Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! 19:35 - Dec 18 with 1335 viewsfelly1

Now we've got Coporal Jones leading the way , how long will he get before the Angry Brigade start deriding his tactics, baffling substitutions and general man management. ..mmm sounds familiar!!
Then again how long will it take before fans like me start to mention lack of investment over many years allied to poor player recruitment.
Let's hope for a bloody miracle!

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 19:56 - Dec 18 with 1299 viewskingslandstand1

I think it's already started ..............
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 20:16 - Dec 18 with 1283 viewsSouthamptonfan

I hope it goes well for NJ but I have my f@cking doubts. Not his fault, but Adams and Armstrong arn't going to become f@cking Messi and we will still concede goals with our error prone defence. We will still get beat by better players as our squad lacks the quality needed. I fear that NJ will be naive, thinking he can make average players into world beaters. Ralph found out, that you can't in the PL. You can't compete with the top clubs.

I fully expect a fast paced start with a new enthusiastic manager, but I can't see much changing long term. I really hope I'm wrong. NJ comes across well, he seems passionate and he will get my full support. But I doubt much will change. We will see if Ralph really was the problem or not. As I said before, we never were going to get much of an upgrade on Ralph. Who wants to come to an unambitious club without investment in the team? Certainly not top managers like Poch. So the problem is and has always been higher up. Saints will continue to fight for 16th year after year. Hope I'm f@cking wrong.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 21:33 - Dec 18 with 1203 viewsgrumpy

'Saints will continue to fight for 16th year after year'

Lets not hope that's not in the Championship or League 1.
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 08:52 - Dec 19 with 951 viewsSaintNick

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 20:16 - Dec 18 by Southamptonfan

I hope it goes well for NJ but I have my f@cking doubts. Not his fault, but Adams and Armstrong arn't going to become f@cking Messi and we will still concede goals with our error prone defence. We will still get beat by better players as our squad lacks the quality needed. I fear that NJ will be naive, thinking he can make average players into world beaters. Ralph found out, that you can't in the PL. You can't compete with the top clubs.

I fully expect a fast paced start with a new enthusiastic manager, but I can't see much changing long term. I really hope I'm wrong. NJ comes across well, he seems passionate and he will get my full support. But I doubt much will change. We will see if Ralph really was the problem or not. As I said before, we never were going to get much of an upgrade on Ralph. Who wants to come to an unambitious club without investment in the team? Certainly not top managers like Poch. So the problem is and has always been higher up. Saints will continue to fight for 16th year after year. Hope I'm f@cking wrong.

What is an ambitious club in the Premier League ?

People keep on about Saints having no ambition, but qualify that ambition, lets be blunt only about 4 clubs can actually stand a chance of winning the Premier league, add 2 or 3 more and you have all the European places boxed off now.

So what is ambition, to pay out big money to finish 9th place ? Before dropping down the league as it can't be sustained year in year out.

Too many people judge ambition on how much money is spent or how few players have been sold.

Personally I think the way the club is going is the only way forward whilst the Premier league is in it's current state, buy players with potential, develop them and keep repeating the process, that is a strategy rather than just blindly throwing money at players for £35-40 million who quite frankly are worth half of that.

Saints have a strategy, it might not seem as exciting as announcing spending £30 million on an unknown striker from Spain or France, but it stands a better chance of succeeding

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 10:44 - Dec 19 with 890 viewsgrumpy

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 08:52 - Dec 19 by SaintNick

People keep on about Saints having no ambition, but qualify that ambition, lets be blunt only about 4 clubs can actually stand a chance of winning the Premier league, add 2 or 3 more and you have all the European places boxed off now.

So what is ambition, to pay out big money to finish 9th place ? Before dropping down the league as it can't be sustained year in year out.

Too many people judge ambition on how much money is spent or how few players have been sold.

Personally I think the way the club is going is the only way forward whilst the Premier league is in it's current state, buy players with potential, develop them and keep repeating the process, that is a strategy rather than just blindly throwing money at players for £35-40 million who quite frankly are worth half of that.

Saints have a strategy, it might not seem as exciting as announcing spending £30 million on an unknown striker from Spain or France, but it stands a better chance of succeeding

Most fans want to see top class football and that means staying in the Premiership.
To achieve this the club must have ambition.
Saints fans don't expect to win the Premiership or maintain a top position in the league.
What the fans would like is to see money invested in the right manager and players and occasionally beat the top clubs which Saints used to have a habit of doing particularly to clubs from London and United and Liverpool.
To say
' I think the way the club is going is the only way forward'
doesn't make sense,we currently sit second from bottom of the league and have just replaced the manager.
To have failed to get a class striker before the season is not the club going forward,I think they could have done better on the new manager front too.
Saints have so much potential,its just frustrating................but we march on heavens know where.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2022 14:38]
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 11:35 - Dec 19 with 870 viewsSouthamptonfan

