Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow 12:33 - Dec 15 with 1772 viewsSaintNick

Looks like being a poor crowd tomorrow about 2,000 tickets left including a block returned from Blackburn, cant see them bringing down more than 1,000

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 12:53 - Dec 15 with 1744 viewsfranniesTache

to be fair only a couple thousand short isn't terrible, we're boring to watch at the moment and it's the run up to xmas when people are probably prioritising presents over football
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:38 - Dec 15 with 1692 viewsSaintNick

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 12:53 - Dec 15 by franniesTache

to be fair only a couple thousand short isn't terrible, we're boring to watch at the moment and it's the run up to xmas when people are probably prioritising presents over football

Are we boring to watch at home though ? The last 4 home games have seen us win all of them and score 8 goals in the process.

So I'm not sure what there is to complain about that, sadly I think it is the perception rather than the reality, when Pompey get anywhere near the promotion spots their fans start to talk their team up and tell anyone that will listen how good they are and how they are the best fans in the world.

We are 4th and in the middle of a promotion season, but there is more talk of how bad manning is, tippy tappy football etc etc.

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:42 - Dec 15 with 1680 viewsfranniesTache

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:38 - Dec 15 by SaintNick

Are we boring to watch at home though ? The last 4 home games have seen us win all of them and score 8 goals in the process.

So I'm not sure what there is to complain about that, sadly I think it is the perception rather than the reality, when Pompey get anywhere near the promotion spots their fans start to talk their team up and tell anyone that will listen how good they are and how they are the best fans in the world.

We are 4th and in the middle of a promotion season, but there is more talk of how bad manning is, tippy tappy football etc etc.

we were great against Cardiff and Leeds but other than that we've flattered to deceive most games, i'm not going to complain about the results or position but it's hardly football that gets you up for it.

In all honesty it's not even the tippy tappy stuff i don't like, it's the fact that we have no desire to shoot so just plough crop circles around the pitch whilst the opposition watch on.

It's basically the championship equivalent of this

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:43 - Dec 15 with 1676 viewsButty101

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:38 - Dec 15 by SaintNick

Do you find the football exciting?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:51 - Dec 15 with 1670 viewsSaintNick

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:43 - Dec 15 by Butty101

Ive found the last four home games entertaining.

In the 50 or so years Ive watched football, possibly only around a quarter of that time has seen exciting football, if you want to watch entertaining football then going forward your only hope is to change support to one of the Big 7.

I go to see us win, I would rather us win 2-0 each week and be bored stiff, than turn up week in week out, see a bit of attacking football but ultimately get beaten 3-2 and struggle against relegation

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 14:03 - Dec 15 with 1649 viewsfranniesTache

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:51 - Dec 15 by SaintNick

Ive found the last four home games entertaining.

In the 50 or so years Ive watched football, possibly only around a quarter of that time has seen exciting football, if you want to watch entertaining football then going forward your only hope is to change support to one of the Big 7.

I go to see us win, I would rather us win 2-0 each week and be bored stiff, than turn up week in week out, see a bit of attacking football but ultimately get beaten 3-2 and struggle against relegation

Don't disagree with that to be fair, and i've always said i don't care about the style as long as we win, but that doesn't mean it isn't boring. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

That said we're not the people that might decided or not to go based on how exciting the football is, that's the 2k that aren't buying tickets to the game.
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 14:03 - Dec 15 with 1649 views1ASIN12

In the run up to Christmas we have had Bristol City , Cardiff , Blackburn at home then Swansea and Plymouth straight after .

It’s not surprising the games aren’t selling out , but we are still averaging around 28/ 29,000 which I think is excellent.

Nick , You are right , Portsmouth are quick to tell the world how great their support is both home and away , perhaps it be better if you said how good our support is rather then what seems like criticism the face that there are 2000 empty seats in a stadium that has 31000 of them .

