Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus - Panic or not? 22:29 - Feb 27 with 1470 viewsSaintsforeverj

Have had a letter from kids school stating advice about coronavirus. Had an email from work stating advice. Hearing in the news that they are closing doctors, restaurants, schools and that they might play football matches behind closed doors. Is all of this really necessary? What is to stop someone infected from going to the shops or pub and infecting any of us there? What are we going to do, close everything? Will it not just do the rounds next winter anyway, like all the other colds and flu?

I am not a medic or an expert, but from what I have read, most people just get mild cold or flu. The flu kills people yet we are not closing places because someone had the flu.

Genuine concern or some rediculous panic?

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 22:35 - Feb 27 with 1459 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

As I posted in another thread. You can be vaccinated against the most common flu strains every year, as I am. I get this for free as I have bronchiectasis.

There is no vaccine for Covid-19 yet. It's a respiratory virus, so if I get it, I'm pretty f**ked in all honesty as are all the other people with various lung imperfections. The NHS is f**ked as it is, let alone a shi*t load of us descending on them requiring life support.

The majority of people will be fine, but with 10% or so potentially requiring hospitalisation from it, that's a strain the NHS can do without. Also, I'd quite like to be around a bit longer.

So yes, absolutely, contain it NOW and eradicate it as best it can be.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 06:43 - Feb 28 with 1393 viewsKennington

Be sensible and wash your hands, bin snotty tissues etc. But no need to panic.

For once today’s The Sun front page has things spot on with sensible advice.

Re financial panic. As there are quite a few economists and business experts on here, is it a good time to buy some share bargains or is there a fair way more for markets to drop?

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 08:50 - Feb 28 with 1313 viewsarfurdent

Like the poor diseases and viral infections will be forever with us. Viruses have a right to live and are Nature's housesweepers.

This should be Darwinism at its best with the survival of the strong. Modern life has insulated people from germs leading to a reduction in natural resistance and an increase in all sorts of allergies. When I was young we were sent to play with other kids who had measels, chicken pox and mumps to build up immunity. It was normal to play in streams, eat worms and play in cornfields. This helped it seems although I do accept modern medicine has improved life provided the NHS has the capacity to deliver the benefits.

Today in an antiseptic society natural immunity is lower and the regular virus pandemics (e.g. Black Death and Spanish Flu) seem to run amok. All we get is useless information from Civil Servants who have access to private healthcare.

Who can forget at the height of the Mad Cow Disease hysteria you had pictures of Selwyn Gummer letting his child eat a beefburger. A few years ago a neighbour died of CJD, the actual CJD death rate is being carefully masked by official sources. Hence why many countries will still not allow the import of British Beef.

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 09:25 - Feb 28 with 1284 viewsCity_boy

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 06:43 - Feb 28 by Kennington

Be sensible and wash your hands, bin snotty tissues etc. But no need to panic.

For once today’s The Sun front page has things spot on with sensible advice.

Re financial panic. As there are quite a few economists and business experts on here, is it a good time to buy some share bargains or is there a fair way more for markets to drop?

Re. question on time to buy ? It’s so hard to catch the right time to enter. I have considered this but decided to stay out (and also not selling). The markets are totally irrational at the moment.

Any buying opportunity has to be long term and there are a number of good high dividend stocks out there, and companies that prior to the fall in markets had good balance sheets, growth and sustainability records. These companies will recover more quickly. Travel and transport sectors, which have dropped massively will take a longer to recover.

On whether to sell, that depends on a number of factors, not least market conditions, but your reason for buying the shares in first place (e.g. capital growth or dividend for income etc.). If you sell, you could miss out on generous dividends issued whilst out. These dividends can be used to re-invest in shares at cheaper prices. It will be hard to predict when to enter back in and left with cash with no-where to invest with interest rates low.

If you do decide to buy, do your research. Have a target price in mind. Create a ‘watch list’. Stick to investment principles (P/E ratios, balance sheets, growth, diversification etc.) Don’t take analyst ‘hot tips’ at face value.

