Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rustyball 08:42 - Jun 29 with 2931 viewsPatfromPoole

Have been reading up on Rustyball on The Athletic.

Rusty’s tactic is basically as below.

- pass, pass, pass, pass, pass very slowly
- wait for the oppo to get bored of this and to press
- then try and pass through their press
- hope you don’t give the ball away when the oppo do press

It is a bit of a mystery to me what happens if the oppo don’t press.

Presumably a repeat of West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup.

Could be a tough watch though. Dribbling and long passes are strongly discouraged and rarely happen.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Rustyball on 10:31 - Jun 30 with 720 viewsPatfromPoole

Rustyball on 10:21 - Jun 30 by SaintNick

Ive learned about his strengths not his limitations, there is a good player in their as was shown by the goals he scored and the assists he got.

Likewise Adam Armstrong, yes the Liverpool game was like a Testimonial, but he still took his chance well, you wax lyrical about Dom Ballard, but so far all he has done is score a late goal in injury time against a League One side, given a choice I would have Adam Armstrong above Ballard in the side that starts the season

I thought for a minute you were looking at some positives

This post has been edited by an administrator

Ballard is a striker who makes the right runs and looks desperate for the ball.

Mara is just lazy; hardly moves, gets brushed off the ball easily and can’t head the ball. Not particularly quick either. Has none of the attributes to be a successful forward playing in this country.

I await with eagerness your prediction for how many goals Mara will score this season.

I do focus on positives. There just aren’t many at the moment.

We do have some good players, it’s just whether they suit the Rustyball system.

Rustyball on 13:49 - Jun 30 with 683 views1teeminants

Rustyball on 09:25 - Jun 30 by PatfromPoole

They haven’t been regular goalscorers for a few seasons, and you don’t just start scoring again just because you are playing in a different league.

Adam Armstrong is now a totally different player from the striker that Blackburn had. All his confidence has been coached out of him by Hassenhutl.

That said, I think a front 3 of Che, Piroe and Tella could do a lot of damage in this League.

I think Ballard could do well too. I just thing there is far too much negativity about . Yes last season was awful we made many bad decisions by management.

Even if we sell JWP, KWP ,Kotchap ,Salisu , Lavia etc (and I think they will leave) we still have enough quality to compete in this league. There’s bound to be several additions too.

I don’t get all the negativity.I think the time to worry is if we sell the above plus Alcarez, Tella ,sulemana etc

Caleta car, Stephens and Bednarek would be fine in this league and Perraud.

Adams, Armstrong, Ballard ,Sulemana will also be fine .

Let’s give this New manager a chance

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Rustyball on 14:14 - Jun 30 with 675 viewsPatfromPoole

Rustyball on 13:49 - Jun 30 by 1teeminants

I think Ballard could do well too. I just thing there is far too much negativity about . Yes last season was awful we made many bad decisions by management.

Even if we sell JWP, KWP ,Kotchap ,Salisu , Lavia etc (and I think they will leave) we still have enough quality to compete in this league. There’s bound to be several additions too.

I don’t get all the negativity.I think the time to worry is if we sell the above plus Alcarez, Tella ,sulemana etc

Caleta car, Stephens and Bednarek would be fine in this league and Perraud.

Adams, Armstrong, Ballard ,Sulemana will also be fine .

Let’s give this New manager a chance

Alcaraz will definitely leave. Napoli have been linked with him.

I’m all for giving the manager a chance; I just think that we need to sign a completely new team to be compatible with the way he insists on playing.

The warning signs are there for me from reading comments by Swansea fans and also fans of teams who have played against Swansea. It is not the sort of football which regularly succeeds in this League.

