Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 20:35 - Apr 8 with 2576 viewsWestEndBoy

[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 20:57]
Ankerson and sports republic out on 20:52 - Apr 8 with 2500 viewsSouthamptonfan

I agree 100%. Get them OUT of our club.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2023 20:52]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Ankerson and sports republic out on 20:55 - Apr 8 with 2493 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

Bigger than Rupert Lowe ??
Ankerson and sports republic out on 21:05 - Apr 8 with 2463 viewsUTS1885

I certainly think Rasmus Ankersen is on borrowed time.
Ankerson and sports republic out (n/t) on 21:12 - Apr 8 with 2458 viewsWestEndBoy

[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 21:16]
Ankerson and sports republic out on 22:18 - Apr 8 with 2337 viewsSFC_Referee

But they’re not the only ones who’re to blame for this. As it’s all those years of Gao being in charge that had left them with a squad that’s been cut to the bone, with how we basically signed nobody whilst he was around yet sold soo many key players.
As at least they do go to the games from time to time, actually spend money on this squad and have actually tried to keep us up during the winter transfer market.

As yeah their tactics of just buying youth and then planning to sell them off when they’re older and getting no experienced players etc… wasn’t good, but at least they tried. As unless we hit the jackpot like Newcastle did, we were always gonna go down this season with how poor this squad was and how many key areas we had soo little quality in.

And with managers, well many on here wanted Ralph out and look where that’s got us! As it’s quite clearly been shown over the 3 we’ve had in charge that it was irrelevant who was in charge as we were always gonna go down with the squad we’ve got. And yeah NJ was a shambles, but it’s hardly like we had Zidan and Koeman wanting to join us.

As at the end of the day yeah they’ve certainly not had the best first year or so, and it really has been a shambles. But what’s happened is also down to all the recent years of underinvestment and at least this lot have tried, as what’s going to be interesting and will show how much/little they really do care about us is what they’ll do in the summer. As you’d hope that they’d still keep investing and will make sure we’re back up in the prem within a season, yet if they don’t then yeah maybe then we should start getting a bit annoyed, but for how long Gao went without any of this I don’t get how fans can get all this mental after just 1 season.

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Ankerson and sports republic out on 22:38 - Apr 8 with 2309 viewssaintwizzler

Ankerson and sports republic out on 22:18 - Apr 8 by SFC_Referee

But they’re not the only ones who’re to blame for this. As it’s all those years of Gao being in charge that had left them with a squad that’s been cut to the bone, with how we basically signed nobody whilst he was around yet sold soo many key players.
As at least they do go to the games from time to time, actually spend money on this squad and have actually tried to keep us up during the winter transfer market.

As yeah their tactics of just buying youth and then planning to sell them off when they’re older and getting no experienced players etc… wasn’t good, but at least they tried. As unless we hit the jackpot like Newcastle did, we were always gonna go down this season with how poor this squad was and how many key areas we had soo little quality in.

And with managers, well many on here wanted Ralph out and look where that’s got us! As it’s quite clearly been shown over the 3 we’ve had in charge that it was irrelevant who was in charge as we were always gonna go down with the squad we’ve got. And yeah NJ was a shambles, but it’s hardly like we had Zidan and Koeman wanting to join us.

As at the end of the day yeah they’ve certainly not had the best first year or so, and it really has been a shambles. But what’s happened is also down to all the recent years of underinvestment and at least this lot have tried, as what’s going to be interesting and will show how much/little they really do care about us is what they’ll do in the summer. As you’d hope that they’d still keep investing and will make sure we’re back up in the prem within a season, yet if they don’t then yeah maybe then we should start getting a bit annoyed, but for how long Gao went without any of this I don’t get how fans can get all this mental after just 1 season.

