Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread 18:49 - Apr 17 with 19780 viewsHullDale

No interviews etc this week, presumably because of the short turn around from Friday.

By my reckoning we need 2 points (or an Oldham loss) to guarantee safety, but seeing as we're virtually there I'd love to see us just go all out attack and see what our creative players can do. Lets get at them and try to just create chances for Charman, I agree with another poster that a goal tomorrow will do him the world of good.

Presuming everyone is fit, I'd like to see..

Lynch
Taylor Downing Dorsett
O'Keeffe O'Connell Kelly Clark
Grant Charman Cashman

Hartlepool are 3rd bottom of the form table, scoring a goal per match but conceding just more than
1.5 per match too... good opportunity for us to put a performance in in front of hopefully a bigger crowd.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:49 - Apr 18 with 3928 viewsdawlishdale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:19 - Apr 18 by dingdangblue

He didn't come from an offside position (he couldn't as it was a corner) and he wasn't offside when Downing passed - there was at least 1 defender and the goalkeeper playing him on.
On this occasion the linesman made a mistake.

It wasn't the linesman. He definitely kept his flag down for 5 or 6 seconds after the "goal". it was the referee who used his headset to tell the linesman to flag.

I was baffled at the time, as, although it wasn't direct from a corner, when Downing passed the ball across goal, there was at least one defender plus an onrushing goalkeeper nearer to their goal than Clarke was.

I have just watched the highlights, and frozen the picture when the ball was played to Clarke, and he is a yard or two onside.

Baffling by the ref. Thankfully; it didn't matter in the end.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:01 - Apr 18 with 3853 views442Dale

Thought it looked onside at the time but having watched watched it on Sky Sports site and paused it at various stages, can see EXACTLY why the linesman may have given it. Clark comes from between keeper and defender so just before Downing makes contact he would have been off. Possibly on when the ball is played but that's up for debate.

The ref is stood near the edge of the area so can see no reason why he’d have had any input about where players were.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Apr 18 with 3775 viewsdale1968

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:11 - Apr 18 by HullDale

Brilliant goal to win it after a much better second half. Also some more shithousery from Charman after it that I missed in the heat of the moment!

If we keep O'Keeffe, a mixture of him / Charman / Ball next season could wind a few fans up.

Interesting post match from Stockdale too:

After everything that has gone on, we have a club to support that is in the EFL again next season, with a board and manager who will have had the steepest of learning curves this year. Onwards & upwards!

UTDNFS.

Love Charmans reaction towards the Pool Fans..No love lost there from the ex Darlo Man...

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Apr 18 with 3771 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:01 - Apr 18 by 442Dale

Thought it looked onside at the time but having watched watched it on Sky Sports site and paused it at various stages, can see EXACTLY why the linesman may have given it. Clark comes from between keeper and defender so just before Downing makes contact he would have been off. Possibly on when the ball is played but that's up for debate.

The ref is stood near the edge of the area so can see no reason why he’d have had any input about where players were.

Just my impression, but with the new rule about flagging for offside having changed, the linesman may have told the ref it was offside but hadn't raised his flag (he should've done when the ball went in the net). All that happened subsequently was the ref telling the linesman to raise his flag so everyone would know that was the decision

Poor by the linesman, but unsurprised when the new rules do nothing except create unnecessary confusion. During the first half, a Dale player did a completely unnecessary 30-yard dash to chase the ball down when he was clearly offside but the linesman hadn't flagged

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:19 - Apr 18 with 3722 viewsleedsdale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Apr 18 by dale1968

Love Charmans reaction towards the Pool Fans..No love lost there from the ex Darlo Man...

That was the best I have seen Charman play, with the caveat that I haven’t seen all the games he has been involved in. He seemed to be a bit fitter and willing to run with the ball at his feet, showing some good skill in particular in the first half down near the corner of the Main stand/Pearl St in particular. The way he created the opening for Done to hit the bar was also very good. It would be nice if he could at least get one goal before the end of the season to give his confidence an extra boost.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:24 - Apr 18 with 3675 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Just my impression, but with the new rule about flagging for offside having changed, the linesman may have told the ref it was offside but hadn't raised his flag (he should've done when the ball went in the net). All that happened subsequently was the ref telling the linesman to raise his flag so everyone would know that was the decision

Poor by the linesman, but unsurprised when the new rules do nothing except create unnecessary confusion. During the first half, a Dale player did a completely unnecessary 30-yard dash to chase the ball down when he was clearly offside but the linesman hadn't flagged

Or, the assistant wanted to check with the referee which player had touched the ball into the net, as it would have been very difficult to see clearly across a crowded area; hence the delayed flag.

