Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints 12:04 - Sep 7 with 2347 viewsPatfromPoole

1. Claus
2. Oriol
3. Yoshida

Sadly I do not see Sulemana joining this elite band.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 12:51 - Sep 7 with 1919 viewssoulman64

ivan golac
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 13:00 - Sep 7 with 1913 viewsChesham_Saint

Michael Svensson
Marion Pahars
Ken Monkou?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 13:01 - Sep 7 with 1913 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 12:51 - Sep 7 by soulman64

ivan golac

I heard a tale once about Ivan Golac going down as if he was injured with Saints being a couple of goals down.

We scored a goal to get back in the game, and as if by magic Golac got up as if there was nothing wrong with him.

McMenemy wasn’t having any of it and took him off, even though he was fine.

Not sure how true this is.

I suppose Pahars should possibly be in the top 3…..

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 13:04 - Sep 7 with 1911 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 13:00 - Sep 7 by Chesham_Saint

Michael Svensson
Marion Pahars
Ken Monkou?

Of course, Super Ken.

Great shout.

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 13:06 - Sep 7 with 1909 viewsPatfromPoole

I have no wish to be the next Farage or Enoch Powell, but there is a fairly prominent continent which does not appear to have many candidates…..

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 14:36 - Sep 7 with 1861 viewssaint901

Jose Fonte
Dusan Tadic
Oriol
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 14:43 - Sep 7 with 1856 viewssaints__fan__73

What does loyal actually mean?

Any player who is good enough to play for a club at a higher level than Saints will go.

The reason Claus never left is that a CL club never came in for him as he wasn't good enough.

The reason why Mane left was that he was good enough.

I'm not sure 'loyalty' ever comes in to it.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 16:38 - Sep 7 with 1809 viewsBuggalugs

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 14:43 - Sep 7 by saints__fan__73

Any player who is good enough to play for a club at a higher level than Saints will go.

The reason Claus never left is that a CL club never came in for him as he wasn't good enough.

People don't like to admit it, but this is pretty much spot on and is the same for nearly all clubs. There's always a bigger fish.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Login to get fewer ads

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 16:46 - Sep 7 with 1800 viewsSFC_Referee

If your putting yoshida and Romeu up there then I’d say Fonte would definitely have to be higher than them

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:34 - Sep 7 with 1781 viewsfranniesTache

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 16:46 - Sep 7 by SFC_Referee

If your putting yoshida and Romeu up there then I’d say Fonte would definitely have to be higher than them

Fonte was a bellend who kicked off when he wanted to leave, you can't really talk about loyalty if a player is intentionally making a nuisance of himself behind the scenes to get a move.

In all honesty most of our "loyal" players have really only been loyal because they've not been good enough to go anywhere else.

There's obviously a few exceptions, Niemi perhaps, but the likes of Claus weren't loyal, they just werent good enough to move on
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:39 - Sep 7 with 1776 viewsfelly1

The only loyalty that exists in Professional football are the fans.
Ideally really good foreign players would give us two seasons of service before moving on...
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 21:50 - Sep 7 with 1703 viewsSaintNick

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 14:43 - Sep 7 by saints__fan__73

There is a difference between loyal and great service, Yoshida gave great service and was loyal, but in the list of great overseas players for this club in terms of quality of performance, he is way down the list.

In contrast Virgil Van Dijk gave great service, but was not very loyal, but he probably had more great games for Saints in 2 1/2 years than Yoshida had in 8 seasons and 154 Premier League games

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 22:30 - Sep 7 with 1675 viewscocklebreath

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:34 - Sep 7 by franniesTache

Fonte was a bellend who kicked off when he wanted to leave, you can't really talk about loyalty if a player is intentionally making a nuisance of himself behind the scenes to get a move.

In all honesty most of our "loyal" players have really only been loyal because they've not been good enough to go anywhere else.

There's obviously a few exceptions, Niemi perhaps, but the likes of Claus weren't loyal, they just werent good enough to move on

How depressing. Surely there’s some foreigners out there who loved being a saint?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 22:33 - Sep 7 with 1673 viewsSaintNick

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:34 - Sep 7 by franniesTache

You are right, November 2015 he signed a long term deal and professed his love for the club and desire to stay here for the ret of his career and then in 2016 he got his super agent and thought he was going to Manchester United

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 22:58 - Sep 7 with 1650 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 22:30 - Sep 7 by cocklebreath

How depressing. Surely there’s some foreigners out there who loved being a saint?

I dare say Steve de Ridder loved being a Saint.

He just wasn’t very good.

SSSSSSTTTTTTEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 22:58]

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 22:59 - Sep 7 with 1647 viewsPatfromPoole

Hang on a minute, Steve de Ridder actually helped us get promoted to the Prem.

Bloke’s a legend.

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 23:01 - Sep 7 with 1643 viewsPatfromPoole

Which I guess brings me to do Prado……

We have had more influential foreigners over the years than I thought……

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 23:13 - Sep 7 with 1639 viewsPatfromPoole

I was going to put Schneiderlin in my original top 3, but didn’t as he did throw his toys out of the pram a bit towards the end.

However, he gave us the best 6 years of his career and he was utterly magnificent for the last 3 of them.

So I should probably revise my top 3 (which has now become a top 5)……

1. Claus
2. Schneiderlin
3. Oriol
4. Super Ken
5. Pahars

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 14:38 - Sep 8 with 1544 viewsfranniesTache

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 22:30 - Sep 7 by cocklebreath

Don't think there's many footballers in general mush, you can probably count on one hand the players who actually loved Southampton, instead of it being a job for them.
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 14:47 - Sep 8 with 1539 viewssaints__fan__73

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 21:50 - Sep 7 by SaintNick

There is a difference between loyal and great service, Yoshida gave great service and was loyal, but in the list of great overseas players for this club in terms of quality of performance, he is way down the list.

In contrast Virgil Van Dijk gave great service, but was not very loyal, but he probably had more great games for Saints in 2 1/2 years than Yoshida had in 8 seasons and 154 Premier League games

Indeed. But what is loyalty?

No player will ever be loyal as it's just a job to them.

As soon as a better job comes up every player will be off.

The ones who stay and we are saying are 'loyal' are just the ones not good enough to do better than us.

I'm sure if Claus had been coveted by Man Utd in the 90s he would have been off as quickly as Mane left.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:09 - Sep 8 with 1507 viewscocklebreath

Niemi has to be up there

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:09 - Sep 8 with 1506 viewscocklebreath

And he had a good song as did Our Claus

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:16 - Sep 8 with 1504 viewsBerber

This
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:20 - Sep 8 with 1499 viewsfranniesTache

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:09 - Sep 8 by cocklebreath

And he had a good song as did Our Claus

took us a long bloody time to get Our Claus going though, remember coming up with it playing football on portswood rec then spending a good few seasons with people staring at us blankly in the archers trying to get it going
Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:24 - Sep 8 with 1496 viewscocklebreath

Top 3 players from overseas who gave great service and were loyal to Saints on 17:20 - Sep 8 by franniesTache

took us a long bloody time to get Our Claus going though, remember coming up with it playing football on portswood rec then spending a good few seasons with people staring at us blankly in the archers trying to get it going

By the end of his time we changed it to “our Claus he’s got 20 B&H” in honour of his legendary smoking habit

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024