Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jan Bednarek 09:17 - Oct 27 with 2240 viewsstmichael

Player of the season so far along with KWP.
Brilliant attitude and a transformed character.
To be honest it started as soon as he returned.
Battled through the stick and who can forget him on the bench at Arsenal after he went off injured giving impassioned advice encouragement and tactical information to the team as we battled to hold on for a win.
Won me over completely and is the 'real' captain out there.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Jan Bednarek on 09:40 - Oct 27 with 2205 viewsPatfromPoole

Well, it’s a slant; I’ll give you that.

You are aware of our goals conceded figure?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Jan Bednarek on 10:08 - Oct 27 with 2189 viewsstmichael

Yes but it would be a lot more if it weren’t for him.
Stephen’s injury started the goal glut but now Harwood-Ellis has settled in he and Jan are looking solid.
We also have 2 full backs who don’t defend well and a goal keeper who has problems with anything on target 😩…

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Jan Bednarek on 10:12 - Oct 27 with 2183 viewsPatfromPoole

Jan Bednarek on 10:08 - Oct 27 by stmichael

Yes but it would be a lot more if it weren’t for him.
Stephen’s injury started the goal glut but now Harwood-Ellis has settled in he and Jan are looking solid.
We also have 2 full backs who don’t defend well and a goal keeper who has problems with anything on target 😩…

The system doesn’t help the full-backs.

You would think that having had him at Swansea, Rusty would know how shite Manning is, and would give him more protection. But alas, no.

I would give KWP player of the season so far; I think he has been very good most of the time.

But it’s not an easy call. Hardly anybody has been particularly good.

Which explains why I think we are in a false position of 5th.

We should be about 17th….

Jan Bednarek on 10:21 - Oct 27 with 2168 viewsSaintNick

Jan Bednarek on 09:40 - Oct 27 by PatfromPoole

Well, it’s a slant; I’ll give you that.

You are aware of our goals conceded figure?

We can keep harking on about the goals conceded figure and we can't change any of that, but we can look at gthe fact that 9 of them were conceded in just two disastrous games, aside from those debacles, our goals conceded is on a par with virtually any other team in the division bar Leicester.

Our last 7 games since the defeats to Sunderland & Leicester have seen us concede just 8 goals, we have stopped the rot and the partnership between Bednarek & Harwood-Bellis is a big factor in that.

It is not perfect yet, but only Leicester are averaging less than a goal a game conceded.

So why dont we focus on where we have improved rather than pointing at a figure that is artificially high due to those two debacles.

It is about looking forward and not backwards, in the last 7 games we have sorted the defence out, now we need to start scoring goals and continuing to win games

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jan Bednarek on 10:31 - Oct 27 with 2149 viewsPatfromPoole

Jan Bednarek on 10:21 - Oct 27 by SaintNick

We can keep harking on about the goals conceded figure and we can't change any of that, but we can look at gthe fact that 9 of them were conceded in just two disastrous games, aside from those debacles, our goals conceded is on a par with virtually any other team in the division bar Leicester.

Our last 7 games since the defeats to Sunderland & Leicester have seen us concede just 8 goals, we have stopped the rot and the partnership between Bednarek & Harwood-Bellis is a big factor in that.

It is not perfect yet, but only Leicester are averaging less than a goal a game conceded.

So why dont we focus on where we have improved rather than pointing at a figure that is artificially high due to those two debacles.

It is about looking forward and not backwards, in the last 7 games we have sorted the defence out, now we need to start scoring goals and continuing to win games

If he has any sense, Rusty might be reading this forum for ideas for a tactical masterclass; if people just say all is fine and dandy, he will just make out his way is the best.

Oh dammit, I fear that horse has bolted…..

Jan Bednarek on 11:52 - Oct 27 with 2106 viewssaintwizzler

A clean sheet tomorrow would be lovely.

WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Jan Bednarek on 14:16 - Oct 27 with 2020 viewsGRIM

Jan Bednarek on 10:12 - Oct 27 by PatfromPoole

The system doesn’t help the full-backs.

You would think that having had him at Swansea, Rusty would know how shite Manning is, and would give him more protection. But alas, no.

I would give KWP player of the season so far; I think he has been very good most of the time.

But it’s not an easy call. Hardly anybody has been particularly good.

Which explains why I think we are in a false position of 5th.

We should be about 17th….

I don't agree with your rating of KWP.
I thought early season he looked totally disinterested & lacked commitment.
If he could defend as well as he attacks I'd agree with you but he's is very poor defensively.
Continually being caught out of position & leaving huge gaps on his flank.
I'll give him the benefit of doubt if he's playing to the managers instructions.
Jan Bednarek on 15:09 - Oct 31 with 1628 viewsdarthvader

Jan Bednarek on 14:16 - Oct 27 by GRIM

I don't agree with your rating of KWP.
I thought early season he looked totally disinterested & lacked commitment.
If he could defend as well as he attacks I'd agree with you but he's is very poor defensively.
Continually being caught out of position & leaving huge gaps on his flank.
I'll give him the benefit of doubt if he's playing to the managers instructions.

