Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PL clubs to vote on VAR 20:45 - May 15 with 749 viewsSouthamptonfan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4n1ndlknk1o

Hope they get rid. One real benefit of being in the championship has been not having VAR. A one second glance at the linesman and then you can celebrate a goal. VAR has sapped the life out of football. This season, we have had a few goals against and a few goals for that shouldn't have stood. It does even itself out. I can take a few mistakes from the ref. GET RID!

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 23:37 - May 15 with 674 viewsDorsetIan

The tide has certainly turned against VAR but I'm not sure yet that the Premier League has got the collective wit to bin it.

I hope they do. It's been a complete disaster for football. It could have been something which really improved the game, ruling out the most blatant of errors (and just that) but instead it's ruined the spectacle and excitement of every single game and it's generated a whole new category of its own errors. Comical really.

The basic mistake was inexcusable. They simply didn't think it through. They then never had the balls to admit their mistake.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 23:50 - May 15 with 670 viewsSouthamptonfan

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 23:37 - May 15 by DorsetIan

The tide has certainly turned against VAR but I'm not sure yet that the Premier League has got the collective wit to bin it.

I hope they do. It's been a complete disaster for football. It could have been something which really improved the game, ruling out the most blatant of errors (and just that) but instead it's ruined the spectacle and excitement of every single game and it's generated a whole new category of its own errors. Comical really.

The basic mistake was inexcusable. They simply didn't think it through. They then never had the balls to admit their mistake.

Yep, VAR has spoilt the game. For me, it was never about a toenail offside or a slight pull on a shirt 2 minutes earlier before a goal is scored. I always thought it would be used if there was video evidence of serious foul play that the ref might have missed or a goal that was clearly off side (by a mile), that again the officials missed. It has become a farce I want it gone. The good old days were far better. Football is the game we love - fast paced, passionate, crunching tackles, last minute goals. VAR is taking that away and it needs to be binned.
[Post edited 15 May 23:52]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 00:46 - May 16 with 651 viewsSFC_Referee

Yeah well I do also hope it goes, as no matter what tech we use, there’s certain decisions that’ll always gain criticism and have discussions around them because they’re not black and white, but opinionated. And with or without VAR that won’t change, but what does change is how long we have to wait for these decisions to be made and how badly it can ruin the match day experiences for the real fans that actually go to the football games.

But I do think that we may still wanna keep parts to it/use similar technologies that are factual, like goal line technology, semi automated offsides, as offside positions are factual, just the same as how we should still use it for whether or not the ball went out of play or not, whether the foul was in or out of the box, mistaken identity and all the other binary, factual decisions that no one can debate.
But if we’re to use these technologies then I do think they need to be quicker than what they’ve been in recent years, so to stop using VAR until the offside and other black and white checks, are just a few seconds, so us not using it until then certainly isn’t a bad thing in my books.
[Post edited 16 May 0:50]

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 01:28 - May 16 with 625 viewssledger

the biggest problem with var is its operated by the same tossers who referee and players going unpunished for blatant cheating.
PL clubs to vote on VAR on 06:02 - May 16 with 576 viewssaintwizzler

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 01:28 - May 16 by sledger

the biggest problem with var is its operated by the same tossers who referee and players going unpunished for blatant cheating.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 07:32 - May 16 with 511 viewssolent_toffee

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 01:28 - May 16 by sledger

Totally agree. In the 2018 WC it was great, and I was looking forward to having it over here, foolishly believing that it would make things more of a level playing field and the snaky six got getting all of the contentious decisions.

It’s gone completely the other way, with VAR actively trying to find ways to give them penalties or disallow goals etc. Incompetence or blatant cheating, I’m not sure.
PL clubs to vote on VAR on 08:31 - May 16 with 470 viewsDorsetIan

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 00:46 - May 16 by SFC_Referee

Yeah well I do also hope it goes, as no matter what tech we use, there’s certain decisions that’ll always gain criticism and have discussions around them because they’re not black and white, but opinionated. And with or without VAR that won’t change, but what does change is how long we have to wait for these decisions to be made and how badly it can ruin the match day experiences for the real fans that actually go to the football games.

But I do think that we may still wanna keep parts to it/use similar technologies that are factual, like goal line technology, semi automated offsides, as offside positions are factual, just the same as how we should still use it for whether or not the ball went out of play or not, whether the foul was in or out of the box, mistaken identity and all the other binary, factual decisions that no one can debate.
But if we’re to use these technologies then I do think they need to be quicker than what they’ve been in recent years, so to stop using VAR until the offside and other black and white checks, are just a few seconds, so us not using it until then certainly isn’t a bad thing in my books.
[Post edited 16 May 0:50]

Offside positions are factual but a rule which says that level is onside should not, on any sensible view, be judged by where someone's toenail is. And the only time it is is when VAR is involved - there is something fundamentally wrong about that.

