Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on todays game 23:56 - Sep 11 with 3686 viewsA1079

Woke up this morning and wondered whether I could face the long trip from East Yorkshire and really be that bothered. Decided to go for it and left it a bit tight but apart from the traffic down the Avenue did it in fairly good time.

At 2:45 I noticed there was still long queues at entrance D and some of the others but I got in pretty easy and straight-forward.

Quite alot of empty seats. Unusual for a West Ham game at home at 3pm on a Saturday.

My take on the game itself.

The first half barely warrants a mention. A supine dull uneventful half with a couple of half chances but not alot to talk about. I doubt either set of fans were that impressed. We held West Ham well but what was frustrating was on a couple of breaks that looked like on we reverted to sideways and back - it was as if we were playing safe rather than adventurous. I don't recall a West Ham shot in the first half but there may have been one that I missed.

The second half was better without being a spectacle. West Ham started looking stronger without hurting us. Nick will have a nightmare writing a verdict because our defence and McCarthy (who I have often criticised) did everything that you could have asked of them. They kept Antonio in their pockets and on the couple of occasions that a West Ham goal looked likely McCarthy produced 2 excellent saves/stops.

So what of our team. Some slightly odd selections again and there were long periods in the game where it felt we were happy to settle for a point. Armstrong and Elyounoussi as a pairing offered little as an attacking force but I actually thought the latter would be the one substituted but I have to say the introduction of Broja who I personally think should have started the second half changed the game and gave West Ham more to think about. Elyounoussi and Broja actually linked up well. Broja was unlucky not to score say for a crossbar and off the line save by Rice. Which brings me onto our attack overall - not specifically any one player - if we gained points for hitting a crossbar, post or keeper we would be near the top of the league but when it comes to the space between the keeper and the goal infrastructure we seem unable to hit it with any confidence. You could argue that against Man U, Newcastle and today our attack has cost us valuable points. But, Broja looks really good and needs to be introduced more.

Livramento played well as usual but often seemed a one man force without other players being tuned in. He is at a different level to so many other players. Salisu, Stephens and Perraud all played well as mentioned. JWP (who I have rarely criticised) was pretty poor today. He was pretty ineffective. His overall play was lacking anything of note and his corners were poor apart from one. At times it seemed like we did not have a midfield and that could have been costly.

Djenepo - what to make of him - for effort, hard work and endeavour you could not complain. He gives his all and you would give an 8 out of 10. But for composure in the final third - I would struggle to give a single point. Redmond was back to his usual self. He made some good runs but again in the final third he made little impact.

I am struggling to understand why Tella and KWP are not figuring at the moment. I can see them becoming restless.

There were times today when I looked at our play and thought amongst it all there are some good players and we have the making of a good squad. There were patches of good football and real hope (similar to the Man U and Newcastle games). But equally our passing to feet is poor at times and it seems like we want to walk it into the box by which time the opposition are all back in position. I cannot actually recall our last PL league win home or away and that has to be a real worry because I am struggling to see where a win will come at the moment. We need to be quicker and less pedestrian when we have the ball and our passing has to improve in the final third. I think it is Wolves next at home and we really need to win that assuming we are going to lose at City.

West Ham were very average today or we made them average. That is the frustrating thing. Yes they have been flying high and started the season well but I felt we should and could have beaten them.

Final word about the support. Despite the lack of a full stadium I am detecting a different and altogether better atmosphere with the fans that are going. I felt the fans got behind the team even when the players were not exactly setting the play alight.

I am not sure the cost of the ticket, travel and the amount of time in the car was really worth all the effort but I have seen worse games and it is 3 games unbeaten in the league!
My take on todays game on 07:26 - Sep 12 with 3022 viewssaint22

An astute and accurate post as always
Agree keeper and defence played excellently today
For me Tino needs to play RM with KWP behind him and a Tella gas to start ahead of Redmond and/or Djenepo
Armstrong had a tough time today, seemed to playing alone up front, I think he and Broja will make a good two
As for Broja has to start. He gives us height strength and pace which we lack, has a bit of Pelle about him
My take on todays game on 08:19 - Sep 12 with 2966 viewssaintwizzler

Great opening post.
4-1-4-1 was a strange formation to play against WHU.
Jazz Hands should of took off Redmond or Djenepo for Broja and gone 4-4-2 not Armstrong.
But what do I know!?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

My take on todays game on 11:49 - Sep 12 with 2794 viewsDorsetIan

It was one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever watched. How many unforced errors or misplaced passes to bring promising attacks to nothing? It was ridiculous.

