Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? 00:50 - Sep 2 with 16007 viewsDylanP

We have heaps of midfielders and we brought in another one at the end of the transfer window. Meanwhile, we have nobody up top who can score.

Dykes, Bonne, Roberts, and Armstrong.

Admittedly, Armstrong has looked exciting in his sub appearances. But the Gaffer doesn't trust him to start. Meanwhile, Dykes huffs and puff, but he isn't actually adding to the scoreline, which is what a striker is there to do. Nobody seems to trust Bonne and Roberts hasn't played much.

We've scored 12 goals this season, 2 from strikers -- one each for Dykes and Roberts. That is pathetic. Laird has as many goals as Dykes this season Actually, so has Seny FFS!

You cannot have consistency when you are expecting goals from midfield and defense every week. Midfielders are supposed to contribute to the goalscoring, not be the only ones on the scoresheet.

Maybe Dykes will come good. But why would anyone believe that? Considering that with the exception of a short spurt last season he hasn't done anything for us. He's scored about once every 4 games throughout his QPR career. Not exactly setting the house on fire, is it.

We are scoring goals for fun right now thanks to Chair and Willock, but its putting too much pressure on those two to do everything. We need someone in front of them who can pitch in too

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:07 - Sep 2 with 2437 viewsqpr1976

Don't agree that Dykes is a watcher. I see no lack of effort.

Perhaps, no matter where your supporting the Team from, be it at the ground, from home, behind a computer/phone or from another country/continent, let's support him, encourage him, spur him on just like his team mates and the crowd did on Tuesday after his horror miss. He WILL score, just maybe not every time or as much as you might like. (IMO)
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:15 - Sep 2 with 2385 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 10:32 - Sep 2 by gazza1

Have a look at this page........midfielders

www.qpr.co.uk/squads/first-team/

The way Beale has set the team up to play we will need at least 6 midfielders - Field, Johanssen, Dozzell, Amos, Richard's and the new bloke Tim.
There is no way the midfield can operate at the intensity they showed against Hull Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday without rotation.
So to me it looks like a good decision to prioritize a midfielder.
Also, we dont have the budget for a decent striker, so we support the players we have.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:16 - Sep 2 with 2379 viewsstantheman10

Obviously MB couldn't identify any affordable decent strikers so what is the point of bringing in someone who is no better than we've already got?
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:18 - Sep 2 with 2376 viewsNorthernr

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:16 - Sep 2 by stantheman10

Obviously MB couldn't identify any affordable decent strikers so what is the point of bringing in someone who is no better than we've already got?

None at all, but there is a prevailing attitude now, particularly among the supporters who follow it through social media, that the whole game is about signings and if you're not making signings you're not doing it right, and whether the signings are any good or not doesn't really matter because come the next window they'll just be demanding another dozen signings over the top of those signings. See how quickly they went from "announce Austin bro or I'll kill my nan bro" to "Austin's fcking sht bro get out of my football club bro" last season.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:23 - Sep 2 with 2351 viewsstantheman10

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:15 - Sep 2 by Wilkinswatercarrier

The way Beale has set the team up to play we will need at least 6 midfielders - Field, Johanssen, Dozzell, Amos, Richard's and the new bloke Tim.
There is no way the midfield can operate at the intensity they showed against Hull Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday without rotation.
So to me it looks like a good decision to prioritize a midfielder.
Also, we dont have the budget for a decent striker, so we support the players we have.

I'm not comparing us to them but didn't Manc $hitty play without a striker for most of last season? It didn't do them much harm!
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:27 - Sep 2 with 2342 viewsSuperhoop83

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:18 - Sep 2 by Northernr

None at all, but there is a prevailing attitude now, particularly among the supporters who follow it through social media, that the whole game is about signings and if you're not making signings you're not doing it right, and whether the signings are any good or not doesn't really matter because come the next window they'll just be demanding another dozen signings over the top of those signings. See how quickly they went from "announce Austin bro or I'll kill my nan bro" to "Austin's fcking sht bro get out of my football club bro" last season.