Swansea on Boxing Day have also not taken the full amount so block 43 is on sale to saints fans .
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 14:18 - Dec 15 with 1635 viewsfelly1

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 13:43 - Dec 15 by Butty101

Personally I quite enjoy it most of the time.
I would suspect that any style we play would have its drawbacks and critics.
I'm liking the confidence of our players when they play out of trouble from the back with the short sharp incisive passing that seems to bamboozle the opposition.
It's nervy and no doubt we'll cock it up at some point.
I agree we need more cutting edge and preferably a decent playmaker and another forward would help.
End of the day we are only 2 points behind Leeds who finished 6 points above us last season and I reckon they have a better forward line than us.
A manager who has a track record of promoting a team to the Prem.
Login to get fewer ads

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 15:56 - Dec 15 with 1564 viewsericofarabia

I'm making a relatively rare trip to SMS, only 2nd game this season. We beat Qpr last time here, but in all honestly we were lucky to win after dominating.
As Nick said sometimes its more enjoyable to win regardless and it has been good to see some away wins, after just 2 away wins in the last 21 away games that I went to over the previous 2 seasons 😲. The draws at Huddersfield and Coventry have felt underwhelming but if we had snuck in a late winner in each we would be happy as Larry!
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 16:32 - Dec 15 with 1530 viewssaintmark1976

Hardly surprising given that it’s near to Christmas and three out of the next four games are at home and all before the end of the year. Some people simply don’t have the spare money.
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 17:48 - Dec 15 with 1465 viewskingslandstand1

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 14:18 - Dec 15 by felly1

Personally I quite enjoy it most of the time.
I would suspect that any style we play would have its drawbacks and critics.
I'm liking the confidence of our players when they play out of trouble from the back with the short sharp incisive passing that seems to bamboozle the opposition.
It's nervy and no doubt we'll cock it up at some point.
I agree we need more cutting edge and preferably a decent playmaker and another forward would help.
End of the day we are only 2 points behind Leeds who finished 6 points above us last season and I reckon they have a better forward line than us.
A manager who has a track record of promoting a team to the Prem.

As they say, while we have the ball, the other team can't score!
A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 18:54 - Dec 15 with 1395 viewsSaintNick

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 14:03 - Dec 15 by 1ASIN12

In the run up to Christmas we have had Bristol City , Cardiff , Blackburn at home then Swansea and Plymouth straight after .

It’s not surprising the games aren’t selling out , but we are still averaging around 28/ 29,000 which I think is excellent.

Nick , You are right , Portsmouth are quick to tell the world how great their support is both home and away , perhaps it be better if you said how good our support is rather then what seems like criticism the face that there are 2000 empty seats in a stadium that has 31000 of them .

Swansea on Boxing Day have also not taken the full amount so block 43 is on sale to saints fans .

I constantly talk up our team and support, but to be honest I often find it engulfed by people moaning about Manning or telling the world how bad we are as a side.

Yes our average is great , the last time we got relegated from the Premier we averaged a lot less and its a lot higher than in 2011/12 when we last got promoted, Im often surprised at how low the average was that season given that most consider it the golden years etc and back then we were a club with ambition etc.

For the record the average was 26,420, with the lowest attendance being 21,014 and the highest 32,363, we certainly do have a bigger hardcore of support these days

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 19:34 - Dec 15 with 1373 viewsPatfromPoole

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 18:54 - Dec 15 by SaintNick

I constantly talk up our team and support, but to be honest I often find it engulfed by people moaning about Manning or telling the world how bad we are as a side.

Yes our average is great , the last time we got relegated from the Premier we averaged a lot less and its a lot higher than in 2011/12 when we last got promoted, Im often surprised at how low the average was that season given that most consider it the golden years etc and back then we were a club with ambition etc.

For the record the average was 26,420, with the lowest attendance being 21,014 and the highest 32,363, we certainly do have a bigger hardcore of support these days

Nick

You keep saying it’s not about what players do in the past, it’s about what they do in the future.

But Manning keeps cocking up and costing us.

You can’t blame Sulemana for leaving him exposed on Wednesday.

He had a good game against Cardiff and I credited him as such.

But he is just so poor. You must be able to see that.

