Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Nicholl V Lallana 18:31 - Jun 8 with 1594 viewsUTS1885

Both not known to the owner or the board managament of the club and yet one was given a total snub and the other the red carpet treatment. If, the club did some homework on Nicholl to snub him. There is more than enough also to tell Lallana that he burnt his bridges and isnt welcome at the club.

Remember the club giving Lallana just the one sentence on departure.

At 36 yrs old and not wanted by 'brighton' why should we give him the time of day ?

Its a farce and hardly the manpower required to stay in the PL

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 20:26 - Jun 8 with 1492 viewsBLEEDRED

It is still difficult for me to understand why the club did absolutely nothing for Chris. He was a great club servant, if the club had some black mark against him ???
Lallana is just another money grasping footballer who only wants to come back to the club because no one else wants him.
Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:06 - Jun 9 with 1271 viewsTripleNiemi

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 20:26 - Jun 8 by BLEEDRED

It is still difficult for me to understand why the club did absolutely nothing for Chris. He was a great club servant, if the club had some black mark against him ???
Lallana is just another money grasping footballer who only wants to come back to the club because no one else wants him.

Does the club employ, or have anyone within the ranks that knows anything about Southampton FC before the Social Media era came along? The whole Chris Nicholl thing was nothing short of disgraceful.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:12 - Jun 9 with 1265 viewsSaintNick

One theory I have heard about why there was nothing from the club for Chris Nicholl was because he was the manager at the club for much to the time that former youth team coach Bob Higgins was at the Dell.

Whilst there is absolutely no evidence to suggest Chris Nicholl did anything untoward and even knew about it being first team manager, I think the club got cold feet about doing something public and then fanning the flames again, that the club knew what was happening and sat back and did nothing.

I don't particularly think that the club should have done this and snubbed Nicholl.

With regards to Lallana I think sometimes we as fans are selective in which former heroes we forgive and which we don't.

Elder fans will remember the TV documentary on the club in 1975, when Mike Channon announced that he wanted a transfer, he didn't go for till 1977, but when he returned after 2 years we welcomed him back and he is quite rightly a club legend.

Dean Richards left here in 2001 in highly controversial circumstances that didn't leave him in a good light, he was truly vilified on his return, but since his death he is talked about in revered tones.

Rickie Lambert left at the same time as Lambert, perhaps he did not go to the lengths that Lallana did to secure his release, but then again we wanted Lallana to stay more, but basically the situation was the same, both players wanted to go to Liverpool and not stay at Saints.

Jose Fonte treated Saints shamelessly as he pushed for a move to firstly Manchester United and then ending up at West Ham United, all in the pursuit of money as he had a new agent, after declaring the previous year that he wanted to stay at Saints for life as he signed a new deal, but he still doesn't get much stick from Saints supporters.

The truth is this is professional football clubs & players will do what they have to do to flourish, we have to accept that our players have no loyalty it is a business.

Lallana was offered a new contract by Brighton, he turned it down, he can still offer something as a player but it will be the odd start and mainly off the bench, but his experience will be worth far more

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:59 - Jun 9 with 1232 viewsTripleNiemi

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:12 - Jun 9 by SaintNick

One theory I have heard about why there was nothing from the club for Chris Nicholl was because he was the manager at the club for much to the time that former youth team coach Bob Higgins was at the Dell.

Whilst there is absolutely no evidence to suggest Chris Nicholl did anything untoward and even knew about it being first team manager, I think the club got cold feet about doing something public and then fanning the flames again, that the club knew what was happening and sat back and did nothing.

I don't particularly think that the club should have done this and snubbed Nicholl.

With regards to Lallana I think sometimes we as fans are selective in which former heroes we forgive and which we don't.

Elder fans will remember the TV documentary on the club in 1975, when Mike Channon announced that he wanted a transfer, he didn't go for till 1977, but when he returned after 2 years we welcomed him back and he is quite rightly a club legend.

