Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking 10:20 - Jul 22 with 1784 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/58036/sékou-mara-v-ar

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 10:40 - Jul 22 with 1724 viewssaints__fan__73

You're less subtle than Pravda Nick!

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:05 - Jul 22 with 1698 viewsPatfromPoole

Was just mulling over which group could form the background theme as a basis for discussion on this thread.

I have never smoked, but I feel that after reading the article I could do with some cigarettes and alcohol.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:35 - Jul 22 with 1645 viewsdarthvader

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:05 - Jul 22 by PatfromPoole

Was just mulling over which group could form the background theme as a basis for discussion on this thread.

I have never smoked, but I feel that after reading the article I could do with some cigarettes and alcohol.

...in an Oasis bar

keep the faith coyr

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:40 - Jul 22 with 1638 viewsPatfromPoole

If Mara had any experience in the Prem, I would be more inclined to acquiesce with Nick.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:41 - Jul 22 with 1639 viewsButty101

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:05 - Jul 22 by PatfromPoole

You have to admire Nicks ability now days to put a positive spin on literally anything. He missed off that one is a full international and scored goals at that level. As for world class since when did matter when playing for southampton.

As a fan of the southampton brand, i know which i would prefer us to bring back. Broja reminds me a bit of Shearer with his bustling style. Think back to Shearers tricky 2nd/3rd and 4th season, on a stats only basis Nick would of been writing "Not going to be world class"!
[Post edited 22 Jul 2022 11:43]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:57 - Jul 22 with 1616 viewsPatfromPoole

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:41 - Jul 22 by Butty101

You have to admire Nicks ability now days to put a positive spin on literally anything. He missed off that one is a full international and scored goals at that level. As for world class since when did matter when playing for southampton.

As a fan of the southampton brand, i know which i would prefer us to bring back. Broja reminds me a bit of Shearer with his bustling style. Think back to Shearers tricky 2nd/3rd and 4th season, on a stats only basis Nick would of been writing "Not going to be world class"!

When Nick said a few weeks ago that Broja was like Andy Carroll but without the heading ability, I was inclined to wonder if he had been on one of the main exports from Columbia.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:18 - Jul 22 with 1513 viewsSaintNick

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:41 - Jul 22 by Butty101

One is a full international for Albania yes has started 7 games plus 7 off the bench and scored 4 goals, lets be frank if he had opted to play for England he wouldnt have a full cap yet and if he was French like Mara he wouldnt get in their full side either, so comparing International caps is no benchmark unless like for like.

Shearer was in a side along Le Tiss & Rod Wallace a free scoring team that shared the goals around, his role was not as the man on the end of the move, but to get the ball to the other two, you could see he was class back then, he played a different type of role the rest of his career when he was the main striker.

I dont base things just on stats, but i try to be honest in my opinion, would we be celebrating if the club signed a different striker for £30 million who got 6 Premier League goals last season ?

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:22 - Jul 22 with 1511 viewsSaintNick

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 11:57 - Jul 22 by PatfromPoole

When Nick said a few weeks ago that Broja was like Andy Carroll but without the heading ability, I was inclined to wonder if he had been on one of the main exports from Columbia.

Broja has never scored a goal with his head either for Vittesse or for Saints, even Elyounoussi has buried a chance with his head.

So are you saying that Broja has some heading ability ?

He may actually have some, he is quite tall but what he doesn't have is the timing, to know how to meet a cross at the right time

Login to get fewer ads

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:26 - Jul 22 with 1499 viewssaints__fan__73

The thing is Nick has completely painted himself into a corner and he is far to stubborn to ever get himself out of it.

It's obviously all stems from seasons back. In the Saints Go Wilde days Nick, in his role of self appointed voice of the fans, was able to swan around the pre-season sitting in Uncle Mike's Rolls-Royce.

After Liebherr took over the club went on it's most successful period since the ale 70s and early 80s but this didn't matter for Nick as he had personal issues with Cortese. I think this began when Cortese actually called Nick out for a negative article he had written about the impending sacking of Pardew. Funnily enough replacing him with Adkins and then replacing Adkins with Pochettino was exactly the right thing for the club to do.

The die was cast from this day and everything the club could do (in its most successful period for decades, was criticised by Nick. It didn't matter hwo many great players we signed like Fonte and Lambert, the only ones worthy of perpetual comment from Nick were Mayuka and Forren.

This all culminated in Nick's classic piece where, after going from the bottom of L1 to the PL in 2 seasons and winning the JPT he proudly proclaimed that 'we could be doing so much better' (maybe a World Cup win?)

Obviously Nick's dreams came true when Cortese left but, after a couple of seasons of success straight after this with Koeman the club has been in a decade of decline, appalling signings, precious few home wins and bumping around the foot of the table year after year after year.

But Nick, from his painted in corner, cannot now say anything negative about the club as Cortese is no longer there so we get the very amusing spectacle of him valiantly trying to put a positive slant on any and everything! He couldn't try harder if he was a paid up member of the club PR team.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:38 - Jul 22 with 1477 views1teeminants

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:18 - Jul 22 by SaintNick

One is a full international for Albania yes has started 7 games plus 7 off the bench and scored 4 goals, lets be frank if he had opted to play for England he wouldnt have a full cap yet and if he was French like Mara he wouldnt get in their full side either, so comparing International caps is no benchmark unless like for like.

