Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dickie off 11:08 - Jun 5 with 26005 viewswesty

Apparently having a medical at Bristol City today. Talks of around £1m. I know he’s struggled but that is not a great amount. Hopefully have a % sell on clause just in case he finds some form.
Dickie off on 01:18 - Jun 6 with 4207 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 21:39 - Jun 5 by Loyalitat

Agree with every word. We won't go very far at this level if that is our modus operandi.

Macca could play a bit too. You don't play top-flight football for as long as he did by just launching it.

You certainly won't get very far at any level if you agree with something fabricated.

As for modus operandi, there are shades of grey you know. It's a not a definitive choice between playing out from the back or launching it.
Dickie off on 01:21 - Jun 6 with 4197 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 21:52 - Jun 5 by nadera78

How can you persevere with someone who has 1 year left on his contract? The club's skint, we can't afford to let players leave on free transfers.

Agree. Good luck to Rob but he didn't want to sign an extension so it was only right that the club get something for him. The board would be roundly criticised if they allowed another Bright Osayi-Samuel/Ryan Manning to happen.
Dickie off on 01:22 - Jun 6 with 4194 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 20:28 - Jun 5 by jeffranger

Undisclosed so can stop guessing at fee paid

No guessing. Lots of articles quoting the million pound mark.
Dickie off on 10:28 - Jun 6 with 3706 viewsstevec

Says he played 129 games for us, an average of 43 games a season.

They should spend part of his transfer fee on print outs of that and stick them on the locker doors of the shirkers loitering around the club.
Dickie off on 10:32 - Jun 6 with 3701 viewsPikey

Not sorry to see him go. Thought he showed promise during locckdown but was awful last season and quite a bit of the season b4. That was not due to a lack of a ility as he showed against Burnley at the back end. It was attitude .
Might be one of the few things b...tard Beale got right in dropping him from early days. But we move on and Dickie will be one of many hundreds of players that have left in my 60 years supporting the club but the fans remain.
Dickie off on 10:33 - Jun 6 with 3687 viewsRangersw12

Dickie off on 01:21 - Jun 6 by Benny_the_Ball

Agree. Good luck to Rob but he didn't want to sign an extension so it was only right that the club get something for him. The board would be roundly criticised if they allowed another Bright Osayi-Samuel/Ryan Manning to happen.

They have allowed a similar situation to Manning/BOS as they've allowed him to get into the final year of his contract .

Same with Willock and Dykes .
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 13:04]
Dickie off on 10:41 - Jun 6 with 3646 viewsWatford_Ranger

Dickie off on 10:33 - Jun 6 by Rangersw12

They have allowed a similar situation to Manning/BOS as they've allowed him to get into the final year of his contract .

Would we have wanted him to sign a new deal though?

Not saying he’s a bad player albeit with some horrific flaws but if we can’t improve on 2022/23 Rob D then we might as well give up now.
Dickie off on 10:49 - Jun 6 with 3624 viewsPhildo

I have had a bit of time to reflect on this one and am an not too sorry. We/I had high hopes for him but in the end there were significant limitations to his game which have been well rehearsed above- lack of pace getting exposed (particularly without Barbet) positional naivety, could not play in a back 4 and ultimately fairly obviously did not want to be here. The player we watched last year weakens one of our competitors in my view.

That awful team from last year needed to be broken up and it has to start somewhere. So be it.

it does not look promising for us for next year but there is always a punchers chance and we have been soft for so long (the dread of any sort of a derby typifies) that we need to hope that the stars align for GA.
Login to get fewer ads

Dickie off on 13:02 - Jun 6 with 3311 viewsDorse

#announcesomethingorother

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Dickie off on 13:21 - Jun 6 with 3218 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Similar but not the same. Dickie leaves with a year remaining on his QPR contract. The club continued negotiating with BOS well into his final year but he ended up going to Fenerbahce in January after signing a pre-contract agreement. That makes a huge difference to any potential fee.

It remains to be seen whether the club will try to maximise income by selling Willock and Dykes this summer or gamble by keeping them into next season.
Dickie off on 13:38 - Jun 6 with 3182 viewsterryb

Neither Dickie or Manning were going to sign new contracts, therefore they would always go into the last year of their current ones. The same will apply to Dykes & Willock.

In those situations there is nothing the club can do about it other than manage to sell the player when they are at their highest valuation. We did miss out on doing that with Dickie & we will with Willock, but we have no idea if any clubs made offers for them in summer 2022 or January 2023.
Dickie off on 13:44 - Jun 6 with 3139 viewsNorthernr

Dickie off on 13:38 - Jun 6 by terryb

Neither Dickie or Manning were going to sign new contracts, therefore they would always go into the last year of their current ones. The same will apply to Dykes & Willock.

