Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread 18:49 - Apr 17 with 19781 viewsHullDale

No interviews etc this week, presumably because of the short turn around from Friday.

By my reckoning we need 2 points (or an Oldham loss) to guarantee safety, but seeing as we're virtually there I'd love to see us just go all out attack and see what our creative players can do. Lets get at them and try to just create chances for Charman, I agree with another poster that a goal tomorrow will do him the world of good.

Presuming everyone is fit, I'd like to see..

Lynch
Taylor Downing Dorsett
O'Keeffe O'Connell Kelly Clark
Grant Charman Cashman

Hartlepool are 3rd bottom of the form table, scoring a goal per match but conceding just more than
1.5 per match too... good opportunity for us to put a performance in in front of hopefully a bigger crowd.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:30 - Apr 19 with 3275 viewsfermin

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:53 - Apr 19 by Shun

I’m a bit perturbed about this, as I was sure you were mistaken but I can’t find anywhere in the rules to say so! I was always under the impression, as others in this thread are, that if the ball is played backwards then it isn’t offside, regardless of whether the receiving player is in an offside position or not.

In my mind it’s always been that way, and it’s something we see on a fairly regular basis on MotD, most notably during counterattacks. I’ve scanned the net and, while it does seem to be a commonly accepted rule, you’re right in that it actually isn’t in the FA’s rules anywhere.

I don't think it applies in this case as from the still posted above Clark is ahead of Downing and he does look potentially offside (difficult to be certain one way or the other from that angle).

More generally, my understanding is that a player cannot be offside if he is behind the ball when the pass is made unless he has come from an offside position. An example could be when a corner taker receives the ball back from a short corner but has run from closer to the goal-line than the ball when the team-mate passes it back or just stops it for him. The direction of the pass is not relevant I believe. If two players are up against the goalkeeper (or no one) and the player with the ball decides to pass then his team mate has to be behind the ball to be onside - if he is in front of the ball, the ball is passed backwards and he then runs back to get it then he is offside and a goal would be disallowed.

None of this is relevant to our game yesterday, though.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:46 - Apr 19 with 3085 viewsD_Dale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 11:19 - Apr 19 by DaleiLama

One of Grant's better games for Dale that one. As Tony mentioned, still pushed off the ball too easily, but that's always going to be the nature of the beast I suspect. He battled really well today and won lots of balls he wouldn't have even gone for not so long ago. Can't ask for more than that.
EOC looked way out of his depth in midfield. Always chasing play, pushing Pool players over and clearly a square peg in a round hole. Good to see him moved back to CB where he looked like he should be and scored that goal.
Jim looked like he'd had a new lease of life.
Much better crossing from Clarke this game (including for the goal) - arguably his best game too.
Special shout out to Luke as well. Worked like a Trojan up front, but his second killer ball in consecutive home ties after the one which put Grant in for his goal last time. Would loved to have seen Doney get his rewards from all that running after Luke's inch perfect assist again.

I've got 3 hopes now for the next couple of months.
The first is we see a bit of Brierley if recalled before the end of the season (as seemed to be suggested by Robbie's comments). The second is we see us playing on the front foot and having a go in the last 3 - win, lose or draw. The third is Robbie looks back over this season in the cold light of day, assessing the tape of all our games, and reflects on what worked and what didn't in given situations and we play more like the 2nd half team from the Pool game than the first next season (although like everyone else, I'm expecting a major churning of the squad this summer).

Given everything else surrounding this campaign post-departure of Roger and BBM and the hole we found ourselves in, we still have a club, we go into next year with a manager who is no longer a rookie and a decent budget to recruit if rumours are to be believed. It wasn't exactly a great escape of "Charlton" proportions, but the feeling now still has some of the hallmarks of that year.

#UTDNFS

A lot of interesting thoughts, DL. To offer a couple of comments: it looks unlikely that Ethan Brierley will feature for Dale next season. He's hardly appeared this year, compared with the previous season. It's a pity for the club as well as the lad.

"I'm expecting a major churning of the squad this summer." Before that, there's the prospect of the 'released list' of players who won't be offered new contracts for the 2022-23 season (plus those loanees returning, 'with thanks', to their home clubs).

And then there's the list of players whose contracts end this summer but are offered new terms (at the end of June, is it? - there's often quite lengthy negotiations involved (maybe what you term 'the churning of the squad').

