Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict 09:35 - Jan 23 with 1130 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/59411/southampton-v-asto

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 09:58 - Jan 23 with 1094 viewsSonicBoom

The Orsic substitution was weird. If you are making subs within the last 5 or 6 minutes then usually it's just to waste time. Surely no manager expects a player to make any material difference in the last 5 minutes of the game unless it really is a last desperate throw of the dice and he's just hoping to get lucky.
Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 10:41 - Jan 23 with 1045 views1885_SFC

We've gone from Ralph Hassenhutl and his strange, late substitutes to Nathan Hassenhutl and his strange, very late substitutes. Maybe Orsic refused to come on and play as a centre back?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Old School is Cool

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 12:13 - Jan 23 with 953 viewskingolaf

Jones is a poor manager and out of his depth.

Correct to sack Ralph but ridiculous to appoint Jones.
Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 12:43 - Jan 23 with 913 viewsSaintNick

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 12:13 - Jan 23 by kingolaf

Jones is a poor manager and out of his depth.

Correct to sack Ralph but ridiculous to appoint Jones.

Lets get some sense of perspective here, the game hinged on several key points.

1. Two VAR calls went against us, both shown to be right in the replays, that was not the managers fault.

2. Villa's goal came from an unmarked header, did Jones instruct his players not to bother marking at set pieces ? No of course he didn't so not the managers fault that someone didn't do their job.

3. Yes Armstrong shot straight at the keeper, it wasn't a great finish but it wasn't a bad miss either, he kept his shot low and hard, the keeper just got it right, again I doubt that Jones instructed Armstrong to hit the keeper.

Yes I think Jones made a few strange substitutions, but that isn't the end of the world, most would have groaned when Djenepo came on, but he in fact had the best shot of the match producing the best save of the match.

There is too much doom & gloom going on, we will have enough time to do that in the summer if we go down, in the meantime we just have to accept what we have and try to help the team produce good performances.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 15:30 - Jan 23 with 810 viewsHollywood56

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 12:43 - Jan 23 by SaintNick

1. Two VAR calls went against us, both shown to be right in the replays, that was not the managers fault.

2. Villa's goal came from an unmarked header, did Jones instruct his players not to bother marking at set pieces ? No of course he didn't so not the managers fault that someone didn't do their job.

3. Yes Armstrong shot straight at the keeper, it wasn't a great finish but it wasn't a bad miss either, he kept his shot low and hard, the keeper just got it right, again I doubt that Jones instructed Armstrong to hit the keeper.

Yes I think Jones made a few strange substitutions, but that isn't the end of the world, most would have groaned when Djenepo came on, but he in fact had the best shot of the match producing the best save of the match.

There is too much doom & gloom going on, we will have enough time to do that in the summer if we go down, in the meantime we just have to accept what we have and try to help the team produce good performances.

Are you Welsh, or just up NJ's backside?
Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 15:48 - Jan 23 with 794 viewsDorsetIan

For once, Nick, I agree with you.

We lost, but it wasn't like Brighton or Forest where we were all over the place.

It could easily have been 1-0 the other way and then we'd all be very happy.

We're only half way through the season. It's always difficult to see where the points are going to come from in the future, but my guess is that at the very least will be go into the final game (*) with a chance of staying up...

(*) At home to Liverpool

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 16:21 - Jan 23 with 757 viewsdwayne_dibley

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 15:30 - Jan 23 by Hollywood56

Are you Welsh, or just up NJ's backside?

nothing wrong with being welsh, the problem is being a t0sser born in Wales like Jones

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 19:51 - Jan 23 with 655 viewsmountsaint

I live in NZ and always watch the recorded game at a reasonable hour like over breakfast. This weekend went away so saw result before getting round to watching it which I hate doing. Anyway was quite surprised that it wasn't that bad a game Diallo got a bit of stick by some posters but again he wasn't that bad. Lyanco ok went over his head just he maybe should have been goal side. Adam Armstrong is quick and can cause problems I think he deserves his place. Che the jury's still out. Even if it was 10 nil to us we still as all teams do make mistakes but are forgotten about. Not sure about NJ . 2 cup games in a row should sort out team selection for the league. 9am over breakfast vs N'castle hopefully will make my day.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 19:54 - Jan 23 with 647 viewsBazza

Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 19:51 - Jan 23 by mountsaint

I live in NZ and always watch the recorded game at a reasonable hour like over breakfast. This weekend went away so saw result before getting round to watching it which I hate doing. Anyway was quite surprised that it wasn't that bad a game Diallo got a bit of stick by some posters but again he wasn't that bad. Lyanco ok went over his head just he maybe should have been goal side. Adam Armstrong is quick and can cause problems I think he deserves his place. Che the jury's still out. Even if it was 10 nil to us we still as all teams do make mistakes but are forgotten about. Not sure about NJ . 2 cup games in a row should sort out team selection for the league. 9am over breakfast vs N'castle hopefully will make my day.

Thanks for the sensible thoughtful comments
Southampton V Aston Villa The Verdict on 20:16 - Jan 23 with 622 viewsRipleys_revenge

Villa were comfortably the better side for 90% of the game and thoroughly deserved to win. It’s disingenuous to point to a couple of very isolated incidents like the Armstrong finish and the var call - anyone could call attention to specific actions which didn’t go their teams way. I’ve noticed jones does this a lot.

Yes it’s fine margins but on the balance of play you have to say we were outplayed on Saturday. If we continue to invite pressure by giving the ball away so much this will continue and then after the game we’ll point to one or two actions that didn’t work out for saints. Can we really say it was because of these that we lost? Look at villas shot map compared to ours - something like 16 (them) vs 3 (us) (all from decent positions), then combine that with those huge possession percentage imbalances.

Not being able to retain the ball and being horrible in possession are much bigger and fundamental problems for why we lost than the var calls / Armstrong miss. This is a pattern which keeps repeating itself and is not getting better under jones, don’t reduce this to “doom and gloom”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024