Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Zahawi 22:18 - Jan 21 with 9937 viewsmajorraglan

Football aside, one of the biggest stories of the day concerns our esteemed ex chancellor and current Chairman of the Conservative Party and the requirement for him to pay around £5m in back tax and a penalty. His penalty was allegedly set at the highest point of the “careless” range of 30% and allegedly amounts to £1.1m. Some news streams are giving this story prominent cveragevwhile others aren’t. The question is should he be allowed to remain in government or should he resign/be sacked?

https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2023/01/19/zahawi_story/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nadhim-zahawi-tax-legal-action-b2
Zahawi on 23:07 - Jan 21 with 3680 viewsBadgeman

This lot aren’t interested unless it’s Drakeford or a woman with an opinion.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

Zahawi on 23:30 - Jan 21 with 3670 viewsSirjohnalot

Unless the silly Sunak story. He cannot stay after this
Zahawi on 23:33 - Jan 21 with 3670 viewsKilkennyjack

1987: Lester Piggott jailed for three years
Former champion jockey, Lester Piggott, has been sentenced to three years imprsionment after being found guilty of an alleged tax fraud of over £3m.

Whats the difference ? 🤷‍♂️

Beware of the Risen People

Zahawi on 00:23 - Jan 22 with 3644 viewstheloneranger

Zahawi on 23:33 - Jan 21 by Kilkennyjack

1987: Lester Piggott jailed for three years
Former champion jockey, Lester Piggott, has been sentenced to three years imprsionment after being found guilty of an alleged tax fraud of over £3m.

Whats the difference ? 🤷‍♂️

I thought he only had a 'ear and a half.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Zahawi on 05:08 - Jan 22 with 3617 viewsKilkennyjack

Zahawi on 00:23 - Jan 22 by theloneranger

I thought he only had a 'ear and a half.

🤣

Zahawi on 08:27 - Jan 22 with 3556 viewsCountyJim

More Tory sleaze coming out about bungle again what a shock

This truly is a corrupt government
Zahawi on 08:30 - Jan 22 with 3580 viewsSirjohnalot

Zahawi on 08:33 - Jan 22 with 3568 viewsBoundy

He should certainly be under investigation for maybe insider trading although my comment may reflect I have little understanding of the workings tax avoidance . Politics is certainly a seedy world ( and financially rewarding if you can get away with it ) Another case of pigs in the trough so it would seem

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Zahawi on 08:43 - Jan 22 with 3529 viewsCountyJim

Zahawi on 08:30 - Jan 22 by Sirjohnalot

So he started his conversation with this journo with lies I don't know what your talking about brilliant start that and then threatening him

Tory sleaze
Zahawi on 08:49 - Jan 22 with 3524 viewsCountyJim

Zahawi on 23:07 - Jan 21 by Badgeman

This lot aren’t interested unless it’s Drakeford or a woman with an opinion.

Yes it is strange the right wing (we're the only ones that love our country) go missing when the sleaze comes out about the tax Dodgers the lies and more sleaze

🤔 Very strange
Zahawi on 09:00 - Jan 22 with 3545 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Zahawi on 08:43 - Jan 22 by CountyJim

So he started his conversation with this journo with lies I don't know what your talking about brilliant start that and then threatening him

Tory sleaze

No doubt he should refer himself to the Parliamentary Standards Committee for investigation. We get more excited about a seatbelt in this country.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Zahawi on 09:39 - Jan 22 with 3527 viewsbuilthjack

People have been jailed for far less

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Zahawi on 13:09 - Jan 22 with 3457 viewsswan65split

Ive noticed that Carol Vorders has been saying/posting a lot on the matter, I wonder if there's a move into Politics ahead.
Zahawi on 13:16 - Jan 22 with 3451 viewsSirjohnalot

Zahawi on 09:00 - Jan 22 by JACKMANANDBOY

No doubt he should refer himself to the Parliamentary Standards Committee for investigation. We get more excited about a seatbelt in this country.

The seatbelt is a non story. Maybe says a little about his judgement but if it was Starmer I’d be saying it’s a nonsense. So have to say the same thing here
Zahawi on 13:56 - Jan 22 with 3427 viewsKilkennyjack

Zahawi on 13:16 - Jan 22 by Sirjohnalot

The seatbelt is a non story. Maybe says a little about his judgement but if it was Starmer I’d be saying it’s a nonsense. So have to say the same thing here

You would be wrong John.

Take a listen to this.
You dont get a fine for genuinely getting your tax wrong, of course its complex.
Zahawi got a fine, that reveals a lot.