Dean Richards left here in 2001 in highly controversial circumstances that didn't leave him in a good light, he was truly vilified on his return, but since his death he is talked about in revered tones.

Rickie Lambert left at the same time as Lambert, perhaps he did not go to the lengths that Lallana did to secure his release, but then again we wanted Lallana to stay more, but basically the situation was the same, both players wanted to go to Liverpool and not stay at Saints.

Jose Fonte treated Saints shamelessly as he pushed for a move to firstly Manchester United and then ending up at West Ham United, all in the pursuit of money as he had a new agent, after declaring the previous year that he wanted to stay at Saints for life as he signed a new deal, but he still doesn't get much stick from Saints supporters.

The truth is this is professional football clubs & players will do what they have to do to flourish, we have to accept that our players have no loyalty it is a business.

Lallana was offered a new contract by Brighton, he turned it down, he can still offer something as a player but it will be the odd start and mainly off the bench, but his experience will be worth far more

Funny ol game and yep, remember the stick Dean Richards received well.

Upon reflection have to admit at being pretty selective myself in that I ain’t fussed on Lallana coming back, yet when WGS departed I would have taken Hoddle back in a flash…….
[Post edited 9 Jun 9:03]

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 10:07 - Jun 9 with 1178 viewsChesham_Saint

Let’s not forget those duplicitous tvvats, Lovren and Van Dijk. To my mind far worse than Lallana.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 10:37 - Jun 9 with 1133 viewsPatfromPoole

TBH I don’t think Ted Bates would have been much less complicit.

I remember seeing an interview with Merrington a couple of years ago, who was aware of what was going on, but was leant on from up above not to pursue it.

Bates was a name I am sure he mentioned as part of those discussions.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 10:40 - Jun 9 with 1131 viewsPatfromPoole

Adam Blackmore said on Twitter this week that the truth about Fonte’s departure is far removed from what many say.

You may have heard his interview with Fonte this week. He still seems to retain a lot of affection for the club.

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 12:30 - Jun 9 with 1042 viewsTripleNiemi

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 10:40 - Jun 9 by PatfromPoole

Adam Blackmore said on Twitter this week that the truth about Fonte’s departure is far removed from what many say.

You may have heard his interview with Fonte this week. He still seems to retain a lot of affection for the club.

When I met Matty a few years back he was far from impressed with Monsieur Fonte, but then again not sure how much water that holds……

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 13:37 - Jun 9 with 1018 viewsUTS1885

As Nick has said the Chris Nicholl snub is supposedly related to Bob Higgins and not passing on information to the chairman/board after he was told by Merrington. When the Police did turn up at the club within months it was due to a soccer school complaint from elsewhere. That still doesn’t mean he should have been snubbed esp as we’ve changed ownership and board members since a number of times.

Both the club secretary and head of comms have been at the club long enough and before Lallana left. It’s not about Lallana simply leaving !

I saw this on another forum and frankly the jungle drums say this was one of a number of players, sticking his nose in our affairs to the detriment of our club

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/37423173/nathaniel-clyne-says-adam-la

As I’ve already stated Lallana had a rather strange relationship with Nicola Cortese, always in his ear I’ve been told esp around the time Cortese resigned.

One thing is very clear, we will have limited money to spend on players and need a good four to five PL standard players to stay up.
[Post edited 9 Jun 14:04]
Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 21:31 - Jun 9 with 816 viewsSaintNick

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 10:40 - Jun 9 by PatfromPoole

All players have journalists that they can bend their ear, if Adam Blackmore has a viewpoint on Fonte leaving, he will have got it from the player himself.

The main fact of the story is that Fonte left for the Euros in 2016 happy with his lot after signing a new contract six months earlier.

He has changed his agent to the super agent Jorge Mendez who seemed to be engineering a deal for Fonte to go to Mendez's main client Jose Mourinho's new club, Fonte was hardly the quality of player who United's board wanted.

