Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nathan Tella 20:18 - Jun 5 with 2056 viewssaintsfanbrock

Nathan Tella has removed from his Instagram profile that he is a Saints player, looks like he is pretty certain he is going. Don’t hold anything against him, he deserved a chance when we didn’t give him one and he’s gained his promotion while we deserved our relegation, he should reap the rewards of his last season and not be hit with the result of the rest of the teams slump.
Nathan Tella on 20:43 - Jun 5 with 1991 viewscocklebreath

Opinions like this really do my nut in, he’s a saints player we did give him a chance and if he does leave I won’t be wishing him well, I think the only player I did was Ricky Lambert.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Nathan Tella on 23:38 - Jun 5 with 1806 viewsRon11

I think the biggest issue with with Nathan Tella was that a/the management here failed to see his potential and so sent him off on loan and b/ when he did play here, like the other strikers the style of play hardly ever got the ball to his feet (this eventually even happened to Ings).
Happily for Tella, Vincent Kompany is a better manager than any of the dross masquerading as coaches that have been at Saints in the last couple of years.
Nathan Tella on 07:13 - Jun 6 with 1704 viewssaintwizzler

Nathan Tella on 23:38 - Jun 5 by Ron11

I think the biggest issue with with Nathan Tella was that a/the management here failed to see his potential and so sent him off on loan and b/ when he did play here, like the other strikers the style of play hardly ever got the ball to his feet (this eventually even happened to Ings).
Happily for Tella, Vincent Kompany is a better manager than any of the dross masquerading as coaches that have been at Saints in the last couple of years.

The biggest issue with Tella is that he wasn’t Premier League quality.
Wether or not he is now we will see if he moves to Burnley.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Nathan Tella on 09:33 - Jun 6 with 1601 viewsRon11

Nathan Tella on 07:13 - Jun 6 by saintwizzler

The biggest issue with Tella is that he wasn’t Premier League quality.
Wether or not he is now we will see if he moves to Burnley.

Same old excuse, 'wasn't Premier League quality'.
Guarantee he'll score goals for Burnley and be so happy that Saints didn't give him a chance.
Nathan Tella on 09:57 - Jun 6 with 1585 viewssaint901

Tella was given a chance at Saints but was unable to take it.

A combination of perhaps being played in the wrong place against strong opposition and a resulting loss of confidence was his issue and he needed time to rebuild his undoubted talent and ability.

He's taken that chance and done very well for himself at Burnley and I for one would not wish to deny him the place he's earned in the PL.
Nathan Tella on 10:21 - Jun 6 with 1571 viewssaintwizzler

Nathan Tella on 09:33 - Jun 6 by Ron11

Same old excuse, 'wasn't Premier League quality'.
Guarantee he'll score goals for Burnley and be so happy that Saints didn't give him a chance.

No excuse. It’s fact.
He wasn’t but maybe he is now.
Time will tell.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Nathan Tella on 10:48 - Jun 6 with 1554 viewsarfurdent

does it matter?

What about poor Holly?

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Nathan Tella on 11:14 - Jun 6 with 1534 viewsSonicBoom

Let's be honest his "reward" will be to get tonked at Burnley every week.

Also it remains to be seen whether he can cut it. He never showed much for us but I concede he has more experience now. But.. both Adams and Armstrong scored bucket loads in the Championship then very few in the PL. It doesn't necessarily mean Tella is going to be great.
Login to get fewer ads

Nathan Tella on 11:46 - Jun 6 with 1512 viewsSaintNick

Nathan Tella on 23:38 - Jun 5 by Ron11

Nathan Tella had plenty of opportunities here, at times he showed promise, but he never got any sort of consistency and perhaps injury didn't help in that respect.

Sending him out on loan last season was a good idea, he needed regular game time to toughen him up and see if he could cut it.

The Championship is a big gap from the Premier league, Tella started 17 games plus 16 as sub for Saints scored just once.

Moussa Djenepo with 37(36) and 3 goals, Sekou Mara 4 (18) and 1 goal, Theo Walcott 38(12) and 5 goals are all much maligned but have better records.

Tella will be in demand at Burnley, I am not sure he would do any better than what we have at the moment

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Nathan Tella on 13:18 - Jun 6 with 1451 viewssaint901

In my humble opinion the difference between Tella at Saints and at Burnley is simple.