So I don't want any system, automated or semi-automated, which continues that complete nonsense.

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 09:18 - May 16 with 448 viewsUTS1885

I’m a football traditionalist so I find Var a boil on the arse of football. But there is a bigger boil that would removing and that’s the forensic cameras, that the likes of sky sports put inside stadiums.
Login to get fewer ads

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 09:39 - May 16 with 432 viewsChesham_Saint

How come it doesn’t seem to be so contentious in other countries? Could it be because the British have a trait of once a regulation is introduced, we tend to go all ‘jobsworth’ and follow everything to the letter? This was perhaps one of the reasons we left the EU, as many people were pissed off with the pettiness of some regulations.

I spent a lot of time with European lawyers and they admired the way the British picked apart every proposed regulation and made it workable. They really respected our professionalism and attention to detail.

However…once a regulation was in place we adhered to it vigorously, whereas other countries paid lip service to much of what was passed and in many cases simply ignored it if they didn’t like it. Is this the VAR experience as well?

BTW, this is not meant to be pro or anti-EU…

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 09:54 - May 16 with 417 viewsBuggalugs

VAR was always going to be w@nk and it hasn't improved the game in any way, shape or form. It robs match going fans the joyful spontaneity and elation of when a goal is scored, which is kind of the whole point. This season has shown that for us; a quick glance at the lino is all you need to enjoy that moment we all go for.

People go on about it not being the system, but the people operating it, but that's utter bollox too. Football can be subjective, so what 50% of people think is a foul, there's 50% that don't. Watching endless replays in slow-mo is always going to make tackles seem worse than they are, so just trust the man in the middle and take his decisions as final. Of course they'll be mistakes, but give me that any day over the nonsense being served up now.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 10:04 - May 16 with 407 viewsBuggalugs

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 09:54 - May 16 by Buggalugs

VAR was always going to be w@nk and it hasn't improved the game in any way, shape or form. It robs match going fans the joyful spontaneity and elation of when a goal is scored, which is kind of the whole point. This season has shown that for us; a quick glance at the lino is all you need to enjoy that moment we all go for.

People go on about it not being the system, but the people operating it, but that's utter bollox too. Football can be subjective, so what 50% of people think is a foul, there's 50% that don't. Watching endless replays in slow-mo is always going to make tackles seem worse than they are, so just trust the man in the middle and take his decisions as final. Of course they'll be mistakes, but give me that any day over the nonsense being served up now.

I must add that I'd be amazed if it got sacked off as it has massive appeal to the tv companies and audiences, which is all the powers that be care about.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 10:10 - May 16 with 402 viewsDorsetIan

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 09:39 - May 16 by Chesham_Saint

How come it doesn’t seem to be so contentious in other countries? Could it be because the British have a trait of once a regulation is introduced, we tend to go all ‘jobsworth’ and follow everything to the letter? This was perhaps one of the reasons we left the EU, as many people were pissed off with the pettiness of some regulations.

I spent a lot of time with European lawyers and they admired the way the British picked apart every proposed regulation and made it workable. They really respected our professionalism and attention to detail.

However…once a regulation was in place we adhered to it vigorously, whereas other countries paid lip service to much of what was passed and in many cases simply ignored it if they didn’t like it. Is this the VAR experience as well?

You're right that we tend to follow the rules more than some (although in my experience the Dutch are even more sticklers than we are).

But I think there's a slightly different thing that's happened here to do with policing and power.

Basically, if you give people power to do anything they are going to use it. They can't help themselves. So it's impossible for a VAR official to say 'that's nothing to do with me'/'that's not the sort of glaring error I was designed for'. And because there is no referral system to the VAR officials, they just introduce themselves into the mix whenever they fancy, which has been all the f*cking time.

Likewise, give them a system that can measure toenails and they are going to use it to measure toenails, even if nobody in planet football ever imagined in a million years that this nonsense is what they would be doing.

These things were obvious from day one. The whole system was designed by complete morons.

And the footballing authorities have been utter cowards for allowing the VAR abuse of football to continue for as long as it has.

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 10:55 - May 16 with 343 viewsSFC_Referee

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 09:39 - May 16 by Chesham_Saint

But the fact is that it is very controversial and contentious abroad. As this season we’ve seen a lot more controversial decisions in all the champions/europa/European super league games, and they’re the games that’s officiated by the best refs across Europe.
And in other countries they have just as much hatred and controversy as we do over here, as I’ve recently been to Germany and Spain and all the fans over there see it as how we do here. As if anyone does watch any of the other 5 major leagues then you’ll see that they have just as much controversy as we do, but it’s just not highlighted as much because their leagues aren’t as big as the prem and outside of Serie A, they’ve only got about 6 games that matter that much a season, compared to our like 30.

