Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! 15:13 - Jan 3 with 1085 viewsvid

As the title says where exactly did it all go wrong ?

Think Southampton fc and you used to think attacking football good to watch entertaining all things which have been lacking for years . Beating Liverpool and giving big teams a run for their money used to be sfc now it’s Brentford . Have we really fallen that far down yeh e pecking order ? Brentford . Brighton Fulham they are all better than us !
Have we been blind and let these teams taken over ? Surely the owner’s manager players cannot be happy that wr are slipping down the quality table at alarming rate !
Have we kidded ourselves for too long
Maybe our level is championship
Any way I have put it out there
Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 15:24 - Jan 3 with 1050 viewsTripleNiemi

The Premier League is very ‘cyclic’ in my opinion and provided clubs like ours ‘survive’ the turbulent times, one season we (along with the likes of Villa, Everton, Brentford, Palace etc. etc.) can finish say 17th and the next we can get into nosebleed territory such as anything from around 10th to 15th (look at WHU over last season or do and us during the Koeman years). Yes the club said it was all down to the black box bollôx, but the crux of it is down to a clubs manager and getting lucky on the player recruitment side.

Sadly we are now in that position where the team has been diluted of quality and have dispensed with a manager that did (gonna get slated) manage to keep us in this league with the squad we have. Now this year is just gonna be the one that we need to survive and hope we can then get someone in that has a tap of players they can call on / recruit. Sadly could be a problem staying up based on the trend of results and having an inexperienced guy at the helm who the players likely don’t respect.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2023 15:33]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 15:30 - Jan 3 with 1037 viewsdwayne_dibley

you may have their business model all wrong.

Instead of keeping in the Premiership poodling along in the bottom five but paying Premiership wages there is an alternative as exercised by the likes of WBA, Norwich and Fulham.

The alternate strategy is to drop down to the Championship every three years. Keep the Premier League parachute payments but only pay out top Championship wages (significantly lower than the Premiership). The parachute payment income is used in part to buy the better Championship player material to ensure promotion on a regular basis.

In Saint's case this year the owners are probably betting they have the makings of a good Championship side thereby reducing the need to buy. Relegation contract clauses will reduce play wages to a more profitable level.

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 15:42 - Jan 3 with 1016 viewsCenturion

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 15:30 - Jan 3 by dwayne_dibley

you may have their business model all wrong.

Instead of keeping in the Premiership poodling along in the bottom five but paying Premiership wages there is an alternative as exercised by the likes of WBA, Norwich and Fulham.

The alternate strategy is to drop down to the Championship every three years. Keep the Premier League parachute payments but only pay out top Championship wages (significantly lower than the Premiership). The parachute payment income is used in part to buy the better Championship player material to ensure promotion on a regular basis.

In Saint's case this year the owners are probably betting they have the makings of a good Championship side thereby reducing the need to buy. Relegation contract clauses will reduce play wages to a more profitable level.

March 2022 at Villa Park.
Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:07 - Jan 3 with 972 viewsBerber

Since the Bindippers pillaged the talent, apart from Ince, we have not had aPL quality striker. It isn’t entertaining if you can’t score goals. Spotting real talent has fallen away. Adams and Armstrong were bought off the back of single seasons success in the Championship. Easy, lazy work from the scouts, and worse from the DoF.
Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:12 - Jan 3 with 959 viewskingslandstand1

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 15:42 - Jan 3 by Centurion

Could have been 6 if not for Forster, and almost certainly 7 with Bazuma and highlights for Saints? One shot but Adams

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:36 - Jan 3 with 927 viewsLondonSaint76

I think I can answer that one - to pinpoint it exactly, it was the day Markus Leibherr sadly passed away. Looking back on it now, our bright future died alongside him on that fateful day, the 10th August 2010. If he could see what has happened to his beloved Club since that sad day he would be turning in his grave - actually, spinning in it like a rotisserie in a kebab shop window...
First up, Katharina Liebherr, who in my opinion has a lot to answer for. Supposed to be 'fulfilling her father's legacy at SFC' - basically talked the talk but never really walked the walk. Deep pockets, short arms... Dithered so long over guarantees of finance for targeted signings for us to push on to the next level that it cost us Nicola Cortese - different class to the current shower; neither Semmens or Sport (Banana) Republic are fit to lace his boots as the saying goes...
Next up Gao Jisheng, now, I do have a small degree of sympathy for him - if memory serves me correctly, about a week, maybe two, after he came on board the Chinese Government froze the assets of a whole host of Chinese billionaires stating they could not move their money abroad to spend on overseas projects and even made specific reference to bankrolling European football Clubs. So, he was just very unlucky as we now had a billionaire with the majority of his money that he could not spend outside of China. Where that degree of sympathy quickly evaporates is as follows; at the point most of his assets were frozen he should have had the decency to hold up his hands and say, look, this isn't going to work now, and put his stake back up for sale to someone who could freely splash their cash on SFC.
And finally, step forward Banana Republic, the Spreadsheet Kings and Moneyballers assisted by our latest billionaire Dragan Å olak - I suspect that this one is an 'Asset Billionaire' so, he has it on paper in terms of the value of businesses he owns but does not have millions and millions of spare cash to splash such as Abramovic had and Boehly has, along with the Gulf State Princes…
So, in conclusion, exactly where it all went wrong was the day our beloved Markus sadly passed away, nobody has been either willing or capable of matching his drive, ambition and financial backing for SFC since then.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:47 - Jan 3 with 912 viewsTimSaint

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 15:42 - Jan 3 by Centurion

It was actually the game that took place 3 days before that fateful day at Villa Park. The game is question was the West Ham home game in the League Cup - a game we won, but the team selection on the night seemed to have an adverse affect on the whole squad after that and the dressing room was lost.

