Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Education in Wales Slumps 10:38 - Dec 5 with 4580 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Is anything going in the right direction for us?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67616536

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Education in Wales Slumps on 23:08 - Dec 5 with 854 viewsonehunglow

Education in Wales Slumps on 22:49 - Dec 5 by Boundy

All my meals as a child except for the Friday night treat from the chippy were home cooked I agree about being out and about ,15 a side footy down Heol Las Park until it got dark ,walking miles was not an oddity and we cycled everywhere .Swimming in the Tawe in the summer was another activity we were into ,walked to and from Llansamlet secondary from Birchgrove was the norm come rain or shine.
Built like whippets and anyone who was fat really stood out.

First decent fight I had in Brynhyfryd juniors was with a fat lad
Sorry John ...
Memories

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Education in Wales Slumps on 23:20 - Dec 5 with 850 viewscontroversial_jack

Education in Wales Slumps on 20:45 - Dec 5 by Gwyn737

By what measure?

Results mainly. Also communication and feedback. We hardly get any meetings or progress reports about my grandkids compared to when my kids were in school.
Education in Wales Slumps on 00:35 - Dec 6 with 840 viewsRobbie

No idea of the current learnings and cirriculums regarding education , I wasted mine .

Times Table was drilled into me from Infants School , 12x12 , answer quick as you can .

Loved that method of Education , learned a lot , now , from my own experience in retail the way out is to show a phone to a self service check out terminal , bought this then ping .

How the good pupils nowadays progress against Mobile Phone culture , good luck to the ones that move on as best they can .
Education in Wales Slumps on 06:24 - Dec 6 with 806 viewsGwyn737

Education in Wales Slumps on 23:20 - Dec 5 by controversial_jack

Results mainly. Also communication and feedback. We hardly get any meetings or progress reports about my grandkids compared to when my kids were in school.

What results?

How are you comparing? Test scores? Curriculum contents? % of pupils gaining qualifiactions? % of pupils finishing school? Destinations?
Education in Wales Slumps on 09:29 - Dec 6 with 772 viewscontroversial_jack

Education in Wales Slumps on 06:24 - Dec 6 by Gwyn737

What results?

How are you comparing? Test scores? Curriculum contents? % of pupils gaining qualifiactions? % of pupils finishing school? Destinations?

i'm going by personal experience of primary schools over the last 25 years.T he lack of feedback, communication etc is nowhere near the level of professionalism i saw 25 years ago
Education in Wales Slumps on 12:00 - Dec 6 with 761 viewsGwyn737

Education in Wales Slumps on 09:29 - Dec 6 by controversial_jack

i'm going by personal experience of primary schools over the last 25 years.T he lack of feedback, communication etc is nowhere near the level of professionalism i saw 25 years ago

Ahhh… anecdotal evidence from a single person’s experience that’s then presented as fact instead of the sweeping generalisation it is.

Fair enough.
Education in Wales Slumps on 13:15 - Dec 6 with 743 viewscontroversial_jack

Education in Wales Slumps on 12:00 - Dec 6 by Gwyn737

Ahhh… anecdotal evidence from a single person’s experience that’s then presented as fact instead of the sweeping generalisation it is.

Fair enough.

Not really, as i have been to many schools with the kids and grands, and if we don't get feedback or regular progress reports then it's the same for the other parents too.
Education in Wales Slumps on 13:25 - Dec 6 with 740 viewslifelong

Education in Wales Slumps on 12:09 - Dec 5 by onehunglow

Looking around at the girths of kids, it looks like they have too much food
It shows stats mislead
I read we re amongst the most obese in Europe
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 12:09]

Not all children these days are as you describe, I take the grandson to football twice a week and swimming once a week. The classes are full with healthy, fit looking children.
Login to get fewer ads

Education in Wales Slumps on 13:34 - Dec 6 with 734 viewsonehunglow

Education in Wales Slumps on 13:25 - Dec 6 by lifelong

Not all children these days are as you describe, I take the grandson to football twice a week and swimming once a week. The classes are full with healthy, fit looking children.

Not all,of course not.
However.

Education in Wales Slumps on 13:40 - Dec 6 with 736 viewslifelong

The grandson has a switch and Xbox and enjoys playing on them with his friends for a limited time, back in the 50’s and 60’s such technology simply wasn’t available, I suspect if it was children then would be no different to what they are today.
Education in Wales Slumps on 13:44 - Dec 6 with 725 viewsonehunglow

Education in Wales Slumps on 13:40 - Dec 6 by lifelong

The grandson has a switch and Xbox and enjoys playing on them with his friends for a limited time, back in the 50’s and 60’s such technology simply wasn’t available, I suspect if it was children then would be no different to what they are today.

Correct.
It’s a bluddy shame and the downside of the Net.
Are we happier and healthier for having it ?

Education in Wales Slumps on 14:17 - Dec 6 with 714 viewsBoundy

Education in Wales Slumps on 12:00 - Dec 6 by Gwyn737

Fair enough.

