Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane Long 11:11 - Apr 18 with 1851 viewsSaintNick

Is he worth another years contract, he will be on far less than the current one given his age, but he is still doing a job as a closer at the end of the game, coming on for the last 10 minutes or so and defending from the front .

That was shown with the last kick of the game on Saturday, he charged down ramsdales clearance for a throw in the the referee blew the final whistle , if the clearance had gone upfield to the edge of the penalty box, would the ref have blown or waited for the ball to be in a neutral position, few refs blow for time when the ball is in a dangerous position, we should not underestimate that block by Long.

It is a squad game, not everyone in it has to be of the level to play 38 games a season or even 90 minutes, we are using Long now in the right way, to close out games and make sure the defenders can't build momentum when we clear the ball.

He has done it on quite a few occasions this season and we have stopped letting in so many late goals

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Shane Long on 11:17 - Apr 18 with 1840 viewsdwayne_dibley

Long is worth another year, he runs, blocks, dives and annoys the hell out of defenders

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Shane Long on 17:00 - Apr 18 with 1739 views1teeminants

No get rid of Long,Stephens,Walcott ,Djenepo and Redmond who are simply not premier league standard and if we are to improve and not finish mid table or lower forever we need to replace them with good young, affordable talent.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Shane Long on 17:22 - Apr 18 with 1720 viewsTripleNiemi

I like Longy but the fundamental question should be what could we do with his wages should we decide not extend. As you suggest, he may not be offered a high sum to stay on further, but until we know of the owners intentions those monies could be crucial in other areas. As it stands (being early days) we have no idea if they will release any more funds than Gao.

Heart says keep but sadly my head is leaning the other way.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Shane Long on 18:53 - Apr 18 with 1629 viewspjt50

Shane Long on 17:00 - Apr 18 by 1teeminants

No get rid of Long,Stephens,Walcott ,Djenepo and Redmond who are simply not premier league standard and if we are to improve and not finish mid table or lower forever we need to replace them with good young, affordable talent.

Easier said than done.

Tino was very much the exception in that he was ready to go straight into the first team. More likely they'll need a year to get up to speed — if they do at all. You certainly wouldn't want to pitch youngsters into a (God forbid) relegation struggle.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Shane Long on 20:18 - Apr 18 with 1577 views1teeminants

Shane Long on 18:53 - Apr 18 by pjt50

Easier said than done.

Tino was very much the exception in that he was ready to go straight into the first team. More likely they'll need a year to get up to speed — if they do at all. You certainly wouldn't want to pitch youngsters into a (God forbid) relegation struggle.

If your’re good enough age doesn’t really matter I don’t think eg Bale ,Shaw ,Walcott ,Broja ,Tino ,all kids starting out for us .A certain kid called Shearer did ok on his debut 😃 . Obviuosly you don’t want the whole team full of kids but all the signs suggest( thinking of the last window and remarks made by the new owner)we will be targeting young talent.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 20:31]

Shane Long on 21:23 - Apr 18 with 1511 viewspjt50

Shane Long on 20:18 - Apr 18 by 1teeminants

If your’re good enough age doesn’t really matter I don’t think eg Bale ,Shaw ,Walcott ,Broja ,Tino ,all kids starting out for us .A certain kid called Shearer did ok on his debut 😃 . Obviuosly you don’t want the whole team full of kids but all the signs suggest( thinking of the last window and remarks made by the new owner)we will be targeting young talent.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 20:31]

True, but I think the first three made their debuts when we were still in the Championship & they'd already been on our books, as had Shearer.

I know the club likes to build us up as the place where youngsters are given a chance, but the reality is that we're competing for ready young talent with a load of other clubs. We can target them but it doesn't mean we'll get them.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Shane Long on 22:17 - Apr 18 with 1474 views1teeminants

Shane Long on 21:23 - Apr 18 by pjt50

True, but I think the first three made their debuts when we were still in the Championship & they'd already been on our books, as had Shearer.