Saints wanted him to fit a box on the pitch whereby the majority of times he received the ball with his back to goal and was required to control it, turn, move/pass. In the PL you get very little time to do that and your control has to be immediate and precise. I think he spent a lot of time worrying about that job and his dithering made him look clumsy and out of touch and not very useful.

At Burnley, bouyed by the fact that the team was clearly better than all the others in the Champ, he had more time and space, was allowed to receive the ball facing goal, was expected to score and little else . He took that chance and owned it.

I will predict him having a good start in the PL - 6 to 8 games - before the defenders learn about him and nullify his runs and positions.

The very best PL strikers have a talent for doing something exceptionally well be that pace, technique, positioning (Henry, Aguerro, Kane) or have a number of physical attributes (Shearer, Halaand) or can play in more than one position (Foden, Trossard). I'm sure Tella is not with those guys but he has the opportunity to grow into them now.

Good luck to him.
Nathan Tella on 15:07 - Jun 6 with 1359 viewsRon11

Nathan Tella on 13:18 - Jun 6 by saint901

In my humble opinion the difference between Tella at Saints and at Burnley is simple.

Saints wanted him to fit a box on the pitch whereby the majority of times he received the ball with his back to goal and was required to control it, turn, move/pass. In the PL you get very little time to do that and your control has to be immediate and precise. I think he spent a lot of time worrying about that job and his dithering made him look clumsy and out of touch and not very useful.

At Burnley, bouyed by the fact that the team was clearly better than all the others in the Champ, he had more time and space, was allowed to receive the ball facing goal, was expected to score and little else . He took that chance and owned it.

I will predict him having a good start in the PL - 6 to 8 games - before the defenders learn about him and nullify his runs and positions.

The very best PL strikers have a talent for doing something exceptionally well be that pace, technique, positioning (Henry, Aguerro, Kane) or have a number of physical attributes (Shearer, Halaand) or can play in more than one position (Foden, Trossard). I'm sure Tella is not with those guys but he has the opportunity to grow into them now.

Good luck to him.

Same problem with Che Adams and Adam Armstrong.
Watching the 'sideways /back' facing away from their target.
Nathan Tella on 15:26 - Jun 6 with 1338 viewskingslandstand1

He won't get my best wishes particularly. He had chances down here but clearly did not do enough to satisfy the management at that time or was adaptable enough to suit the style of play

He went to a team in a lower division to improve and he may well have done, but as to whether to a Premier League standard we wo'n't know until he gets to play there. He wasn't good enough last time, so hope for his sake he does

But as Cockle has said below, he's a Saints player and we have helped him by giving him a temporary move to improve and get game time, and his response? "Fuk you Saints, I'm off"
Nathan Tella on 19:19 - Jun 6 with 1194 viewssaintsfanbrock

Nathan Tella on 11:46 - Jun 6 by SaintNick

Nathan Tella had plenty of opportunities here, at times he showed promise, but he never got any sort of consistency and perhaps injury didn't help in that respect.

Sending him out on loan last season was a good idea, he needed regular game time to toughen him up and see if he could cut it.

The Championship is a big gap from the Premier league, Tella started 17 games plus 16 as sub for Saints scored just once.

Moussa Djenepo with 37(36) and 3 goals, Sekou Mara 4 (18) and 1 goal, Theo Walcott 38(12) and 5 goals are all much maligned but have better records.

Tella will be in demand at Burnley, I am not sure he would do any better than what we have at the moment

I’m not sure that’s a fair comment that Tella has had lots of opportunities, he has only ever played one full premier league game in his time with Southampton. He’s also racked up almost double the league minutes in one season with Burnley than we have ever given him. I’d understand your comments if he was 19/20 but he’s 23 and will be 24 in a month, his next contract could well be his prime years as a winger, I’d want to sign that with a team and a manager that have shown they will play me. I probably wouldn’t want to continue on a squad role contract that has likely dropped even more due to a relegation clause in it.

As you say the Championship is a big gap to the Premier League, but if you are going to make the real big buck in football as a player you have to take your chances in the biggest leagues when they are handed to you. Tella could return to the Saints, maybe repeat last season in the championship and do it again and get that chance next year, but either due to a combination of not getting minutes or Saints performing badly next season that might not pay off.

