Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday's game 09:02 - Sep 3 with 2006 viewsA1079

Like many I stood in the top tier and could not believe what I was seeing in front of me. Why I was not surprised I am not sure because this has been the story for a few seasons now. Strange selections, players who have not been great still getting picked and an inability to change strategy or tactics when the opposition demands it.

Sunderland were everything we weren't:-
- strong in defence
- clinical in attack
- fought for and won most balls and contests in midfield
- completely outfought and out-thought Saints from start to finish

Not one single Saints player from start to finish came out with any good marks yesterday. The nearest to that exception was KWP who never gave up when all around him seemed to. Matt Le Tissier sat just 4 rows below me seemingly gave up after the 4th goal probably to see if there had been a conspiracy or was this a case that Saints conspired to their own downfall?

I am not sure where you start:-
- Bazunu just isn't a reliable keeper though oddly he made a couple of good saves that otherwise would have made the score even worse - but his errors outweigh the odd good moment;
- defence - what defence? Holgate had an awful debut when I had hoped he would bring much needed experience and some leadership and some steadiness - he may yet do, but it wasn't a good start - Manning just went missing at so many key times;
- midfield - what midfield? There was huge gaping holes some so huge you could have driven one of the many tankers sat out in the North Sea through it;
- attack - nothing to say - it barely existed - Mara - I am sorry but he is a liability at the moment and needs some serious coaching before he is selected as a first choice.

Even accepting that at half time the game was up, I did hope that the 2nd half would see a spirited performance and some signs of a come back - not to be - the subs added nothing and Che Adams looked completely fed up - may be because he could not get the move he wanted but equally would you be pleased to be brought on when the team is 4-0 down and not many minutes left - what did they hope he would or could do?

Martin got the selection wrong - why was Shea Charles dropped when he had been playing well? Why was Mara selected when his previous games did not suggest he should be?

Many said, it was a bad day at the office - we have had a lot of bad days at the office over recent seasons. Yes, it was one game and until yesterday we had not lost and we have been entertaining - but never convincing - not against QPR, Norwich, Plymouth and then there was the defeat against Gillingham - but we had not lost and it probably masked the deficiencies.

I did not go to the game yesterday expecting a win - but I did expect a contest and we never did. Of course not all is lost. It is one game and we have a break where hopefully Martin can sort some issues out otherwise that game on a Friday evening against Leicester could bring back some nasty memories.

Saints fans - the majority stayed until the 5th goal and were quite supportive despite the humiliation unfolding in front of us. Well done to the fans that went and stuck with it. We will stick with it and I am sure there are better days ahead.

One bright thing about the day - after the game I went to Saltburn by the Sea and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon.
Yesterday's game on 09:06 - Sep 3 with 1980 viewsPatfromPoole

It was my first time of watching Flynn Downes, and I actually thought he played well and was far above anybody else on our side.

It could easily have been another 9-0 when you consider their missed chances.

Still, at least we had 68% possession. A big ✅ there……

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Yesterday's game on 09:12 - Sep 3 with 1958 viewsbarry_sanchez

When Everton bought Holgate they thought they were getting another Stones, couldn't be further from the truth and from what I've heard his attitude stinks and he genuinely thinks he's far better than he is, Everton fans were made up he left, no one I have spoke is anyway unhappy he's gone. That doesn't fill me with confidence, we've a number of centre back bellends over the years who think they're far better than they actually are.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Yesterday's game on 09:17 - Sep 3 with 1928 viewsPatfromPoole

Yesterday's game on 09:12 - Sep 3 by barry_sanchez

When Everton bought Holgate they thought they were getting another Stones, couldn't be further from the truth and from what I've heard his attitude stinks and he genuinely thinks he's far better than he is, Everton fans were made up he left, no one I have spoke is anyway unhappy he's gone. That doesn't fill me with confidence, we've a number of centre back bellends over the years who think they're far better than they actually are.

£72,000 a week.

I bloody hope Everton are still paying at least half of that…..

Yesterday's game on 09:24 - Sep 3 with 1907 viewsA1079

Yesterday's game on 09:06 - Sep 3 by PatfromPoole

It was my first time of watching Flynn Downes, and I actually thought he played well and was far above anybody else on our side.

It could easily have been another 9-0 when you consider their missed chances.

Still, at least we had 68% possession. A big ✅ there……

I didn't think he was at the same level as he was against QPR but he wasn't the worst.