You do talk some shit boy

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Ankerson and sports republic out on 22:57 - Apr 8 with 2281 viewskernow

I understand what you say, and agree, for the most part.
Ankerson and sports republic out on 02:00 - Apr 9 with 2192 viewsRipleys_revenge

For me, SR aren’t the issue but Rasmus is. I know he’s part of the whole set up so it’s not easy to separate them but as far as I can see SR spent money - it’s just that the money they spent has been spectacularly poorly advised. And who’s responsible for that?

The nature of the (limited) interviews Rasmus does are always questionable. Arrogant, self serving and dismissive (I remember the tone of his replies at the fans forum a couple of months ago). As others have said he seems to have built his reputation at Brentford which has subsequently been proven to be mainly down to all the other people there.

The mass exodus of back room staff says a lot and the recent insights into the online transfer platform that his brother set up all add up to a pretty alarming picture. IMO he’s a con artist and the sooner he f@cos off the better.
Login to get fewer ads

Ankerson and sports republic out on 07:44 - Apr 9 with 2077 viewssaint22

Ankerson and sports republic out on 02:00 - Apr 9 by Ripleys_revenge

For me, SR aren’t the issue but Rasmus is. I know he’s part of the whole set up so it’s not easy to separate them but as far as I can see SR spent money - it’s just that the money they spent has been spectacularly poorly advised. And who’s responsible for that?

The nature of the (limited) interviews Rasmus does are always questionable. Arrogant, self serving and dismissive (I remember the tone of his replies at the fans forum a couple of months ago). As others have said he seems to have built his reputation at Brentford which has subsequently been proven to be mainly down to all the other people there.

The mass exodus of back room staff says a lot and the recent insights into the online transfer platform that his brother set up all add up to a pretty alarming picture. IMO he’s a con artist and the sooner he f@cos off the better.

I am inclined to agree
Also if is was this sorts mastermind and a great guy why dud Brentford let him leave? They also seem to be doing rather well without him.....
Ankerson and sports republic out on 09:39 - Apr 9 with 1948 viewsA1079

I do feel that as fans we have not shown our disdain or sense of anger in the same way as say fans of West Ham, Everton and others before have or would. The owner of this forum will point out that turning a match toxic serves no one - he is right in respect that any protest etc needs to be turned to support during a game itself. But the same person says that fans of other clubs do things about it whereas we just complain.

I do feel that we have to show our anger now and make it clear, we have put up with more than enough, not just this season but the seasons leading upto this status. It is likely any protest agree will make no difference but to do nothing and show no anger does not seem right either. So, I do think the time has come to vent our feelings publicly to the owners etc even if it has little or no impact.

SFC Referee and Wizzler has a valid point - our position now is not just down to this season though the close of last season and this season has seen a catalogue of errors of judgement and bad decisions which have probably been the tipping point leaving little faith that the current owners and Ankersen really have a handle on the running of the club.

I believe we are where we are now down to a catalogue of reasons:-

- season after season from Koeman onwards of selling quality players and either not replacing them until it becomes a panic buy or buying players that have not remotely matched the quality of those that have departed;
- our negotiation skills appears to be poor and we have missed out on players that could have made a difference;
- at the end of the last season we went 13 games with just one win and avoided relegation by a 1 goal win against Arsenal and 3 teams being worse than us - that was a strong indication that Hassenhuttl was struggling to maintain the momentum and there was evidence that he had lost some of the team or belief. The ownership seemed to decide that he should remain until the world cup but the time to make a sensible considered change was last summer;
- last season saw us screaming for a striker, so it was gross negligence not to deal with it in the summer;
- we purchased a number of inexperienced players who knew nothing about the PL or playing at this level. There is nothing wrong with bringing youth in but you need to bring experience with it. If you were just going to focus on youth then why not use some of our players from our academy?;
- having purchased some arguably more experienced players in January, they have then spent most of the time on the bench or not even picked as a sub - very odd;
- having decided to dispense with Hassenhuttl they made the fatalistic decision to appoint Nathan Jones - a complete disaster and effectively nailed the coffin to the outcome of this season. Potential candidates that could have brought some calm and sense passed us by;
- they then seemed to not know what to do and were scratching around and we ended doing what was effectively the only option left - appoint Selles;

