Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone cross? 12:38 - Dec 14 with 1665 viewsWestbourneR

Was thinking last night - we haven't a properly good crosser of the ball since Lee Cook and we haven't had a full back who can cross since The Bard.

I think it's been a major part of our problems this season.

All our potential wide midfielders - Adel, Hoillett, Mackie, SWP, Park - can't whip a ball in. And some of them can't put any type of ball in.

Hughes was threrefore relying on the full backs and Jose Bosingwa is as bad at crossing as Bradley Orr.

Armand Traore can cross but not totally consistently. Taiwo could cross and we didn't keep him.

So a lot of play comes down to a bombing on full back crossing the ball who can't really cross that well. I think it's why we rarely look dangerous going forward.

Wigan showed how important it is to have someone like Beausejour who can put quality balls into the box.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Can anyone cross? on 12:41 - Dec 14 with 1656 viewsklr

This has been a problem for a few years & it hasnt been addressed.

I remember I used to pull my hair out when we had the ridiculous policy of fielding such "full backs" as Chris Barker, Damien Delaney, Peter Ramage etc etc.

Being a Fullback nowadays is or should be an attacking position, as a full back you should be able to cross as well as a winger.
Can anyone cross? on 12:44 - Dec 14 with 1647 viewsLewes_r

Get Beckham in for Corners and crosses!

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Can anyone cross? on 12:50 - Dec 14 with 1637 viewsEastR

That JC was reasonably good with crosses, even if he needed a hand on occasion

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Can anyone cross? on 12:52 - Dec 14 with 1632 viewsKrakow

I would be tempted to move/try Traore on the left midfield to see how he does.
Can anyone cross? on 13:19 - Dec 14 with 1609 viewsAntti_Heinola

Can anyone cross? on 12:52 - Dec 14 by Krakow

I would be tempted to move/try Traore on the left midfield to see how he does.

Traore is a superb crosser of the ball. Almost always gets it in a very decent area. I love Bard, one of my favourite ever players, but his crosses weren't that great. Fair percentage, I suppose. Better than most we've had for years! Gino whipped some good balls in. Adel does too.

Bare bones.

Can anyone cross? on 13:23 - Dec 14 with 1603 viewsTheBlob

Last time?Danny Parejo weren't bad.Ephraim is supposed to be a winger,give him a try.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Can anyone cross? on 13:23 - Dec 14 with 1602 viewsNorthernr

Traore slings a nice ball over when he's in the mood - Mackie at Man City, Helguson at Stoke.

Taiwo put a fantastic ball in for Cisse v Liverpool last season, but then we got rid of him so we could loan a Man Utd player in who never plays
Can anyone cross? on 13:27 - Dec 14 with 1596 viewsNorthernr

Mentioning Bardsley - I remember a goal we got against Ipswich at the Loft End where we strung 12 passes together through midfield with Wilkins, Wilson etc then Bardsley drew his foot back from midway inside the Ipswich half and arrowed a ball 50 yards diagonally across the field towards the far post and delivered it so perfectly - right height, right pace, dropping at just the right time - that Devon White was able to just move onto it, meet it and direct it into the postage stamp top corner from 12 yards out without even breaking stride. Fcking epic goal, one of my all time favourites.
Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone cross? on 13:35 - Dec 14 with 1586 viewsR_from_afar

Can anyone cross? on 13:23 - Dec 14 by Northernr

Traore slings a nice ball over when he's in the mood - Mackie at Man City, Helguson at Stoke.

Taiwo put a fantastic ball in for Cisse v Liverpool last season, but then we got rid of him so we could loan a Man Utd player in who never plays

...and who isn't very good defensively anyway (Fabio that is).

Fabio

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Can anyone cross? on 13:40 - Dec 14 with 1575 viewsbaz_qpr

Can anyone cross? on 13:35 - Dec 14 by R_from_afar

...and who isn't very good defensively anyway (Fabio that is).

Fabio

Don't get me started - and exactly the right sort of full back to have behind Adel.

Adel can cross by the way, he and Traore are the only two that really can with the odd decent ones from Granero and Diakete. Problem is we only ever seem to have one player in the box so the cross has always got to be pinpoint to hit the one QPR player in with the four opposition defenders
Can anyone cross? on 13:41 - Dec 14 with 1574 viewsAntti_Heinola

Can anyone cross? on 13:27 - Dec 14 by Northernr

Mentioning Bardsley - I remember a goal we got against Ipswich at the Loft End where we strung 12 passes together through midfield with Wilkins, Wilson etc then Bardsley drew his foot back from midway inside the Ipswich half and arrowed a ball 50 yards diagonally across the field towards the far post and delivered it so perfectly - right height, right pace, dropping at just the right time - that Devon White was able to just move onto it, meet it and direct it into the postage stamp top corner from 12 yards out without even breaking stride. Fcking epic goal, one of my all time favourites.

Well remembered. Superb goal that - in a 3-0 win? Second half demolition job? I wrote that score in the condensation of our back door window when I got in. As we didn't clean the winders much back then, it reappeared there whenever it was a bit cold outside and a bit warm inside. Loved that game. Turned up 10 mins late and had to push myself up on a bar at the back of the Loft to see the ball whenever we attacked in the 2nd half.

Bare bones.

Can anyone cross? on 13:59 - Dec 14 with 1546 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just thought of another great crosser: Tom Williams. Always picked the right moment to get it across the front of the goal.

Bare bones.

Can anyone cross? on 13:59 - Dec 14 with 1545 viewsLewes_r

I thought Ledesma played some very nice balls against Swans earlier this week...

Can anyone cross? on 14:00 - Dec 14 with 1544 viewsLewes_r

Can anyone cross? on 13:59 - Dec 14 by Antti_Heinola

Just thought of another great crosser: Tom Williams. Always picked the right moment to get it across the front of the goal.

Can anyone cross? on 16:28 - Dec 14 with 1459 viewsloftus77

Can anyone cross? on 13:59 - Dec 14 by Antti_Heinola

Still hurts...
Can anyone cross? on 16:35 - Dec 14 with 1451 viewsClive_Anderson

I think some of our crosses have looked worse than they are because we've had absolutely no one in the box when they came in.

Also those on the wing have to do about 50 step overs waiting for support in the middle eg. Boswinga dancing about for 20 minutes a few weeks ago
Can anyone cross? on 16:40 - Dec 14 with 1444 viewsClive_Anderson

Also I remember Orr putting in a good cross against us for Blackburn last season if that helps.
Can anyone cross? on 20:08 - Dec 14 with 1402 viewsPeterHucker

Kevin McLeod may not have been the best player we've had in recent years but he was a superb crosser of the ball. From the same era, Gino Padula and Richard Langley also.
Andy Sinton is the best crosser I've seen though.
Back in his day we had 4 great crossers in the team, Sinton Impey Bardsley and Wilson.
No wonder Gerry liked to play with a big guy up front. (Les, Devon White, Garry Thompson, even Darren Peacock sometimes).
Can anyone cross? on 20:23 - Dec 14 with 1391 viewsOakR

At some point in the Championship we played Adel on the right for a bit - I remember him putting in some unbelievable crosses. Playing him on the left does not quite give him the same opportunity in the way he whips it in.

Anyway, we play through the middle so who needs crosses!

Poll: Will we stay up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024