This is not the end of the matter.
He has to resign, minimum ….. 🤷‍♂️

Zahawi on 15:20 - Jan 22 with 3391 viewsSirjohnalot

Zahawi on 13:56 - Jan 22 by Kilkennyjack

You would be wrong John.

Take a listen to this.
You dont get a fine for genuinely getting your tax wrong, of course its complex.

The seat belt story is nonsense. Zahawi completely different
Zahawi on 15:37 - Jan 22 with 3371 viewskrunchykarrot

This bloke was made CoE whilst under investigation , what a shower we have at the minute.
Zahawi on 15:49 - Jan 22 with 3362 viewsmajorraglan

Zahawi on 13:56 - Jan 22 by Kilkennyjack

You would be wrong John.

Take a listen to this.

I’d have thought someone in his position with a potentially complex tax issue would have had professional advice from an accountant, I know I would have if I faced a multi million pound tax liability. If he didn’t why not?

What’s also apparent is that there have been several attempts to silence (or even potentially intimidate depending on the way one reads the solicitors letters ) the investigator by Zahawi’s lawyers. It’s also interesting to note the afore mentioned solicitors actions had no basis in law and resulted in the Solicitors regulator issuing guidance.

A penalty can be issued for a mistake - it’s usually between 0 and 30% of the amount outstanding. If the detail disclosed in the newspapers is correct the penalty imposed is right at the top end of the “mistake” or “carelessness” range. Criminal acts usually incur a penalty of between 20 to 70 percent of the sum involved. Interest etc is on top.
Zahawi on 15:49 - Jan 22 with 3357 viewsonehunglow

If he really was “ careless” then surely that is worse

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Zahawi on 15:51 - Jan 22 with 3348 viewsSirjohnalot

Zahawi on 15:49 - Jan 22 by onehunglow

If he really was “ careless” then surely that is worse

According to experts on the bbc this morning ‘careless ‘ in this sense is akin to negligence in law
Zahawi on 17:00 - Jan 22 with 3307 viewsSullutaCreturned

If that was me, would I just get fined? I somehow doubt it.

It seems to me financial crime often get stronger punishments that things like GBH and rape yet here we have a politician who is getting a fine. A very large fine admittedly but this goes down with the rest of my harsh punishments, he should be in prison because he is one of those who mkaes th rules and he should set the example of abiding by them.

When those who set the rules break them they should get a stronger punishment than us plebs. i doesn't work that way though and it seems that is even more true since we had Bojo and his brown nosers in office.
Zahawi on 17:02 - Jan 22 with 3302 viewsGwyn737

Makes you wonder what this government has to do to for supporters to say enough is enough.

I mean, what else could they do to stuff everything up?
Zahawi on 17:11 - Jan 22 with 3285 viewsSullutaCreturned

Zahawi on 17:02 - Jan 22 by Gwyn737

Makes you wonder what this government has to do to for supporters to say enough is enough.

I mean, what else could they do to stuff everything up?

Start sending aid to Russia?

Offer Putin the leadership of the tory party?

Make Liz Truss leader again?

Or even worse, make Bojo keader again...
Zahawi on 17:11 - Jan 22 with 3284 viewsonehunglow

Zahawi on 15:51 - Jan 22 by Sirjohnalot

According to experts on the bbc this morning ‘careless ‘ in this sense is akin to negligence in law

We had a careless chancellor albeit for a short time How vulnerable we were to have a man careless over his own tax affairs . Careless ! Are we supposed to swallow this tripe ?
I’d have more respect for someone who coughed he tried to avoid tax , which is not a crime, rather than one who tried the old soldier line
People have ISA s to avoid tax

What he did is very different

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Zahawi on 19:00 - Jan 22 with 3235 viewsKilkennyjack

Zahawi on 15:49 - Jan 22 by majorraglan

I’d have thought someone in his position with a potentially complex tax issue would have had professional advice from an accountant, I know I would have if I faced a multi million pound tax liability. If he didn’t why not?

What’s also apparent is that there have been several attempts to silence (or even potentially intimidate depending on the way one reads the solicitors letters ) the investigator by Zahawi’s lawyers. It’s also interesting to note the afore mentioned solicitors actions had no basis in law and resulted in the Solicitors regulator issuing guidance.

A penalty can be issued for a mistake - it’s usually between 0 and 30% of the amount outstanding. If the detail disclosed in the newspapers is correct the penalty imposed is right at the top end of the “mistake” or “carelessness” range. Criminal acts usually incur a penalty of between 20 to 70 percent of the sum involved. Interest etc is on top.

Thanks for that, very informative.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024