Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Financial Meltdown 10:38 - Feb 4 with 3111 viewsSadoldgit

For some time we have been trying to consolidate our finances as we are paying too much in interest on loans. Our bank has turned us down several times. Attempts to remortgage have been turned down. My wife just had another loan request turned down but was suggested another with an interest rate of 67.9%! This given the bank rates are still very low. My wife works. I have a pension and work 2 days a week at the moment. We have no savings and are getting nowhere with our outgoings as we are paying mostly interest each month. This is before the new economic hikes hit our bills. We are just normal people living normal, un extravagant lives and we are struggling. God knows how others are coping? This is supposed to be one of the richest nations on the planet yet we appear to be going down the shi iter. It looks like I will have to go back to work full time and forgot about full retirement all together. Happy days. Things aren’t great now but goodness only knows what state this country will be in this time next year.
Financial Meltdown on 10:58 - Feb 4 with 3073 viewsPaleRider

Not a fan of equity release but have you looked into it?
Financial Meltdown on 10:58 - Feb 4 with 3070 viewsPaleRider

Financial Meltdown on 10:58 - Feb 4 by PaleRider

Also try CAB (join the queue!)
Financial Meltdown on 11:00 - Feb 4 with 3068 viewsHeisenberg

If you are paying out on loans why would you try and get another one ? That will make things worse. Get some debt advice. There are lots of places that offer free advice but from what you have said I don’t think further loans are advisable.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Financial Meltdown on 11:26 - Feb 4 with 3041 viewssaints__fan__73

For a football forum there are plenty of threads on offer for a bit of govt bashing!

Is there a Westminster forum where we they are discussing if it should be Forster or cabellero for Sat?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Financial Meltdown on 12:44 - Feb 4 with 2969 viewsSadoldgit

Financial Meltdown on 10:58 - Feb 4 by PaleRider

Mrs SOG’s Dad did that and it really doesn’t appeal to us. It just seems a major rip off. We aren’t on the bread line thankfully but have had to cut back on a lot of things that we used to spend money on, which means the local will take a big financial hit! Mind you, their prices have gone up massively. Their house red was £15 a bottle and is now £22. Different brand but tastes the same.
Financial Meltdown on 12:51 - Feb 4 with 2956 viewsSadoldgit

Financial Meltdown on 11:00 - Feb 4 by Heisenberg

If you are paying out on loans why would you try and get another one ? That will make things worse. Get some debt advice. There are lots of places that offer free advice but from what you have said I don’t think further loans are advisable.

We have got some credit card debts and have been paying the minimum off each month. We want to consolidate them and we’re trying to get a loan at a cheaper rate. What we didn’t realise is that if you only pay off the minimum in your cards it goes against your credit rating. A few years ago I made the mistake of paying off a large part of our mortgage. We approached the bank about borrowing some of it back again but because I am no longer in full time employment and my wife is in another job earning less, they weren’t interested. It wasn’t that long ago that banks were throwing money at people.
Financial Meltdown on 13:40 - Feb 4 with 2918 viewsUlsterBaz

This site might be of some help. (Used to be the Money Advice Service.) https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/money-troubles/dealing-with-debt?source=mas#
Financial Meltdown on 13:43 - Feb 4 with 2914 viewsNumber_58

Financial Meltdown on 11:26 - Feb 4 by saints__fan__73

For a football forum there are plenty of threads on offer for a bit of govt bashing!

Is there a Westminster forum where we they are discussing if it should be Forster or cabellero for Sat?

Dunno, but Boris will be struggling to field a team before long.
Login to get fewer ads

Financial Meltdown on 13:46 - Feb 4 with 2912 viewsPaleRider

Financial Meltdown on 12:51 - Feb 4 by Sadoldgit

We have got some credit card debts and have been paying the minimum off each month. We want to consolidate them and we’re trying to get a loan at a cheaper rate. What we didn’t realise is that if you only pay off the minimum in your cards it goes against your credit rating. A few years ago I made the mistake of paying off a large part of our mortgage. We approached the bank about borrowing some of it back again but because I am no longer in full time employment and my wife is in another job earning less, they weren’t interested. It wasn’t that long ago that banks were throwing money at people.

I know tis is contentious but are you eligible for any benefits or to withdraw a lump sum from your pensions.

You could try speaking to Nick about this as he is a financial advisor and knows far more than I do.
Financial Meltdown on 15:17 - Feb 4 with 2861 viewsBazza

I would certainly phone the Citizens Advice bureau (as Ulster suggested) and try to consolidate all your debts, especially the high interest cards, hopefully at a reasonable interest rate.
Equity release interest rates have reduced significantly in the last several years but there are negatives but might appeal.