This was all in the media before Fonte had returned to St Mary's after an extra couple of weeks off and he had not spoken to the new manager at the time.

Fonte was badly advised and chased money, he could have captained Saints at Wembley and we would probably have won.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:42 - Jun 10 with 686 viewsSonicBoom

I wouldn't take anyone back.
Fonte engineered a move and was disruptive behind the scenes. I think he was one that pretty much refused to play hence being on the bench at the end.
VVD was similar and I'm pretty sure Mane was the same. He went ton strike to get out of Salzburg was it to come to Saints so that's no surprise.
There are some players you just expect better from. Lallana had been here since a youth and yet there he was taking photos with a Liverpool shirt. MLt had a recent interview with Blackmore where he said that he advised Lallana saying that it's ok to go just do it in the right way, and then he said "he obviously ignored my advice".
So it's never that they leave, it's how they do it. It's eminently possible to move but to treat the club with a degree of respect. It's not actually that hard.

As for using Lallana's experience, well is it that big a deal? I guess the effect of that will never really be quantified. We already have a manager, senior pros and coaching staff.
But anyway in a nutshell, we expected better of Lallana.
Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:49 - Jun 10 with 685 viewsPatfromPoole

Brighton appear to be about to appoint a 31 year-old manager.

If Lallana was that much of a wise presence around the place, why didn’t they put him on the coaching team?

We surely can’t be looking at him as being in the team.

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 10:07 - Jun 10 with 660 viewsSaintNick

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 08:49 - Jun 10 by PatfromPoole

Brighton appear to be about to appoint a 31 year-old manager.

If Lallana was that much of a wise presence around the place, why didn’t they put him on the coaching team?

We surely can’t be looking at him as being in the team.

Hurzeler has been assistant coach at St Paulli since 2020 and head coach for the last two seasons, winning promotion to the Bundesligathis season

He has been involved in coaching since 2016 and obtained his full UEFA pro licence last year.

It wasn't about his age it was about his experience, he has been coaching for 8 years and also involved with the German U20 & U18 sides.

Lallana is starting his coaching career, Lallana made 25 appearances in the premier League last season, he started 13 of them.

His can still do a job on the pitch, and he is respected, as was shown when he took on coaching duties when Graham Potter was sacked

Why didn't Brighton put him on the coaching team, that would be a matter for the manager, perhaps he felt that Lallana would have too much influence.

McMenemy didn't put Terry Paine of the coaching team and knew he had to get him out of the club so that he could assert his authority, likewise Ian Branfoot knew that Jimmy Case harboured hopes of the managers job so saw him as a threat.

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 18:34 - Jun 10 with 559 viewsstmichael

If you need to ask that question UTS1885 then you need to give your head a wobble..
You are aware how old Adam was when he joined the club and how old he was when he left?
You are aware how many appearances he made for the club during this time?
You do remember the double promotion and Adam captaining the team and going on to play for England?
You do recall Adam playing in the 3rd tier of English football when he could easily have left and played for strong Championship club or even Premier league?
You do remember all the goals and assists?
Nope all of that is meaningless because you are upset because he left in a manner which was not great but enough for you to obliterate everything he gave and did for our club.
That's frankly pathetic.
One final question did you kick up a fuss when we tried to get Hoddle back but gave in to fan power and got relegated?

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 21:32 - Jun 10 with 496 viewsSP4Saint

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 18:34 - Jun 10 by stmichael

If you need to ask that question UTS1885 then you need to give your head a wobble..
You are aware how old Adam was when he joined the club and how old he was when he left?
You do remember the double promotion and Adam captaining the team and going on to play for England?
You do recall Adam playing in the 3rd tier of English football when he could easily have left and played for strong Championship club or even Premier league?
Nope all of that is meaningless because you are upset because he left in a manner which was not great but enough for you to obliterate everything he gave and did for our club.
That's frankly pathetic.
One final question did you kick up a fuss when we tried to get Hoddle back but gave in to fan power and got relegated?