I think all of us have accepted our fate and I am not one that thinks relegation to the Championship is a disaster but it could become one if the owners make the same errors again and do not correct things. Appointing the right manager for the next season in the Championship is imperative followed by quickly sorting out which players are staying and going and building the team to mount the same challenge to get back up much in the same vain as Burnley have. If we mess this up then we will be staring down the barrel of League 1.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 10:49]
Ankerson and sports republic out on 09:47 - Apr 9 with 1943 viewsdirk_doone

Ankerson and sports republic out on 09:39 - Apr 9 by A1079

I do feel that as fans we have not shown our disdain or sense of anger in the same way as say fans of West Ham, Everton and others before have or would. The owner of this forum will point out that turning a match toxic serves no one - he is right in respect that any protest etc needs to be turned to support during a game itself. But the same person says that fans of other clubs do things about it whereas we just complain.

I do feel that we have to show our anger now and make it clear, we have put up with more than enough, not just this season but the seasons leading upto this status. It is likely any protest agree will make no difference but to do nothing and show no anger does not seem right either. So, I do think the time has come to vent our feelings publicly to the owners etc even if it has little or no impact.

SFC Referee and Wizzler has a valid point - our position now is not just down to this season though the close of last season and this season has seen a catalogue of errors of judgement and bad decisions which have probably been the tipping point leaving little faith that the current owners and Ankersen really have a handle on the running of the club.

I believe we are where we are now down to a catalogue of reasons:-

- season after season from Koeman onwards of selling quality players and either not replacing them until it becomes a panic buy or buying players that have not remotely matched the quality of those that have departed;
- our negotiation skills appears to be poor and we have missed out on players that could have made a difference;
- at the end of the last season we went 13 games with just one win and avoided relegation by a 1 goal win against Arsenal and 3 teams being worse than us - that was a strong indication that Hassenhuttl was struggling to maintain the momentum and there was evidence that he had lost some of the team or belief. The ownership seemed to decide that he should remain until the world cup but the time to make a sensible considered change was last summer;
- last season saw us screaming for a striker, so it was gross negligence not to deal with it in the summer;
- we purchased a number of inexperienced players who knew nothing about the PL or playing at this level. There is nothing wrong with bringing youth in but you need to bring experience with it. If you were just going to focus on youth then why not use some of our players from our academy?;
- having purchased some arguably more experienced players in January, they have then spent most of the time on the bench or not even picked as a sub - very odd;
- having decided to dispense with Hassenhuttl they made the fatalistic decision to appoint Nathan Jones - a complete disaster and effectively nailed the coffin to the outcome of this season. Potential candidates that could have brought some calm and sense passed us by;
- they then seemed to not know what to do and were scratching around and we ended doing what was effectively the only option left - appoint Selles;

I think all of us have accepted our fate and I am not one that thinks relegation to the Championship is a disaster but it could become one if the owners make the same errors again and do not correct things. Appointing the right manager for the next season in the Championship is imperative followed by quickly sorting out which players are staying and going and building the team to mount the same challenge to get back up much in the same vain as Burnley have. If we mess this up then we will be staring down the barrel of League 1.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 10:49]

I agree. It makes me laugh when people call the atmosphere at St Mary's toxic because, it really isn't, whereas at most other clubs, especially those with a great reputation for loyal fans, such as Newcastle, West Ham and even Nick's Liverpool, in the same circumstances, it really would be.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 9:54]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ankerson and sports republic out on 09:52 - Apr 9 with 1928 viewsNewdawn2014

Zidane or Koeman you are correct , Nathan Jones ??? set the club on a spiral that will be so hard to turn around .
I hope the Graham Potter rumour has legs.
Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:17 - Apr 9 with 1791 viewsIfonly

" it’s quite clearly been shown over the 3 we’ve had in charge that it was irrelevant who was in charge as we were always gonna go down with the squad we’ve got. "

That's absolute bollks. If we had got in an experienced manager last summer, or even when RH was finally and rightly sacked, we'd have stood every chance.

