Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dorking pitch 15:10 - Sep 23 with 14845 viewsjoecooke

Just watching the game now and Dorkings pitch is bad.3G-4G has to be an advantage if you play on it so regularly.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Dorking pitch on 19:40 - Sep 23 with 3146 viewsEllDale

MK Dons in 2007?
And a game against someone like Cambridge on a Tuesday night around 2002?
Dorking pitch on 19:41 - Sep 23 with 3143 viewssince58

Dorking pitch on 18:34 - Sep 23 by richfoad32

Exactly. I'd hazard he knows more about football than some of the 'experts' on here.

Really.
Dorking pitch on 19:47 - Sep 23 with 3068 viewsblackdogblue

Big respect to Dorkingdale who I presume is behind this.. 👏

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Dorking pitch on 19:52 - Sep 23 with 3043 viewsD_Alien

Dorking pitch on 19:40 - Sep 23 by EllDale

MK Dons in 2007?
And a game against someone like Cambridge on a Tuesday night around 2002?

Surely the Doncaster game about 5 years ago when we were 0-1 down going into added time. Steve Davies grabbed the winner and think it might've been Mark Kitching who scored first with a longish range effort

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dorking pitch on 19:53 - Sep 23 with 3039 viewsEllDale

Good shout!
I’m sure there was a thread on here once with a lot of examples of late winners.

[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 19:55]
Dorking pitch on 20:16 - Sep 23 with 2929 viewsforeverhopefulDale

We seem to be performing for the whole of the game, up to 95 plus minutes, compared to plenty of times in the last few seasons when we only lasted about 80 mins and conceded lots of late goals and points. I don't know the real facts behind this observation, however I am convinced that we are lasting games much better, whether down to having fitter players, better training or a combination of both I don't know.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Dorking pitch on 20:37 - Sep 23 with 2839 views_Windydale

Dorking pitch on 20:16 - Sep 23 by foreverhopefulDale

We seem to be performing for the whole of the game, up to 95 plus minutes, compared to plenty of times in the last few seasons when we only lasted about 80 mins and conceded lots of late goals and points. I don't know the real facts behind this observation, however I am convinced that we are lasting games much better, whether down to having fitter players, better training or a combination of both I don't know.

loads of factors...big ones i think are team spirit and confidence playing in a lower league.
Dorking pitch on 20:54 - Sep 23 with 2748 viewsrich_dale

Really encouraging though, I was thinking the two long journeys in a week might tire us, particularly towards the end. But yes we have confidence that we know we generally have more quality than the opposition, which makes a difference, added to a big desire to win. Noticeable that after a last minute equaliser away from home we just ran back rather than celebrate and put the ball on the centre spot. And that was before the sending off.
Login to get fewer ads

Dorking pitch on 20:55 - Sep 23 with 2742 viewspnc4eva1

I was about to comment about the fitness levels of the team seem to be improving

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Dorking pitch on 20:56 - Sep 23 with 2733 viewsrich_dale

MK in 2007 felt like the most exhilarating, both goals in stoppage time.
Dorking pitch on 21:01 - Sep 23 with 2688 views49thseason

I have wondered if we are pacing ourselves a bit in the first half knowing that there is now often 10 minutes of extra time in the second half. whilst our opponents are doing more running than usual as we keep moving the ball and forcing them to be constantly on the move?
You have to expect 100 - 105 minutes of game time these days and those extra minutes are telling if you have been doing all the running. if your passing is tight and you are finding your own players, especially with two wide men, the opponents don't have much option but to keep moving and I bet not many are set up to cope with that sort of pressure.
Dorking pitch on 21:03 - Sep 23 with 2679 viewspnc4eva1

Dorking pitch on 19:41 - Sep 23 by since58

Really.

Yes

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Dorking pitch - Never say Die on 23:26 - Sep 23 with 2380 views_Windydale

'Never say Die'
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 23:59]
Dorking pitch on 00:17 - Sep 24 with 2289 viewsSandyman

Dorking pitch on 19:52 - Sep 23 by D_Alien

Surely the Doncaster game about 5 years ago when we were 0-1 down going into added time. Steve Davies grabbed the winner and think it might've been Mark Kitching who scored first with a longish range effort

Oh yes. Classic example of a Darren Ferguson team going one up and spending the rest of the game timewasting, as they do. All of them. Only for him to moan about the amount of time added when his solitary plan backfires. Heh.
Dorking pitch on 01:10 - Sep 24 with 2227 viewsTVOS1907

Dorking pitch on 19:52 - Sep 23 by D_Alien

Correct, that was the previous time we had scored twice so late to overturn a deficit to win the game before today.

Our last win with two injury time goals was against Oldham in the Checkatrade Trophy in December 2018, although on that occasion the score was 0-0 going into "TIME ALLOWED".

We also picked-up a 2-2 draw at Chesterfield in January 2014 with two injury time goals after being 2-0 down.