In those situations there is nothing the club can do about it other than manage to sell the player when they are at their highest valuation. We did miss out on doing that with Dickie & we will with Willock, but we have no idea if any clubs made offers for them in summer 2022 or January 2023.

Dickie would happily have signed a new deal here at any point up to about 12 months ago. manning likewise had we not pissd him about under McClaren, BOS the same. We went to manning and BOS only after they'd got in the team, found form, and their value had rocketed, when it was in their interests to go on frees.

I do appreciate the club can't force players to sign contracts, but this is happening too often - Jack Robinson, Manning, BOS, Willock, Dickie, Barbet, sellable assets leaving for cheap or nothing because of contact situations - for it to be purely bad luck. The club have a story for all of them, oh Robinson wouldn't swallow his pride and ended up leaving for a worse offer, oh manning was a dickhead behind the scenes, oh Bright's dad wouldn't let him sign, oh Yoann wanted to go back to France, and so on and on and on.

Simple fact is, we talk about recruitment a lot, we're also pretty lousy at retention, with players like Nico, Shodipo and owens hanging around on long contracts contributing nothing, while good money walks out of the door for free.
Dickie off on 14:06 - Jun 6 with 3057 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 13:44 - Jun 6 by Northernr

Dickie would happily have signed a new deal here at any point up to about 12 months ago. manning likewise had we not pissd him about under McClaren, BOS the same. We went to manning and BOS only after they'd got in the team, found form, and their value had rocketed, when it was in their interests to go on frees.

I do appreciate the club can't force players to sign contracts, but this is happening too often - Jack Robinson, Manning, BOS, Willock, Dickie, Barbet, sellable assets leaving for cheap or nothing because of contact situations - for it to be purely bad luck. The club have a story for all of them, oh Robinson wouldn't swallow his pride and ended up leaving for a worse offer, oh manning was a dickhead behind the scenes, oh Bright's dad wouldn't let him sign, oh Yoann wanted to go back to France, and so on and on and on.

Simple fact is, we talk about recruitment a lot, we're also pretty lousy at retention, with players like Nico, Shodipo and owens hanging around on long contracts contributing nothing, while good money walks out of the door for free.

I agree that QPR handles retention badly but I think we should recognise our position right now and understand that players will view QPR as a stepping stone. To expect good, ambitious players to stay longer than 4 years is largely unrealistic so the onus should be on continuously identifying replacements and selling players when their stock is high. This for me, has been QPR's biggest failing in recent years as Dieng, Willock, Dickie, Dykes and Chair were all playing well midway through their contracts and could have been sold on for profit.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 15:37]
Dickie off on 14:12 - Jun 6 with 3027 viewsterryb

I do completely agree that it is happening too often & perhaps you're correct (you would know more than I would) that Dickie would have signed a new contract 12 months ago. I also accept that Manning (in particular) & BOS were driven away because of the treatment under McClaren.

I think where we really fail as a club, is knowing when to offer new contracts & what level to pitch them at (salary & length). We do seem to have an expectation that we can leave it to the summer before termination rather than being pro active. I also think we went overboard with not playing Manning, he definitely didn't down tools after telling Swansea he wouldn't be staying. But don't tell Mike this!

Hopefully a realistic extension is being made to Sam Field this summer. Maybe Jimmy Dunne as well. My point was that you can't stop players leaving that don't want to stay, but I should not have based it on just the last year of contract.

I also find it bewildering that we expected Robinson to accept a decrease in salary (if reports I've read are correct) while we offer extensions/longer contracts to players that are clearly past thier best - Adomah & Johansen being obvious examples. Johansen is only in hindsight though!

It is retention rather than recruitment that I think we underachieve & this is by biggest grouse with Ferdinand.
Dickie off on 14:17 - Jun 6 with 3010 viewsHunterhoop

It’s very hard though, Clive.

If you sign players on the 3+1 yr option (ours), you need to renew them after 2 seasons. At that point you’re likely needing to offer an increase in salary, which, if we’re doing this to multiple players impacts your budget an FFP.

To afford those increases, you have to allow some players to walk and replace them with cheaper (to fund the increase in the retained staff). It’s a difficult balancing act.