But we’re playing better than at the end of last season. We look much more solid, and when Armstrong comes back the attacking play will improve.

Good subs for once too. Diallo was an improvement on Romeu (who looks sluggish) and Broja now looks like a good signing.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

My take on todays game on 12:15 - Sep 12 with 2772 viewsVeloSaint

My take on todays game on 08:19 - Sep 12 by saintwizzler

Great opening post.
4-1-4-1 was a strange formation to play against WHU.
Jazz Hands should of took off Redmond or Djenepo for Broja and gone 4-4-2 not Armstrong.
But what do I know!?

Disagree, taking a man out of midfield would have handed them a big advantage, let's not forget they were dominating possession. It was a tricky game and one of those where a moment of genuine quality was likely to win it. A 20yr old loanee almost provided it.
My take on todays game on 12:24 - Sep 12 with 2760 viewsPoirot

Formation was better for defence, but offered nothing upfront for Armstrong on his own. That wasnt helped by redmond and djenepo, who both arnt good enough for premier league. Armstrong missing from midfield has been notable. Broja looks promising for goals.
My take on todays game on 13:16 - Sep 12 with 2719 viewscocklebreath

Armstrong was totally isolated first half, if he did manage to get the ball he had no one to help him and I thought Tino was frustrated with the lack of movement. Romeu was poor as was Redmond. Djenepo improved 2nd half but 1st half it was like we were playing with 3 full backs. The real positive we’re the centre backs and Broja who looks like a top player.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

My take on todays game on 14:36 - Sep 12 with 2683 viewssaintwizzler

My take on todays game on 12:15 - Sep 12 by VeloSaint

Disagree, taking a man out of midfield would have handed them a big advantage, let's not forget they were dominating possession. It was a tricky game and one of those where a moment of genuine quality was likely to win it. A 20yr old loanee almost provided it.

Settle for a draw then?

We should be beating the likes of West Ham at home if we are to stay up.

My take on todays game on 15:48 - Sep 12 with 2643 viewsBerber

I would say Elyounoussi was the biggest let down yesterday. Apart from a couple of link ups with Djennepo late on, he hardly contributed anything positive, lost the ball far too often and did very little to support Armstrong. Djeneppo and Redmond both had moments when they could have made a real difference, and whilst it was frustrating that they dither too much, they did at least get into that position.

I thought Perraud was quietly effective, and definitely the better option than trying to squeeze KWP in there.
Login to get fewer ads

My take on todays game on 16:02 - Sep 12 with 2627 viewscocklebreath

One thing I noticed in the 1st half is how advanced JWP was, at times he was probably the closest to Armstrong.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

My take on todays game on 16:18 - Sep 12 with 2617 viewsRon11

My take on todays game on 14:36 - Sep 12 by saintwizzler

Settle for a draw then?

Should not be settling for a draw or just keeping the likes of West Ham out.

They've signed some excellent players in Broja, Armstrong, Livramento Perraud etc.
But - the tactics are seem to be the same as those which frustrated Ings. And now it's Armstrong not getting a sniff of the ball, just like Ings but as usual Redmond and Djenepo doing a lot of running but creating absolutely nothing. As has been said elsewhere, play Walker Peters at right back and Livramento on the right of midfield. Leave Redmond on the bench, start with Tella, ....
Three draws suggest that we have some great players....but still no goals. That's down to Ralph.
I still think it's time for a change of manager. As someone also said, Bielsa he is not.
My take on todays game on 16:24 - Sep 12 with 2614 viewsBicester_North

My take on todays game on 16:18 - Sep 12 by Ron11

They've signed some excellent players in Broja, Armstrong, Livramento Perraud etc.
But - the tactics are seem to be the same as those which frustrated Ings. And now it's Armstrong not getting a sniff of the ball, just like Ings but as usual Redmond and Djenepo doing a lot of running but creating absolutely nothing. As has been said elsewhere, play Walker Peters at right back and Livramento on the right of midfield. Leave Redmond on the bench, start with Tella, ....
Three draws suggest that we have some great players....but still no goals. That's down to Ralph.
I still think it's time for a change of manager. As someone also said, Bielsa he is not.