Look at Bournemouth. Can you honestly say that they have a better squad than us??? Of course they don't. One of their best players is Jack Stephens. But they have a chance of surviving because they play smart and make use of the limited resources they have available.
Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:30 - Apr 9 with 1772 viewsSFC_Referee

Ankerson and sports republic out on 22:38 - Apr 8 by saintwizzler

You do talk some shit boy

Sorry I’m not arrogant enough to only look at it from one angle and never think about the position they’re in and why they might do certain things that may seem a bit strange/awkward

Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:45 - Apr 9 with 1760 viewsRon11

Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:17 - Apr 9 by Ifonly

" it’s quite clearly been shown over the 3 we’ve had in charge that it was irrelevant who was in charge as we were always gonna go down with the squad we’ve got. "

That's absolute bollks. If we had got in an experienced manager last summer, or even when RH was finally and rightly sacked, we'd have stood every chance.

Look at Bournemouth. Can you honestly say that they have a better squad than us??? Of course they don't. One of their best players is Jack Stephens. But they have a chance of surviving because they play smart and make use of the limited resources they have available.

To me, this is exactly right, and the Bournemouth comparison validates that.
Hassenhutl should have been removed in the summer and a good experienced manager brought in. Leeds and Aston Villa got rid of clowns and Villa are now up there and Leeds are certainly looking better than us.
All we've had is a trio of Stanley Unwin impersonators.
Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:46 - Apr 9 with 1752 viewsSFC_Referee

Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:17 - Apr 9 by Ifonly

You do realise right that the manager isn’t the one that’s gotta kick the ball into the back of the net to score a goal, right? Nor is he the one that gets to bring along some world class strikers, midfielders or centre halfs.
As our squad is appalling, and yeah the tactics haven’t been great whatsoever, but at the same time Elynousie is about the only player who’s been repeatedly selected who nobody thinks should’ve. So that’s 10 of 11 players that play regularly, yet we’re still stone dead last and miles off from staying up. As we’ve not had the players!

As in our current squad we’ve only probably got about 5/6 proper PL quality players that are almost certain to leave us when we go down. As it’s just Prowse, Lavia, KWP, Bella-Kotcha and maybe Alcararez/Salisu/Parraud. That’s it, with many on that list being injured a fair bit, with no one else is anywhere near the level we need for them to be a proper good reliable player who deserves to be playing in the prem. So with all the injuries we’ve had, that’s averaging less than half the squad, which is why we’re going down.

As yeah maybe if we got in Klopp, Conte, Zidan, Guardiola etc… we may have stayed up, but as we all know we were never gonna get any of those lot joining us, and for the coaches that would join us (like NK, Jessie March, Ralph etc…) none would’ve kept us up (although I do still think Ralph may have). As yeah the tactics weren’t the best but when you don’t have the best players, tactics don’t matter too much when you’re playing the best team in the world like we did yesterday.

And yeah Bournemouth don’t have a better squad than us, but they’re more consistent around the park and aren’t struggling really badly up front like we are, as they’ve got strikers, and play to their strengths. And even then, outside of Bournemouth who do we actually have a better squad then? As Leicester, Everton, West Ham and all the other regular teams certainly have better squads than us. And Forest, Leeds and Wolves may not have as good ones, but they’re still better than ours. So really outta 20 teams we’re like 19th for quality, it’s just Bournemouth aren’t too far behind but have a more consistent squad and play to their strengths which is why they’re better. But we can’t play to our players strengths as we’ve got such a mixed squad with some wanting a pressing style, others a passing, others a long ball etc… which is exactly why our tactics haven’t been consistent all season.

