Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season 06:00 - Feb 22 with 1033 viewsPatfromPoole

Taken from today’s Southampton Echo:-

Played 15
Won 4
Drawn 5
Lost 6

This is what will probably cost us automatic promotion.

And doesn’t bode well for the play-offs.

It’s not rocket science; the better sides press high against us and don’t allow the passing game from the back.

Therefore a Plan B is required.

Over to you, Mr. Martin.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 08:33 - Feb 22 with 919 viewsButty101

That suggests we are flat track bullies.

The way Hull took us apart , the playoffs are going to lead to heart ache

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 10:53 - Feb 22 with 852 viewsIfonly

Exactly right but I can't see RM coming up with a plan B. He's made it clear he only believes in one way of playing. The obvious plan B is to hit it over the press to our front line. But RM would sooner be turning in his grave than have us do that.

He said after the Hull game that we weren't "brave" enough and didn't "play our game". What he means is that we didn't demand the ball in tight spaces and make enough risky passes across our penalty box. He sees us beating the press in the same way that the top teams do but I'm not sure we have the quality to do that.
Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 11:05 - Feb 22 with 848 viewsPatfromPoole

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 10:53 - Feb 22 by Ifonly

Exactly right but I can't see RM coming up with a plan B. He's made it clear he only believes in one way of playing. The obvious plan B is to hit it over the press to our front line. But RM would sooner be turning in his grave than have us do that.

He said after the Hull game that we weren't "brave" enough and didn't "play our game". What he means is that we didn't demand the ball in tight spaces and make enough risky passes across our penalty box. He sees us beating the press in the same way that the top teams do but I'm not sure we have the quality to do that.

I understand he was going nuts at Bazunu on Tuesday night when he dared to play the ball long....

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 12:44 - Feb 22 with 782 views1ASIN12

Is that from the table as it is today or the position of the teams were when we played them ?
Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 12:49 - Feb 22 with 775 viewsPatfromPoole

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 12:44 - Feb 22 by 1ASIN12

Is that from the table as it is today or the position of the teams were when we played them ?

It's a good point. I got it from the Echo.

We have lost to Leicester, Ipswich, Hull, Sunderland and Bristol City.

All of whom are currently in the top half.

But Middlesboro are 13th; although I think they were virtually bottom when we lost to them.

Regarding the 4 wins out of 15, two of them were against West Brom, so we should clearly hope to meet them in the play-offs.....

The other 2 were against Leeds at home and Hull away. But that's all.

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 13:00 - Feb 22 with 760 viewscocklebreath

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 11:05 - Feb 22 by PatfromPoole

I understand he was going nuts at Bazunu on Tuesday night when he dared to play the ball long....

And so was I because it was rubbish

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 14:11 - Feb 22 with 702 viewssaint22

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 10:53 - Feb 22 by Ifonly

Its not just needing a Plan B though its also picking the right team
Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 16:12 - Feb 22 with 638 views1teeminants

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 12:49 - Feb 22 by PatfromPoole

It's a good point. I got it from the Echo.

We have lost to Leicester, Ipswich, Hull, Sunderland and Bristol City.

All of whom are currently in the top half.

But Middlesboro are 13th; although I think they were virtually bottom when we lost to them.

Regarding the 4 wins out of 15, two of them were against West Brom, so we should clearly hope to meet them in the play-offs.....

The other 2 were against Leeds at home and Hull away. But that's all.

We also lost to Leicester and Ipswich when RM had only just started and the players were getting used to his ideas etc. we were garbage back then now we’re not so garbage although recently we’ve reverted to garbage. 😎

The weird thing is only last Friday we played our best game of the season at West Brom .

Aribo, Brooks, Adams, Fraser all need to start imo.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 17:46 - Feb 22 with 577 views1teeminants

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 16:12 - Feb 22 by 1teeminants

We also lost to Leicester and Ipswich when RM had only just started and the players were getting used to his ideas etc. we were garbage back then now we’re not so garbage although recently we’ve reverted to garbage. 😎

The weird thing is only last Friday we played our best game of the season at West Brom .

Aribo, Brooks, Adams, Fraser all need to start imo.

You can add Sunderland to that list too.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 17:54 - Feb 22 with 566 viewsdarthvader

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 13:00 - Feb 22 by cocklebreath

And so was I because it was rubbish

If the long pass connects, its a good ball . We have done that on occasion this season ,just it looks desperate if it goes no where

keep the faith coyr

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 18:20 - Feb 22 with 547 viewsfelly1

It's been a disappointing and strange few weeks.
To beat WBA away comfortably In what was arguably our best performance with no Flynn Downes yet sandwiched between that game were two very poor performances and defeats in games we thought we would win or at least get 4 points.

Talking of a Plan B.
After the 4 defeats earlier in the season, when we faced Leeds at home we all expected the worst tbh.
My memory of that game was we had a lot less possession and went a bit more direct and it lead to us being 3 up at half time.

I do hope RM is bluffing slightly to the media regarding not changing our style as he clearly did for that game and we blindsided Leeds.
Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 18:24 - Feb 22 with 543 viewsfelly1

Just checked.. We had 47% possession.
Armstrong A 2 goals plus Smallbone got 1.
Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 19:06 - Feb 22 with 527 viewsLondonSaint76

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 18:20 - Feb 22 by felly1

It's been a disappointing and strange few weeks.
To beat WBA away comfortably In what was arguably our best performance with no Flynn Downes yet sandwiched between that game were two very poor performances and defeats in games we thought we would win or at least get 4 points.

Talking of a Plan B.
After the 4 defeats earlier in the season, when we faced Leeds at home we all expected the worst tbh.
My memory of that game was we had a lot less possession and went a bit more direct and it lead to us being 3 up at half time.

I do hope RM is bluffing slightly to the media regarding not changing our style as he clearly did for that game and we blindsided Leeds.

Spot on - I remember suggesting in a pre-match post that we mix it up against Leeds the double rationale being Rustyball had not gone well for us in the previous 4 games, plus Piroe had gone to Leeds from Swansea and could tell them exactly all the tactical inside info on top of what their management team already knew. Mixing it up on the day worked a treat as it was totally unexpected. I think that Rustyball to RM is an itch he has to keep on scratching so even though we have proof of how a Plan B can be effective I think he will stick largely to a Plan A.
As for the run in, if they carry on the way they are going I can’t see Leeds losing another game with the possible exception of tomorrow night against Leicester. As for the PO’s (as much as I detest them on the principle of what they are) based on the season so far I’d go for West Brom H&A as we seem to have the measure of them and Ipswich in the Final as they always have the capacity to concede goals from self inflicted errors - Preston A, Rotherham H for example. Bazunu has taken some stick again recently but I’d rather have him than the Ipswich keeper.
On a separate note, I wonder what the team and tactics will be for the Liverpool game next week?? At least Holgate won’t be there to gift them a goal or two 😀
[Post edited 22 Feb 19:15]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 19:29 - Feb 22 with 494 viewscocklebreath

Saints’ record against teams in the top-half this season on 17:54 - Feb 22 by darthvader

If the long pass connects, its a good ball . We have done that on occasion this season ,just it looks desperate if it goes no where

But it was proper hoofing to Mara who’s not getting it, usually if we go longer it’s cross field medium passes, it was hopeless for 60 minutes.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024