Well said St Michael. Holding a grudge 10 years down the line due to the way a very loyal player left is frankly ridiculous. Lallana stuck with us through all the hard times and along with Lambert, Fonte, Kelvin and Schneiderlin was instrumental in getting us from League One to the fringes of European football in 2014. If anyone should take stick its Sir Ricky himself - he was the bait that lured the rest of them.
Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 14:05 - Jun 11 with 420 viewssaint901

I confess that I find the whole set of attitudes from fans toward former players, very hard to resonate with.

Players at professional level are literally a pair of feet for hire.

Yes, many will have some affection for a club which nurtured them from school boy to player but once they've made the grade, they owe the club very little.

They know that in getting tot he first team, they have survived a number of cuts when the club will have been ruthless in dropping those who they think will not make it. I've seen boys who have been at a club from age 8 to 17 and then been turned out on a week's notice. If the club shows no loyalty to players, why do fans expect players to feel differently?

The only question to ask really is whether Lallana has anything to offer a club newly arrived in the PL with a different team to the one relegated in 2023?

I think he does but not as a starter. I see him as a cool head and an injection of creativity for when we need it.

As to his history with the club - I really couldn't care less.
Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 15:01 - Jun 11 with 408 viewsSaintNick

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 14:05 - Jun 11 by saint901

I confess that I find the whole set of attitudes from fans toward former players, very hard to resonate with.

Players at professional level are literally a pair of feet for hire.

Yes, many will have some affection for a club which nurtured them from school boy to player but once they've made the grade, they owe the club very little.

They know that in getting tot he first team, they have survived a number of cuts when the club will have been ruthless in dropping those who they think will not make it. I've seen boys who have been at a club from age 8 to 17 and then been turned out on a week's notice. If the club shows no loyalty to players, why do fans expect players to feel differently?

The only question to ask really is whether Lallana has anything to offer a club newly arrived in the PL with a different team to the one relegated in 2023?

I think he does but not as a starter. I see him as a cool head and an injection of creativity for when we need it.

As to his history with the club - I really couldn't care less.

Very wise words, the problem for some is football is all about emotion and it is hard to look at it without that emotion taking over.

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 15:16 - Jun 11 with 402 viewssaint901

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 15:01 - Jun 11 by SaintNick

Very wise words, the problem for some is football is all about emotion and it is hard to look at it without that emotion taking over.

Thank you.

It's understandable that some get very emotional over a club. It's part of their life.

Players however don't see it like that. I was in a meeting with an averagely good midfield player a few years back. He had played at perhaps three top league clubs (never in a top six team) over ten years. I asked him to give me a breakdown of his financial income/expenses over that period. He had to ask his girlfriend to remind him who he was playing for at various times!
Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 15:20 - Jun 11 with 400 viewsChesham_Saint

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 15:01 - Jun 11 by SaintNick

I agree with most of that, but players should remember when they kiss the badge and pledge themselves to the club etc that fans will be pissed off when they show scant loyalty 5 minutes later.

That said, unless a player has been a real moron (as in Charlie Austin's post SFC comments) I'd welcome many back, including Lallana.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 17:07 - Jun 11 with 357 viewsUTS1885

Chris Nicholl V Lallana on 18:34 - Jun 10 by stmichael

That's frankly pathetic.

I’ve made it crystal clear on this thread and another one that my ire is NOT anything to do with Lallana and him leaving. My previous post shows why I and ALL Saints fans should have concerns with Lallana and his relationship with a former chairman and telling players to leave as shown.

There isn’t another player that’s left and falls into the same disturbing claims as Lallana.

As for Hoddle, 100% I didn’t want that cretin back after his actions on leaving. The idea he would have saved us from relegation is pie in the sky. On that note though ask Lowe and he says he never spoke to Hoddle it was media gossip.

Lallanas Brighton contract runs out in 48hrs
[Post edited 11 Jun 17:13]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024