felt able to challenge. I was all for calling in the police, but those more senior to me settled for him repaying what he had lifted and then resigning.
Ted Bates statue on 00:07 - Jan 22 with 2439 viewsSadoldgit

Ted Bates statue on 18:52 - Jan 21 by dirk_doone

Removed? It shouldn’t have been commissioned in the first place. Why anyone thinks that such a divisive character was deserving of such a high accolade is beyond me.
Ted Bates statue on 02:22 - Jan 22 with 2433 viewsBicester_North

Ted Bates statue on 15:49 - Jan 21 by Poirot

How do you know it’s bollocks prick? Who knows what the story is. Stop automatically defending someone who is accused of protecting a nonce just because he was a manager of Saints. You know f*ck all so show some respect to the victims. Until you know then f*cking shut up.

Nonces and nonce supporters deserve nothing and if Bates has contributed to the protection of a nonce then that is absolutely sickening, if you are backing him up based on your opinion then that is weird as f*ck.

If you know some evidence to support Bates then put it up. Otherwise think of the victims who are the ones that have to live with it forever.

Go on TV Poirot if you know something and tell the Echo or ITV news. Otherwise agree that if anybody protected a sex offender at any stage they should be nothing to do with this football club.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2022 2:31]

Ted Bates statue on 02:25 - Jan 22 with 2432 viewsBicester_North

Itchen North, who are you that voted my earlier post down saying that if Bates protected a nonce his statue should be ripped down?

Do you think people that, if proved to protect nonces are fair to support? What’s the problem with what I posted? Feel free to PM me if you have a problem with my views on Paedophiles.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2022 2:26]

Ted Bates statue on 02:57 - Jan 22 with 2417 viewsBicester_North

Ted Bates statue on 12:44 - Jan 20 by SonicBoom

I asked on twitter if everyone that is considered for a statue will have their background investigated from now on.
What about MLT getting a statue for example. Has he got no chance due to his anti-vax stance?
I actually had replies from Saints fans saying that they would p*** on his statue now if there was one of him.

It's a slippery slope. There are very few people in this world that don't have a single skeleton in their cupboard. What do they say? One mans' terrorist is another mans' freedom fighter.

Skeleton in the cupboard yes. So you would call someone who posts his own (often bizarre) views on Twitter a skeleton in the cupboard right.
But you would also call an alleged denial of noncing boys and driving them to suicidal thoughts at a football club the same thing? Just a little skeleton?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2022 3:00]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024