Rustyball on 15:31 - Jun 30 with 643 viewsLondonSaint76

Rustyball on 09:23 - Jun 30 by Southamptonfan

We would need to be the Man City of the Championship though. It's a tough league, it's physical, players will rough us up. Playing beautiful possession based passing football won't be easy away at Millwall for example. I think we will need a plan B. Our passing will get disrupted with crunching tackles and physical play in some games. I just can't see how we will be so good that we can get just pass our way through every team, just like that. You need superior players to every team to do that.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 9:25]

And I think you can add to the good points you have made about the reality of life in the Championship that in addition to the physicality the standards of refereeing won’t be the same, a lot more will be let go in this division so the same level of protection on offer in the Prem just won’t necessarily be there this coming season. I can see certain players, if they stay, getting targeted - Sulemana for example, who (Rustyball permitting) could rip some C/ship defences to shreds but I can see him having the asterisks kicked out of him for sure…
Going places like Millwall is like walking into a bear pit at the best of times but add to that the fact we are freshly‘fallen elite’ and that just has the away teams and their fans salivating at the thought of being able to take a scalp and rub more salt into already raw wounds. I can envisage some tough away days for all three of the relegated teams tbh…
I think the summer signings will be key, this time we have to get it right to have any chance of a decent season. We could do with a Franny or a Jimmy Case in the mix - actually, Franny still looks fit enough put in a shift! Joking aside, we must get it right - I’d like to see Tella & Smallbone stay along with AA and Che who I could see doing a job deeper as he can pick out a pass or two so perhaps could operate in more of a midfield role if Rustyball is the way we are going.
I do have my concerns as expressed by others on this thread but I just hope we get decent money for those that go and invest it wisely and properly in the right players fit for purpose in this division and able to give us all something to get excited about at St Mary’s -
it’s been a while for sure….

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Rustyball on 15:34 - Jun 30 with 641 viewsSaintNick

Rustyball on 10:31 - Jun 30 by PatfromPoole

Ballard is a striker who makes the right runs and looks desperate for the ball.

Mara is just lazy; hardly moves, gets brushed off the ball easily and can’t head the ball. Not particularly quick either. Has none of the attributes to be a successful forward playing in this country.

I await with eagerness your prediction for how many goals Mara will score this season.

I do focus on positives. There just aren’t many at the moment.

We do have some good players, it’s just whether they suit the Rustyball system.

Pat I dont mean to be rude

"Ballard is a striker who makes the right runs and looks desperate for the ball."

- He has played just 24 minutes of football in the Premier League, 4 of which, as you state where in a game that was a testimonial.

Mara didn't have a great season, but he was playing in a poor side where he didnt get the ball a lot just 542 minutes in the Premier League for 1 goal ( every 542 mins) and 2 assists (every 271 mins).

Che Adams played 1,997 minutes for 5 goals so that is a goal every 400 minutes and 3 assists ( every 665)

If we get down to the nitty gritty Mara's stats weren't a lot different, we can work on getting him with the pace of a game and the Championship is a lot of a less standard.

Mara played one game for the B team and got 4 goals, Ballard in contrast played 16 games and scored 13 goals.

All I am doing is trying to highlight that judging Mara playing in last years Premier League season is short sighted, no one got any goals in open play, lets give him a chance to do it in the Championship where we will spent more time on the front foot than the past.

Likewise lets give Martin a chance to show what sort of game he is going to play here before we decry it, perhaps it won't work in the Championship, but we don't know that till we have seen it for ourselves.

I can see positives, I am judging what is likely to be left from last seasons squad on Championship standards and not what they did last year, after all Adam Armstrong is living proof that scoring in the Championship is not guaranteed that you can do it in the Premier League

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Rustyball on 15:47 - Jun 30 with 637 viewsPatfromPoole

Rustyball on 15:34 - Jun 30 by SaintNick

Pat I dont mean to be rude

"Ballard is a striker who makes the right runs and looks desperate for the ball."

- He has played just 24 minutes of football in the Premier League, 4 of which, as you state where in a game that was a testimonial.