If you sign players on 3 year deals only (or shorter), you’re stuffed. To avoid the situation you’re referring to, Clive, you’d have to renew after 1 season. At that point you may not want to tie yourself to X more years of an unproven player. Equally, that’s only one season on the original terms followed by more on increased terms (to get them to extend). You simply can’t do this for everyone as your wage bill in total rockets). You have to make bets.

Clearly the club have made bad mistakes, so not defending them. I just thing the financial position each summer isn’t such that we can just increase the salaries of a handful of first teamers half way through their deals to get them to stay. It’s only possible if you have a load of contracts expiring that you replace for cheaper to free up funds, and even then probably only possible by shrinking the squad in total. Players don’t renew for the same money.

The issue we have - where we go wrong is two fold:

1) we don’t sell players when we should, financially, and with the club’s long term health in mind, not just next season. Dickie should have been sold in the Aug of his second season. Warburton would have gone spare and probably resigned, but that was the time. In great form, no contract end in sight. Prem clubs enquiring. Willock should have gone in Jan last season, but with us 3rd, how would fans and Warburton reacted? Chair MUST go this summer. If you’re going to sign low, sell high, you have to plan to sell when you can sell them high, which is 18-24 months out from expiry, no shorter. We don’t. We chase results on the pitch.

2) you have to have identified the replacements you’re bringing in way in advance.

This is most important when it comes to replacing the expired players. This is where you bring in non-league/league 2 players on low salaries, less than before, allowing you to pay for inflation amongst your good players you want to retain to ensure you realise asset value in future. We are woeful at signing from league 2 and below. As you rightly point out, Clive, we keep missing the boat here, and then ending up wanting them after they’ve excelled in League 1. Too late, Rangers. That ship has sailed. Whoever our lower league scout/data analyst is, they need to up their game or be replaced. If we don’t have one, invest in one! It’s one of the most important positions at the club.

Obviously it’s also important for replacing the starters with others who you think you can sign for a little less than the sale, or pay a little less than the sold player, without an impact on the first team performance. Again, we have been poor here. Our money signings haven’t performed well enough, arguably Willock apart, possible Dykes. But Washington and Bonne were a lot of money for us and were disasters. If we sell Chair this summer - we must - we should have it already locked in who we’re signing to replace him. If we sell Dykes - we must if he won’t renew - again we should have had it locked in already who we’re after.

This sort of longer term signing strategy would also remove the likelihood of the manager just signing the lads he knows.

I’m sure a Belk and a Ferdinand would say we do have this in place, but I don’t think we’re executing it well enough. Too often our target is out of our price range and we have to go to plan B. That’s poor planning. Moore was 1st choice, not Dykes. The lad who went to Brentford, not Dickie. I’ sure there are others.

We’ll know how much of long term strategic scouting has been done by who replaces the players we sell. I’m worried one or two will be Ainsworth/Dobbo boys because they can actually persuade them to join us over other clubs. This may be an upside for us, but it makes the pool we’re fishing in very small. We should know who we’re bringing in outside these. And I’d like to see 1-2 hot non league prospects brought it.

They may turn out to be shit - judging by our recent record, probably will be - but this is the only way we can make the club work and improve things on a budget. We just need to be better at it.

Contract renewals are very hard though. The power is with the player. And, with FFP, you can’t just increase salaries constantly to retain players.

FFP and Bosman mean you will, you must, have a high turnover of players each season.
Dickie off on 14:45 - Jun 6 with 2932 viewsbosh67

Jimmy Dunne is our only recognised CB left. I know that we have Clarke-Salter but until anyone can prove he can play more than a handful of games in a row and Gubbins perhaps gets an actual chance, Jimmy is the only one left. I am sure Field won't be itching to play CB.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 14:45]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dickie off on 15:03 - Jun 6 with 2868 viewsstevec

We are shopping in the bargain basement, I’m puzzled now why we are even thinking about long term contracts.

Offer a competitive wage with a one year contract and say it’ll be improved if you show any signs of being a reliable professional footballer. The complete antithesis of the Taylor Richards fiasco.

Eze was a one off, or at least a once every 25 years one off (Marsh/Les). One worked, one didn’t, and one in abeyance, It’s ridiculous to plan around a likely 25 year event.