I think when the fixtures came out nobody was expecting more than about one point from the first 5 games, they are all historical bogey fixtures, mostly against big spending teams, so I reckon we’re at least 2 points better off than predicted.

Let’s see how we get on against the likes of Wolves, Leeds, Burnley at home, Watford and Norwich away, by the end of November we should have a much clearer picture.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

My take on todays game on 16:45 - Sep 12 with 2587 viewsVeloSaint

My take on todays game on 14:36 - Sep 12 by saintwizzler

Settle for a draw then?

Just my opinion in but if we had gone 2 up top they'd have over run us in midfield. Ralph has gone attack minded like that in the past late in games and its cost us. West Ham were a very good side last season and have spent again in the summer, matching them up was sensible and using the bench well almost won the game.
My take on todays game on 16:54 - Sep 12 with 2567 viewsVeloSaint

https://the72.co.uk/250164/southampton-want-ex-swansea-city-boss-steve-cooper-as
My take on todays game on 17:50 - Sep 12 with 2530 viewssaint22

Exactly this
We now have options to make us a better team and Ralph still seems to make odd (or wrong) selections and positional choices
The one up top didn’t work that’s for sure
Tella should be starting
My take on todays game on 18:18 - Sep 12 with 2511 viewsSaintsforeverj

My take on todays game on 17:50 - Sep 12 by saint22

Exactly this
We now have options to make us a better team and Ralph still seems to make odd (or wrong) selections and positional choices
The one up top didn’t work that’s for sure
Tella should be starting

No we should not be changing the manager. We played very well against a great Man U team and nearly beat them. We played very well against a great West Ham team and nearly won. Last year we lost to both those teams. Ralph is sorting out the defence as everyone demanded. Change the manager and you may get a Bruce, a Puel or a Pellegrino. Ralph has kept us up without having ANY money to spend. It's early days, we are looking pretty decent actually, so don't understand why anyone is upset. Ralph is doing a very good job.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 18:19]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

My take on todays game on 18:53 - Sep 12 with 2482 viewsChesham_Saint

My take on todays game on 18:18 - Sep 12 by Saintsforeverj

No we should not be changing the manager. We played very well against a great Man U team and nearly beat them. We played very well against a great West Ham team and nearly won. Last year we lost to both those teams. Ralph is sorting out the defence as everyone demanded. Change the manager and you may get a Bruce, a Puel or a Pellegrino. Ralph has kept us up without having ANY money to spend. It's early days, we are looking pretty decent actually, so don't understand why anyone is upset. Ralph is doing a very good job.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 18:19]

I’m beginning to have some doubts about Ralph (particularly his treatment of KWP) but you’re right, it would be wrong to ditch him now.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

My take on todays game on 19:16 - Sep 12 with 2462 viewsSaintsforeverj

My take on todays game on 18:53 - Sep 12 by Chesham_Saint

I’m beginning to have some doubts about Ralph (particularly his treatment of KWP) but you’re right, it would be wrong to ditch him now.

We need to get KWP in the team, I agree as we don't want to lose such a good player because he gets fed up not playing and wants to leave. We can see why Livramento is in though, as he is excellent. Playing them both should be the answer. But we are currently 14th which is fine in my opinion, for a team that sold its best players and has 20 million net not spent. It's very early days and the performances have been good, against top teams. Ralph has not had any money to spend, so let's see how we get on. He has gone more defensive, understandably so. if not for hitting the post yesterday, we would have got a one nil win against a top team. Yet nobody seems to be giving praise. We were conceding a hatful, now we arn't. We might not be quite so adventurous but we have got results against teams we didn't get anything from last year.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 19:25]

My take on todays game on 20:15 - Sep 12 with 2414 viewssaintwizzler

My take on todays game on 19:16 - Sep 12 by Saintsforeverj

We need to get KWP in the team, I agree as we don't want to lose such a good player because he gets fed up not playing and wants to leave. We can see why Livramento is in though, as he is excellent. Playing them both should be the answer. But we are currently 14th which is fine in my opinion, for a team that sold its best players and has 20 million net not spent. It's very early days and the performances have been good, against top teams. Ralph has not had any money to spend, so let's see how we get on. He has gone more defensive, understandably so. if not for hitting the post yesterday, we would have got a one nil win against a top team. Yet nobody seems to be giving praise. We were conceding a hatful, now we arn't. We might not be quite so adventurous but we have got results against teams we didn't get anything from last year.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 19:25]

Drawing 0-0 at home against West Ham doesn’t excite me, sorry.

