Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Stoke City The Preview 08:55 - Apr 26 with 604 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62402/southampton-v-stok

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 09:28 - Apr 26 with 548 viewsButty101

"The bizarre decision to jump Alex McCarthy over Joe Lumley when he wasn't even in the squad, that sends a message to the squad and it unsettles them, players want surety, they want to know where they stand, this erodes that togetherness Character & fight."

Im not sure this is true , we put our shed load of sitters away at cardiff and win the game, tuesday would have been a motivated team and a different game.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 09:57 - Apr 26 with 535 viewsSaintNick

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 09:28 - Apr 26 by Butty101

"The bizarre decision to jump Alex McCarthy over Joe Lumley when he wasn't even in the squad, that sends a message to the squad and it unsettles them, players want surety, they want to know where they stand, this erodes that togetherness Character & fight."

Im not sure this is true , we put our shed load of sitters away at cardiff and win the game, tuesday would have been a motivated team and a different game.

Its all about opinions, mine is that over the past couple of months we have had a fragile confidence, the longer the game went on at Cardiff the more our confidence eroded, yes if we had put a second away at Cardiff it would have seen us gain in confidence and might have gone to Leicester and got a result.

That is football certain things can change games and seasons, Cardiff was a pivotal moment in the season and brought out the problems in the Leicester game

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 10:09 - Apr 26 with 525 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 09:57 - Apr 26 by SaintNick

Its all about opinions, mine is that over the past couple of months we have had a fragile confidence, the longer the game went on at Cardiff the more our confidence eroded, yes if we had put a second away at Cardiff it would have seen us gain in confidence and might have gone to Leicester and got a result.

That is football certain things can change games and seasons, Cardiff was a pivotal moment in the season and brought out the problems in the Leicester game

But we went into the Cardiff game after 3 straight wins; we should have been on a high after that.

We just seem to be so brittle mentally; it's not a new thing, this would often happen under Hassenhutl; once we conceded one goal we would collapse like a pack of cards.

I think this is our biggest barrier to overcome.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 10:32 - Apr 26 with 505 viewsA1079

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 10:09 - Apr 26 by PatfromPoole

But we went into the Cardiff game after 3 straight wins; we should have been on a high after that.

We just seem to be so brittle mentally; it's not a new thing, this would often happen under Hassenhutl; once we conceded one goal we would collapse like a pack of cards.

Agree Pat. We seem to have a soft underbelly and mentality that is easily broken. You are right that is not just a symptom of this team or season, it has shown through over a number of recent seasons. I would argue that it even existed at times under my personal favourite manager - Lawrie McMenemy. Over the years, we have all too often fallen at the final hurdle or croaked just as the prize has been within our reach.

That said, putting the recent downturn aside, by and large I have enjoyed the season and if I am honest, I did not expect to be in the top 6 at the beginning of the season and certainly not after those early defeats.
Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 11:12 - Apr 26 with 449 viewsfelly1

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 10:32 - Apr 26 by A1079

Agree Pat. We seem to have a soft underbelly and mentality that is easily broken. You are right that is not just a symptom of this team or season, it has shown through over a number of recent seasons. I would argue that it even existed at times under my personal favourite manager - Lawrie McMenemy. Over the years, we have all too often fallen at the final hurdle or croaked just as the prize has been within our reach.

That said, putting the recent downturn aside, by and large I have enjoyed the season and if I am honest, I did not expect to be in the top 6 at the beginning of the season and certainly not after those early defeats.

For me it comes down to the quality of players..its as simple as that.
Good players know how to hold onto a one nil lead.
Good players exploit the opposition and kill the game with 2nd or 3rd goals.
At this level we are a very good team/squad but just fall short compared to Leicester, Leeds and Ipswich.

Leicester and Leeds have better teams/squads as proven by finishing 6 and 9 points above us respectively last season and they kept more of their better players than we did.
Over 46 matches that's revealed itself.
Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 12:22 - Apr 26 with 381 viewsIfonly

I agree with Nick on this. Psychology is so important and it's easy for it to be undermined. Players want to know where they stand. If they're not picked, why? If they're dropped, why? I get the feeling with all the chopping and changing the players have lost a bit of faith in the manager.

Going back to comments about Ralph, I think this was fundamental to the problems. Not chopping and changing so much but RH lost some of his enthusiasm and I'm sure this was picked up by the players. They then lost that edge, the few percent that are critical to results. Ex players and pundits have been saying that Klopp made a big mistake in announcing his retirement. RH made that mistake in Feb 22. He said he planned to stay on until 2024 and "I hope I have the strength to go through with it". Not very inspiring for the players. They need 110% commitment to perform (particularly in RH's pressing system). 99% isn't good enough.
Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 12:56 - Apr 26 with 354 viewssaint22

Southampton V Stoke City The Preview on 10:09 - Apr 26 by PatfromPoole

It all stems from the manager
A strong clear stable leader filters down to the workforce no matter your business

The endless tinkering and uncertainty in line ups must be effecting the players.
Making an error and getting dropped a la KWP but not Bazunu Jack Manning etc feeds that uncertainty

The inability to adapt or provide clear instructions - other than tippy tappy at the back - helps ensure a team who don’t have a true plan

Buck stops there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024