Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker 08:11 - Aug 25 with 3858 viewsMattFinish

So we’ve lost out on Piroe to Leeds which for sure is a disappointment and Che could still leave, not that in my opinion Che is good enough

The one position we have desperately needed to fill since Pelle left is still missing. Okay we had one good season out of Ings in that time but it is glaringly clear that we need a top notch striker if we’re to get promotion

Yes Che has scored 3 crucial goals this season but they weren’t difficult chances and luckily for him he was offside with the shocking open goal header miss against Plymouth that could have cost us points

I can’t believe the owners still haven’t addressed this position in 3 transfer windows

Let’s hope they have something up their sleeve
Striker on 09:24 - Aug 25 with 2984 viewssaint22

It also appears a swap deal for tall Paul has gone awry
Why do we find it so hard to get a Goal scorer
I can only assume it’s down to unwillingness to pay money
Striker on 09:40 - Aug 25 with 2963 viewsMattFinish

Striker on 09:24 - Aug 25 by saint22

Yeah but apparently Piroe cost Leeds £10m
I’d have done a straight swap for Che
Striker on 09:40 - Aug 25 with 2963 viewsSaintNick

Only Southampton supporters could bemoan not signing a striker who has scored 0 goals in 3 games and then slag off a man who has actually scored 3 goals in the 3 games he has played.

You could make a case for Che Adams not being a Premier League striker, but his record in the Championship is better than Piroe's and to describe all as not being difficult chances is unfair on his first two.

But then again Saints supporters made a hero of Armando Broja over Che Adams and Broja got 1 less goal than Adams 7 scored, in 2 more games.

Perhaps we would have been happy to let Adams go if we had signed Piroe given the contract situation, but in terms of ability it seems that Adams is rated higher than Piroe in terms of transfer fee, Adams is around £15 million and Piroe just £10 million to Leeds.

You say top notch striker if we are to achieve promotion, Adams is a top notch Championship striker as proved with his time at Birmingham and the start to this season and yes so is Piroe.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Striker on 09:46 - Aug 25 with 2943 viewsSFC_Referee

Striker on 09:24 - Aug 25 by saint22

As much as I agree that money would very much help anyone’s goals to get in a top quality striker, it’s practically the same for any position which is exactly why all the mega bucks teams have got theirs, whilst most of the rest of us don’t.
But it’s not exactly that easy to get in one, otherwise wouldn’t all 20 prem teams have one? And as we both know, not all the teams do, as there’s so many factors affecting it, and unfortunately over the last 3 years all those factors have meant that we’ve not managed to get in the striker we’ve needed whilst in the prem.
Although it’s not necessarily the worst thing this season, as it’s why we’ll probably be keeping hold of our two main men (Adams and A.Armstrong) for the season by the looks of things, who’ve both shown they can do it in the championship and are currently sitting in top spot for the golden boot.

As I think we do need to very much improve more at the back and in midfield before we start getting all picky up front, even more so with how Dom Ballard looks to be doing with the reserves
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 9:48]

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Striker on 09:55 - Aug 25 with 2907 views1885_SFC

It's simple maths really.

Che Adams scored a bucket load of goals in the Championship - which is why we bought him. Okay, he didn't quite make the step up to be a prolific PL striker - but now he's back in the Championship, he's got 3 in 3.

He's a very good striker at this level - which is what we need. I'd be doing all we can to keep him here.

Old School is Cool

Striker on 10:00 - Aug 25 with 2902 viewsWints76

There is still the possibility that we were never in for Piroe. Agents push a lot of this stuff out
Striker on 10:03 - Aug 25 with 2891 views1885_SFC

Striker on 10:00 - Aug 25 by Wints76

There is still the possibility that we were never in for Piroe. Agents push a lot of this stuff out

Be interesting to hear what the gaffer says about Piroe in his weekend TV and radio interviews - whether we tried or even wanted him here. He's bound to be asked.

Old School is Cool

Striker on 10:13 - Aug 25 with 2879 viewsinthebox

If we can keep Tella , Adams , A Armstrong, we will get goals this season. Its preventing unnecessary slip ups at the back that going to cost us which is why there is all this activity at the back with interest in Wright and Holgate.
Login to get fewer ads

Striker on 10:15 - Aug 25 with 2874 viewssaint22

Striker on 10:13 - Aug 25 by inthebox

If we can keep Tella , Adams , A Armstrong, we will get goals this season. Its preventing unnecessary slip ups at the back that going to cost us which is why there is all this activity at the back with interest in Wright and Holgate.

Its all a big IF tho isn't it

And if Che is what we need then lets keep him but does he want to stay?

For late august its all too indecisive we should have had all this ironed out weeks ago
Striker on 19:59 - Aug 25 with 2675 viewsMattFinish

Striker on 09:40 - Aug 25 by SaintNick

Only Southampton supporters could bemoan not signing a striker who has scored 0 goals in 3 games and then slag off a man who has actually scored 3 goals in the 3 games he has played.

You could make a case for Che Adams not being a Premier League striker, but his record in the Championship is better than Piroe's and to describe all as not being difficult chances is unfair on his first two.

But then again Saints supporters made a hero of Armando Broja over Che Adams and Broja got 1 less goal than Adams 7 scored, in 2 more games.

Perhaps we would have been happy to let Adams go if we had signed Piroe given the contract situation, but in terms of ability it seems that Adams is rated higher than Piroe in terms of transfer fee, Adams is around £15 million and Piroe just £10 million to Leeds.

You say top notch striker if we are to achieve promotion, Adams is a top notch Championship striker as proved with his time at Birmingham and the start to this season and yes so is Piroe.

Nick I don't think you can compare Piroe and Che based on the first three games of the season when Che is playing for a team in the favourites for promotion and Piroe is in a team likely to be in a relegation fight. That's like saying Che is better than Harry Kane this season because he’s scored in every game.