Ankerson and sports republic out on 13:00 - Apr 9 with 1736 viewsRon11

Ankerson and sports republic out on 12:46 - Apr 9 by SFC_Referee

You do realise right that the manager isn’t the one that’s gotta kick the ball into the back of the net to score a goal, right? Nor is he the one that gets to bring along some world class strikers, midfielders or centre halfs.
As our squad is appalling, and yeah the tactics haven’t been great whatsoever, but at the same time Elynousie is about the only player who’s been repeatedly selected who nobody thinks should’ve. So that’s 10 of 11 players that play regularly, yet we’re still stone dead last and miles off from staying up. As we’ve not had the players!

As in our current squad we’ve only probably got about 5/6 proper PL quality players that are almost certain to leave us when we go down. As it’s just Prowse, Lavia, KWP, Bella-Kotcha and maybe Alcararez/Salisu/Parraud. That’s it, with many on that list being injured a fair bit, with no one else is anywhere near the level we need for them to be a proper good reliable player who deserves to be playing in the prem. So with all the injuries we’ve had, that’s averaging less than half the squad, which is why we’re going down.

As yeah maybe if we got in Klopp, Conte, Zidan, Guardiola etc… we may have stayed up, but as we all know we were never gonna get any of those lot joining us, and for the coaches that would join us (like NK, Jessie March, Ralph etc…) none would’ve kept us up (although I do still think Ralph may have). As yeah the tactics weren’t the best but when you don’t have the best players, tactics don’t matter too much when you’re playing the best team in the world like we did yesterday.

And yeah Bournemouth don’t have a better squad than us, but they’re more consistent around the park and aren’t struggling really badly up front like we are, as they’ve got strikers, and play to their strengths. And even then, outside of Bournemouth who do we actually have a better squad then? As Leicester, Everton, West Ham and all the other regular teams certainly have better squads than us. And Forest, Leeds and Wolves may not have as good ones, but they’re still better than ours. So really outta 20 teams we’re like 19th for quality, it’s just Bournemouth aren’t too far behind but have a more consistent squad and play to their strengths which is why they’re better. But we can’t play to our players strengths as we’ve got such a mixed squad with some wanting a pressing style, others a passing, others a long ball etc… which is exactly why our tactics haven’t been consistent all season.

Our tactics haven't been consistent due to the the last three managers not knowing what they're doing, end of story.
Take yesterday. Why why play Walker Peters on the left and leave Perraud on the bench? Never mind Walker Peters having a better right foot, Perraud always gives 110%, no wonder he looked pissed off when he was finally brought on yesterday.
And beyond belief that Onuachu wasn't given his chance yesterday...what exactly did Walcott and Elynoussi contribute? Almost nothing.
He finally brings on a striker and we get a goal. Why not bring on Onuachu as well, with nothing to lose part from a bit of pride.
Even De Bruyne made this point after the game (no striker), but Selles comes out with the same old bollocks. Sorry, it's not down to the players, not most of it anyway.
Ankerson and sports republic out on 13:07 - Apr 9 with 1725 viewssaintwizzler

Ralph would have kept us up??

The same Ralph that took 9 points from a possible 42 at the start of THIS season??

His race was run.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Ankerson and sports republic out on 14:37 - Apr 9 with 1658 viewsIfonly

My point was that you were talking complete bollox to say we would have gone down whoever the manager was - and you were. Last summer we would have had the choice of dozens of managers from around the world. Summer is the time to move and they all want to prove themselves in the PL. You're just talking more nonsense to say the only managers we could get would be the likes of Jones, Marsch and Selles.

But we didn't even need a world beater. We would probably have stayed up with Sam Allardyce in charge. Just a little competence in coaching set pieces would have gone a long way this season. Jones said he "showed the players 10 times" a set piece that we conceded against Fulham. But a good coach doesn't show the players videos, he gets out there and drills set pieces time after time, after time, after time, after time...

Of course we don't have a great squad. Any idiot can see that. But we did have a good enough squad to stay up, particularly with another £60 million and five new players in January. Anyone who says it's all the fault of the players, or the managers, or the board or because we didn't sign a striker or whatever ... is wrong. All these things count. They're all important but the manager is the most important piece of the jigsaw at any football club.