Back in the day when Clyne and SHaw ventured forward, we had the likes of big vic and Schneiderlin seemlessly covering their positions so it can work well with the correct midfield cover

keep the faith coyr

Login to get fewer ads

Jan Bednarek on 10:45 - Nov 1 with 1496 viewsBerber

He is great when he is on it, but like his concentration, his motivation is subject to enormous lapses.
Jan Bednarek on 10:49 - Nov 1 with 1492 viewsChesham_Saint

My choice at the moment would be between KWP and Adam Armstrong, not Bednarek
- although he has gone a long way to rehabilitating himself after the Aston Villa debacle...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Jan Bednarek on 12:29 - Nov 1 with 1450 viewsFlamingbankers

Yes, I'd agree with the original proposition although Flynn Downes is increasing his credit by the game for me. It goes without saying that KWP has performed well but in an attacking role.

With our systems over the past five or so seasons successive managers have all tried to emulate Man City - mistakenly so because you need world class players to operate that system - Pep ball.

I'm a great believer in 4-4-2 and tweak it when needed or when you have to adjust it according to the players. It can work as a foundation to alter if and when necessary. Unfortunately Saints have barely used this system (although when they have they've got results - I'd like to see the stats) only for managers to revert to aversion of Pep ball in the next game hence to continue a string of underwhelming performances. When the Eureka moment hits and they revert again to 4-4-2 or a near equivalent but once again to revert to mad ball a game or two later ... and so ad infinitum seemingly.

Credit to Martin , he has readjusted to a more solid formation and reintroduced the weird concept of consistency in team selection (sarcasm) instead of the brain-numbing constant rotation with mediocre players - that confuses players and fans alike.

My point is: with Pep ball, with mostly non-world class players, you can't defend effectively with full backs out of position, whilst not being the best of defenders, and with only the centre backs to try to cover (the midfield are usually adrift somewhere else, or making pathetic efforts to defend whilst not being good enough to defend effectively anyway). This has always led to mayhem where the centre backs seem to get an equal amount of criticism as the full backs. I think the centre backs have often had unfair criticism in most matches when they've they've attempted to stop the seeming onslaught of the Alamo.

And so now we're a bit more stable those centre backs are getting fair praise for the job they're supposed to be doing - defending the centre of the goal (all except Holgate who needs decent match practice somewhere so that he can rebuild his confidence). Consequently, for me, Bednarek has been able to show what a good centre half he is with all the qualities noted in previous comments.

One thing that isn't mentioned that Bednarek is outstanding at - is the number of blocks he makes. He's always been a great blocker and I would say, perhaps unbelievably to some, he's one of the best in the world at this. Again, I'd love to see the stats for his blocking. Think of all the great blocks, and goal-lines clearances, has made for club and country. That shows when you have a conducive system then players can play to the best of their ability and do the job they're supposed to do.

Another point is: what a great partner Bednarek is for Harwood-Bellis. You couldn't really have much of a better teacher than Jan.

Just imagine if Leicester had bought Jan instead of Jannik - I think somebody made a mistake in buying the correct Jan. Although Jannik seems to be doing fairly well at the moment and let's face it always had the potential.

So today I'm raising a metaphorical glass to Jan Bednarek, a player - who has redeemed himself - in my eyes, from the stupid behaviour he previously displayed on leaving the club - also my player of the season so far, and long may his excellent form for Saints continue. Blimey, I can't believe I'm praising a Saints defender! Something must be going right.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 12:35]
Jan Bednarek on 16:14 - Nov 1 with 1375 viewsGRIM

Jan Bednarek on 15:09 - Oct 31 by darthvader

Back in the day when Clyne and SHaw ventured forward, we had the likes of big vic and Schneiderlin seemlessly covering their positions so it can work well with the correct midfield cover

Your'e right other players should cover our full backs when they get forward.
But because we don't have players prepared to cover others then the full backs shouldn't be making those runs.
The midfield players should use it as an opportunity to take a breather by dropping in to cover.
It's one of the problems we have, lack of discipline all over the pitch.
But we do rely on KWP to get forward because it's his strength & he creates problems for the opposition.
Jan Bednarek on 16:30 - Nov 1 with 1371 viewsGRIM

I actually agree with Bedders being our best player this season.
I think his partnership with Harwood Bellis is developing each week.
That's what we need, little partnerships all over the field & that's only achieved by keeping a settled side & giving players game time.
My main complaint about Bedders is his constant complaining & getting in the refs face.
He's regularly picking up yellow cards for approaching the officials unnecessarily.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024