Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench 22:26 - Apr 19 with 9929 viewsFDC

Properly mental if he doesn't play between now and League 1...

I was telling everyone he was the best player in Championship six months ago. I'm not convinced Willock, nor Jesus Christ his Saviour, could be a bad influence on the team, so it has to be a "tactical decision", and I can't actually see any tactics on the pitch.

The strategy for QPR scoring a goal currently is not to have any shape or training ground routines, but "let's hope Amos has a run through on goal, bouncing the ball off defenders and nearly poking it into the goal".

I would definitely back Willock to fluke a goal over anyone else in the squad, and fluking a goal is the best hope we currently have.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:43 - Apr 20 with 1512 viewstraininvain

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:29 - Apr 20 by ARudd

Which Manager? We’ve tried 4 and the result has been the same, so either Warburton, Beale, Critchley and Ainsworth are all rubbish (and previous performances would suggest not) or there is something deeply wrong with what has been (despite injuries) a pretty constant group of players throughout their times in charge….

Warburton generally had the players improving during his spell as manager. Look at the progress Chair, Willock, Dickie, Dieng, Dunne etc made under him. Granted we had a poor second half to last season but surely it’s beyond debate that players improved under Warburton.

Beale in his short time at the club also had the players improving and some of them were thriving, we were top of the league in October ffs.

The nosedive in form of our key players has occurred since Beale left and he’s partly responsible for the initial response imo. The players have to take most of the responsibility but you also have to look at Critchley and now Ainsworth when several key players have stopped performing to the point that they’re not even getting sub appearances in must win games.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:48 - Apr 20 with 1470 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:51 - Apr 19 by ted_hendrix

He should have started, he should always start.

Said on another thread a few days ago he's the only one (along with Chair maybe) who looks capable of offering something a bit different with regards to an attacking threat. We've tried everything else so yeah give him more than 10 minutes and see what happens.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:48 - Apr 20 with 1462 viewsrobith

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:39 - Apr 19 by Ned_Kennedys

Have you not been watching Willock for the last 6 months? He’s been below bang average and has shown nothing of his early season form.
Looking through rose tinted glasses it would be smashing to have Illy and Willy bidding it out there but those days were a long time ago. Apart from the cross for the goal Chair was poor again tonight.

Willock of last season would keep us up. Willock of this season looks like the guy we first signed from Benfica. I know we're all angry and we want something to blame, but on current form I'm sadly not certain Willock improves us
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:59 - Apr 20 with 1408 viewstraininvain

Only qpr would write off a player who was one of the best in the league only six months ago whilst being in the middle of a relegation dogfight.

I understand that Willock’s been poor since October and he gave the ball away for Coventry’s second goal on Saturday. But he’s one of the only real quality attackers in our squad and he’s sat on the bench as an unused sub in crucial games. Something has gone badly wrong here.

Willock has to take some blame of course but the club also need to consider how/why this has happened to a player who was probably worth £15m/£20m only six months ago.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 10:04 - Apr 20 with 1386 viewsdaveB

We're playing a system and style that means we can't pick our most talented players as they don't fit the system, is madness
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 10:06 - Apr 20 with 1379 viewsJordanFoster

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:43 - Apr 20 by traininvain

Warburton generally had the players improving during his spell as manager. Look at the progress Chair, Willock, Dickie, Dieng, Dunne etc made under him. Granted we had a poor second half to last season but surely it’s beyond debate that players improved under Warburton.

Beale in his short time at the club also had the players improving and some of them were thriving, we were top of the league in October ffs.

The nosedive in form of our key players has occurred since Beale left and he’s partly responsible for the initial response imo. The players have to take most of the responsibility but you also have to look at Critchley and now Ainsworth when several key players have stopped performing to the point that they’re not even getting sub appearances in must win games.

Fully agree.

Think as well Beale's methods and messaging which semi-centred around the 'you vs you' convo, being '1% better' really resonated with this group - especially when you're trying to sign a lot of players that have lost their way despite talent/being in big academies (Willock, Roberts, Laird etc).

It's also genuine, setting up a private Instagram (just like he did at Villa) where he'd post motivational quotes because that was very much Beale's thought-process too. Whatever you think about him, his rise has been meteoric.

I think where you get issues is when that flow of vision from the SMT, through to manager through to players become disconnected - eg Ainsworth is all about now this club, my club, giving 100% for it etc.

Which when you have an empty directors box, a manager that has blown up the club identity and players suddenly unavailable is pretty apparent the vision has been lost somewhere.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 10:25]
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 10:22 - Apr 20 with 1345 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 10:04 - Apr 20 by daveB

We're playing a system and style that means we can't pick our most talented players as they don't fit the system, is madness

This is the issue, however.....

Is Ainsworth not picking Willock etc due to his system/style, or is he unable to pick them and being forced to play the way we are.
I have a sneaky suspicion that it is both.

Some players have downed tools, but going on the way Wycombe played the style should come as no surprise.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 11:55 - Apr 20 with 1255 viewsTK1

Willock was brilliant THIS SEASON, playing with Chair in a free role.
He had a catastrophic hamstring injury last season, but because Beale was reliant on him he over played him when he got back and his hamstring went again during the Sheffield United game in which he scored the winner. There were games at the start of this season where Willock looked the best attacker in the division. Millwall and Watford away, for example, Boro at home.
Critchley then brought him back too quickly, and he was injured again.
There's nothing wrong with his attitude other than he probably doesn't trust those at the club supposedly managing his minutes.
But now, if we're bringing on Albert Adomah with 15 mins left of a crucial game to hit the first man with crosses or just pass it into touch while Willock is on the bench then I despair. On one leg, he is ten times the player. Yeah, he gave the ball away against Cov. Adomah did it three times in about five minutes.
This squad is built for 433. It was there for QPR last night. But this Dave Bassett two big men up top and two banks of four shit will relegate us. And Chris Willock will be watching from the bench.
Madness.
Login to get fewer ads

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 12:18 - Apr 20 with 1214 viewsCamberleyR

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 08:50 - Apr 20 by BAWHoops

But Willock has been awful or injured since October.
Started the season on fire and then has been absolutely useless.