I know the club likes to build us up as the place where youngsters are given a chance, but the reality is that we're competing for ready young talent with a load of other clubs. We can target them but it doesn't mean we'll get them.

Yes I agree there will be others after them and it doesn’t mean we’ll get them as you say but young players know they will get a good chance to shine at Southampton as opposed to some other clubs.

Shane Long on 22:19 - Apr 18 with 1472 viewsI_would

Long will probably fall over himself to get a deal done.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Shane Long on 22:45 - Apr 18 with 1435 viewsdirk_doone

Shane Long on 22:19 - Apr 18 by I_would

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Shane Long on 22:51 - Apr 18 with 1424 viewsdarthvader

Shane Long on 22:19 - Apr 18 by I_would

I think he would jump like a Salmon at the chance

keep the faith coyr

Shane Long on 12:40 - Apr 19 with 1254 viewsSaintNick

You miss the point with Long, he does a specific job, one that comes with experience, he isnt blocking younger players coming through, he is there when we need to close down the last 10-15 minutes of a game, you would rather lond did that than Tella or Djenepo

Shane Long on 13:04 - Apr 19 with 1226 viewsMytchettSaint

Shane Long on 12:40 - Apr 19 by SaintNick

You miss the point with Long, he does a specific job, one that comes with experience, he isnt blocking younger players coming through, he is there when we need to close down the last 10-15 minutes of a game, you would rather lond did that than Tella or Djenepo

He does that particular job but in times where budgets are squeezed, does that really warrant another deal? Is there nobody else that could do that role? If we are stuck with Th£o for another season, could he not do that? Freeing up Longs wages for other areas?

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Shane Long on 13:18 - Apr 19 with 1215 viewsSaintNick

Shane Long on 13:04 - Apr 19 by MytchettSaint

He does that particular job but in times where budgets are squeezed, does that really warrant another deal? Is there nobody else that could do that role? If we are stuck with Th£o for another season, could he not do that? Freeing up Longs wages for other areas?

Its all about diversity, there is no one who can hold the ball up as Shane Long can, its not just about running around anc chasing, it is about reading the game and knowing how to get in front of a man and draw a foul

Shane Long on 13:46 - Apr 19 with 1182 viewsDorsetIan

Shane Long on 13:18 - Apr 19 by SaintNick

Its all about diversity, there is no one who can hold the ball up as Shane Long can, its not just about running around anc chasing, it is about reading the game and knowing how to get in front of a man and draw a foul

He's also one of the only players who can beat defenders to a high long ball.

Late in the game when we need to relieve some pressure and get the ball and the play to the other end of the pitch, we don't have a better player.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Shane Long on 13:59 - Apr 19 with 1161 views1teeminants

You can’t have a premier league player in your squad just because he runs around a lot. I wonder how many other premier league teams would want him ? I like him but he isn’t a premier league player.

Shane Long on 17:35 - Apr 19 with 1063 views1teeminants

Shane Long on 13:18 - Apr 19 by SaintNick

He’s been good for us over the years but time to move on and try and get to the next level. The Shane Longs of this world won’t get us there. the next level is Wolves,Leicester, West Ham etc teams that we used to be on a par with or maybe some are quite happy to be mid table or lower.I remember you always used to quote if you play the same players in the same way you’ll get the same results.

Shane Long on 16:53 - Apr 20 with 906 viewsTimSaint

So if he is only going to feature for 10-15 mins per game, would he accept a one year contract with a 75% wage cut ?

TimSaint

Shane Long on 19:28 - Apr 22 with 793 viewsMrangry25

absolutely spot on.
Shane Long on 08:13 - Apr 23 with 689 viewssaintwizzler

Shane Long on 16:53 - Apr 20 by TimSaint

So if he is only going to feature for 10-15 mins per game, would he accept a one year contract with a 75% wage cut ?

This.

Same as people laughing at Ings not getting in Villa’s team.
He’s the one laughing. Sat on his arse earning £50k a week more than we offered.
£150k a week. 😯

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024