Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game 09:25 - Oct 30 with 833 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/53259/hasenhuttl-has-a-b

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 09:52 - Oct 30 with 815 viewsSonicBoom

Redmond is an odd one.
As you say Nick successive managers have picked him - but you're also right that the fans don't always appreciate him. I think you are harsh on the fans though as you often are. They are not some baying mob wanting to ruin their own players. Players are largely judged by their "average" rating with fans. There will be those that think Redmond is fantastic and there are those that think he is terrible. But over time the majority of the fanbase form an opinion on a player and it's generally about right. Even more so than the "experts" who often have their own opinion based on watching the highlights of a game.

I think Redmond's fundamental problem is that he is extremely frustrating. He does some great things and his work rate is excellent however I disagree with you totally - it's his end product that is lacking.
He is almost a victim of his own success in that he gets in loads of great situations and gets fans hopes up, then he picks the wrong pass, or overhits it or cuts inside and smacks it over the bar.
I'd say he gets in better positions, more often than Armstrong, but Armstrong makes better use of them so is less frustrating for the fans. It's a strange phenomena but I think it's absolutely true.
Then again with better end product Redmond would be Raheem Stirling and would be playing for City.
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:21 - Oct 30 with 793 viewsA1079

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 09:52 - Oct 30 by SonicBoom

Redmond is an odd one.
As you say Nick successive managers have picked him - but you're also right that the fans don't always appreciate him. I think you are harsh on the fans though as you often are. They are not some baying mob wanting to ruin their own players. Players are largely judged by their "average" rating with fans. There will be those that think Redmond is fantastic and there are those that think he is terrible. But over time the majority of the fanbase form an opinion on a player and it's generally about right. Even more so than the "experts" who often have their own opinion based on watching the highlights of a game.

I think Redmond's fundamental problem is that he is extremely frustrating. He does some great things and his work rate is excellent however I disagree with you totally - it's his end product that is lacking.
He is almost a victim of his own success in that he gets in loads of great situations and gets fans hopes up, then he picks the wrong pass, or overhits it or cuts inside and smacks it over the bar.
I'd say he gets in better positions, more often than Armstrong, but Armstrong makes better use of them so is less frustrating for the fans. It's a strange phenomena but I think it's absolutely true.
Then again with better end product Redmond would be Raheem Stirling and would be playing for City.

Sonic has it spot on.

I am not aware of anyone hating Redmond - why would we? He has been a good servant and no one doubts his work rate, but I disagree with your statement Nick that he has an end product. All too often he doesn't and in fact his final ball, his final third and his poor conversion rate is what frustrates the fans. He is not an automatic pick for me and I think he has been given alot of rope by some of our managers, but that said, I would not drop him for this weekend and neither would I necessarily make a change to the team from last weekend unless Ralph thinks there is a tactically sound reason for doing so.

I hope Redmond has a good game as no one wants him not to. Even better if he scores or sets up a goal or two.
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:26 - Oct 30 with 791 viewsSaintNick

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 09:52 - Oct 30 by SonicBoom

Redmond is an odd one.

You are right football is a game about opinions and although there is no baying mob, various conversations have led me to believe that whatever Redmond does he will be slagged off, im not being harsh on all our fans but a sizeable minority, back in 2014-16 that minority were on the back of Pelle & Mane and it has continued.

If you look at the stats then Redmond has the best end product, in the Premier League for us, last season only Ing's, JWP & Armstrong had more goals, the latter two only 1 more each, in 18/19 only Ings and JWP on 7 scored more than Redmond on 6.

Last season Redmond led the assists with 4 and it was the same in 18/19

In terms of shots Redmond was second only to Ings last season and in 2018/19 had more shots than anyone by a long chalk, 74 with only Ings and Hojbjerg getting more than half that total.

People get on about his finishing, but in big chances missed last season he missed 3 and was in 6th place at Saints in that category, in 18/19 he missed 6th and was in 2nd place.

So overall his end game is up there with everyone bar Ings.

I see your points about Armstrong, but they are different kinds of players, Armstrong sits deeper and makes late runs into the box, he is more a Dave Armstrong type of player, he is not a winger who takes on full backs and gets in crosses.

Goals and chances were hard to come by for much of last season for Saints, I saw Redmnd and for that matter others to get into good positions and then struggle to find anyone in the boc because Ings was often on his own, this season could be different as we now have Adams.

You quote what is known as the wisdom of crowds theory, that if you take a overall viewpoint the middle ground is sometimes right, but in football that is often inaccurate as social media distorts it, people look at what they are seeing on social media and are swayed by those shouting loudest so to speak.

But I thin you do have a point over his four years here Redmond has been a good steady player for us somewhere in the middle but we have to take into account that when we talk about end product, for much of his time here he has been hitting crosses at one man up front, often one that is not the greatest forward we have seen.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:29 - Oct 30 with 790 viewsSaintNick

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:21 - Oct 30 by A1079

Sonic has it spot on.

I am not aware of anyone hating Redmond - why would we? He has been a good servant and no one doubts his work rate, but I disagree with your statement Nick that he has an end product. All too often he doesn't and in fact his final ball, his final third and his poor conversion rate is what frustrates the fans. He is not an automatic pick for me and I think he has been given alot of rope by some of our managers, but that said, I would not drop him for this weekend and neither would I necessarily make a change to the team from last weekend unless Ralph thinks there is a tactically sound reason for doing so.

I hope Redmond has a good game as no one wants him not to. Even better if he scores or sets up a goal or two.

A1079, I have been in two large groups of Saints fans this week where several where spitting feathers about Redmond, you say he is not an automatic pick, this season I think you are right, but the last two seasons he has been because he has had no competition

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:30 - Oct 30 with 787 viewsJaySaint

Redmond is a good player who is not at his best form. Rightly, he now has serious competition for his spot and should he be dropped for Villa (which I do not believe will happen), he would have no complaints

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 13:49 - Oct 30 with 691 viewssaint22

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:29 - