Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. 05:18 - Apr 1 with 8788 viewsTalkingSutty

Our best ever CEO and somebody who has done a great job at Vale Park. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next Colin.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 5:20]
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 08:54 - Apr 1 with 6004 viewsDalenet

The sad thing for Colin is that he appears to have been pushed to allow for more Board involvement in the running of the club. The fans seem unhappy. How we would like a more public facing CEO/COO today. No idea of the capability of George Delves as we never hear from him.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 09:57 - Apr 1 with 5930 viewselectricblue

Colin should be welcomed back with open arms imo.
Delves can take another role.....

The CEO of a football club requires experience and that is what is required today plus it will be a step forward by the club.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 09:57 - Apr 1 with 5927 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Could he perform a DOF role? I know he knows how to do contracts and sales of players well, but does he know enough to be a DOF? Could he perform some kind of role back at our Club that would add and support the first team and manager?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:02 - Apr 1 with 5913 viewsBigKindo

From the Beeb.

"Port Vale: Chief executive Colin Garlick to leave as part of club restructure
Last updated on31 March 202331 March 2023.
Colin Garlick was appointed as Vale chief executive in May 2017

Colin Garlick is to leave Port Vale after six-and-a-half years' service with the League One club.

Garlick, 63, who fills the combined roles of chief executive/club secretary, is leaving as part of a shake-up behind the scenes in Burslem.

The ex-Macclesfield and Rochdale chief executive joined Vale in September 2016 under then owner Norman Smurthwaite before becoming CEO in May 2017.

He then helped the Vale takeover process by the Shanahan family in 2019.

Listen to BBC Radio Stoke's Wembley of the North podcast
"We would like to place on record our sincere appreciation to Colin for his support and commitment," said Vale co-owner Carol Shanahan.

"Especially in the early days when we purchased the club, during which time his football administration knowledge, understanding of the industry and experience was invaluable to us."

Garlick will depart, and also leave his role as a trustee of the Port Vale Foundation, after Saturday's League One fixture against Cambridge United.

Vale, who are 16th in League One following last season's promotion, say his departure is part of a restructure of the club's board of directors and leadership group."
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:11 - Apr 1 with 5900 viewsTalkingSutty

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:02 - Apr 1 by BigKindo

From the Beeb.

"Port Vale: Chief executive Colin Garlick to leave as part of club restructure
Last updated on31 March 202331 March 2023.
Colin Garlick was appointed as Vale chief executive in May 2017

Colin Garlick is to leave Port Vale after six-and-a-half years' service with the League One club.

Garlick, 63, who fills the combined roles of chief executive/club secretary, is leaving as part of a shake-up behind the scenes in Burslem.

The ex-Macclesfield and Rochdale chief executive joined Vale in September 2016 under then owner Norman Smurthwaite before becoming CEO in May 2017.

He then helped the Vale takeover process by the Shanahan family in 2019.

Listen to BBC Radio Stoke's Wembley of the North podcast
"We would like to place on record our sincere appreciation to Colin for his support and commitment," said Vale co-owner Carol Shanahan.

"Especially in the early days when we purchased the club, during which time his football administration knowledge, understanding of the industry and experience was invaluable to us."

Garlick will depart, and also leave his role as a trustee of the Port Vale Foundation, after Saturday's League One fixture against Cambridge United.

Vale, who are 16th in League One following last season's promotion, say his departure is part of a restructure of the club's board of directors and leadership group."

Our club is crying out for a man of his calibre, he won't be out of work for long. I know he still holds the club close to his heart because he told me last year.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 10:13]
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:21 - Apr 1 with 5837 viewsBigKindo

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:11 - Apr 1 by TalkingSutty

Our club is crying out for a man of his calibre, he won't be out of work for long. I know he still holds the club close to his heart because he told me last year.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 10:13]

Wasn't one of the reasons for his leaving was that Colin was having to travel to and from Macclesfield 5 days a week, 6 when there was a home fixture on Saturdays. I think that he arrived and departed post rush hour making them very long days. Port Vale was, perhaps, a less stressful commute. Wonder if their DoF 'Flickers' is also involved in the 'restructure' of the club.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:29 - Apr 1 with 5821 viewsTalkingSutty

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:21 - Apr 1 by BigKindo

Wasn't one of the reasons for his leaving was that Colin was having to travel to and from Macclesfield 5 days a week, 6 when there was a home fixture on Saturdays. I think that he arrived and departed post rush hour making them very long days. Port Vale was, perhaps, a less stressful commute. Wonder if their DoF 'Flickers' is also involved in the 'restructure' of the club.

Yes, i think that was the main reason.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:40 - Apr 1 with 5756 viewsDalenet

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:21 - Apr 1 by BigKindo

Yes it was - we could offer him a part time role with George Delves behind the scenes managing the operations. George could learn from Colin for the future. Meanwhile Colin could choose which days he comes in to support his travel challenge and provide the support to the Board and help manage player recruitment. Win win
Login to get fewer ads

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 11:55 - Apr 1 with 5596 viewsEllDale

In this day and age couldn’t he work from home for part of the week?
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 15:57 - Apr 1 with 5238 viewsTomRAFC

We should absolutely pounce on this, assuming the club/someone else hasn't already.

I'd like to think a reasonable deal could be reached for all parties concerned.

Prior to last forum, I had mentioned George's lack of visibility. He spoke well about the situation with Ethan, and I had a chat with him after as I'd often wondered about the Bottomley shares he received. He was very amiable and honest, but we have a tremendous opportunity to bring in someone who could run a football club with his eyes closed.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:06 - Apr 1 with 5180 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 15:57 - Apr 1 by TomRAFC

We should absolutely pounce on this, assuming the club/someone else hasn't already.

I'd like to think a reasonable deal could be reached for all parties concerned.

Prior to last forum, I had mentioned George's lack of visibility. He spoke well about the situation with Ethan, and I had a chat with him after as I'd often wondered about the Bottomley shares he received. He was very amiable and honest, but we have a tremendous opportunity to bring in someone who could run a football club with his eyes closed.

At his age, it's possible he'll have one eye on retirement in which case a part-time role might be very appealing, especially somewhere he's familiar with and which could add real value

If we didn't at least enter discussions with him it'd be very poor. He'd do more and at less cost than management consultants although that's seemingly happening regardless

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:14 - Apr 1 with 5138 views49thseason

I think we are going to have to wait to see what the MRTK investigations reveal about the club and its management before we can expect any major changes to personnel. It seems clear to the BoD and the supporters that doing what we have been doing isn't working so the review might suggest dramatic changes, particularly as it seems the BoD is expecting them to have an ongoing role...."MRKT Insights will continue to provide an ongoing service to the Board and management following the initial review."
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:25 - Apr 1 with 5096 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:14 - Apr 1 by 49thseason

I think we are going to have to wait to see what the MRTK investigations reveal about the club and its management before we can expect any major changes to personnel. It seems clear to the BoD and the supporters that doing what we have been doing isn't working so the review might suggest dramatic changes, particularly as it seems the BoD is expecting them to have an ongoing role...."MRKT Insights will continue to provide an ongoing service to the Board and management following the initial review."

It's also a damned good way of deflecting responsibility

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:35 - Apr 1 with 5051 views442Dale

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:25 - Apr 1 by D_Alien

It's also a damned good way of deflecting responsibility

And giving the can a Paul Butler clearance.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:39 - Apr 1 with 5037 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:35 - Apr 1 by 442Dale

And giving the can a Paul Butler clearance.

That's what we pay our SC money to see, not to line external business pockets

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 17:35 - Apr 1 with 4883 views49thseason

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:39 - Apr 1 by D_Alien

That's what we pay our SC money to see, not to line external business pockets

So, I take it you think that there is no need to get an objective view of where the club stands and what the options there may be going forward? The future of club is clearly still in jeopardy and the board are taking steps to solve the problems. If not this then what? They have more money on the line than anyone else, they are taking time out of their own lives and businesses to fix the problems and they have concluded they need some expert help and advice...why is that an issue? I repeat... if not this then what?
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 17:45 - Apr 1 with 4846 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 17:35 - Apr 1 by 49thseason

So, I take it you think that there is no need to get an objective view of where the club stands and what the options there may be going forward? The future of club is clearly still in jeopardy and the board are taking steps to solve the problems. If not this then what? They have more money on the line than anyone else, they are taking time out of their own lives and businesses to fix the problems and they have concluded they need some expert help and advice...why is that an issue? I repeat... if not this then what?

An experienced and visible Chief Exec with a proven track record in football

CG becoming available is just one example - there will be others. Since he's topical, his departure from Dale could well be looked upon as the real starting point of our decline, creating a vacancy which was taken advantage of, following some shenanigans

If we were still flying high in L1 with gates holding up, i might see the value in the consultancy to take us to the next level. As it stands, i honestly see it as something which has every chance of not adding value whilst adding to the cost burden. The consultancy have a decent enough track record, but not at clubs in Dale's position

You asked "if not this then what". That's what

[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 17:49]

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 17:46 - Apr 1 with 4830 views442Dale

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 17:35 - Apr 1 by 49thseason

Nobody is saying that it isn’t necessary. It’s asking for a better explanation of why we are changing approach, both from being “fan owned” and also why this move to a “committee” on the football side is being looked at.

Once more, everyone appreciates the time, money and efforts the board have all made in the past, but that is becoming a repetitive subject that does not actually move us forward with respect to understanding why these changes have/are occurring.