We will never get promoted with him in the team.

But then maybe that is Martin’s plan…….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 10:40 - Dec 16 with 1135 viewsSaintNick

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 19:34 - Dec 15 by PatfromPoole

Nick

You keep saying it’s not about what players do in the past, it’s about what they do in the future.

But Manning keeps cocking up and costing us.

You can’t blame Sulemana for leaving him exposed on Wednesday.

He had a good game against Cardiff and I credited him as such.

But he is just so poor. You must be able to see that.

We will never get promoted with him in the team.

But then maybe that is Martin’s plan…….

Pat you make valid points and i agree his mistake at Coventry was not about being exposed.

I dont feel he is playing to his potential, that is true, but I also dont feel his is as poor as you would claim, if he is that bad then we would have lost a few in the last 13 games.

Why will we never get promoted with him in the team, the stats dont back that one up, perhaps it wont be automatic promotion, but certainly we can do via the play offs.

Why would Russell Martin not want to get Saints promoted ?

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 08:38 - Dec 18 with 893 viewsstmichael

Manning would be highly likely to cost us a play off semi or final.
He cant defend , his distribution is awful and I cannot see how he had such good stats last season as he cant deliver a ball either.
At the age of 59 I honestly don't think he could stop me crossing a ball.
After Cardiff I praised him and challenged him to keep it up and he gave us Coventry.
Rightly out of the side now - I hope we never see him again..

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 09:16 - Dec 18 with 859 viewsButty101

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 10:40 - Dec 16 by SaintNick

Pat you make valid points and i agree his mistake at Coventry was not about being exposed.

I dont feel he is playing to his potential, that is true, but I also dont feel his is as poor as you would claim, if he is that bad then we would have lost a few in the last 13 games.

Why will we never get promoted with him in the team, the stats dont back that one up, perhaps it wont be automatic promotion, but certainly we can do via the play offs.

Why would Russell Martin not want to get Saints promoted ?

If Manning is that good, why has he been dropped for a right back a couple times.

Bree v Manning starts
P W D L GF GA PTS
Bree 6 4 2 0 13 5 14
Manning 15 7 4 4 24 26 25

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 09:19 - Dec 18 with 857 viewsSaintNick

A Couple Of Thousand Tickets Left For Tomorrow on 08:38 - Dec 18 by stmichael

Manning would be highly likely to cost us a play off semi or final.
He cant defend , his distribution is awful and I cannot see how he had such good stats last season as he cant deliver a ball either.
At the age of 59 I honestly don't think he could stop me crossing a ball.
After Cardiff I praised him and challenged him to keep it up and he gave us Coventry.
Rightly out of the side now - I hope we never see him again..

Why would you hope that you will never see him again, surely as a Southampton player you would hope that as against Cardiff, that the next time he plays he puts in another performance like that and then repeats it again.

I can understand why people don't rate Manning, but this is something different it is a hatred and in some peoples cases almost wanting him to make bad mistakes to prove the point.

"He gave us Coventry" what sort of statement is that, it is suggesting that everything he did cost us a goal, yet we drew against an inform Coventry side, yes Manning made an error, yes sadly it cost us a goal, but he wasn't the only one who gave the ball away or made errors.

It is wrong and unhealthy, like everyone I have players I rate and dont rate, but if they play I want them to do well.

Manning is clearly in a confidence crisis, probably not helped by the stick he gets, he is caught between a rock and a hard place, he is trying to do the right thing, but it seems that it is always him it goes wrong for.

He is not the first player to have a bad start at Saints and hopefully he will note that he wouldn't be the first to turn it round, Stuart Armstrong was not a success in his first 6 months at the club and got plenty of stick and a section of this crowd gave JWP plenty of stick up to about 4 years ago .

Rightly out of the side I wouldn't disagree with , but I hope he comes back and proves everybody wrong.

Makes you wonder how we have won 10 of the last 14 and not lost with Ryan Manning, Gavin Bazunu in the starting line up and Sekou Mara coming off the bench.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024