And, as already mentioned, before all those games came the famous 3-2 win over MK Dons in September 2007 and the 4-3 v Cambridge in September 2002, a match in which Dale trailed 3-1 with an hour played.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dorking pitch on 02:25 - Sep 24 with 2205 viewsSandyman

The MK Dons game, from your archives, TVOS. I remember well the linesman in front of the MK fans was obsessive about denying Dale attacks as offside 2nd half, with no element of reason in his decisions. When our 2nd went in (which, as with other attacks, was onside) I was stunned he allowed it. A truly terrible liner. Never mind, we won

Dorking pitch on 05:44 - Sep 24 with 2146 viewsTalkingSutty

You can't read very much into pre-season friendlies but first game at Radcliffe I thought it was already very evident that the fitness levels had gone up a notch, that's a major improvement. The move to Platt Lane must also have helped hugely...actually training on full size pitches, something that wasn't available at the cricket club i believe. How would we have practiced the long ball from the goalkeeper up to Sinclair had we not moved to Platt Lane? That particular tactic has worked a treat all season and is just one example.
Dorking pitch on 09:42 - Sep 24 with 1863 viewsDalenet

Dorking pitch on 02:25 - Sep 24 by Sandyman

The MK Dons game, from your archives, TVOS. I remember well the linesman in front of the MK fans was obsessive about denying Dale attacks as offside 2nd half, with no element of reason in his decisions. When our 2nd went in (which, as with other attacks, was onside) I was stunned he allowed it. A truly terrible liner. Never mind, we won

One of our best come backs ever. Paul Ince was their manager I think and he was apoplectic. Our fans were very noisy that day and pushed for the winner
Dorking pitch on 10:03 - Sep 24 with 1810 viewsEllDale

For those of us of a certain vintage does anyone else remember a home game against Reading in 1970 (I think).
Dale were losing 2-0 but came back to win 3-2 with the winner coming late on from Derek Ryder of all people.
Dorking pitch on 11:29 - Sep 24 with 1624 viewsdawlishdale

Dorking pitch on 10:03 - Sep 24 by EllDale

For those of us of a certain vintage does anyone else remember a home game against Reading in 1970 (I think).
Dale were losing 2-0 but came back to win 3-2 with the winner coming late on from Derek Ryder of all people.

Yes. I was there. Probably my first full season . We seemed to play no fear football then, but probably my mind playing tricks.
Dorking pitch on 11:38 - Sep 24 with 1589 viewsfitzochris

We looked the slicker passing team in the first-half, but Dorking pressed hard and, in the main, well enough to force us into finding a pivot rather than a forward pass. When we did get through their lines, it came apart in the final third. It felt like it was going to be one of those games where we either totally opened them up second half, or conceded from a lapse in concentration.

Second half, our hosts kept at their task and took advantage of some paper-thin defending to take the lead.

One thing on Mitchell, and I don’t know if seeing in person makes it more obvious, but I thought he did tremendously well to hold the ball up on that pitch and invite runners either side of him. Yes, he should have equalised but he actually did alright in general. The pitch was shocking. The black rubber spraying everywhere was ridiculous and even potentially dangerous.

Anyway, we toiled for most of the second half and seemed bereft of ideas in the final third. It was as if we were afraid to have a shot from open play (Clayton’s direct free-kick produced a good save from “Harrisoooon”, for example, and showed we could test them from range).

It was frustrating when put in plain terms, as we were the full-time outfit and we were being outmanoeuvred on the chessboard by a part-time operator.

Still, the best thing about football is that it transcends all that nonsense above and can exist solely in the emotive. By sticking to their task, despite the growing unease, our players grabbed two late, decisive goals, sending the fans home delirious. That’s all that will ultimately be remembered of ‘Dorking Away’ and all that will subsequently matter.

On that note, the euphoria of the win reminds you what a good job Jim McNulty has done. He’s stopped the rot and toxicity of last season with a basement budget. Don’t forget, unless anyone wants to give us a player for free, this is the squad we have to take us through to the season’s end.

Suspensions and injuries are going to force things to a head at some point and frustration will grow from us supporters. It won’t be fair if McNulty takes the brunt of that.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Dorking pitch on 11:52 - Sep 24 with 1544 viewsTVOS1907

The winner was in the 64th minute, so Reading still had almost half-an-hour to find a leveller.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dorking pitch on 12:46 - Sep 24 with 1405 viewsD_Alien

I recall Ryder scoring at the Sandy Lane end, think the only time he scored for us and it was a real surprise since he rarely ventured that far upfield. Don't recall it being seen as a turnover type game, but could be wrong

Edit: just read TVOS comment
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 12:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dorking pitch on 13:48 - Sep 24 with 1304 viewsBluebottle

Interesting to hear Marc White refers to an aftermatch conversation with Jimmy MC as to how slow their pitch is and the advantages it gives them.
As Chris Fitz pointed out, considering the state of the pitch we handled it fairly well.
Marc White has quite vocally as is his way ,criticized his and other artificial pitches recently. Attributing the number of serious injuries he believes they have caused in his squad.
I seriously think if we hadn't had the artificial pitches to train on at Platt Lane this season we wouldn't have got a couple of results we have on our travels, and also we have possibly avoided a number of injuries had we not been used to such surfaces.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 13:51]
Dorking pitch on 13:49 - Sep 24 with 1295 viewspioneer

Dorking pitch on 12:46 - Sep 24 by D_Alien

I recall Ryder scoring at the Sandy Lane end, think the only time he scored for us and it was a real surprise since he rarely ventured that far upfield. Don't recall it being seen as a turnover type game, but could be wrong

Edit: just read TVOS comment
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 12:49]

Yes it was part of that long winning run (10 games?) that took us to the top of the table. Went 2-0 down and then turned on the tap. Dont remember the other goals but the Ryder winner sticks in the memory vividly

How the Sandy Lane rocked in those far off days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024