Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greenwood back to Man U… 20:09 - Aug 17 with 2714 viewsSFC_Referee

Well that’s the rumour going round now, as it does very much look like Man U will have him back after the, what like a year or so now? Since that video came out and all the articles around the unnamed prem player who’d been arrested etc…

Still what do people make of this then?

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Greenwood back to Man U… on 20:35 - Aug 17 with 2647 viewssaintsfanbrock

If he does come back doubt it will be for long, smaller teams with less publicity haven’t been able to withstand the backlash so doubt Man U will.
Greenwood back to Man U… on 20:45 - Aug 17 with 2624 views1885_SFC

He's going to get sh1t from the terraces of opposition fans & will last 10 minutes... hopefully.

Old School is Cool

Greenwood back to Man U… on 21:11 - Aug 17 with 2584 viewsPatfromPoole

There will be tedious ramblings from many about how he should be given the chance to live his life and ply his trade.

Would be interested to hear Roy Keane’s honest opinion; he doesn’t strike me as the type who would accept being gagged by SKY.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Greenwood back to Man U… on 07:32 - Aug 18 with 2396 viewsJellybaby

I'm sure the pernicious trend of cancel culture will make it impossible for this young man to ever know redemption. If Rachel Riley insists that he should be socially excluded until his dying day he probably will be......

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Greenwood back to Man U… on 08:28 - Aug 18 with 2337 viewsHeisenberg

Greenwood back to Man U… on 07:32 - Aug 18 by Jellybaby

I'm sure the pernicious trend of cancel culture will make it impossible for this young man to ever know redemption. If Rachel Riley insists that he should be socially excluded until his dying day he probably will be......

Nothing to do with cancel culture but everything to do with a spoilt entitled overpaid brat with little or no respect for women. The audio tape is appalling and if he was any of our kids we would be ashamed. Man Utd need to take a choice but I suspect the sponsors will do it for them. If Greenwood is apologetic then a season out working in the community and a stern warning about his future conduct won’t do him any harm.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Greenwood back to Man U… on 10:30 - Aug 18 with 2259 viewssaint901

Greenwood back to Man U… on 08:28 - Aug 18 by Heisenberg

Nothing to do with cancel culture but everything to do with a spoilt entitled overpaid brat with little or no respect for women. The audio tape is appalling and if he was any of our kids we would be ashamed. Man Utd need to take a choice but I suspect the sponsors will do it for them. If Greenwood is apologetic then a season out working in the community and a stern warning about his future conduct won’t do him any harm.

As an alternative view.

A young man of undoubted talent, spotted and brought into an environment in which his sporting prowess was all that mattered and he was encouraged to believe that he could do no wrong. This involved ignoring his need to be shown how to behave off the pitch and as a result he never learnt to respect and value relationships beyond any immediate physical release.

Doesn't matter what job such people have. If they are flawed humans and do not want to change or at least comply with society norms, then they deserve to be excluded from those of us with more "normal" values. If they realise the extent of their error and make genuine attempts to atone, then it depends on whether you believe in second chances.

Greenwood will find his hard. Trying to do his best in front of thousands of partisan "fans" who think it entirely reasonable to hurl personal abuse at him just because he wears a different shirt. Perhaps even some fans who think that they are morally superior to him but who have not walked a mile in his shoes and so have no idea of the facts or circumstances - and don't want to.

I would hope (but do not expect) our truly disgusting tabloid press and social media instant gratification sites would allow him some space to show contrition and get on with his work. Unfortunately he will have to carry around the labels all his life and it will always be the second line in his bio until he dies.

Unless Riley knows something we do not, whilst respecting her opinion, she is just one out of hundreds of thousands of "fans".

In my view he deserves a chance to grow, learn and move on.
Greenwood back to Man U… on 11:51 - Aug 18 with 2204 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

Similar type of case .. lesser quality player .. career ruined due to being a spoilt young man who believed his own hype.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66290174
Greenwood back to Man U… on 12:15 - Aug 18 with 2166 viewssaint901

Greenwood back to Man U… on 11:51 - Aug 18 by Springhill_old_boy

Similar type of case .. lesser quality player .. career ruined due to being a spoilt young man who believed his own hype.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66290174

Agreed.

Compare this to the music industry. Lots of pretty young people in that industry and lots of predators. I'm sure that abuse of all types is a daily occurrence but that the pretty young people are intimidated by the prospect of losing all their hopes and dreams, into saying nothing.

Do we call out music artists who are responsible for low level sexual assault? Hardly ever.

Would you boycott a gig from a favourite band if one of them was found to have been inappropriate?

(I'm not talking about the horrific actions of those who prey on children here - they deserve chemical and physical castration).