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 11:01 - May 16 with 322 viewsSFC_Referee

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 10:10 - May 16 by DorsetIan

You're right that we tend to follow the rules more than some (although in my experience the Dutch are even more sticklers than we are).

But I think there's a slightly different thing that's happened here to do with policing and power.

Basically, if you give people power to do anything they are going to use it. They can't help themselves. So it's impossible for a VAR official to say 'that's nothing to do with me'/'that's not the sort of glaring error I was designed for'. And because there is no referral system to the VAR officials, they just introduce themselves into the mix whenever they fancy, which has been all the f*cking time.

Likewise, give them a system that can measure toenails and they are going to use it to measure toenails, even if nobody in planet football ever imagined in a million years that this nonsense is what they would be doing.

These things were obvious from day one. The whole system was designed by complete morons.

And the footballing authorities have been utter cowards for allowing the VAR abuse of football to continue for as long as it has.

Or just more simply that’s what the LOTG suggest and to be level with an opponent is almost mathematically impossible. As the LOTG are what match officials have to follow, just the same as the guides/rules everyone else has when they work.
As like I’ve said before on here, I know of many top refs, and many don’t like the LOTG in recent years around handballs or how tight the offsides are, but that’s what the LOTG tell them they must follow, so if they wanna keep their jobs or even be selected by fifa etc… then that’s what they’ve gotta do.

As I’m fairly certain many on here will of had rules at work or things they needed to do which they didn’t like doing, but had to do to keep their job, and it’s the exact same for these refs. And for that to change the LOTG have to, and those laws are dictated more by former players and a managers than they are refs.

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 12:50 - May 16 with 249 viewsSFC_Referee

Still it seems like a majority of the clubs won’t be voting to abolish it in the first place anyway…

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13136862/var-majority-of-premier-l

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 13:10 - May 16 with 236 viewsDorsetIan

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 11:01 - May 16 by SFC_Referee

Or just more simply that’s what the LOTG suggest and to be level with an opponent is almost mathematically impossible. As the LOTG are what match officials have to follow, just the same as the guides/rules everyone else has when they work.
As like I’ve said before on here, I know of many top refs, and many don’t like the LOTG in recent years around handballs or how tight the offsides are, but that’s what the LOTG tell them they must follow, so if they wanna keep their jobs or even be selected by fifa etc… then that’s what they’ve gotta do.

As I’m fairly certain many on here will of had rules at work or things they needed to do which they didn’t like doing, but had to do to keep their job, and it’s the exact same for these refs. And for that to change the LOTG have to, and those laws are dictated more by former players and a managers than they are refs.

The 'level is onside' rules came in in 1990.

I cannot remember anyone arguing that it was impossible to tell whether two players were 'level' before VAR.

Neither can I remember any real controversies about whether or not a particular player was 'level'. The controversies were about linesmen missing players who were a good distance offside.

So the 'level is offside' works as a rule UNLESS YOU DRAW LINES ON A SCREEN AND START MEASURING TOES - neither of which has f*ck all to do with football.

The 1990 change worked and gave the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It works in every non-VAR game worldwide. The problem is not the 'level is onside' rule.

I agree that under the VAR system it is almost impossible to be level. This is precisely the problem. VAR has EFFECTIVELY changed the rules.

The fault is with the people who designed the system (the second I saw this line drawing nonsense, I knew that it would be disastrous) and with those who were faced, very early on, with a barrage of stupid offsides on the basis of toes etc, and who did not step in to change the way VAR was operating immediately.

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 13:20 - May 16 with 219 viewsSFC_Referee

PL clubs to vote on VAR on 13:10 - May 16 by DorsetIan

The 'level is onside' rules came in in 1990.

I cannot remember anyone arguing that it was impossible to tell whether two players were 'level' before VAR.

Neither can I remember any real controversies about whether or not a particular player was 'level'. The controversies were about linesmen missing players who were a good distance offside.

So the 'level is offside' works as a rule UNLESS YOU DRAW LINES ON A SCREEN AND START MEASURING TOES - neither of which has f*ck all to do with football.

The 1990 change worked and gave the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It works in every non-VAR game worldwide. The problem is not the 'level is onside' rule.

I agree that under the VAR system it is almost impossible to be level. This is precisely the problem. VAR has EFFECTIVELY changed the rules.

The fault is with the people who designed the system (the second I saw this line drawing nonsense, I knew that it would be disastrous) and with those who were faced, very early on, with a barrage of stupid offsides on the basis of toes etc, and who did not step in to change the way VAR was operating immediately.

Yeah well that I can agree with, although the major difference was that whenever it was toenail level close, people didn’t complain as much. But that’s the issue I guess that it’s what everyone who operates VAR, whether that’s prem, LaLiga, Serie A, fifa or Uefa officials are all told to do.
As unless VAR goes fullstop and we don’t use semi-automated offsides, then that won’t be changing anytime soon irrelevant of whether we have this daylight rule or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024