Shearer was in a side along Le Tiss & Rod Wallace a free scoring team that shared the goals around, his role was not as the man on the end of the move, but to get the ball to the other two, you could see he was class back then, he played a different type of role the rest of his career when he was the main striker.

I dont base things just on stats, but i try to be honest in my opinion, would we be celebrating if the club signed a different striker for £30 million who got 6 Premier League goals last season ?

Broja will be banging in goals in the premier league next season . Let’s all really hope this Mara guy can keep up with him.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:46 - Jul 22 with 1455 viewssaints__fan__73

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 13:22 - Jul 22 by SaintNick

Broja has never scored a goal with his head either for Vittesse or for Saints, even Elyounoussi has buried a chance with his head.

So are you saying that Broja has some heading ability ?

He may actually have some, he is quite tall but what he doesn't have is the timing, to know how to meet a cross at the right time

I think you've managed to, quite spectacularly, miss the point there Nick!

If you were saying that Broja is 'like Carroll but without the heading ability' you are effectively saying that Broja is dog shite as heading ability is pretty much all that Carroll has/had...

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:01 - Jul 22 with 1448 viewsPatfromPoole

I lost count of how many neutral pundits I heard last season saying that Broja was the real deal.

At times he showed speed to get away from defenders that bordered on supersonic, meaning that they would often have to resort to fouling him cynically.

I just have to hold my hands up in exasperation and ask do you know I mean, Nick?

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:12 - Jul 22 with 1424 viewsJim_Royle

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:01 - Jul 22 by PatfromPoole

I lost count of how many neutral pundits I heard last season saying that Broja was the real deal.

At times he showed speed to get away from defenders that bordered on supersonic, meaning that they would often have to resort to fouling him cynically.

I just have to hold my hands up in exasperation and ask do you know I mean, Nick?

I feel our season will slide away.

watchdog? i am watching a dog.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:13 - Jul 22 with 1418 viewssaints__fan__73

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:01 - Jul 22 by PatfromPoole

Ahh, but these neutral pundits you speak of were not exhibiting obvious symptoms of Post-Cortese Stress Disorder.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:16 - Jul 22 with 1415 viewsSaintNick

Neutral pundits watch highlights, where they at Turf Moor on a cold evening when we got beat 2-0, Brenford for a 3-0 drubbing, Villa when we got beat 4-0, Wolves when we lost 3-1 Liverpool away and all those games that put us in the place that we ended up in.

Neutral pundits raved about him for the 6 goals he scored, not the 26 games he didn't score in , sometimes players get big reputations based on high profiles, I can guarantee you if West Ham pay £30 million and he gets 6 goals then their fans wont be speaking about him so fondly.

Shane long used to get slaughtered for only getting this amount of goals in a season

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:33 - Jul 22 with 1390 viewssaints__fan__73

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:16 - Jul 22 by SaintNick

Neutral pundits watch highlights, where they at Turf Moor on a cold evening when we got beat 2-0, Brenford for a 3-0 drubbing, Villa when we got beat 4-0, Wolves when we lost 3-1 Liverpool away and all those games that put us in the place that we ended up in.

Neutral pundits raved about him for the 6 goals he scored, not the 26 games he didn't score in , sometimes players get big reputations based on high profiles, I can guarantee you if West Ham pay £30 million and he gets 6 goals then their fans wont be speaking about him so fondly.

Shane long used to get slaughtered for only getting this amount of goals in a season

Narrator: Shane Long only scored more than 5 goals in one season for Southampton.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:34 - Jul 22 with 1393 viewsPatfromPoole

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 14:16 - Jul 22 by SaintNick

Neutral pundits commentating on games real time, not watching highlights.

It’s beyond me how anyone can say stand by me and my judgement and then try to compare the two players, when they have had completely different career experience so far.

Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 15:30 - Jul 22 with 1301 viewsBerber

Until we see the guy play in our team, we will not be able to tell. I think that Nick is making a fair point, that it is not all bad, and that Borja still has a lot to prove, wherever he ends up next.

Ps However, having just watched his highlights video, he looks more like a Redmond clone than a striker.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2022 17:00]
Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 20:21 - Jul 22 with 1144 viewsSonicBoom

I just hope Ralph doesn't coach the striking flair out of him. I cant think of many forward players that have improved under Ralph. Stuart Armstrong perhaps? Adam Armstrong definitely not. Djenepo started brightly but faded away. Maybe Che but he only ever gets about 8. Tell hasnt trained on has he. Even Broja gradually got worse.
Sometimes I fear Ralph's rigid demands sucks the attacking instinct out of strikers. Hope I'm wrong.
Sékou Mara V Armando Broja The Comparisons Are Striking on 21:10 - Aug 6 with 583 viewsPatfromPoole

I see that Broja came on for Chelsea in the 75th minute today.

Whereas Mara was nowhere to be seen today.

A six-goal striker is going to be so easy to replace 😉

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024