If Gary O'Neill can organise some limited players at Bournemouth and give them a chance, then the same thing could certainly have been done by a better manager with a better squad at Saints.
Ankerson and sports republic out on 17:53 - Apr 9 with 1580 viewsSFC_Referee

Ankerson and sports republic out on 14:37 - Apr 9 by Ifonly

My point was that you were talking complete bollox to say we would have gone down whoever the manager was - and you were. Last summer we would have had the choice of dozens of managers from around the world. Summer is the time to move and they all want to prove themselves in the PL. You're just talking more nonsense to say the only managers we could get would be the likes of Jones, Marsch and Selles.

But we didn't even need a world beater. We would probably have stayed up with Sam Allardyce in charge. Just a little competence in coaching set pieces would have gone a long way this season. Jones said he "showed the players 10 times" a set piece that we conceded against Fulham. But a good coach doesn't show the players videos, he gets out there and drills set pieces time after time, after time, after time, after time...

Of course we don't have a great squad. Any idiot can see that. But we did have a good enough squad to stay up, particularly with another £60 million and five new players in January. Anyone who says it's all the fault of the players, or the managers, or the board or because we didn't sign a striker or whatever ... is wrong. All these things count. They're all important but the manager is the most important piece of the jigsaw at any football club.

If Gary O'Neill can organise some limited players at Bournemouth and give them a chance, then the same thing could certainly have been done by a better manager with a better squad at Saints.

Well look I personally don’t agree with us staying up with anyone in charge (or at least anyone we were gonna have any chance of getting), but either way as you said yourself, it’s all 3 of the players, coaches and boards faults that were in this mess in the first place, but to go and have a little “rebellion” against sports republic is just pure nonsense!
As like you just said, they’re not just the ones to blame, and this lack of quality issues been building up for many years now, and most of that was under Gao who really didn’t give a toss and invested bugger all, whilst at least SR have tried to get us out of this mess and have actually invested a fair amount of money into this squad.

As yeah their first season here has been a shambles and really has been poor, but now we’ll get to see if they are good owners or not as if they’re shite ones then they’ll just ditch us now and invest bugger all, and won’t bother again with us until we’re back up/will just sell us. But if they’re decent owners they’ll then have learnt from their mistakes and will get us more experienced players for next season and will keep investing in us so that we can do next season what Burnley’s done this season. As next season really will show us of what sorta owners we’ve now got

Ankerson and sports republic out on 19:19 - Apr 9 with 1543 viewsIfonly

Ankerson and sports republic out on 17:53 - Apr 9 by SFC_Referee

Well look I personally don’t agree with us staying up with anyone in charge (or at least anyone we were gonna have any chance of getting), but either way as you said yourself, it’s all 3 of the players, coaches and boards faults that were in this mess in the first place, but to go and have a little “rebellion” against sports republic is just pure nonsense!
As like you just said, they’re not just the ones to blame, and this lack of quality issues been building up for many years now, and most of that was under Gao who really didn’t give a toss and invested bugger all, whilst at least SR have tried to get us out of this mess and have actually invested a fair amount of money into this squad.

As yeah their first season here has been a shambles and really has been poor, but now we’ll get to see if they are good owners or not as if they’re shite ones then they’ll just ditch us now and invest bugger all, and won’t bother again with us until we’re back up/will just sell us. But if they’re decent owners they’ll then have learnt from their mistakes and will get us more experienced players for next season and will keep investing in us so that we can do next season what Burnley’s done this season. As next season really will show us of what sorta owners we’ve now got

Yes I agree. I understand why people feel angry. I'm angry myself but I think they deserve more time.

For me they've been incompetent in the decisions they've made, particularly the ones on Jones and Selles. I say Selles because it turns out he wants to use identical tactics and players to Ralph, so why did they think that would work? But at the same time, they have invested significantly, particularly in January when they could have cut their losses. So for me, they deserve more time. As you say, next season will show what kind of owners they are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024