Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press 21:47 - Sep 14 with 4052 viewsshotters

Just ordered this book for those who might be interested in this sort of thing

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Fail we may, sail we must

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 00:02 - Sep 15 with 1399 viewsfranniesTache

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 23:30 - Sep 14 by SaintNick

I was hoping you could review the latest Zombie'ites album for the site


To be fair if you’re talking older music my tastes are pretty varied, I’ve got crass records, cream records, Dylan and Donovan, a ton of reggae, bluebeat and ska, 90s indie and even a Kylie record in my collection.

I just don’t really buy new guitar bands anymore as not much has floated my boat in those styles for ages as it all sounds so samey
0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 07:44 - Sep 15 with 1238 viewsshotters

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 22:40 - Sep 14 by shotters

If you’ve got anything in large I’ll take one of your hands

Time for another one perhaps? A Chapel Grandads inspired design?


The Chapel Grandads

Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways, for me and for you
What more can we do?

Fail we may, sail we must

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 08:44 - Sep 15 with 1176 viewsSaintNick

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 00:02 - Sep 15 by franniesTache

To be fair if you’re talking older music my tastes are pretty varied, I’ve got crass records, cream records, Dylan and Donovan, a ton of reggae, bluebeat and ska, 90s indie and even a Kylie record in my collection.

I just don’t really buy new guitar bands anymore as not much has floated my boat in those styles for ages as it all sounds so samey


I have a fair variety of music genres in my collection, I have never really got on with most forms of Jazz though.

I have to agree, most the new stuff released these days by guitar bands to coin a phrase, is a little samey and re hashing whats gone on before

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 08:47 - Sep 15 with 1173 viewssolent_toffee

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 21:58 - Sep 14 by SaintNick

Fanzines were brilliant as an alternative press for about 20 years or so and then came along the interne, which made it all too easy to do on line


I loved fanzines and would often buy the opposition one when I went to away games. Like most things, the main Everton one When Skies Are Grey was brilliant as was the spin off message board, similar to here I guess.

Mark O’Brien, the original editor of it, launched a new one last season. It’s only two copies in but it’s infinitely better than anything on the internet.
0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 09:10 - Sep 15 with 1147 viewsSaintNick

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 08:47 - Sep 15 by solent_toffee

I loved fanzines and would often buy the opposition one when I went to away games. Like most things, the main Everton one When Skies Are Grey was brilliant as was the spin off message board, similar to here I guess.

Mark O’Brien, the original editor of it, launched a new one last season. It’s only two copies in but it’s infinitely better than anything on the internet.


I wondered whether Mark is still going

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 20:13 - Sep 15 with 1004 viewssolent_toffee

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 09:10 - Sep 15 by SaintNick

I wondered whether Mark is still going


He pops up now and again with some pieces which are very, very good and then brought the fanzine off as one off and it went down very well so had a follow up one at the end of the season. Hopefully there will be a few more this season.

He binned off the message board spin off years ago following legal action from a couple of people with no sense of humour. It’s still going strong under a new name with a lot of the old contributors but he keeps well out of it!
0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 09:24 - Sep 16 with 889 viewsShirtNumbers

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 23:37 - Sep 14 by shotters

I’ll happily tell you what I think of the new Bunnymen lp when it’s released on Friday, quite tempted by the green splatter vinyl
But that’s hardly cutting edge!
As an aside print media really is a dying form
The only physical magazines I buy now are Paninaro and Disco Pogo which are both bi-annual. Recently cancelled my subscription to WSC as I wasn’t reading it much anymore


I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts on the new Bunnymen LP.

I'm a big fan of the original albums (Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here are my favourite) and saw them play Bournemouth in March. Was a good show.

Enjoyed Brussels is Haunted however have heard that Will Sergeant has had little to no involvement in recording whatsoever.

Poll: What will it take for fans to show any anger at the state of our club?

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 10:14 - Sep 16 with 867 viewsshotters

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 09:24 - Sep 16 by ShirtNumbers

I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts on the new Bunnymen LP.