To mitigate the risk, perhaps consider a balanced or tracker fund?
Confused ? Don’t worry most people are at the moment.
Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 14:48 - Feb 28 with 1161 viewsMr_Happy

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 08:50 - Feb 28 by arfurdent

Like the poor diseases and viral infections will be forever with us. Viruses have a right to live and are Nature's housesweepers.

This should be Darwinism at its best with the survival of the strong. Modern life has insulated people from germs leading to a reduction in natural resistance and an increase in all sorts of allergies. When I was young we were sent to play with other kids who had measels, chicken pox and mumps to build up immunity. It was normal to play in streams, eat worms and play in cornfields. This helped it seems although I do accept modern medicine has improved life provided the NHS has the capacity to deliver the benefits.

Today in an antiseptic society natural immunity is lower and the regular virus pandemics (e.g. Black Death and Spanish Flu) seem to run amok. All we get is useless information from Civil Servants who have access to private healthcare.

Who can forget at the height of the Mad Cow Disease hysteria you had pictures of Selwyn Gummer letting his child eat a beefburger. A few years ago a neighbour died of CJD, the actual CJD death rate is being carefully masked by official sources. Hence why many countries will still not allow the import of British Beef.

Looks like it might kill half the brexit voters pal,that would be Darwinism at it's best.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 16:20 - Feb 28 with 1107 viewsarfurdent

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 14:48 - Feb 28 by Mr_Happy

Looks like it might kill half the brexit voters pal,that would be Darwinism at it's best.

as long as it kills the half that talks

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 16:31 - Feb 28 with 1093 viewsfranniesTache

F*ck me has this site now sunk to eugenics
Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 18:08 - Feb 28 with 1032 viewsKennington

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 09:25 - Feb 28 by City_boy

Re. question on time to buy ? It’s so hard to catch the right time to enter. I have considered this but decided to stay out (and also not selling). The markets are totally irrational at the moment.

Any buying opportunity has to be long term and there are a number of good high dividend stocks out there, and companies that prior to the fall in markets had good balance sheets, growth and sustainability records. These companies will recover more quickly. Travel and transport sectors, which have dropped massively will take a longer to recover.

On whether to sell, that depends on a number of factors, not least market conditions, but your reason for buying the shares in first place (e.g. capital growth or dividend for income etc.). If you sell, you could miss out on generous dividends issued whilst out. These dividends can be used to re-invest in shares at cheaper prices. It will be hard to predict when to enter back in and left with cash with no-where to invest with interest rates low.

If you do decide to buy, do your research. Have a target price in mind. Create a ‘watch list’. Stick to investment principles (P/E ratios, balance sheets, growth, diversification etc.) Don’t take analyst ‘hot tips’ at face value.

To mitigate the risk, perhaps consider a balanced or tracker fund?
Confused ? Don’t worry most people are at the moment.

Helpful thoughts City, cheers!

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 09:15 - Feb 29 with 896 viewsOccasional_Showers

I use carbolic soap that is made in Jamaica and is the proper stuff. The EU banned it as they in their infinite wisdom said it was an irritant. There were also some nonsense stories about it being carsenogentic(sp). It’s what was used in hospitals for years and it also contains coal tar. It has completely cleared up my psoriasis. The reason I mention it is because as a hand santitizer I doubt there is anything more effective. I just don’t use it on my face as was told not to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Power-Carbolic-Soap-110g/dp/B00MPCQHFI/ref=pd_sbs_

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 11:45 - Feb 29 with 858 viewsdirk_doone

I see it's reached Surrey. That's Greater Portsmouth. isn't it? The next generation of Hampshire's greatest footballers could be at risk there.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 14:01 - Feb 29 with 812 viewsCapt_Koons

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 14:48 - Feb 28 by Mr_Happy

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 13:25 - Mar 1 with 738 viewsRednWight

Apparently the government is considering banning large gatherings of people
Good news for the skates They’ll still be able to continue as normal

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Coronavirus - Panic or not? (n/t) on 15:20 - Mar 1 with 704 viewsDellHero

Coronavirus - Panic or not? on 13:25 - Mar 1 by RednWight

Apparently the government is considering banning large gatherings of people
Good news for the skates They’ll still be able to continue as normal

[Post edited 10 May 2020 18:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024