I have to say my grandkids attend a couple of local Comprehensive schools and the feedback the parents receive is far better than anything my parents would have had concerning my self and siblings ,Obviously immediate communications such mobile phones , emails etc make it so much easier for all parties .Parent evenings are usually vey well attended and the feedback form the kids is that the teachers do seem to have a genuine interest in them.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Education in Wales Slumps on 15:32 - Dec 6 with 700 viewsGwyn737

Education in Wales Slumps on 14:17 - Dec 6 by Boundy

I have to say my grandkids attend a couple of local Comprehensive schools and the feedback the parents receive is far better than anything my parents would have had concerning my self and siblings ,Obviously immediate communications such mobile phones , emails etc make it so much easier for all parties .Parent evenings are usually vey well attended and the feedback form the kids is that the teachers do seem to have a genuine interest in them.

That’s the norm, fortunately.

Parents evenings, open afternoons, websites, social media accounts, online homework, access to teachers through email, electronic newsletters, text messages, behaviour apps, blogs and vlogs from school trips/outings, online rewards systems to name a few.
Education in Wales Slumps on 15:33 - Dec 6 with 699 viewsGwyn737

Education in Wales Slumps on 13:15 - Dec 6 by controversial_jack

Not really, as i have been to many schools with the kids and grands, and if we don't get feedback or regular progress reports then it's the same for the other parents too.

There are over 32,000 schools in the UK. What % is your sample size?

You said results have lowered, as has the standard of teaching. How have you drawn that conclusion?

Does a perceived lack of communication or feedback to parents mean results have dipped or the standard of teaching lowered?
Education in Wales Slumps on 16:24 - Dec 6 with 686 viewsSullutaCreturned

Education in Wales Slumps on 20:42 - Dec 5 by Gwyn737

Spot on Cat.

There also wasn’t the access to ultra processed food.

It’s one of the reasons why children can be both obese and also suffer from malnutrition.

Yes, Gwyn. My Gran went shopping pretty much every other day. She'd walk to the greengrocer, the butcher and the fruiterer in the morning. We'd have fresh food cooked most days that always had veg.
Education in Wales Slumps on 17:20 - Dec 6 with 671 viewsonehunglow

Education in Wales Slumps on 16:24 - Dec 6 by SullutaCreturned

Yes, Gwyn. My Gran went shopping pretty much every other day. She'd walk to the greengrocer, the butcher and the fruiterer in the morning. We'd have fresh food cooked most days that always had veg.

Many now are too idle or feckless to prepare a meal from scratch

Education in Wales Slumps on 19:36 - Dec 6 with 659 viewscontroversial_jack

Education in Wales Slumps on 15:33 - Dec 6 by Gwyn737

There are over 32,000 schools in the UK. What % is your sample size?

You said results have lowered, as has the standard of teaching. How have you drawn that conclusion?

Does a perceived lack of communication or feedback to parents mean results have dipped or the standard of teaching lowered?

I believe we have dropped back on the world comparriisons
Education in Wales Slumps on 19:51 - Dec 6 with 651 viewsGwyn737

Education in Wales Slumps on 19:36 - Dec 6 by controversial_jack

I believe we have dropped back on the world comparriisons

You can ‘believe’ whatever you want.

Doesn’t make it true.
Education in Wales Slumps on 21:09 - Dec 6 with 635 viewscontroversial_jack

Education in Wales Slumps on 19:51 - Dec 6 by Gwyn737

You can ‘believe’ whatever you want.

Doesn’t make it true.

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/05/uk-pupils-science-and-maths-sc
Education in Wales Slumps on 21:15 - Dec 6 with 626 viewsGwyn737

Education in Wales Slumps on 21:09 - Dec 6 by controversial_jack

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/05/uk-pupils-science-and-maths-sc

Perfect.

The article states that although uk score’s declined in 2022 (the first set of test post Covid so obviously they’d drop) but not as much as in other countries so rankings have improved.
Education in Wales Slumps on 07:22 - Dec 7 with 562 viewstrampie

I never ever came across a good teacher in my time in school, not one.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Education in Wales Slumps on 07:26 - Dec 7 with 558 viewstrampie

Teachers should have a duty of care towards children but I never seen that.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Education in Wales Slumps on 07:29 - Dec 7 with 544 viewstrampie

Teachers should ensure children understand what is being taught, but if a child missed lessons (illness etc), then they just carried on with where they were in their ciriculum and didn't try to help the child catch up.

Education in Wales Slumps on 16:11 - Dec 7 with 457 viewsSullutaCreturned

Education in Wales Slumps on 13:15 - Dec 6 by controversial_jack

Many schools? If you have 10 kids who have given you 120 grand kids who were/are all in different schools you would still be talking about less than 10% of Welsh primary schools.

In reality what are you talking about, 4 or 5 schools?

I'm not saying education isn't poorer now than 40 years ago but what I personally know is I have been well informed of my sons progress in all his schools. That's 2 promaries and the comp.
Education in Wales Slumps on 16:30 - Dec 7 with 454 viewsBoundy

Education in Wales Slumps on 07:29 - Dec 7 by trampie

Teachers should ensure children understand what is being taught, but if a child missed lessons (illness etc), then they just carried on with where they were in their ciriculum and didn't try to help the child catch up.

Keep trying someone will be along shortly to disagree

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024