With the last match of the season only just over two weeks away (on 7 May), I'd be pleasantly surprised to see the team 'playing on the front foot and having a go', but I'd guess Robbie has already made up his mind about the reshaping of the squad.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:08 - Apr 19 with 2811 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:30 - Apr 19 by fermin

I don't think it applies in this case as from the still posted above Clark is ahead of Downing and he does look potentially offside (difficult to be certain one way or the other from that angle).

More generally, my understanding is that a player cannot be offside if he is behind the ball when the pass is made unless he has come from an offside position. An example could be when a corner taker receives the ball back from a short corner but has run from closer to the goal-line than the ball when the team-mate passes it back or just stops it for him. The direction of the pass is not relevant I believe. If two players are up against the goalkeeper (or no one) and the player with the ball decides to pass then his team mate has to be behind the ball to be onside - if he is in front of the ball, the ball is passed backwards and he then runs back to get it then he is offside and a goal would be disallowed.

None of this is relevant to our game yesterday, though.

Wolves had one v Leicester a few years ago where the corner takers heel was offside running back towards his own goal receiving a backwards pass!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 09:56 - Apr 20 with 2508 viewsDaleiLama

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:46 - Apr 19 by D_Dale

A lot of interesting thoughts, DL. To offer a couple of comments: it looks unlikely that Ethan Brierley will feature for Dale next season. He's hardly appeared this year, compared with the previous season. It's a pity for the club as well as the lad.

"I'm expecting a major churning of the squad this summer." Before that, there's the prospect of the 'released list' of players who won't be offered new contracts for the 2022-23 season (plus those loanees returning, 'with thanks', to their home clubs).

And then there's the list of players whose contracts end this summer but are offered new terms (at the end of June, is it? - there's often quite lengthy negotiations involved (maybe what you term 'the churning of the squad').

With the last match of the season only just over two weeks away (on 7 May), I'd be pleasantly surprised to see the team 'playing on the front foot and having a go', but I'd guess Robbie has already made up his mind about the reshaping of the squad.

This was the interview I was referencing in my post you responded to DD.

At 4:45 in Robbie mentions that there is a "decision to make" on Ethan being recalled from Spennymoor (where he has bagged at least one goal from memory) due to us being short-handed, and it was looking likely he would come back. Who knows - if he starts or is subbed and does well .......

The "churn" was indeed related to changes in personnel over the summer. It doesn't look like we'll have a big-money sale, and it remains to be seen who Robbie would like to retain, how much that will cost, and who he would like to bring in in addition. One thing for sure though, there'll be a fair few new faces around.

As for "giving it a go" we'll never know what instructions Robbie was given by the board for this season, despite him saying he wanted to play attractive football during the forum. One thing is for sure though, I'm certain that a back to back double relegation was top of the list of things to be avoided and (I could be wrong here) this might have influenced his team selection/formation/instructions previously. The only point I was making is now that we are safe, we have nothing to lose except a few meaningless places in the league, why not play no fear football from the manager down and see if we can have a few more of those "attractive" games we were promised in the remaining three fixtures.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 10:10]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 11:02 - Apr 20 with 2395 views49thseason

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 09:56 - Apr 20 by DaleiLama

This was the interview I was referencing in my post you responded to DD.

At 4:45 in Robbie mentions that there is a "decision to make" on Ethan being recalled from Spennymoor (where he has bagged at least one goal from memory) due to us being short-handed, and it was looking likely he would come back. Who knows - if he starts or is subbed and does well .......

The "churn" was indeed related to changes in personnel over the summer. It doesn't look like we'll have a big-money sale, and it remains to be seen who Robbie would like to retain, how much that will cost, and who he would like to bring in in addition. One thing for sure though, there'll be a fair few new faces around.

As for "giving it a go" we'll never know what instructions Robbie was given by the board for this season, despite him saying he wanted to play attractive football during the forum. One thing is for sure though, I'm certain that a back to back double relegation was top of the list of things to be avoided and (I could be wrong here) this might have influenced his team selection/formation/instructions previously. The only point I was making is now that we are safe, we have nothing to lose except a few meaningless places in the league, why not play no fear football from the manager down and see if we can have a few more of those "attractive" games we were promised in the remaining three fixtures.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 10:10]

Unless memory fails me, didnt someone here mention a scout watching Grant?