I don't think Che is proven at this level either based on his Birmingham record where he scored 34 goals in 116 games over three seasons. Plus his record certainly is not better than Piroe who scored 41 goals in 91 games over two seasons for struggling Swansea.

I certainly was never someone who made a hero of Broja. I was critical of the ownership then for not replacing Ings with equal or better.

You say Che is a proven striker at this level. I agree to the extent that he's proven that he's been consistently not very good at all levels apart from one season at Birmingham.

He had 3 seasons at Sheffield Utd scoring 1 goals in 11 games in his first season then 11 in 36 and 0 in 1 all in L1. He then went to Birmingham and scored 7 goals in 40, then 5 in 30 followed by 22 in 46 all in the Championship.

He then came to Saints and scored 4 in 30, 9 in 36, 7 in 30 and 5 in 28 last season

So over 9 seasons he's proven that he is miles away from being a top notch striker at any level.
Striker on 20:28 - Aug 25 with 2640 viewsNYC_Saint

Speaking of Broja, is he injured or has he fallen down the pecking order with Chelsea's new owners seemingly not interested in anyone they haven't spent at least 50 mn on? Doubt he'd be willing to play championship football but I'd love to see him at saints again
Striker on 20:41 - Aug 25 with 2624 viewsSouthamptonfan

Striker on 20:28 - Aug 25 by NYC_Saint

Speaking of Broja, is he injured or has he fallen down the pecking order with Chelsea's new owners seemingly not interested in anyone they haven't spent at least 50 mn on? Doubt he'd be willing to play championship football but I'd love to see him at saints again

He's just rotting in their reserves. Another player who would rather earn loads and play for a PL club, rather than play for a lesser club and play every week.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 20:42]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Striker on 20:48 - Aug 25 with 2612 viewsButty101

Striker on 19:59 - Aug 25 by MattFinish

Nick I don't think you can compare Piroe and Che based on the first three games of the season when Che is playing for a team in the favourites for promotion and Piroe is in a team likely to be in a relegation fight. That's like saying Che is better than Harry Kane this season because he’s scored in every game.

I don't think Che is proven at this level either based on his Birmingham record where he scored 34 goals in 116 games over three seasons. Plus his record certainly is not better than Piroe who scored 41 goals in 91 games over two seasons for struggling Swansea.

I certainly was never someone who made a hero of Broja. I was critical of the ownership then for not replacing Ings with equal or better.

You say Che is a proven striker at this level. I agree to the extent that he's proven that he's been consistently not very good at all levels apart from one season at Birmingham.

He had 3 seasons at Sheffield Utd scoring 1 goals in 11 games in his first season then 11 in 36 and 0 in 1 all in L1. He then went to Birmingham and scored 7 goals in 40, then 5 in 30 followed by 22 in 46 all in the Championship.

He then came to Saints and scored 4 in 30, 9 in 36, 7 in 30 and 5 in 28 last season

So over 9 seasons he's proven that he is miles away from being a top notch striker at any level.

Don’t hit Nick with sensible thought out arguments ffs

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Striker on 12:08 - Aug 26 with 2418 viewsMattFinish

I can see us losing Che and making a last minute panic buy

Why not give Tall Paul a run of starts and actually play the ball to him in the box. He's still a completely unknown quantity
Striker on 13:49 - Aug 26 with 2336 viewsUlsterBaz

Che not in the squad today.
Striker on 15:32 - Aug 26 with 2279 viewsRon11

Striker on 10:13 - Aug 25 by inthebox

Tella and Adams now gone, and now Piroe puts Leeds 3-1 up at Ipswich.
Striker on 15:36 - Aug 26 with 2270 viewscocklebreath

Striker on 15:32 - Aug 26 by Ron11

Tella and Adams now gone, and now Piroe puts Leeds 3-1 up at Ipswich.

AndEdozie makes it 1-0, sitting by my pool in Turkey loving life, too many rum and cokes but it’s all good 😇😇

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Striker on 15:37 - Aug 26 with 2265 viewscocklebreath

Bollox

Striker on 15:40 - Aug 26 with 2259 viewscocklebreath

I’ve never been smug and above is the reason why

Striker on 15:41 - Aug 26 with 2256 viewsUlsterBaz

Striker on 15:36 - Aug 26 by cocklebreath

AndEdozie makes it 1-0, sitting by my pool in Turkey loving life, too many rum and cokes but it’s all good 😇😇

I’m by the pool in Tenerife. 🍻🏝️☀️ I’ve no video or audio stream of the game though. Are we playing well?
Striker on 15:44 - Aug 26 with 2244 viewscocklebreath

Striker on 15:41 - Aug 26 by UlsterBaz

I’m by the pool in Tenerife. 🍻🏝️☀️ I’ve no video or audio stream of the game though. Are we playing well?

No idea mate I’m following the thread from saints web, sounds like QPR have found there feet

Striker on 15:48 - Aug 26 with 2228 viewscocklebreath

Sounds like QPR are having all the chances, regroup and sort it out

Striker on 15:55 - Aug 26 with 2202 views10i

We've been the better side by far till we got that goal. After that we Fell a bit apart, but I can't figure out what really happened then. QPR had another big Chance for the lead with a top save from Bazunu and a goal rightly disallowed from the rebound.
When QPR finally decide to attack, which they only starte after going down, they are the more dangerous side. I hope they will become more and more tired from all that running without the Ball...
Striker on 16:16 - Aug 26 with 2157 viewscocklebreath

Rums wearing off and my mood is on the way down.

Striker on 16:35 - Aug 26 with 2123 views10i

After a very poor Start to the half Fraser brought us back alive and AA scores with a great finish...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024