It doesn't help when there is a 24 hour jizz fest on Sky Sports News over Chelsea spending £255,000,000 and Forest signing more players than 'Arry ever managed to sign.

As you say, thank god it's over. Fcuk Sky.

Suffering since 1978.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:30 - Sep 2 with 2320 viewsNorthernr

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:27 - Sep 2 by Superhoop83

It doesn't help when there is a 24 hour jizz fest on Sky Sports News over Chelsea spending £255,000,000 and Forest signing more players than 'Arry ever managed to sign.

As you say, thank god it's over. Fcuk Sky.

Even the big beast journos like Henry Winter on non tabloid papers now reducing themselves to "they've had a good window" if 'they've' signed a tonne of players and "they've had a bad window" if they haven't.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:34 - Sep 2 with 2291 viewsaston_hoop

Each to their own but I'm feeling pretty positive about our squad at the moment. Beale said he didn't want a best 11 but rather have 16 or 17 first team players at that level. I think we have that. Dykes, Bonne, Armstrong, Roberts and even Willock (thats 1 goal every 74 minutes this season Willock) are a decent set of options. I know some prefer to live in their bubble of misery but there are so many teams in this division who'd kill to have options like ours. Ask opposition fans, you'll see.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:44 - Sep 2 with 2222 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Dykes is certainly capable of scoring a few - he looked lethal against Reading last season. Just need to get his confidence up. At the moment he is overthinking things when he's got the chance of a shot on goal. One thing Charlie at his peak was brilliant at doing was hitting it when he got a sight of goal.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:02 - Sep 2 with 2157 viewsDANRANGER

We need to protect our assets, so if its a choice I'm much happier giving better deals to willock/chair to either keep them or maintain sell on than give to a second rate striker. Squad looks decent and Beale factor could be massive.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:04 - Sep 2 with 2154 viewsLoftgirl

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 09:59 - Sep 2 by Sonofpugwash

Some misguided people on social media are touting the idea of Andy Carroll.
You'd be better off with Carol Vorderman.

And much more watchable.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:20 - Sep 2 with 2072 viewsconnell10

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:04 - Sep 2 by Loftgirl

And much more watchable.

Mmmmmm Vorders .... lovely

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:27 - Sep 2 with 2045 viewsCamberleyR

Chair and Willock in the old 2-3-5 or W-M days would have been considered as inside forwards i.e. the supporting forwards either side of the centre forward with the outside right and left on the wings. This is pretty much how they are playing in Beale's 4-3-2-1 (Venables' old Christmas tree?) formation with them pushing forward and supporting Dykes in the centre forward role.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:48 - Sep 2 with 1993 viewsGroveR

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:23 - Sep 2 by stantheman10

I'm not comparing us to them but didn't Manc $hitty play without a striker for most of last season? It didn't do them much harm!

Spain dominated world football for a decade without an out-and-out striker (and Fernando Torres). Does help when your midfield is Iniesta, Xavi and Alonso.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 12:58 - Sep 2 with 1927 viewsderbyhoop

Both Chair and Willock in Sky's team.of the month for August.
Strikers, who needs them?
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 12:59]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 13:33 - Sep 2 with 1822 viewsTW_R

I'm pretty sure the last time we won this league we had a midfielder who scored 19 goals, far more than any of our strikers.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 13:37 - Sep 2 with 1812 viewsjoe90

Have we already forgotten about Tyler Roberts?

We've scored the third most goals so far this season...we've also conceded a fair few.

When it comes to windows I've always preferred sash. Classier look.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 13:39]
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 13:40 - Sep 2 with 1805 viewsHAYESBOY

I think what we have now is some pace in the side in important areas.

The fullbacks, Tyler Roberts and I think Tim whatshisname has some pace.
Chair seems to have picked up a yard or two as well.
Armstrong as an option has pace.
Only time will tell if we should have got a striker in.