My take on todays game on 20:21 - Sep 12 with 2406 viewsSaintsforeverj

My take on todays game on 20:15 - Sep 12 by saintwizzler

Drawing 0-0 at home against West Ham doesn’t excite me, sorry.

More exciting than last year's defeat. And they finished 6th last year and have spent 150 million more than us. It's not a bad result at all. If it doesn't excite you, well that's the reality under this owner. We arn't a Man United and that's the reality. And I was at the game yesterday. It was a good game. The team gave their all.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:23]

My take on todays game on 20:46 - Sep 12 with 2371 viewssaintwizzler

My take on todays game on 20:21 - Sep 12 by Saintsforeverj

More exciting than last year's defeat. And they finished 6th last year and have spent 150 million more than us. It's not a bad result at all. If it doesn't excite you, well that's the reality under this owner. We arn't a Man United and that's the reality. And I was at the game yesterday. It was a good game. The team gave their all.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:23]

I was there too. The team did well yes.
As we did at Newcastle.
I still think it’s two points dropped yesterday.
Everyone in the league would look to be getting 3 points against West Ham.
Nice to get a clean sheet.
2 free hits versus City & Chelsea on the horizon.
Now I would be excited with a 0-0 against them!
Wolves at home in between. That’s another game we need three points in.
I would be unhappy if that finished 0-0.

My take on todays game on 21:22 - Sep 12 with 2341 viewsSaintsforeverj

My take on todays game on 20:46 - Sep 12 by saintwizzler

As we did at Newcastle.

That's football isn't it. We hit the post, had it cleared off the line, that's the way it goes. West Ham beat Leicester 4 1 and are unbeaten. They finished 6th last year. Not sure that they are so bad we expect to beat them. And not sure how you think we should beat them when every other team hasn't this year. Newcastle and Leicester got thrashed by them! It would be nice yes to beat them but they haven't lost all year yet, so i.dont think a draw is too bad. As it turned it out, we played well and nearly won. We hope we can start scoring and turn the draws into wins. We have a much better chance if we stop conceding. I would expect to beat Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley, Brentford, Watford but West Ham are a good side.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 21:36]

My take on todays game on 11:45 - Sep 13 with 2142 viewsBerber

My take on todays game on 20:46 - Sep 12 by saintwizzler

As we did at Newcastle.

Most teams would expect to beat Wham? Fine as a mildly whacky individual opinion, but really? They won 9 and drew 4 of their away games last season and are unbeaten in all games this season. Antonio usually kebabs our CBs. Saturday was a fine defensive performance, so no complaints from me.
My take on todays game on 12:16 - Sep 13 with 2129 viewssaintwizzler

My take on todays game on 11:45 - Sep 13 by Berber

Most teams would expect to beat Wham? Fine as a mildly whacky individual opinion, but really? They won 9 and drew 4 of their away games last season and are unbeaten in all games this season. Antonio usually kebabs our CBs. Saturday was a fine defensive performance, so no complaints from me.

It’s West Ham.
They had a good season last year yes as did Leicester but I’d be looking at 3 points at home against both of them.
I would of took a point before the game against Man Utd and was pleased with it.
But I still think it’s 2 points dropped against them at home.

It’s West Ham.
They were no better than us on Saturday.
Have we dropped that far down we should be happy with a point at home against them!!??

My take on todays game on 12:56 - Sep 13 with 2111 viewsBicester_North

My take on todays game on 12:16 - Sep 13 by saintwizzler

It’s West Ham.
They had a good season last year yes as did Leicester but I’d be looking at 3 points at home against both of them.
I would of took a point before the game against Man Utd and was pleased with it.
But I still think it’s 2 points dropped against them at home.

It’s West Ham.
They were no better than us on Saturday.
Have we dropped that far down we should be happy with a point at home against them!!??

Since we got back up, our record against them at home is W2 D4 L3

They spend loads more money than us. Our odds were about 2/1 to win with most bookies and most “pundits” or tipping sites tipped us to lose.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

My take on todays game on 13:16 - Sep 13 with 2090 viewssaintwizzler

My take on todays game on 12:56 - Sep 13 by Bicester_North

Since we got back up, our record against them at home is W2 D4 L3

They spend loads more money than us. Our odds were about 2/1 to win with most bookies and most “pundits” or tipping sites tipped us to lose.

So you would of took a point against them before the start?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024