Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 3 pedantic posters 13:06 - Jul 25 with 639 viewsPatfromPoole

1. Saint Nick
2. Pat from Poole

Number 3 can go to whoever spots an obvious problem with this Top 3…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Top 3 pedantic posters on 13:57 - Jul 25 with 593 viewsericofarabia

Seems perfectly legit to me
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 13:58]
Top 3 pedantic posters on 14:22 - Jul 25 with 572 viewsSaintNick

Im honoured to sit above you in this distinguished list of pedants

I know I will have my work cut out to stay number one when you point out after waxing lyrical about a player, that you point out I actually called him a carthorse in a post back in January 2018

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 pedantic posters on 14:58 - Jul 25 with 538 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 pedantic posters on 14:22 - Jul 25 by SaintNick

I know I will have my work cut out to stay number one when you point out after waxing lyrical about a player, that you point out I actually called him a carthorse in a post back in January 2018

In January 2018, that might have been Carillo.

But then I think everybody was calling him a carthorse apart from you….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Top 3 pedantic posters on 15:10 - Jul 25 with 529 viewsarfurdent

Top 3 pedantic posters on 14:22 - Jul 25 by SaintNick

just think of the view Pat must be experiencing

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Top 3 pedantic posters on 15:48 - Jul 25 with 509 viewsfranniesTache

bloody pendants
Top 3 pedantic posters on 15:51 - Jul 25 with 509 viewsSaintNick

Top 3 pedantic posters on 14:58 - Jul 25 by PatfromPoole

In January 2018, that might have been Carillo.

But then I think everybody was calling him a carthorse apart from you….

If we want to be pedantic, I would suspect that it would have been March 2018 before the the Carillo moaners started to question the signing.

He signed on 25th January and made a 7 minute cameo appearance against Watford in the FA Cup in a 1-0 win with a 4th minute Jack Stephens goal, so his cover was not blown at that point.

A few days later he made his league debut, with Saints 1-0 down against Brighton at St Mary's at half time he came on with Sofiane Boufal to lead the fightback, again it was Jack Stephens who earned the 1-1 draw in the 64th minute

So we get into February and a relegation trip to West Brom on the 3rd February, we trail to a 4th minute goal, Carrillo making his full debut has a decent first half, Lemina equalises in the 40th minute and then in the 43rd minute Carillo sees the keeper make a great save from a header tipping the ball around the post for a corner, from said corner who should equalise but Jack Stephens again.

Second half JWP makes it 3-1 and WBA pull a goal back, Carillo comes off in the 7th minute for Shane long, perhaps this was the day that kept us up.

11th Feb Liverpool do a job on us at St Mary's for a 2-0 win, 17th Feb we go to West Brom again in the FA Cup, Carillo has a decent game and creates one of the goals.

18th Feb and again a season defining moment, with Saints 1-0 down and in injury time, Josh Sims hits a woeful cross that looks to be heading out for a goal kick and the clock being run down by the home side, Carillo doesn't give up the ghost though and somehow manages to get to the ball and head it back across goal where Gabbiadini forces home the equaliser, again another vital point.

So we are in March and Carillo has been no worse or better than those around him, a woeful performance by Saints in a 0-0 draw does not do him or anyone any favours, likewise a 3-0 defeat at Newcastle where Lemina especially is awful although few came out with any credit.

That does no favours for anyone especially Mauricio Pellegrino who is sacked.

Mark Hughes takes over and Carillo starts his first game in charge in the FA Cup at Wigan and plays 81 minutes as Saints win 2-0

But his time is nearly up, he has 7 minutes of game time left, he is on the bench and comes on in the 83rd minute, Saints were 3-0 down at half time.

So to be pedantic Carillo was no worse than the rest of the team surrounding him, but we needed scapegoats and Mark Hughes chose Carillo, but he made a contribution to staying up, he played a part in the goal that gave us 3 points at West Brom and an assist in the goal at Burnley, without those points we would have gone down.

So an expensive gamble but one that could be said to have paid off given we stayed up.

If we look at our other goal scorers Charlie Austin was leading scorer with 7, Gabbiadini got 5, stats that get Che Adams slagged off these days.

So this is pedantry at it's finest, proving that the populist view is not always the correct one, I am not sticking up for Carillo here, just pointing out he was no worse than those around him and he did contribute something, but hey football fans never let facts get in the way of a chance to slag a player off or revere him.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 pedantic posters on 16:39 - Jul 25 with 478 viewskingslandstand1

I believe the top 3 should be
1. PatfromPoole
2. SaintNick
3. Any tw@t that took part in the thread or noticed my application
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024