Regardless, as 442 says, video footage is inconclusive despite claims to the contrary on here and elsewhere. If Clark's big toe was beyond the Pools defender, he was offside, even if the rest of him wasn't.

BTW, what was that question you asked about dates?
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 22:31]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:32 - Apr 18 with 3651 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:24 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

Or, the assistant wanted to check with the referee which player had touched the ball into the net, as it would have been very difficult to see clearly across a crowded area; hence the delayed flag.

Regardless, as 442 says, video footage is inconclusive despite claims to the contrary on here and elsewhere. If Clark's big toe was beyond the Pools defender, he was offside, even if the rest of him wasn't.

The least played-on date, between 1 Sep-30 Apr excluding 29 Feb & Xmas Day

And it'd be of interest to know in which years Dale have played at home on Xmas Day, further to my dad claiming he'd seen them play on Xmas morning!

[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 22:34]

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:39 - Apr 18 with 3610 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:24 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

If video evidence is inconclusive and it was difficult for the linesman to see across a crowded area I'm surprised he flagged.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:45 - Apr 18 with 3583 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:32 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

The least played-on date, between 1 Sep-30 Apr excluding 29 Feb & Xmas Day

And it'd be of interest to know in which years Dale have played at home on Xmas Day, further to my dad claiming he'd seen them play on Xmas morning!

[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 22:34]

In terms of league games only, it's 16th November, on which we have only played 5 times. However, that's down to it often coinciding with the FA Cup.

If we include cup ties, the least frequent date in that time period is 24th December (6 games), followed by 10th January (7 games) and 22nd/23rd December (8 games each).

We played 11 home games (and 11 away) on Christmas Day. The home games were in:
1924/25
1926/27
1928/29
1929/30
1934/35
1935/36
1936/37
1937/38
1946/47
1953/54
1957/58

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:47 - Apr 18 with 3566 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:39 - Apr 18 by dingdangblue

If video evidence is inconclusive and it was difficult for the linesman to see across a crowded area I'm surprised he flagged.

Inconclusive video evidence to us doesn't mean it was inconclusive when in line with it.

Difficult to see doesn't mean it couldn't be seen.

Anyway, without it we might not have had O'Connell's wonderful goal.

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:00 - Apr 18 with 3515 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:45 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

In terms of league games only, it's 16th November, on which we have only played 5 times. However, that's down to it often coinciding with the FA Cup.

If we include cup ties, the least frequent date in that time period is 24th December (6 games), followed by 10th January (7 games) and 22nd/23rd December (8 games each).

We played 11 home games (and 11 away) on Christmas Day. The home games were in:
1924/25
1926/27
1928/29
1929/30
1934/35
1935/36
1936/37
1937/38
1946/47
1953/54
1957/58

Thanks very much for that

Of those dates (due to the others being in and around the Christmas period) the 10th January stands out. Just a statistical oddity i suppose... or it may be that matches were due to be played on that date but were postponed due to the weather, of which no records remain

I'm guessing the Christmas Day fixture(s) my dad attended would've been in the 1930s, but it seems to have been quite a regular event! I wonder if there's anyone who reads this messageboard who attended the last one, in 1957/58 (Big Kindo?)

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:12 - Apr 18 with 3482 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:00 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Of those dates (due to the others being in and around the Christmas period) the 10th January stands out. Just a statistical oddity i suppose... or it may be that matches were due to be played on that date but were postponed due to the weather, of which no records remain

I'm guessing the Christmas Day fixture(s) my dad attended would've been in the 1930s, but it seems to have been quite a regular event! I wonder if there's anyone who reads this messageboard who attended the last one, in 1957/58 (Big Kindo?)

... as well as the first one!

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:16 - Apr 18 with 3476 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:47 - Apr 18 by TVOS1907

Inconclusive video evidence to us doesn't mean it was inconclusive when in line with it.

Difficult to see doesn't mean it couldn't be seen.

Anyway, without it we might not have had O'Connell's wonderful goal.

You know its a bad decision when no one else in the ground has seen it. Not even the Hartlepool players.
Very poor officiating.
Question - if he doesn't flag are we debating that it was possibly offside?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:41 - Apr 18 with 3422 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:16 - Apr 18 by dingdangblue

You know its a bad decision when no one else in the ground has seen it. Not even the Hartlepool players.
Very poor officiating.
Question - if he doesn't flag are we debating that it was possibly offside?

No idea. None of us do.

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 07:43 - Apr 19 with 3103 viewsAltDaleComms

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread (n/t) on 08:44 - Apr 19 with 2946 viewsSandyDrum

With all due respect to anyone on here who is absolutely adamant that Clark wasn't offside - I've linked a screen shot of the moment it leaves Downing's boot below.