Hope you get some better luck soon Sogs
Financial Meltdown on 15:51 - Feb 4 with 2837 viewskentsouthampton

Financial Meltdown on 12:44 - Feb 4 by Sadoldgit

Mrs SOG’s Dad did that and it really doesn’t appeal to us. It just seems a major rip off. We aren’t on the bread line thankfully but have had to cut back on a lot of things that we used to spend money on, which means the local will take a big financial hit! Mind you, their prices have gone up massively. Their house red was £15 a bottle and is now £22. Different brand but tastes the same.

https://www.stepchange.org/how-we-help/debt-advice.aspx

The best place to go, know a couple of people who have had excellent help from here.
Financial Meltdown on 19:29 - Feb 4 with 2711 viewssaint68

Sorry to hear of your predicament Sogs, I understand that you do work on a part time basis and that obviously isn't covering your outgoings adequately..but if you are of a trades/manufacturing or artistic background there are group funding outlets available to help you raise capital at very agreeable rates...hope things change for the better soon mate.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Financial Meltdown on 20:18 - Feb 4 with 2672 viewsCity_boy

I suggest you write to all of your creditors explaining your predicament to try and get an interest 'holiday' period or interest stopped to help stop the debts growing and agree repayment plan.

You will need to provide a clear summary of all income and expenditure, and try and agree a repayment plan with the creditors. In the letter, outline all the creditors, the outstanding amounts and the pro-rata payment that is being offered (e.g. biggest creditors being paid highest pro-rata amount). from available income. Advise that any repayment plan agreed with creditors would be conditional on interest being frozen. They may or may not agree (but worth asking).

Hopefully they will agree to this, and see that it is better and cheaper than pursuing the debts through debt collectors or courts.

If you do manage to get a meeting with the CAB - be prepared. Document all of your income and outgoings, together with outstanding balance, monthly payment, interest charged etc.

Hope this helps and all the best.
Financial Meltdown on 09:35 - Feb 5 with 2501 viewsBison

Financial Meltdown on 12:44 - Feb 4 by Sadoldgit

My wife is a Scouser so is an expert at this. Buy the missus a big handbag and invest in a funnel. Fill said handbag with cheap wine you like and cheap tinnies if you are in a beer mood. On entry to boozer buy a small wine and pint and then make regular trips to the bog with large handbag with the grog and funnel AND your glass. The rest I think is self explanatory....

To be clear if you feel uncomfortable with using a glass buy a bottle then use funnel to re-fill the bottle .
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 9:37]

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Financial Meltdown on 09:54 - Feb 5 with 2487 viewsSadoldgit

Financial Meltdown on 09:35 - Feb 5 by Bison

My wife is a Scouser so is an expert at this. Buy the missus a big handbag and invest in a funnel. Fill said handbag with cheap wine you like and cheap tinnies if you are in a beer mood. On entry to boozer buy a small wine and pint and then make regular trips to the bog with large handbag with the grog and funnel AND your glass. The rest I think is self explanatory....

To be clear if you feel uncomfortable with using a glass buy a bottle then use funnel to re-fill the bottle .
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 9:37]

😂😂😂
Financial Meltdown on 10:16 - Feb 5 with 2474 viewsSadoldgit

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, I really appreciate the input. There are many worse off than us and we are by no means destitute, just frustrated that the usual straightforward methods of sorting these things out seem to have closed down now. We have both worked all our lives and had good jobs and are at an age now when we shouldn’t really have any major financial problems so to be tightening our belts now is a bit of a bugger. We didn’t spend much in lockdown so plodded along without too many problems but now we are coming out the other side and prices seem to be going up rapidly with everything, it has thrown us a bit of a curveball. I think it is going to be a tough year for many people who have not had financial issues before. Thanks again.
Financial Meltdown on 10:38 - Feb 5 with 2464 viewsCity_boy

Financial Meltdown on 10:16 - Feb 5 by Sadoldgit

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, I really appreciate the input. There are many worse off than us and we are by no means destitute, just frustrated that the usual straightforward methods of sorting these things out seem to have closed down now. We have both worked all our lives and had good jobs and are at an age now when we shouldn’t really have any major financial problems so to be tightening our belts now is a bit of a bugger. We didn’t spend much in lockdown so plodded along without too many problems but now we are coming out the other side and prices seem to be going up rapidly with everything, it has thrown us a bit of a curveball. I think it is going to be a tough year for many people who have not had financial issues before. Thanks again.