Mara didn't have a great season, but he was playing in a poor side where he didnt get the ball a lot just 542 minutes in the Premier League for 1 goal ( every 542 mins) and 2 assists (every 271 mins).

Che Adams played 1,997 minutes for 5 goals so that is a goal every 400 minutes and 3 assists ( every 665)

If we get down to the nitty gritty Mara's stats weren't a lot different, we can work on getting him with the pace of a game and the Championship is a lot of a less standard.

Mara played one game for the B team and got 4 goals, Ballard in contrast played 16 games and scored 13 goals.

All I am doing is trying to highlight that judging Mara playing in last years Premier League season is short sighted, no one got any goals in open play, lets give him a chance to do it in the Championship where we will spent more time on the front foot than the past.

Likewise lets give Martin a chance to show what sort of game he is going to play here before we decry it, perhaps it won't work in the Championship, but we don't know that till we have seen it for ourselves.

I can see positives, I am judging what is likely to be left from last seasons squad on Championship standards and not what they did last year, after all Adam Armstrong is living proof that scoring in the Championship is not guaranteed that you can do it in the Premier League

My view on Mara is based not just on stats, but from just watching him. His lack of workrate was totally evident.

Regardless of how poor the team is, you should still put the effort in. As I mentioned elsewhere, he frequently got the ball, but was brushed off it.

He also looked really poor in Cup matches against poor sides like Blackpool and Grimsby, which doesn’t bode well for the Championship.

Rustyball on 15:55 - Jun 30 with 626 viewsSaintNick

Rustyball on 15:47 - Jun 30 by PatfromPoole

My view on Mara is based not just on stats, but from just watching him. His lack of workrate was totally evident.

Regardless of how poor the team is, you should still put the effort in. As I mentioned elsewhere, he frequently got the ball, but was brushed off it.

He also looked really poor in Cup matches against poor sides like Blackpool and Grimsby, which doesn’t bode well for the Championship.

Can you name anyone who played well against Blackpool & Grimsby, both games where we fielded weakened sides

Rustyball on 16:28 - Jun 30 with 609 viewsPatfromPoole

Rustyball on 15:55 - Jun 30 by SaintNick

Can you name anyone who played well against Blackpool & Grimsby, both games where we fielded weakened sides

Ward-Prowse played well against Grimsby.

Sadly he was brought on too late.

Login to get fewer ads

Rustyball on 09:10 - Jul 2 with 525 viewsSaintNick

Rustyball on 16:28 - Jun 30 by PatfromPoole

Ward-Prowse played well against Grimsby.

Sadly he was brought on too late.

JWP rarely has a bad game, he had 30 mins against Grimsby though, that should have been enough for us to get back in the game had he been surrounded by those putting in as much effort as him

Rustyball on 22:18 - Jul 2 with 468 viewsPatfromPoole

This is good Rustyball.

Not convinced we would be much better than bad Rustyball though.

Rustyball on 07:32 - Jul 3 with 426 viewsBerber

Rustyball on 08:53 - Jun 29 by PatfromPoole

The system relies on a quarterback style player who controls the tempo and who the ball often goes to.

Matt Grimes does this for Swansea; regularly touches the ball over 100 times a game.

However you need players who can pass the ball short distances between gaps to cut through the oppo. The thought of Diallo trying to do this fills me with horror, in truth.

Oh firk, another Joe Allen?
Rustyball on 12:06 - Jul 3 with 371 viewsSaintNick

Rustyball on 22:18 - Jul 2 by PatfromPoole

This is good Rustyball.

Not convinced we would be much better than bad Rustyball though.

The first thing is that we don't know who will be in our team next season so it is hard to comment.

But I would point out that playing this type of football in the Championship is a lot easier than in the Premier League, if you have ever played against an ex pro you will know that a player who you thought was a donkey, looks like Messi if he drops down a few leagues.

Players who are a second or two too slow in the Premier League suddenly can look good in the Championship.

Nathan Tella and Adam Armstrong are both examples of this.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024