There is nobody at the back post playing him onside and from my point of view, although very close it looks like Clark is marginally ahead of the defender on the near post.

A close one, yes - but I think the linesman got it right on this occassion.

https://imgur.com/a/iriCKfq
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 8:49]

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 09:43 - Apr 19 with 2771 viewsnordenblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Apr 18 by dale1968

A perfect strike to win any game.. it looks like there maybe a slight deflection off their defenders leg that just takes the ball over the keepers diving arm
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 09:50 - Apr 19 with 2752 viewspioneer

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 23:00 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Early January dates could also be affected by FACup third round games.

Given until recently we rarely got that far we might have faced blank dates when our scheduled opponents were playing in the cup.

Christmas eve has gone the way of christmas day with it being kept free of regular league games over the past 20 years or so.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 10:19 - Apr 19 with 2664 viewsDale_4_Life

Fantastic second half that's much better on the front foot.

Fantastic run and strike to secure 3 points an the magical 50 is now on the board!

Up the Dale - Not for Sale! Ever!
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 11:19 - Apr 19 with 2553 viewsDaleiLama

One of Grant's better games for Dale that one. As Tony mentioned, still pushed off the ball too easily, but that's always going to be the nature of the beast I suspect. He battled really well today and won lots of balls he wouldn't have even gone for not so long ago. Can't ask for more than that.
EOC looked way out of his depth in midfield. Always chasing play, pushing Pool players over and clearly a square peg in a round hole. Good to see him moved back to CB where he looked like he should be and scored that goal.
Jim looked like he'd had a new lease of life.
Much better crossing from Clarke this game (including for the goal) - arguably his best game too.
Special shout out to Luke as well. Worked like a Trojan up front, but his second killer ball in consecutive home ties after the one which put Grant in for his goal last time. Would loved to have seen Doney get his rewards from all that running after Luke's inch perfect assist again.

I've got 3 hopes now for the next couple of months.
The first is we see a bit of Brierley if recalled before the end of the season (as seemed to be suggested by Robbie's comments). The second is we see us playing on the front foot and having a go in the last 3 - win, lose or draw. The third is Robbie looks back over this season in the cold light of day, assessing the tape of all our games, and reflects on what worked and what didn't in given situations and we play more like the 2nd half team from the Pool game than the first next season (although like everyone else, I'm expecting a major churning of the squad this summer).

Given everything else surrounding this campaign post-departure of Roger and BBM and the hole we found ourselves in, we still have a club, we go into next year with a manager who is no longer a rookie and a decent budget to recruit if rumours are to be believed. It wasn't exactly a great escape of "Charlton" proportions, but the feeling now still has some of the hallmarks of that year.

#UTDNFS

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 12:30 - Apr 19 with 2360 viewsZac_B

The Swiss lads who attended yesterday absolutely loved the second half (let's just forget about the first half eh) and are eager to come back and watch again soon. Them being in the Sandy when that goal went in is a script nobody could have written better!
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 15:26 - Apr 19 with 2048 viewsmikehunt

Big Jim got my MOTM too - if only for the fact that he made me forget Dorsett wasn’t playing.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:15 - Apr 19 with 1820 viewsEllDale

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I'm presuming that Dorsett was injured?
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:20 - Apr 19 with 1796 viewsisitme

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:15 - Apr 19 by EllDale

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I'm presuming that Dorsett was injured?

In his post mathc interview Stockdale said that Dorsett injured his ankle in training and will miss the rest of the season.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:53 - Apr 19 with 1726 viewsShun

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:13 - Apr 18 by love_the_dale

Re -
"The rules are, if the ball is played backwards you can’t be offside, no matter where you are on the pitch".
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. There is no mention in the laws of the ball being played backwards, sideways or forwards.

I didn't see the game due to having covid and having problems getting in to iFollow, so I didn't see the incident. I am simply disputing your premise.

I am assuming that he was in an offside position when the pass was made.
The following is a copy of the relevant part of the law.

2. Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched*
by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
- interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by
a team-mate or .....

I'm guessing that, since he put the ball in the net, he did touch the ball.

This part of the laws was the same as it was when I was refereeing 45 years ago :)

I’m a bit perturbed about this, as I was sure you were mistaken but I can’t find anywhere in the rules to say so! I was always under the impression, as others in this thread are, that if the ball is played backwards then it isn’t offside, regardless of whether the receiving player is in an offside position or not.

In my mind it’s always been that way, and it’s something we see on a fairly regular basis on MotD, most notably during counterattacks. I’ve scanned the net and, while it does seem to be a commonly accepted rule, you’re right in that it actually isn’t in the FA’s rules anywhere.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024