Your stats are misleading, Tella in the league for saints racked up 1 goal and 2 assists over 1500 minutes. Djenepo got his 3 goals and 4 assists over 3,300 minutes (pretty similar per minute and that’s without considering age and playing full games) and Walcott in the league in 1500 minutes got 2 goals (I think the other 3 goals you have attributed to him were in the PL2) and 2 assists (Walcotts goal involvements all coming in 16 matches in a row he was involved in, the first five he got no assists or goals, perhaps if Tella had been handed such a long stint he would have got his eye in like he did at Burnley) I agree Mara has a similar record.
Nathan Tella on 19:29 - Jun 6 with 1188 viewssaintsfanbrock

Nathan Tella on 15:26 - Jun 6 by kingslandstand1

He won't get my best wishes particularly. He had chances down here but clearly did not do enough to satisfy the management at that time or was adaptable enough to suit the style of play

He went to a team in a lower division to improve and he may well have done, but as to whether to a Premier League standard we wo'n't know until he gets to play there. He wasn't good enough last time, so hope for his sake he does

But as Cockle has said below, he's a Saints player and we have helped him by giving him a temporary move to improve and get game time, and his response? "Fuk you Saints, I'm off"

Who says that we helped him out with a temporary move last year? Perhaps the player himself requested a move because Ralph told him he still wasn’t going to play him and signed more young players in similar positions. This time last year according to Transfermarkt his value was £1.8mil, this was probably too little for saints to let go of someone they felt they had invested in with three years of a relatively small contract left. So I paint you a picture where saints, the player and his agent agreed to send him out on loan so he could get the game time he wanted, saints could pass on his wage and hopefully he could increase his value a win win for all, no point for saints in having a player not even getting onto the bench on the budget.
We should be due the best part of that £18mil for a player we didn’t want, why are we complaining?
Nathan Tella on 19:37 - Jun 6 with 1180 viewssaintsfanbrock

Nathan Tella on 20:43 - Jun 5 by cocklebreath

Opinions like this really do my nut in, he’s a saints player we did give him a chance and if he does leave I won’t be wishing him well, I think the only player I did was Ricky Lambert.

Do you put two fingers up at everyone that leaves your place of work? Don’t get me wrong, there’s a special place in hell for the likes of Ings, Van Dijk, Lovren etc for the way they left but a footballers career is short and if they do it in the right manner then it is what it is and has more to do with modern football money situation than the player themself.

I’m not at the same place of work I was when I was 21 because the pay was shit and the company was small, not sure any of my ex-colleagues have ever begrudged me for it so not sure why you get to do the same to everyone but Lambert.
Nathan Tella on 20:09 - Jun 6 with 1138 viewskingslandstand1

Nathan Tella on 19:29 - Jun 6 by saintsfanbrock

Who says that we helped him out with a temporary move last year? Perhaps the player himself requested a move because Ralph told him he still wasn’t going to play him and signed more young players in similar positions. This time last year according to Transfermarkt his value was £1.8mil, this was probably too little for saints to let go of someone they felt they had invested in with three years of a relatively small contract left. So I paint you a picture where saints, the player and his agent agreed to send him out on loan so he could get the game time he wanted, saints could pass on his wage and hopefully he could increase his value a win win for all, no point for saints in having a player not even getting onto the bench on the budget.
We should be due the best part of that £18mil for a player we didn’t want, why are we complaining?

Because we don't know the facts, bottom line, and all assuming (as you did) with the fact that he's decided he's going as he feels he will do better with burnley than us

Let's just hope we get top dollar for him, but at the moment he's a Saints player and to wipe us off the map show's no respect for us as a club that allowed him to go and get game time which from the club's point of view, should have been for our benefit when he comes back, as well as his
Nathan Tella on 20:19 - Jun 6 with 1125 viewssaintsfanbrock

Nathan Tella on 20:09 - Jun 6 by kingslandstand1

Because we don't know the facts, bottom line, and all assuming (as you did) with the fact that he's decided he's going as he feels he will do better with burnley than us

Let's just hope we get top dollar for him, but at the moment he's a Saints player and to wipe us off the map show's no respect for us as a club that allowed him to go and get game time which from the club's point of view, should have been for our benefit when he comes back, as well as his

You seem to have misread my comments, I was not assuming, the comment I referred to had assumed, I just provided an alternative theory (Which I don’t know to be true at all, but frankly seems more likely given most loans that are not to save wages are for players younger).

Allowed him to go get game time? You think it’s a good business to keep a man on the books that at 23 is past what (especially in our young squad) most consider a youth prospect on the bench when you have got younger alternatives you are willing to give game time. No it suited Saints to not have him at the club the last year, if we get money on top of that then so be it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024