I'm a big fan of the original albums (Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here are my favourite) and saw them play Bournemouth in March. Was a good show.

Enjoyed Brussels is Haunted however have heard that Will Sergeant has had little to no involvement in recording whatsoever.


After saying I’d happily give my thoughts on Apples For Isaac I had a crisis of confidence as whilst I like the band I’m not a massive fan, my favourite lp of theirs is Siberia which is very late in their career as it came out in about 2005

Nothing worse than reading an ill informed review but I’ll listen to it and give my thoughts, hope I like it

Might also add in my opinion of the new Beck lp that’s also out on Friday. I have a greater knowledge of his back catalogue and the new record is in the same vein as Sea Change and Morning Phase which I think are his two greatest pieces of work
[Post edited 16 Sep 10:16]

Fail we may, sail we must

0
Login to get fewer ads

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 11:53 - Sep 16 with 836 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 23:00 - Sep 14 by franniesTache

A few years back when myself and nickso19 were the bette noirs of the Southampton social media scene (mostly in the form of outright nicking a load of content from fanzines like on the march and the ugly) we floated the idea of doing a paper one again, sadly it never got anywhere.

Mind you I’m not sure how it would go down with the younger fans these days. The humour in the game/terraces has changed massively and people get really easily offended out of things that were just a laugh back in the day.

Stuff like OTM’s “fat bloke in a replica shirt”, a direct lift I did of the “skin him danny” cartoon where Wallace was literally skinning a man on the halfway line, and even the ins and outs, sent out online/younger fans into an absolute rage, and even had some calling for us to be banned from st Mary’s.

Shame really as I loved the fanzine growing up. Them and the music mags and fashion mags really shaped my cultural life and made football about so much more than football


As you imply, I think the right audience is old people, well, that's us now. Grab a fanzine and flick through with a drink and laugh at some "inappropriate" humour.

All the kids (i.e. <18) get all their content from social media and it's short and sharp. I just watch my son's viewing habits and we have a few younger teens around in St Marys and they all seem much the same. The 20-30ish lot seem to be the most humourless all round.

I think I still have some fanzines in the garage - I've definitely got some Beautiful South and some Ugly Insides, I need to dig them out. I think I've got a few Middlesbrough ones (FMTM I think??) - don't ask ....

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 21:55 - Sep 16 with 734 viewsshotters

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 23:58 - Sep 14 by franniesTache

Ajá monet is spoken word to music produced and arranged by Meshell Ndegeocello who you might know?

Soarklmami is a vocalist who’s more on the spiritual jazz style


And Brian Jackson is probably most famous for his work with gill Scott heron. He wrote the bottle with him amongst others, but his latest lp is produced by the masters at work


Just seen this, you going?
https://www.royalalberthall.co

Fail we may, sail we must

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 22:05 - Sep 16 with 715 viewsSaintNick

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 21:55 - Sep 16 by shotters

Just seen this, you going?
https://www.royalalberthall.co


He hasn't got The Bottle

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 09:29 - Sep 17 with 608 viewsfranniesTache

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 21:55 - Sep 16 by shotters

Just seen this, you going?
https://www.royalalberthall.co


Sadly not trying to move house at the moment so can't really commit to much, means i'm even missing saints games which is annoying. Off to St Etienne tomorrow night as i booked it last year but i'm probably out of gigs for a bit.

Been looking at the line ups at the new Blue Note venue in London with interest though, some cracking people playing there
0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 10:18 - Sep 17 with 575 viewsshotters

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 09:29 - Sep 17 by franniesTache

Sadly not trying to move house at the moment so can't really commit to much, means i'm even missing saints games which is annoying. Off to St Etienne tomorrow night as i booked it last year but i'm probably out of gigs for a bit.

