Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see 18:46 - Sep 3 with 1615 viewsUTS1885

Last season we conceded and eye shattering 73 goals which rightly led to relegation. Before that we had 67 and 68 in Hasenhuttl seasons. A Saints fan at the solent forum got lambasted for suggesting Bazunu was too much of a rookie and got turned over online. Yet what he stated along with solid spine was spot on. It was the prime area that needed serious change this summer. I just hope Martin and his assistants can get this defensive mess under control. Its not just about sunderland, 12 goals conceded in just five games is woeful.

Some pointers and ok with better players but Poch 46 gc in his full season, Koeman got down to 33 and 41 ffs
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 18:51]
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 19:22 - Sep 3 with 1548 viewssaintwizzler

Russell Martin’s style of football will always concede goals, but from our corner pushing so many forward in THE FIRST MINUTE is just stupidity.
Throw in tippy tappy in our own half at 3-0 down.
2 shots on target.
2 shots on target by the Left Back and one of the Centre Backs.

Preston are top of the league by only conceding 3 goals in 5 games.

Christ, it really isn’t rocket science.

In Sports Republic reign it has always been doing things ‘clever’.

We are not Manchester City.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 20:09 - Sep 3 with 1493 viewsPatfromPoole

I didn’t like Russell Martin’s comments at that Fans Forum at all.

The Saints fan made an entirely valid point about the whole spine of the team being weak.

Martin latched on to it with what seemed a very pre-prepared response, wholly about Bazunu.

He tried to claim there was some narrative against Bazunu.

He was wrong.

There was a narrative against Bazunu and McCarthy.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:06 - Sep 3 with 1416 viewsdirk_doone

Swansea City 1 August 2021 21 June 2023 36 27 36 139 143 −4
Southampton 21 June 2023 Present 3 1 2 11 15 −4

With Russell Martin you get a mid-table team that both scores and concedes a lot of goals. Perhaps that's what the owners wanted.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:29 - Sep 3 with 1389 viewssledger

conceding goals wont stop until the manager sets us up properly,history tells us martin will never change his ways
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:46 - Sep 3 with 1345 viewsdirk_doone

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:29 - Sep 3 by sledger

conceding goals wont stop until the manager sets us up properly,history tells us martin will never change his ways

It's like that Aristotle saying: "Show me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man."

Show me Russell Martin at MK Dons and Swansea and I'll show you Russell Martin at Southampton.

Rasmus Ankersen has a completely different point of view though. He's said he likes to appoint managers who've failed in the past because they've learned from their mistakes.

"Why football clubs should embrace failure". This explains it all:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/rasmus-ankersen-why-football-clubs-should-e
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 21:53]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:48 - Sep 3 with 1333 viewssledger

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:46 - Sep 3 by dirk_doone

It's like that Aristotle saying: "Show me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man."

Show me Russell Martin at MK Dons and Swansea and I'll show you Russell Martin at Southampton.

Rasmus Ankersen has a completely different point of view though. He's said he likes to appoint managers who've failed in the past because they've learned from their mistakes.

"Why football clubs should embrace failure". This explains it all:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/rasmus-ankersen-why-football-clubs-should-e
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 21:53]

we are the champions at embracing failure
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:51 - Sep 3 with 1323 viewsgrumpy

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:48 - Sep 3 by sledger

we are the champions at embracing failure

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 22:01 - Sep 3 with 1300 viewssaint22

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 19:22 - Sep 3 by saintwizzler

Russell Martin’s style of football will always concede goals, but from our corner pushing so many forward in THE FIRST MINUTE is just stupidity.
Throw in tippy tappy in our own half at 3-0 down.
2 shots on target.
2 shots on target by the Left Back and one of the Centre Backs.

Preston are top of the league by only conceding 3 goals in 5 games.

Christ, it really isn’t rocket science.

In Sports Republic reign it has always been doing things ‘clever’.

We are not Manchester City.

Exactly this
How may times has it been said season upon season
You need a solid back four, reliable keeper and clean sheets otherwise it is always going to be difficult
We haven’t had that in years
Managers who see tippy tapped high press attacking football as the be all and end all and to hell with defending

Wasn’t Martin a defender too?? You would think he would know
Login to get fewer ads

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 09:32 - Sep 5 with 1122 viewsGRIM

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 21:51 - Sep 3 by grumpy

The incentive in modern football is to fail.
Both highly paid Managers & Players are given ridiculous contracts which guarantees their salary for the period of their contract even if they prove to be useless & fail miserably.
Chelsea are giving new players 8 year contracts, just crazy.
In what other occupation would you be guaranteed a salary for 8 yrs, you're lucky if you get 3 months.
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 10:06 - Sep 5 with 1104 viewsSonicBoom

I said this on the other thread but I stand by it. If you have the most possession in the league but you've conceded the most goals that is very worrying.
Obviously you can pick stats to "prove" anything but that is still alarming.
People more tactically astute than me might be able to explain to I guess one theory is that we play too high, so when we lose the ball we are exposed to the counter.
Another might be that our build up is too slow. We keep the ball without end product and there's not a team in the world that can keep the ball forever so with each pass it becomes more likely one will go astray. We lose the ball and we are in trouble again. Maybe a more direct style where we try to get a shot off earlier would help.
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 10:19 - Sep 5 with 1093 viewssledger

Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 10:06 - Sep 5 by SonicBoom

I said this on the other thread but I stand by it. If you have the most possession in the league but you've conceded the most goals that is very worrying.
Obviously you can pick stats to "prove" anything but that is still alarming.
People more tactically astute than me might be able to explain to I guess one theory is that we play too high, so when we lose the ball we are exposed to the counter.
Another might be that our build up is too slow. We keep the ball without end product and there's not a team in the world that can keep the ball forever so with each pass it becomes more likely one will go astray. We lose the ball and we are in trouble again. Maybe a more direct style where we try to get a shot off earlier would help.

to play this way you need ultra fast defenders that can recover the area behind them,we have donkeys pace wise plus a keeper that provides little help,im worried going forward.
Goals conceded - The evidence hs been there for alll to see on 12:53 - Sep 5 with 1059 viewsCenturion

"As a goalkeeper you need to be good at organising the people in front of you and motivating them. You need to see what's going on and react to the threats. Just like a good manager in business." ~ Peter Shilton
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024