TimSaint

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 17:37 - Jan 3 with 842 viewsMytchettSaint

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:47 - Jan 3 by TimSaint

It was actually the game that took place 3 days before that fateful day at Villa Park. The game is question was the West Ham home game in the League Cup - a game we won, but the team selection on the night seemed to have an adverse affect on the whole squad after that and the dressing room was lost.

100%

The fact that mad Ralph got away with it that night is glossed over but the damage seemed to be done there and then.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Login to get fewer ads

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 17:38 - Jan 3 with 836 viewsRon11

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:47 - Jan 3 by TimSaint

And even before that, it started to go downhill when Danny Rohl left the club.
Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 18:11 - Jan 3 with 793 viewsTripleNiemi

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 16:36 - Jan 3 by LondonSaint76

I think I can answer that one - to pinpoint it exactly, it was the day Markus Leibherr sadly passed away. Looking back on it now, our bright future died alongside him on that fateful day, the 10th August 2010. If he could see what has happened to his beloved Club since that sad day he would be turning in his grave - actually, spinning in it like a rotisserie in a kebab shop window...
First up, Katharina Liebherr, who in my opinion has a lot to answer for. Supposed to be 'fulfilling her father's legacy at SFC' - basically talked the talk but never really walked the walk. Deep pockets, short arms... Dithered so long over guarantees of finance for targeted signings for us to push on to the next level that it cost us Nicola Cortese - different class to the current shower; neither Semmens or Sport (Banana) Republic are fit to lace his boots as the saying goes...
Next up Gao Jisheng, now, I do have a small degree of sympathy for him - if memory serves me correctly, about a week, maybe two, after he came on board the Chinese Government froze the assets of a whole host of Chinese billionaires stating they could not move their money abroad to spend on overseas projects and even made specific reference to bankrolling European football Clubs. So, he was just very unlucky as we now had a billionaire with the majority of his money that he could not spend outside of China. Where that degree of sympathy quickly evaporates is as follows; at the point most of his assets were frozen he should have had the decency to hold up his hands and say, look, this isn't going to work now, and put his stake back up for sale to someone who could freely splash their cash on SFC.
And finally, step forward Banana Republic, the Spreadsheet Kings and Moneyballers assisted by our latest billionaire Dragan Å olak - I suspect that this one is an 'Asset Billionaire' so, he has it on paper in terms of the value of businesses he owns but does not have millions and millions of spare cash to splash such as Abramovic had and Boehly has, along with the Gulf State Princes…
So, in conclusion, exactly where it all went wrong was the day our beloved Markus sadly passed away, nobody has been either willing or capable of matching his drive, ambition and financial backing for SFC since then.

Unfair on Kat imho and if you look at results we still (albeit with Koeman’s skills) did well for a period under her tenure ship. Sadly (where I believe she went wrong) she never really delved too hard in the little Chinaman’s finances. Of course by then I think she just wanted out.

I wish Kat was still about personally…….

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 22:32 - Jan 3 with 599 viewsLondonSaint76

Where exactly did all go so wrong !!! on 18:11 - Jan 3 by TripleNiemi

Unfair on Kat imho and if you look at results we still (albeit with Koeman’s skills) did well for a period under her tenure ship. Sadly (where I believe she went wrong) she never really delved too hard in the little Chinaman’s finances. Of course by then I think she just wanted out.

I wish Kat was still about personally…….

Agreed TN, we did do well for a period under Kat's tenure, although I would respectfully suggest that was largely down to the legacy left for her by her Dad's / Cortese's efforts prior to her taking up the reigns. I honestly believe if she had sanctioned the investment being asked for by Koeman / Cortese we would have moved on to the next level and made some memories to last a lifetime in the process.
Actually, one thing I don't blame her for was the Gao situation. From memory, the Chinese government's actions blocking not only Gao's assets from being spent abroad but plenty of other wealthy Chinamen as well was totally unforeseen and unexpected coming completely out of the blue, so, when the Club / Kat did the due diligence exercise he would have had the money alright, then this curve ball came hurtling in completely out of the blue hitting him fairly and squarely between the eyes.
All said and done, we may have to agree to disagree on the overall success of her tenure, but, I also agree with you on your last sentence - compared with what we have in charge now, I too wish she was still about as I am sure she would be an improvement on the spreadsheet warriors we are currently saddled with whilst in danger of disappearing down the PL plughole...

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024