I personally think that the pre and early season managerial enthusiasm was quickly doused by the stark realities of life in L2. Talk of promotion quickly evaporated once Stockdale realised his assembled group of loanees, last minute signings and BBM left-overs was going to struggle to match many sides challenging at the top of the division. In the event, the real stuggle has been to match teams lower down where the physical challenge has been more evident. Still, lessons learned we hope, L2 requires a combination of talented footballers and those capable of taking on the physical challenge we can only hope his next round of recruitment recognises that, Less Newby, more Balls as it were.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 11:42 - Apr 20 with 2330 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 11:02 - Apr 20 by 49thseason

I personally think that the pre and early season managerial enthusiasm was quickly doused by the stark realities of life in L2. Talk of promotion quickly evaporated once Stockdale realised his assembled group of loanees, last minute signings and BBM left-overs was going to struggle to match many sides challenging at the top of the division. In the event, the real stuggle has been to match teams lower down where the physical challenge has been more evident. Still, lessons learned we hope, L2 requires a combination of talented footballers and those capable of taking on the physical challenge we can only hope his next round of recruitment recognises that, Less Newby, more Balls as it were.

I'd say that's a pretty decent analysis of how his thinking may have evolved during the season, whilst learning all the time

It's fine for us to pontificate but the realties of day-to-day with the players is something none of us have experienced (that's not a nod towards "football people" btw, Stockdale's attitude has been spot on throughout)

One player i'd really not be bothered to see let go is COK. He was welcomed back with open arms in January but has been a defensive liability (the Hartlepool goal a case in point) whilst failing to offer much going forward apart from annoying attempts to win a penalty when a shot or pass were on. Maybe Nigel Clough was right...

[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 11:44]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 12:01 - Apr 20 with 2301 viewsDaleiLama

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 11:02 - Apr 20 by 49thseason

Think you're right 49th. I also seem to remember someone told me he was on the bench that day and didn't even play. Not to say the scout didn't come back again. and we may even get offers for him?

Also think whilst this league was more physical, the gulf between top and bottom of L1 has seemed a lot wider most seasons we were there than in L2.

Also agree with DA up the page on all points - in particular COK has started to frustrate me like Newby does now - they try to beat every man in their line of vision thinking it's an all star game and style points are being awarded, when in practice, simplicity is nearly always the best option. Pool's goal being a case in point (even though COK's marking was non-existent).

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 14:47 - Apr 20 with 2051 viewsrichfoad32

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 12:01 - Apr 20 by DaleiLama

Think you're right 49th. I also seem to remember someone told me he was on the bench that day and didn't even play. Not to say the scout didn't come back again. and we may even get offers for him?

Also think whilst this league was more physical, the gulf between top and bottom of L1 has seemed a lot wider most seasons we were there than in L2.

Also agree with DA up the page on all points - in particular COK has started to frustrate me like Newby does now - they try to beat every man in their line of vision thinking it's an all star game and style points are being awarded, when in practice, simplicity is nearly always the best option. Pool's goal being a case in point (even though COK's marking was non-existent).

It was me, apparently a friend of my work colleague was at the Crawley game to watch Grant for Russell Martin at Swansea. And he didn't get on. No idea if they're still keeping tabs on him or how serious their interest is/was. He did score that belter against Walsall the game after though, that won't have done him any harm.

I thought COK was poor his first few games after returning but for me he's picked it up again recently (Monday's sleepwalk aside), I wouldn't be adverse to trying to sign him permanently.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2022 14:56]
Login to get fewer ads

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:40 - Sep 4 with 1170 viewsShun

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:53 - Apr 19 by Shun

I’m a bit perturbed about this, as I was sure you were mistaken but I can’t find anywhere in the rules to say so! I was always under the impression, as others in this thread are, that if the ball is played backwards then it isn’t offside, regardless of whether the receiving player is in an offside position or not.

In my mind it’s always been that way, and it’s something we see on a fairly regular basis on MotD, most notably during counterattacks. I’ve scanned the net and, while it does seem to be a commonly accepted rule, you’re right in that it actually isn’t in the FA’s rules anywhere.

Just to prove to myself that I’m not, in fact, crazy, see United’s third goal today.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024