Your mention of 68% possession. As I left the stadium surrounded by Sunderland fans and you listen to what many are saying and many were saying that Saints had alot of possession but did nothing with it - hard to disagree really. When you are 3-0 down and you are playing tippy tappy football in your own box and putting yourself under pressure against a side pressing you, it was criminal/suicidal.
Yesterday's game on 10:26 - Sep 3 with 1801 viewsmushinexile

I would trade 68% for 32 and five goals . Possession football simply doesn't work.
Yesterday's game on 11:01 - Sep 3 with 1735 viewssaintwizzler

We had 2 shots on target.
And which two players had those shots on target?

Manning and Holgate.

What an absolute shitshow.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Yesterday's game on 11:35 - Sep 3 with 1675 viewsdirk_doone

Yesterday's game on 09:17 - Sep 3 by PatfromPoole

£72,000 a week.

I bloody hope Everton are still paying at least half of that…..

Does that mean he now rivals Alex McCarthy as our top earner?

The addition of Holgate and Manning in this transfer window has made an already weak defence even weaker.

Sports Republic certainly know how to waste money.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Yesterday's game on 11:48 - Sep 3 with 1634 viewsPatfromPoole

Yesterday's game on 11:35 - Sep 3 by dirk_doone

Does that mean he now rivals Alex McCarthy as our top earner?

The addition of Holgate and Manning in this transfer window has made an already weak defence even weaker.

Sports Republic certainly know how to waste money.

I guess he probably does, aye.

And yet loads of good people at the Club were made redundant recently.

Scandalous stuff.

Login to get fewer ads

Yesterday's game on 13:40 - Sep 3 with 1436 viewssledger

lets run through yesterdays characters starting at the top.
russel martin:unbelievable team selection,will not adapt its my way or nothing,his previous teams concede for fun we are following suit,we have zero chance of promotion if we carry on like this.
Bazuna:poor positionally,doesnt talk,saves the worldies,doesnt make bread and butter saves but hey hes good with his feet
KWP:always been poor defensively,nothings changed.
Bednerak:cant do it on his own.
Holgate:everton fans say he is sh+t,looked iffy,juries out.
Manning:the worst left back defensively i have ever seen,did we actually let perraud go in favour of this guy.
Smallbone:lightweight disinterested but hey got my new contract.
Stuart armstrong:decent in patches,just not enough of them.
Edozie:flatters to decieve you,lightweight found out at the moment.
Downes:probably wishes he had stayed at whu,be ok in a proper set up.
Mara:shouldnt be anywhere near a first team at any club.
Adam Armstrong:looked a revelation in his new midfield role last week,so why change it.
I truly fear for us under this manager,why couldnt we just go for a good steady pair of hands rather than all this think outside the box rubbish,football is an easy game,you try not to concede goals and score more than the enemy,dont concede you only need one,there solved it.
My teamfor next game would be a goalkeeper(draw lots),full backs kwp,stephens or bree,centre backs harwood bellis,bednarak,holding midfield downes,charles,midfield adam armstrong,alcaraz,fraser with adams up top.
Yesterday's game on 13:48 - Sep 3 with 1416 viewsPatfromPoole

Yesterday's game on 13:40 - Sep 3 by sledger

russel martin:unbelievable team selection,will not adapt its my way or nothing,his previous teams concede for fun we are following suit,we have zero chance of promotion if we carry on like this.
Bazuna:poor positionally,doesnt talk,saves the worldies,doesnt make bread and butter saves but hey hes good with his feet
Manning:the worst left back defensively i have ever seen,did we actually let perraud go in favour of this guy.
Adam Armstrong:looked a revelation in his new midfield role last week,so why change it.
I truly fear for us under this manager,why couldnt we just go for a good steady pair of hands rather than all this think outside the box rubbish,football is an easy game,you try not to concede goals and score more than the enemy,dont concede you only need one,there solved it.
My teamfor next game would be a goalkeeper(draw lots),full backs kwp,stephens or bree,centre backs harwood bellis,bednarak,holding midfield downes,charles,midfield adam armstrong,alcaraz,fraser with adams up top.

Super Jack is out for 7 or 8 games, I think….

Yesterday's game on 15:52 - Sep 3 with 1269 viewssaint22

Yesterday's game on 13:40 - Sep 3 by sledger

Can’t argue with any of that

We have yet another egomaniac in charge who will pick a different team each week full of his faves

No keeper worth picking and a porous defence, shoddy AF

Has Russell actually apologised?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024