Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... 09:26 - Feb 27 with 6805 viewssystemsguy

What's the stricken plane saga got to do with QPR v Blackburn?

2024/2025.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 13:42 - Feb 27 with 1917 viewsDejR_vu

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 12:42 - Feb 27 by Padulas_Shampoo

We can cut that down to two ways I think.

Two? You’re one of life’s optimists

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:11 - Feb 27 with 1831 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Without wanting to embarrass anyone... These match reports have been the only good thing about being a QPR fan for the last 3 months. I've been reading them much longer than that but managing to make me chuckle whilst directly and wholly referencing Queens Park Rangers matches over the last 3 months deserves some sort of Nobel prize, not having the writing style questioned FFS.

This section of the 'Boro report had me laughing out loud about something I don't find remotely funny:

The cross is good, and suddenly there’s Chris Martin, intelligently peeled back off his man to the edge of the six yard box, hauling the ball out of the air with a giant butterfly net, controlling on his thigh for the big swivel and hit volley, which he catches perfectly, and sends the ball scorching towards the roof of the net from point blank range. It’s the stairs goal to end all stairs goal, crashing down the upper tier we would have gone, locked in the warm embrace of 400 others, all tumbling together over the plastic seats, cracking our skulls on the concrete and feasting on the goo within. It’s what we go to school for. What a moment… but for the splendid, diving, last ditch block of some joyless prick. I don’t know who it was, but I’ll bet Brentford have got one of their f'ing dossiers on him. We probably released him from our academy, because we couldn’t afford both him and Mide Sho-f'ing-dipo.
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:12 - Feb 27 with 1819 viewsParkRoyalR

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 09:33 - Feb 27 by Northernr

1 - It's a metaphor.
2 - 48 match previews, 48 match reports, year in year out, every year for 20 years, you try coming up with something new, especially when the team's playing like this.
3 - There's an existing thread. https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/295288/ainsworths
4 - Leave me alone.

I thought it was brilliant and was weirdly delighted + uplifted when I go to the end of the report and read they had miraculously all survived, almost, almost, put our current misery into context.

I'm not sure how you pull these ideas out of your cranium after a full post-match in the C&S, but that was a great in a long line of greats.
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:22 - Feb 27 with 1810 viewsNewYorkRanger

A very clever piece of writing - possibly even elevated over and above the usual extremely high standard. Especially the way the match details were sandwiched inbetween the start and end of the story - it was a very creative way to tell our particular tale of woe at this time.

A Swansea supporting mate of mine recently said to me, 'oh yeah QPR - there's that bloke Loftforwords who writes really good stuff - we always read his pieces'

So - fame (or infamy) maybe on the horizon?

Kepp it up please

Glory hunter, me

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:34 - Feb 27 with 1781 viewsrobith

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 10:25 - Feb 27 by systemsguy

Flew over my head....

Congratulations to all those who realised it was a metaphor for the good ship QPR's current situation and League One here we come

It's almost like the last paragraph of the report brought it all full circle and explained it, but I guess you needed an entirely new thread for some reason
[Post edited 27 Feb 2023 14:35]
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:47 - Feb 27 with 1760 viewsRed_Ranger

i love the film 'Flight' with Denzel.

'I choose to drink'

Worth a watch IMHO.

Ps. great report and metaphor. thanks and appreciated as always.

the club-issued gilet and white Reebok Classics by an open-neck shirt, jeans that leave little to the imagination, and a set of cowboy boots; The Paul Daniels Show has been cancelled, and Gene Simmons is here for his encore. What a f**king club this is.

- fkkin class!!!!
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:53 - Feb 27 with 1755 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not sure who needs a hug more: the OP or Clive?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:35 - Feb 27 with 1640 viewsWokingR

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:53 - Feb 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Not sure who needs a hug more: the OP or Clive?

I'll have one.
Are you pretty ?
Login to get fewer ads

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:38 - Feb 27 with 1626 viewsBenny_the_Ball

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 10:25 - Feb 27 by systemsguy

Flew over my head....