Perhaps the closest instance I know of is when Kasabian forced Tom Meighan out over his admitted physical attack on his partner (who he's still with). Even Tom is now touring with a new band though and has hopefully moved on.
Login to get fewer ads

Greenwood back to Man U… on 14:20 - Aug 18 with 2088 viewssaintsfanbrock

Greenwood back to Man U… on 12:15 - Aug 18 by saint901

Agreed.

Compare this to the music industry. Lots of pretty young people in that industry and lots of predators. I'm sure that abuse of all types is a daily occurrence but that the pretty young people are intimidated by the prospect of losing all their hopes and dreams, into saying nothing.

Do we call out music artists who are responsible for low level sexual assault? Hardly ever.

Would you boycott a gig from a favourite band if one of them was found to have been inappropriate?

(I'm not talking about the horrific actions of those who prey on children here - they deserve chemical and physical castration).

Perhaps the closest instance I know of is when Kasabian forced Tom Meighan out over his admitted physical attack on his partner (who he's still with). Even Tom is now touring with a new band though and has hopefully moved on.

Sorry you are saying that it is horrific to prey on children but by implication by this line being drawn assault/abuse against an adult is not horrific?
Have you heard the audio clip?
If the answer to both is yes then truly shame on you.
Greenwood back to Man U… on 23:30 - Aug 18 with 1946 viewsJellybaby

Greenwood back to Man U… on 08:28 - Aug 18 by Heisenberg

How is this not cancel culture, when the definition is this - Cancel culture is a phrase contemporary to the late 2010s and early 2020s used to refer to a culture in which those who are deemed to have acted or spoken in an unacceptable manner are ostracized, boycotted, or shunned.

Yes, I would be ashamed of his actions if he was my son, but if there is no redemption or forgiveness after messing up, then we would all be screwed wouldn't we?

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Greenwood back to Man U… on 00:02 - Aug 19 with 1916 viewsSFC_Referee

Greenwood back to Man U… on 23:30 - Aug 18 by Jellybaby

How is this not cancel culture, when the definition is this - Cancel culture is a phrase contemporary to the late 2010s and early 2020s used to refer to a culture in which those who are deemed to have acted or spoken in an unacceptable manner are ostracized, boycotted, or shunned.

Yes, I would be ashamed of his actions if he was my son, but if there is no redemption or forgiveness after messing up, then we would all be screwed wouldn't we?

Well I don’t say this often but I completely agree with your second point there jukkybaby, as your right, mistakes are one of the major factors of what make us who we are, and we’ve all made them.
Whether it’s from a close offside call, forgetting the shipping list, not bothering with someone etc… to abusing wives, we all make mistakes in one way or another, and have all done things that certainly aren’t the sorta things to be proud of, and as much as many won’t have necessarily done certain things as bad as others, we’ve all had to learn from them. And with that we all required forgiveness, as if it wasn’t for that, then nobody would make it far in life

Greenwood back to Man U… on 10:20 - Aug 19 with 1763 viewspjt50

Greenwood back to Man U… on 00:02 - Aug 19 by SFC_Referee

Well I don’t say this often but I completely agree with your second point there jukkybaby, as your right, mistakes are one of the major factors of what make us who we are, and we’ve all made them.
Whether it’s from a close offside call, forgetting the shipping list, not bothering with someone etc… to abusing wives, we all make mistakes in one way or another, and have all done things that certainly aren’t the sorta things to be proud of, and as much as many won’t have necessarily done certain things as bad as others, we’ve all had to learn from them. And with that we all required forgiveness, as if it wasn’t for that, then nobody would make it far in life

Totally agree that we all deserve a second chance. If he went off and did an “ordinary” job he'd get loads more chances but I don't want him to be feted by the media & idolised from the terraces. It sends out all the wrong messages.

High profile jobs come with responsibilities. That's part of the deal.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Greenwood back to Man U… on 14:12 - Aug 21 with 1579 viewssaint901

Greenwood back to Man U… on 14:20 - Aug 18 by saintsfanbrock

Sorry you are saying that it is horrific to prey on children but by implication by this line being drawn assault/abuse against an adult is not horrific?
Have you heard the audio clip?
If the answer to both is yes then truly shame on you.

I think if you read what I said, you'd realise that your paraphrasing is entirely inaccurate.

Personally I have absolutely no tolerance for any form of abuse or bullying or coercive behaviours regardless of their celebrity or status in society.

My message is that society applies double standards when it comes to judging the actions of those in the public eye and those not.

A public figure called out - and found guilty - (and I think Greenwood has not been tried before a jury of his peers?) will attract the fury of fans/supporters if they try to continue a career in public.

In Greenwoods' case what I wonder is how many "fans" hurling abuse at him from the terraces have similar skeletons in their own cupboards?