Been looking at the line ups at the new Blue Note venue in London with interest though, some cracking people playing there


We went to see St Etienne last Friday, they were excellent
Good support for them tomorrow, Gwenno and Mozart Estate (I doubt you’ll like them, but Lawrence is an interesting character)

A trip to the blue note would be a sole venture, my missus has a really broad musical taste but draws the line at jazz. She’s got us tickets to see The Cinematic Orchestra at St Paul’s Cathedral at the end of October, mainly as a birthday present for me as they’re not a massive favourite of hers

That and Michael Head in December will be it for us this year
She really wants to see Oasis, preferably in Glasgow, not that fussed myself but if I ticket falls into my hands then I’ll go, I can tie in another visit to the Paninaro shop if nothing else

Fail we may, sail we must

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 11:32 - Sep 17 with 542 viewsWints76

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 10:18 - Sep 17 by shotters

We went to see St Etienne last Friday, they were excellent
Good support for them tomorrow, Gwenno and Mozart Estate (I doubt you’ll like them, but Lawrence is an interesting character)

A trip to the blue note would be a sole venture, my missus has a really broad musical taste but draws the line at jazz. She’s got us tickets to see The Cinematic Orchestra at St Paul’s Cathedral at the end of October, mainly as a birthday present for me as they’re not a massive favourite of hers

That and Michael Head in December will be it for us this year
She really wants to see Oasis, preferably in Glasgow, not that fussed myself but if I ticket falls into my hands then I’ll go, I can tie in another visit to the Paninaro shop if nothing else


I had forgotten that Mozart Estate were supporting tomorrow. Think may be supporting The Coral as well. And probably Michael Head. He is certainly a character... We'll arrange a beer at that Michael Head gig. Where will you be travelling from?

I want Oasis tickets so my two boys can go. If I go as well, great, but want them to go more

I was in Glasgow the other week. I didn't know there was Paninaro shop. Probably just as well
0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 12:21 - Sep 17 with 518 viewsshotters

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 11:32 - Sep 17 by Wints76

I had forgotten that Mozart Estate were supporting tomorrow. Think may be supporting The Coral as well. And probably Michael Head. He is certainly a character... We'll arrange a beer at that Michael Head gig. Where will you be travelling from?

I want Oasis tickets so my two boys can go. If I go as well, great, but want them to go more

I was in Glasgow the other week. I didn't know there was Paninaro shop. Probably just as well


Yes mate, we’ll be coming up from Haslemere and having drinks and food in the west end before heading to Shepherd’s Bush, we went in The Sindercombe Social on Friday which was a nice boozer
I’m sure we’ll speak about it nearer the time and I think Nick said he’s going too

Really wanted to go to that Coral gig but Mrs S’s sister and brother in law will be over from New Zealand and staying with us so I’ve been told I can’t slope off to London

The Paninaro shop is in Queen Street off Trongate, went in last spring when we went to see Mogwai at The Barrowland, was expecting to see some 50 somethings blokes and have a long conversation about trainers, but there was a pretty disinterested girl in her 20’s, she did give me a really good deal on an Andrew Weatherall t-shirt though

Fail we may, sail we must

0
Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 13:12 - Sep 17 with 487 viewsfranniesTache

Fanzine- The Story Of Britains Alternative Press on 10:18 - Sep 17 by shotters

We went to see St Etienne last Friday, they were excellent
Good support for them tomorrow, Gwenno and Mozart Estate (I doubt you’ll like them, but Lawrence is an interesting character)

A trip to the blue note would be a sole venture, my missus has a really broad musical taste but draws the line at jazz. She’s got us tickets to see The Cinematic Orchestra at St Paul’s Cathedral at the end of October, mainly as a birthday present for me as they’re not a massive favourite of hers

That and Michael Head in December will be it for us this year
She really wants to see Oasis, preferably in Glasgow, not that fussed myself but if I ticket falls into my hands then I’ll go, I can tie in another visit to the Paninaro shop if nothing else


the new blue note obviously has jazz but it's also got some really great neo-soul too. Erykah Badu is playing there, as is Common and also the brand new heavies.

I'd actually love to see Shabaka who's playing there but it's around my missus birthday and she's got no interest in it so it's a no can do sadly
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026