I think you right. Many will struggle this year, when all the rises and inflation starts to bite.
These have only just started to take hold, especially fuel bills, petrol, NI, interest rate rises and council tax.

This is on the back of lock down where many found they had a lot of disposable income, after working from home and not being able to go on holiday etc. On top of this, anyone who does have savings is hardly getting any return.

Best wishes SOG. I am sure you will find a solution that works.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 10:39]
Financial Meltdown on 12:28 - Feb 5 with 2411 viewsJaySaint

The work from home jamboree (and net zero) needs paying for.

All worth it, I am sure
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 12:29]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Financial Meltdown on 19:51 - Feb 5 with 2303 viewsBerber

Sorry that things are a bit awry, and enough to cause some worry. We have always taken a lot of solace from the fact, that no matter what else happens, nobody can take our home away. Luckily, we are not faced with that. I'd be very wary of equity release and would consider selling everything that has any value, except the house.

PS if you are not doing so already, shop at Aldi and Lidl, excellent quality at decent prices, the meat and dairy especially.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 19:53]
Financial Meltdown on 20:21 - Feb 5 with 2278 viewsBison

Thank God for Brexit , the jobs SoG's would be going for would be filled by foreigners at 1/2 the rate. At least he can get a decent rate now.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Financial Meltdown on 10:58 - Feb 6 with 2163 viewsSadoldgit

Financial Meltdown on 19:51 - Feb 5 by Berber

Sorry that things are a bit awry, and enough to cause some worry. We have always taken a lot of solace from the fact, that no matter what else happens, nobody can take our home away. Luckily, we are not faced with that. I'd be very wary of equity release and would consider selling everything that has any value, except the house.

PS if you are not doing so already, shop at Aldi and Lidl, excellent quality at decent prices, the meat and dairy especially.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 19:53]

I went to Aldi last week and was amazed at the difference in prices! Not great for some items but as you say meat and dairy were good buys.
Financial Meltdown on 12:03 - Feb 6 with 2123 viewsSaintNick

Financial Meltdown on 10:16 - Feb 5 by Sadoldgit

Equity release could potentially sort out your problems, it has fairly low interest rates and you can pay off money from the mortgage if you want.

If you want more info I can put you in touch with an adviser who will give you some good free advice

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Financial Meltdown on 13:14 - Feb 7 with 2024 viewsBerber

Financial Meltdown on 10:58 - Feb 6 by Sadoldgit

I went to Aldi last week and was amazed at the difference in prices! Not great for some items but as you say meat and dairy were good buys.

We know of two single widows in different parts of the country who have recently started going, instead of Sainsbury and reckon they are saving £20-£30 pw. Tesco reckons to match Aldi prices now, but the quality of their meat isn't so good or consistent. Also, check out the wines in Aldi. They often have respectable labels for excellent prices. Last year they were selling Alberone at £8.99 per bottle compared to £12 in Sainsbury. I can't remember if they ever sell Apothick in there, but that too can be had at decent prices if you keep your eyes out for it. I prefer dryer wines, but these two suit my wife's palate.
Financial Meltdown on 14:55 - Feb 7 with 1975 viewsSadoldgit

Financial Meltdown on 13:14 - Feb 7 by Berber

We know of two single widows in different parts of the country who have recently started going, instead of Sainsbury and reckon they are saving £20-£30 pw. Tesco reckons to match Aldi prices now, but the quality of their meat isn't so good or consistent. Also, check out the wines in Aldi. They often have respectable labels for excellent prices. Last year they were selling Alberone at £8.99 per bottle compared to £12 in Sainsbury. I can't remember if they ever sell Apothick in there, but that too can be had at decent prices if you keep your eyes out for it. I prefer dryer wines, but these two suit my wife's palate.

I have been using Tesco and Sainsburys as they are both nearer but Aldi looks worth doing some extra miles for certain products. I had a quick look at the wine racks when I popped in last week and whilst there was less of a selection the prices were certainly a lot lower. I didn’t recognise many of the brands though. A friend of mine has similar tastes to us and buys a lot of wine there so I will check out his shopping list.
Financial Meltdown on 15:00 - Feb 7 with 1971 viewsSadoldgit

Financial Meltdown on 12:03 - Feb 6 by SaintNick

Equity release could potentially sort out your problems, it has fairly low interest rates and you can pay off money from the mortgage if you want.

If you want more info I can put you in touch with an adviser who will give you some good free advice

Thanks Nick but we have decided against equity release. Both my father in law and mother in law (they are divorced) took out equity a fees years back and they have both been left with large sums to be repaid on their properties which means they now have very little to leave to their dependants.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024