And yes, the public does react more strongly to abuse of children than they do adults. Is that fair? No. Does it happen? Yes.

I suggest reading what is written rather than what you think is written.
Greenwood back to Man U… on 15:20 - Aug 21 with 1540 viewsSFC_Referee

Well forgot the rumours as it’s now just been announced that Man U have TERMINATED his contract, and that he won’t there anymore.
Just gotta wonder where he’ll be off to next? Off to Saudi for the money and less stick, or will another prem/championship team not care about the original charges and just sign him? My moneys in the Saudi’s but either way it’ll be interesting

Greenwood back to Man U… on 15:42 - Aug 21 with 1522 viewsButty101

Greenwood back to Man U… on 15:20 - Aug 21 by SFC_Referee

Well forgot the rumours as it’s now just been announced that Man U have TERMINATED his contract, and that he won’t there anymore.
Just gotta wonder where he’ll be off to next? Off to Saudi for the money and less stick, or will another prem/championship team not care about the original charges and just sign him? My moneys in the Saudi’s but either way it’ll be interesting

Good for Man United. The only reason he’s not in jail, is because the key witness had his child in July and subsequently dropped all charges . She should be done for wasting police time. I guess she realised he was her meal ticket

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Greenwood back to Man U… on 16:29 - Aug 21 with 1496 viewssaintsfanbrock

Greenwood back to Man U… on 14:12 - Aug 21 by saint901

I think if you read what I said, you'd realise that your paraphrasing is entirely inaccurate.

Personally I have absolutely no tolerance for any form of abuse or bullying or coercive behaviours regardless of their celebrity or status in society.

My message is that society applies double standards when it comes to judging the actions of those in the public eye and those not.

A public figure called out - and found guilty - (and I think Greenwood has not been tried before a jury of his peers?) will attract the fury of fans/supporters if they try to continue a career in public.

In Greenwoods' case what I wonder is how many "fans" hurling abuse at him from the terraces have similar skeletons in their own cupboards?

And yes, the public does react more strongly to abuse of children than they do adults. Is that fair? No. Does it happen? Yes.

I suggest reading what is written rather than what you think is written.

Maybe you need to read what I have written.

I asked two questions (to clarify) what you had said and your opinions on it. You didn’t directly respond to them.

I’m not sure how you see that “society applies double standards”. Pretty sure most football fans would not pay money to a person they had heard evidence of being an abuser on the street so don’t see why they shouldn’t be annoyed to give them money via tickets for a football match.

Greenwood has not been tried, however, a) having written my masters during my LLB with LLM on how many abusers get away with rape and sexual assault I don’t sadly find this surprising. B) the audio tape is out there for all to hear, and frankly this is not just a criminal matter - it is also our decision as a fan to be angry at the sport, it’s governing body and the teams that represent us as fans, so I’m not sure why you think that bracket is relevant.

Sadly as you are saying, there are probably a lot of fans who sit beside us with similar skeletons in their closets. Sadly someone like Greenwood getting away with it with no repercussions sends a message to people that they too can get away with it, hopefully today’s message goes someway to sending the opposite signal but I think the lack of criminal charges do more the other way.
Greenwood back to Man U… on 09:07 - Aug 22 with 1279 viewsPatfromPoole

Interesting that some English clubs have declared an interest in signing him.

Including at least one English club from outside the Prem…..

Would be interesting to know which clubs……

Though a move to play in Rome for Mourinho (who has no morals) or in Saudi (ditto) seem the likeliest outcomes…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Greenwood back to Man U… on 10:12 - Aug 22 with 1253 viewsChesham_Saint

Greenwood back to Man U… on 09:07 - Aug 22 by PatfromPoole

Interesting that some English clubs have declared an interest in signing him.

Including at least one English club from outside the Prem…..

Would be interesting to know which clubs……

Though a move to play in Rome for Mourinho (who has no morals) or in Saudi (ditto) seem the likeliest outcomes…..

This is a tricky one as has he actually been convicted? Although what he seemed to have done is utterly appalling.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Greenwood back to Man U… on 12:22 - Aug 22 with 1219 viewssledger

he is a horrible individual,rumours about him floated around long before this blew up,the fact that it never went to court and he wasnt convicted,well anyone with 2 brain cells would know why this unfolded in this manner
Greenwood back to Man U… on 14:07 - Aug 22 with 1182 viewsmushinexile

With women being entitled, untouchable and incapable of being wrong, the poor sod and the rest of us have no chance. Is this the same board that cane out in favour of the odious Farage two weeks ago? I don't give a square fxxk if he celebrates scoring by biting the head off a live kitten. He can score goals. Hire him now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024