Rushed back from injury by Beale at the start of the season and then again in November. Had the World Cup break to get back fit and firing and has promptly stunk the place out ever since.

I wouldn't start him personally. Hasn't scored or assisted in ages and if he's not doing that he offers little else (unlike say Dykes who puts himself about)

"Rushed back from injury by Beale at the start of the season and then again in November"

I think more crucially it was the way Bealeshitter virtually flogged him into the ground when he came back into the team after missing three games after also playing for too long in his first game of the season against Middlesbrough.

Before he broke down again at Bramall Lane, fatso mole face had played him in seven consecutive games for 81, 88, 53, 81, 78, 90 and 90 minutes. You surely don't do that with a player who has not long had an operation on his hamstring? You surely nurse them back gradually?
[Post edited 21 Apr 2023 10:33]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 13:10 - Apr 20 with 1149 viewsLoyalitat

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 06:22 - Apr 20 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I cant watch this style of football, its just awful. I realise needs must, but I have a horrible feeling this is what we'll see under Ainsworth going forward regardless of which league we're in.

If the alleged fallout between him and a few of the 1st teamers is true that is unforgivable. A good manager gets the players to go with him, some need an arm around them, others a rant at, but you need to find a way.

I cant see us staying up.

I fear that you are correct. This manner of playing is set in stone and if we persist with this, it will set the club back. Regardless of division, there are many teams in division one, playing with an intent and style that is light years ahead of Ainsworth's hoof ball. It's definitely not fit for the purpose of the championship.

It's one thing having limited possession, as was the case last night, but to then compound that with less than 50% passing accuracy of that limited possession, means that you are up against it and will create very few goal scoring opportunities.

Keeping Chair largely on the periphery of games, when he has one of the highest assists in this league, is difficult to fathom. Drewe, with his not so long and hardly menacing throws, is afforded more "chance-creating" opportunities than our most creative player, who when involved, has created the last two chances from which goals have been scored.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 13:29]
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 13:18 - Apr 20 with 1089 viewsEastR

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 10:04 - Apr 20 by daveB

And yet we've probably played that system for less than 10% of the 29 games over 3 managers and only managed to win 2

That's not the problem

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 14:20 - Apr 20 with 1007 viewsstrikerace

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:43 - Apr 20 by traininvain

Agree, Warbs and Beale were in a different league as managers than the following two.
Results, with the same players, show this clearly. We would be no where near relegation if either had been retained/stayed. Getting rid of Warbs was a stupid decision
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 15:02 - Apr 20 with 955 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 11:55 - Apr 20 by TK1

Willock was brilliant THIS SEASON, playing with Chair in a free role.
He had a catastrophic hamstring injury last season, but because Beale was reliant on him he over played him when he got back and his hamstring went again during the Sheffield United game in which he scored the winner. There were games at the start of this season where Willock looked the best attacker in the division. Millwall and Watford away, for example, Boro at home.
Critchley then brought him back too quickly, and he was injured again.
There's nothing wrong with his attitude other than he probably doesn't trust those at the club supposedly managing his minutes.
But now, if we're bringing on Albert Adomah with 15 mins left of a crucial game to hit the first man with crosses or just pass it into touch while Willock is on the bench then I despair. On one leg, he is ten times the player. Yeah, he gave the ball away against Cov. Adomah did it three times in about five minutes.
This squad is built for 433. It was there for QPR last night. But this Dave Bassett two big men up top and two banks of four shit will relegate us. And Chris Willock will be watching from the bench.
Madness.

Best post on this thread TK1 IMO.
Just going on last night we were under serious pressure after Norwich went with 3 International strikers and Albert came on to save us .
Everybody that bleeds blue and white knew that was not going to help even if he made some amazing runs and crosses which of course he did not.
Willock (even at 75% ) would command attention from Norwich and he can still produce the moment of magic we desperatly needed .
Even if there is a fued going on what better way than coming on the pitch at LF in a critical game and delivering the money shot or worse case easing the tension by playing his game.
Missed oppertunity I think
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 17:07 - Apr 20 with 861 viewsderbyhoop

I'm far from convinced that, since returning from his latest injury, Willock has done enough to be trusted.
I'd still pick him over Buster Merryfield, though.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 17:13 - Apr 20 with 848 viewsNed_Kennedys

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 15:02 - Apr 20 by CLAREMAN1995

Best post on this thread TK1 IMO.
Just going on last night we were under serious pressure after Norwich went with 3 International strikers and Albert came on to save us .
Everybody that bleeds blue and white knew that was not going to help even if he made some amazing runs and crosses which of course he did not.
Willock (even at 75% ) would command attention from Norwich and he can still produce the moment of magic we desperatly needed .
Even if there is a fued going on what better way than coming on the pitch at LF in a critical game and delivering the money shot or worse case easing the tension by playing his game.
Missed oppertunity I think

Willock has been playing at about 10% of his best form, let alone 75%.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024