Ambition for me is keeping Romeu, instead of selling him for just a few million. We miss him terribly in my opinion, his aggression, his tough tackling and he could have done another couple of years. He is better than Diallo in my view, even as an older player. Ambition is saving the 10 million spent on Mara for some future pay day, or even the GK when we already had Forster and putting it towards Gapko for 40 million in the summer, which would have made us a really good side. We won't pay above 30 million on one player, but will spend it elsewhere on a load of average players. We can call it what you like, but we should have kept Romeu, kept Forster, not bothered with 6 new young players and got in an experienced defender and a top striker. They are trying to bring in young players, sell on more experienced ones, to make money, without the balance of needing to score goals. No thought on the effect on the team. Whilst I understand the need to develop players, and it is a way forward for us, every team needs a good striker and an experienced defender. It should be as well as, not in place of. Adams and Armstrong are not good enough. We have to buy a top striker or we risk going down. That's ambition for me, getting what we need, as well as also bringing through "some" young players.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 12:43 - Dec 19 with 829 viewsfelly1

I just want to be able to compete with the other big Prem Clubs like Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton, Wolves, Leeds, Forest, etc etc. All these clubs have more ambition and sit above us in the league. Whilst we try and survive with players like Walcott, A Armstrong, Elyonoussi, and so on.
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 12:45 - Dec 19 with 824 viewsfelly1

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 12:43 - Dec 19 by felly1

I just want to be able to compete with the other big Prem Clubs like Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton, Wolves, Leeds, Forest, etc etc. All these clubs have more ambition and sit above us in the league. Whilst we try and survive with players like Walcott, A Armstrong, Elyonoussi, and so on.

Sorry Wolves are below us...for now!
Login to get fewer ads

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 17:11 - Dec 19 with 669 viewsCenturion

If we stay up brilliant!
If we go down we can plan to go back up!

Whatever way, it is OK.
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 17:12 - Dec 19 with 668 viewsIfonly

Ambition for Saints should be top 10, but not Europe. If we finish about 13th that's par for the course because that's about where our wage bill is. There is an very strong relationship between PL club's wage bills and where they finish in the table. Clubs may escape gravity for a year or two but no one sustains it. That's partly because the bigger clubs come along and steal their players and manager for higher wages. That's life.

If we stay in the PL, play entertaining football, have a few good cup runs and occasionally stick to the big guys then that's about the best we can hope for.
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 17:21 - Dec 19 with 656 viewsgrumpy

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 17:12 - Dec 19 by Ifonly

Ambition for Saints should be top 10, but not Europe. If we finish about 13th that's par for the course because that's about where our wage bill is. There is an very strong relationship between PL club's wage bills and where they finish in the table. Clubs may escape gravity for a year or two but no one sustains it. That's partly because the bigger clubs come along and steal their players and manager for higher wages. That's life.

If we stay in the PL, play entertaining football, have a few good cup runs and occasionally stick to the big guys then that's about the best we can hope for.

'If we stay in the PL, play entertaining football, have a few good cup runs and occasionally stick to the big guys then that's about the best we can hope for'

Agreed
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 18:30 - Dec 19 with 611 viewsBerber

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 11:35 - Dec 19 by Southamptonfan

Ambition for me is keeping Romeu, instead of selling him for just a few million. We miss him terribly in my opinion, his aggression, his tough tackling and he could have done another couple of years. He is better than Diallo in my view, even as an older player. Ambition is saving the 10 million spent on Mara for some future pay day, or even the GK when we already had Forster and putting it towards Gapko for 40 million in the summer, which would have made us a really good side. We won't pay above 30 million on one player, but will spend it elsewhere on a load of average players. We can call it what you like, but we should have kept Romeu, kept Forster, not bothered with 6 new young players and got in an experienced defender and a top striker. They are trying to bring in young players, sell on more experienced ones, to make money, without the balance of needing to score goals. No thought on the effect on the team. Whilst I understand the need to develop players, and it is a way forward for us, every team needs a good striker and an experienced defender. It should be as well as, not in place of. Adams and Armstrong are not good enough. We have to buy a top striker or we risk going down. That's ambition for me, getting what we need, as well as also bringing through "some" young players.

I don’t understand why people keep going on about buying Gakpo. He didn’t want to come here. End of story.
Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 18:41 - Dec 19 with 606 views1885_SFC

Well I'm looking forward to seeing Saints under the new manager. I've no idea whether he'll be good or bad... but then none of us know. I'm sure (money talks) that we'll get a striker in next month. I liked Ralph as a bloke & we had some decent times under him. But I was all for a change & now the new boss gets my full support.

I'm in.

Old School is Cool

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 18:50 - Dec 19 with 591 viewsgrumpy

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring! on 18:41 - Dec 19 by 1885_SFC

Well I'm looking forward to seeing Saints under the new manager. I've no idea whether he'll be good or bad... but then none of us know. I'm sure (money talks) that we'll get a striker in next month. I liked Ralph as a bloke & we had some decent times under him. But I was all for a change & now the new boss gets my full support.

I'm in.

As much as I am disappointed in who we have as manager ,I cant argue with that thinking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024