Presumably if there is an “objective view” of where we stand and options in the future, there is also a plan to communicate these better with regular, detailed updates for supporters?

Edit: ok some may think it’s not necessary! However, the points are valid. Yes, the board need help but why do we need to take this route?
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 17:51]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 18:03 - Apr 1 with 4762 viewsfourfourtwo

As much as I would love to see CG come back to Spotland. We currently have someone filling the role. May I ask what we do with GD? Are we to just sack him? Is that even legal? Or do we have two people doing the same role taking her more money from the playing budget?

Given his age and the career he’s had I would very much imagine he will be setting himself up for retirement. Restructure/redundancy isn’t going to come empty handed now is it.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 18:23 - Apr 1 with 4713 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 18:03 - Apr 1 by fourfourtwo

As much as I would love to see CG come back to Spotland. We currently have someone filling the role. May I ask what we do with GD? Are we to just sack him? Is that even legal? Or do we have two people doing the same role taking her more money from the playing budget?

Given his age and the career he’s had I would very much imagine he will be setting himself up for retirement. Restructure/redundancy isn’t going to come empty handed now is it.

COO is a different role, with far less input into the direction the club should take

I think you know that

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 18:25 - Apr 1 with 4705 viewsoddjob007

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 18:03 - Apr 1 by fourfourtwo

Of course we can choose to get rid of someone - it’ll just cost us, unless there’s evidence of him not performing.

Does anyone have any evidence of how well the job our Chief Exec is doing?!

I’m not sure on the structure of the club and who makes the decisions, but I have a feeling GD’s role is somewhat different to his predecessors…
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:05 - Apr 1 with 4624 viewsTomRAFC

MRKT have a remit that focuses very much on the footballing side of things, which is something we sorely need. There is more to running a football club than the remit of MRKT, there's a whole world of off the pitch operations, which is in equal need of a review. I can't think of a better man to do that than Colin Garlick.

I'd welcome him back as full time CEO in a heartbeat. If he wants a short-term/part-time contract where he has an access all areas role of whipping the non-footballing side of things into shape, then that's fine by me.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:16 - Apr 1 with 4594 viewsfourfourtwo

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 18:23 - Apr 1 by D_Alien

COO is a different role, with far less input into the direction the club should take

I think you know that

It’s not though really is it.

We replaced a CEO with a COO and both are ultimately responsible for the day to day runnings of the club.

I think you know that.

What structure would you like to see us run with to bring CG back to the club? I’m intrigued.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:31 - Apr 1 with 4533 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:16 - Apr 1 by fourfourtwo

It’s not though really is it.

We replaced a CEO with a COO and both are ultimately responsible for the day to day runnings of the club.

I think you know that.

What structure would you like to see us run with to bring CG back to the club? I’m intrigued.

It was a quite deliberate move by the new board to change the emphasis from CEO to COO after the defenestration of the last CEO with the toxicity he brought to the club

Of course you know that

As a result, the executive function has been found wanting due to inexperience, otherwise we wouldn't be bringing in external "help". The appointment of someone with executive skills within football, which goes beyond what the current COO involves (which is more akin to the old "club secretary" function) would imo achieve the same thing, and that role would at least have some skin in the game

The role would, for instance, involve overseeing the appointment of those in a football management/coaching role, which it's been admitted by the current BoD was something outside their abilities. There's no need to be too prescriptive about this, but the kind of creative thinking required to shift the dial doesn't have to come from a consultancy which the fans would have no attachment to, and which could then (as previously stated) be used to absolve those within the club of responsibility

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:52 - Apr 1 with 4468 viewsfourfourtwo

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:31 - Apr 1 by D_Alien

It was a quite deliberate move by the new board to change the emphasis from CEO to COO after the defenestration of the last CEO with the toxicity he brought to the club

Of course you know that

As a result, the executive function has been found wanting due to inexperience, otherwise we wouldn't be bringing in external "help". The appointment of someone with executive skills within football, which goes beyond what the current COO involves (which is more akin to the old "club secretary" function) would imo achieve the same thing, and that role would at least have some skin in the game

The role would, for instance, involve overseeing the appointment of those in a football management/coaching role, which it's been admitted by the current BoD was something outside their abilities. There's no need to be too prescriptive about this, but the kind of creative thinking required to shift the dial doesn't have to come from a consultancy which the fans would have no attachment to, and which could then (as previously stated) be used to absolve those within the club of responsibility

I hope you know that waffling a load of bollocks such as that neither makes you appear likeable or informed.

I’d say the main reason for the change of job title was the toxicity of the CEO title being associated with DB. That’s it.

Now back in the real world, we are much more likely to see the club appoint a DOF rather than bring CG back to the club. As I said. There is already somebody employed in that role.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024