Smells like a trout farm in here

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 13:49 - Sep 2 with 1783 viewsLythamR

I am as happy as Larry

I cant think of any striker we could have got that would have compensated fo rlosing Willock or Chair at the moment. we kept all our best players and the development pathway is wide open for Armstrong to stake a claim

its all gravy
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 14:44 - Sep 2 with 1627 viewsgazza1

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 13:33 - Sep 2 by TW_R

I'm pretty sure the last time we won this league we had a midfielder who scored 19 goals, far more than any of our strikers.

He may have done but he had ZERO defensive responsibilities - he was allowed to do whatever he wanted basically, today all the players have defensive responsibilities......
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 15:01 - Sep 2 with 1585 viewsdenhamhoop2

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:23 - Sep 2 by stantheman10

Throw in France 98 won the World Cup with Guivarach as their centre forward and France 2018 won the World Cup with Giroud at centre forward who didn't have a single shot in the Tournament. Even from QPR recent history Helgusson was not a 20 a season striker but his all round game made him virtually irreplaceable in that team. I can remember a season where Preston made the playoffs with Dichio at centre forward who didn't score all season with Agyemang as his back up. This team is built around the double 10 system and if the donkey work he provides gives them time and space then he is doing his job
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 15:03 - Sep 2 with 1583 viewsLogman

I think Beale and before him, Warburton, know where the game is going. Out and out strikers get tightly marked by one, if not two centre backs, pretty much all game and it is important to get your full backs and ACM's behind the back four and in space 25 yards out. We have seen this clearly in the last two games.

Dykes, Bonne and Armstrong can all be target men so so long as we have Laird, Paal, Willock, Chair, Roberts etc. playing their part we will be OK.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 16:16 - Sep 2 with 1463 viewsdenhamhoop2

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 09:24 - Sep 2 by gazza1

I understand Norf but a striker should have been in the plans (at the top) and not be talking about back-up LB's and 35 year old CB's and more midfielders and nfailing to get rid of a few players that will never make a regular 1st team player.....and more!!!

The problem is that getting rid of players you don't want you have to find someone else willing to take them and their wages. It was a reason Chris Plummer was with us for 10 seasons but only ever played 62 games I would imagine most are on wages above and beyond their true market value.
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:48 - Sep 2 with 1275 viewsstainrods_elbow

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:59 - Sep 2 by Hastings_Hoops

Exactly as other replies have said…. The original post answers its own question - we’ve scored 12 goals in 8 games (one of the highest scorers in the league) and held on to our top scorers (attackers) who have scored a goal every 74 and 189 minutes respectively this season, do we need a ‘striker’? our existing striker already fulfilling his primary role of being a battering ram to create the goals… when
It clicks and Dykes has his inevitably run of 8 goals in 8 games that will be a bonus.

Actually 12 goals in 7 (league) games, Hastings. We're fourth top scorers, which, with a no. 9 who can't hit a bovine anus with a stringed instrument right now, certainly isn't too shabby. For context, though, we've let in almost as many, and are fourth bottom four goals conceded (10).

After seven games last season, we'd actually scored 15 and concded 10, with the same number of points.

I see a lot of (exciting) similarities between mid-period Warbsball and early doors Bealeball, albeit Warbs tried to do it with wing backs and Beale's doing it with (upgraded) full backs, so the mental and physical spine of the team is likely to be crucial - both of which I think Beale is seriously addressing. A lot hangs on what kind of form and goal return Roberts ends up producing. Willock and Chair pull so many strings for us (to make up for all those Dykes is missing with his banjo) let's hope to the footballing gods they stay fit and in form.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2022 18:16]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 18:51 - Sep 2 with 1269 viewsstainrods_elbow

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 11:18 - Sep 2 by Northernr

I don't think anyone's demanding 'a dozen signings' or anything like it - get a grip, man! I and they are just pointing out the club's not had a seriously decent, fit, and committed goal-scoring striker for so long it looks like they have an inexplicable aversion.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024