As for a DOF, who needs one when all your incoming players are free transfers? Get rid of the office dweller and replace him with 10 out and about scouts for the same money.
Dickie off on 15:21 - Jun 6 with 2825 viewsLongRanger

On the contract management, it surely makes sense that as standard every player gets 3+1 yr option, you then have a policy that at the end of year 2, you will either extend it, sell them or do nothing (accept risk they go for peanuts if year 3 is a big success). You'll win some and lose some, will need some tough decisions, but generally shouldn't get your pants pulled down
Dickie off on 15:47 - Jun 6 with 2702 viewsdaveB

Dickie signed a 4 year deal the same time as Niko, Kakay etc

Would us giving him A 3 year deal 18 months ago have got us anymore money? I think that would have priced him out of a move and he'd still be here same with some of the others and we'd be saying why give him such a long deal he's crap.
Dickie off on 15:48 - Jun 6 with 2695 viewsTK1

If we'd given him a three year (+1) extension at the end of 21-22 on improved terms and he'd turned in the kind of season that had you cursing him from the stand last year and describing his as a brick with two eyes drawn on in match reports...would that have been good business? I'm struggling with the logic here.

He'll be approaching 31 at the end of that contract. He'll have known this is his big life-altering contract, and I'm sure he's got that. Good luck to Bristol City but how is this good business unless they get promoted?

All these players you mentioned - and Dieng, Chair, Dykes etc - know they can get better money elsewhere plus signing-on fees. The market for this level of player has collapsed, so rinsing possibly the best three playing years from someone like Dickie and selling him for up to a million seems...OK?

Signing slightly above average players in their golden years to long and handsome contracts sinks clubs more reliably than occasionally watching them leave for free. Just look at all the well-known and often premium players leaving clubs for nothing this summer across both top divisions.
Dickie off on 17:05 - Jun 6 with 2469 viewsnadera78

It's one thing to say we should have sold Dickie last summer when he still had 2 years left on his contract, but that rather presupposes that another club wanted to sign him back then. Paying £X for a player halfway through his contract is very different to signing him when he's got 1 year left and his club needs money.

Did we ever receive an actual offer for Dickie? There was talk re West Ham but did it ever go beyond that? I have no idea tbh.
Dickie off on 17:23 - Jun 6 with 2395 viewsNorthernr

Ok here’s another one then. Is this whole ‘development model’ a pre Covid plan for a post Covid world? Transfer market has died, players just run the contracts down… and if so what is the alternative for a club with our income levels in an FFP world?
Dickie off on 17:43 - Jun 6 with 2297 viewsstevec

Dickie off on 17:23 - Jun 6 by Northernr

Ok here’s another one then. Is this whole ‘development model’ a pre Covid plan for a post Covid world? Transfer market has died, players just run the contracts down… and if so what is the alternative for a club with our income levels in an FFP world?

I think development model is a term used to keep the fans under the thumb and those employed more time than they deserve (8years and counting).

As it always has been at this level and below it’s about having good scouts on the ground looking at developed players at whatever level who might make the grade. I don’t think that’s been the case here.

Quite why we think we can find any decent under 16’s who won’t be snapped up before they’ve got anywhere near our first team is a complete mystery.
Dickie off on 18:32 - Jun 6 with 2126 viewsHooping_Mad

Dickie off on 17:23 - Jun 6 by Northernr

Setting realistic goals for academy staff, compare the cost of our academy staff to another similar club who are achieving better results, say Bristol. Then set them a budget and stick to it. Get rid of the dead wood.

Fight ULEZ to the death as I don't need the hassle of daft letters from Sadiq Khan telling me to research the conception of my vehicles construction or pay an extra £12 on top of the Petrol, Parking, ticket prices, bad football, food etc. In other words I now go less because of bureaucracy and cost.

Stock the club shop so that popular items are always in stock or even allow us to back order. Given up even looking on there.

Don't buy Mac Bonne again. Maybe buy a striker that has a habit of scoring goals consistently. Once a decade is not enough.

Revolutionary stuff, Imagine what an intellectually invested, motivated board could think of.

[Post edited 8 Jun 2023 20:36]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Dickie off on 18:49 - Jun 6 with 2069 viewsQPROslo

Dickie off on 14:06 - Jun 6 by Benny_the_Ball

I agree that QPR handles retention badly but I think we should recognise our position right now and understand that players will view QPR as a stepping stone. To expect good, ambitious players to stay longer than 4 years is largely unrealistic so the onus should be on continuously identifying replacements and selling players when their stock is high. This for me, has been QPR's biggest failing in recent years as Dieng, Willock, Dickie, Dykes and Chair were all playing well midway through their contracts and could have been sold on for profit.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 15:37]

Well I think Chair, Dieng and Dykes are still playing ok and could and should be sold at decent profits, especially Chair and Dykes. They are all still playing well. Willock possibly too but his value and form is down due to his hamstring injuries.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024