Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everton 09:08 - May 2 with 1047 viewsPatfromPoole

I have little time for Everton.

But I have a grudging admiration for the effort their fans went to yesterday to make the game a proper cauldron and really intimidating for Chelsea.

Was all a bit old school. No pissing about on mobile phones. Nor even silly songs. Just a lot of constant noise.

Made me wonder whether we could do the same.

Would like to think so. But I have my doubts.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Everton on 09:28 - May 2 with 969 viewssaintwizzler

We plod on

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Everton on 11:08 - May 2 with 897 viewsA1079

In the face of adversity people react different. We may know in a couple of weeks or so if we still need something at Leicester City. In my ideal world we will create a cauldron against Liverpool and dent their title ambitions but also secure our future, but I am not holding my breath.

I have seen Saints fans really get behind their team when we have had to - both home and away but at the moment I sense frustration and disappointment amongst the fans at the manner in which the players and manager has approached the last quarter of this season. Not really that surprising.
Everton on 13:14 - May 2 with 808 viewskingslandstand1

The atmosphere at Goodison certainly came across just by watching the game on the box. SMS has had atmosphere but not in the way it did yesterday
At SMS it generally starts well and if we're still holding on to that 1 or maybe 2 goal lead in the last 5 mins or so it can make hairs stand on back of neck, but that's because we are in winning situations
I don't recall a great deal of continuous atmosphere even when we were leading
And alas, when it was probably needed Saturday it was not there and there were even boos at the final whistle. I felt for JWP and a couple of others at the end when they did their walk round at the final whistle clapping to virtually empty stands.
So are we all just apathetic accepting the situation?
And then Ralph is quoted in the Sunday reports that "when we are in the position to make the next step we fail and maybe we fail because we are not good enough". Comments like that,although we all probably know that, do not really help or encourage the fans to get behind the team
Everton on 14:18 - May 2 with 760 viewsgrumpy

My Grandfather was a Evertonian so I do have a connection there.
The Everton fans are as passionate as any other and when their in trouble they really get behind the team.
Not to be messed about off the pitch too as Millwall found out recently.
They have a healthy respect for Saints fans too.
Saints fans are also as passionate as any other, anyone who doubts that should have been at Stamford Bridge in 76.
Everton on 14:37 - May 2 with 747 viewsSaintsforeverj

Everton on 14:18 - May 2 by grumpy

My Grandfather was a Evertonian so I do have a connection there.
The Everton fans are as passionate as any other and when their in trouble they really get behind the team.
Not to be messed about off the pitch too as Millwall found out recently.
They have a healthy respect for Saints fans too.
Saints fans are also as passionate as any other, anyone who doubts that should have been at Stamford Bridge in 76.

Quite right Grumps. Saints fans turn up when needed. Have we all forgotten the 10 thousand fans who travelled to Dellhurst Park, a sea of colour and passionate support inside and outside the ground? The cup final against Arsenal and Man U? St Mary's was something else when we played Inter Milan too. We might not stand on bus shelters or throw flairs as the team bus arrives, (maybe we have more style that that!)
but if needed, our fans would be there in voice and in colour.
[Post edited 2 May 2022 14:40]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Everton on 14:50 - May 2 with 717 viewskingslandstand1

Everton on 14:37 - May 2 by Saintsforeverj

Quite right Grumps. Saints fans turn up when needed. Have we all forgotten the 10 thousand fans who travelled to Dellhurst Park, a sea of colour and passionate support inside and outside the ground? The cup final against Arsenal and Man U? St Mary's was something else when we played Inter Milan too. We might not stand on bus shelters or throw flairs as the team bus arrives, (maybe we have more style that that!)
but if needed, our fans would be there in voice and in colour.
[Post edited 2 May 2022 14:40]

You are both correct, they (we!) can be (also a mention for the JPT final and you quite rightly mention 2003 - how many losing finalist fans stayed behind as we did that day - , but there are times when the apparent apathy from the players rubs off and frustrates the crowd as we saw on Saturday.

It could well be that we all believe we are safe, but mathematically we are not although I'd like to think the 8 point cushion we currently have will be sufficient, but look at the stats over the last 8 or 9 games would tell you that we should be looking over our shoulders and where the Everton fans rallied even further behind the team when being 1 up we did for a while until Palace equalised and we had the inevitable "your support is fkng sh1t" chant, and tbh, they were probably right at that point

We can and do create an atmosphere but just not as much as others at times when I'd like to think we could do with some. It would generally be interesting to know what the players (genuinely, not PR B/S) think when they hear more noise from 3000 away fans, and hardly any from 27000 home fans
Everton on 14:51 - May 2 with 715 viewskingslandstand1

Everton on 14:50 - May 2 by kingslandstand1

You are both correct, they (we!) can be (also a mention for the JPT final and you quite rightly mention 2003 - how many losing finalist fans stayed behind as we did that day - , but there are times when the apparent apathy from the players rubs off and frustrates the crowd as we saw on Saturday.

It could well be that we all believe we are safe, but mathematically we are not although I'd like to think the 8 point cushion we currently have will be sufficient, but look at the stats over the last 8 or 9 games would tell you that we should be looking over our shoulders and where the Everton fans rallied even further behind the team when being 1 up we did for a while until Palace equalised and we had the inevitable "your support is fkng sh1t" chant, and tbh, they were probably right at that point

We can and do create an atmosphere but just not as much as others at times when I'd like to think we could do with some. It would generally be interesting to know what the players (genuinely, not PR B/S) think when they hear more noise from 3000 away fans, and hardly any from 27000 home fans

Oh, forgot to mention the 7000 that went to Milan and outsung the Italians for most of the game!
Everton on 15:00 - May 2 with 708 viewsSaintsforeverj

Everton on 14:51 - May 2 by kingslandstand1

Oh, forgot to mention the 7000 that went to Milan and outsung the Italians for most of the game!

And that was a great trip. Milan, a great city, bumping into hords of Saints fans round every corner, on every bridge, in every bar and in every cafe. Benali stickers on every taxi and bus shelter! We are just like any other fans. Everton fans were dreadful when they had managers they didn't like. Goodison was quiet and full of boos and protests. The PL is a bit boring at times, so there isn't a lot to get excited about but in relegation battles, European adventures, and cup runs, it's exciting and fans come alive.

It's just a bit dull isn't it, losing at home to Palace in the battle for 14th, so the fans are dull too. Give us some excitement and something to cheer, we always turn up in our numbers.
[Post edited 2 May 2022 15:02]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Login to get fewer ads

Everton on 15:28 - May 2 with 675 viewsBerber

Everton on 15:00 - May 2 by Saintsforeverj

And that was a great trip. Milan, a great city, bumping into hords of Saints fans round every corner, on every bridge, in every bar and in every cafe. Benali stickers on every taxi and bus shelter! We are just like any other fans. Everton fans were dreadful when they had managers they didn't like. Goodison was quiet and full of boos and protests. The PL is a bit boring at times, so there isn't a lot to get excited about but in relegation battles, European adventures, and cup runs, it's exciting and fans come alive.

It's just a bit dull isn't it, losing at home to Palace in the battle for 14th, so the fans are dull too. Give us some excitement and something to cheer, we always turn up in our numbers.
[Post edited 2 May 2022 15:02]

Our current travails are all too predictable. It isn’t as if the squad cannot do better, they have shown what they are capable of. It is all in the head, much like Redmond is for much of every season. In that regard, they are, as RH suggests, not good enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024