Congratulations to all those who realised it was a metaphor for the good ship QPR's current situation and League One here we come

"Flew over my head...."

Man who didn't understand simple metaphor involved in unintended pun shocker.
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:49 - Feb 27 with 1594 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:35 - Feb 27 by WokingR

I'll have one.
Are you pretty ?

He said hug not tug
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:55 - Feb 27 with 1587 viewsWokingR

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:49 - Feb 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

He said hug not tug

Not fussed either way.
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 18:27 - Feb 27 with 1467 viewssystemsguy

I get the analogy now.... GA is the pilot who will fly our engineless plane to safety...

Tut silly me 🤔

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 00:32 - Feb 28 with 1336 viewsNorthernr

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:47 - Feb 27 by Red_Ranger

i love the film 'Flight' with Denzel.

'I choose to drink'

Worth a watch IMHO.

Ps. great report and metaphor. thanks and appreciated as always.

the club-issued gilet and white Reebok Classics by an open-neck shirt, jeans that leave little to the imagination, and a set of cowboy boots; The Paul Daniels Show has been cancelled, and Gene Simmons is here for his encore. What a f**king club this is.

- fkkin class!!!!

The crash in Flight, with the inverted aircraft, is based on a real crash that happened where an ageing Alaska Airline plane blew a jackscrew in the tail randomly. They all died in that instance, and having put multiple pilots through multiple simulator recreations of it they found the only way to survive would have been to do what Denzel Washington subsequently did in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

Have I mentioned before I'm a complete geek.
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 09:50 - Feb 28 with 1167 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 18:27 - Feb 27 by systemsguy

I get the analogy now.... GA is the pilot who will fly our engineless plane to safety...

Tut silly me 🤔

With all respect, what was the name of the school you went to mate?

DonnieR

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 12:00 - Feb 28 with 1091 viewssystemsguy

with all respect

i'm not biting mate... cya

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 12:17 - Feb 28 with 1060 viewsR_from_afar

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 18:27 - Feb 27 by systemsguy

Tut silly me 🤔

Assuming you are a Rangers fan like the rest of us pour souls (hi NewBee, Konk, SwitchingCode and the friendly Sunderland fans) and not a Waaaaaaaal fan, tell us what your favourite cheese is, let's all be friends and get this self-help group back on track

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 12:44 - Feb 28 with 1031 viewssystemsguy

favorite cheese.... mmmm quite partial to smoked german cheese....

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 12:49 - Feb 28 with 1009 viewsSuperhoop83

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 00:32 - Feb 28 by Northernr

The crash in Flight, with the inverted aircraft, is based on a real crash that happened where an ageing Alaska Airline plane blew a jackscrew in the tail randomly. They all died in that instance, and having put multiple pilots through multiple simulator recreations of it they found the only way to survive would have been to do what Denzel Washington subsequently did in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

Have I mentioned before I'm a complete geek.

Listening to the recording of the last minutes of that flight have put QPR's accounts into very clear perspective.

Suffering since 1978.

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 13:54 - Feb 28 with 937 viewsPlanetHonneywood

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 15:35 - Feb 27 by WokingR

I'll have one.
Are you pretty ?

Well, Bubba on E-Wing thinks so.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 14:39 - Feb 28 with 875 viewsPinnerPaul

To lighten the mood anyone see the last episode of "Warship" on BBC on Sunday?

One of the state of the art jets failed on take off - pilot had 1 second to realise and try to stop, another to realise it wasn't going to and activate the ejector seat - which he did and his the parachute got caught on a piece of the ship that was broken and due to be removed, so he didn't even get wet!

His only injury, some burns from the explosive that destroys the canopy so the seat gets out.

Gave an interview straight afterwards and now flying again - wow!
On the evening of August 24, 2001.... on 20:27 - Feb 28 with 717 viewsthehat

I thought it was a brilliant comparison and I loved how the ending to the plane saga finished the article.

Magnificent writing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024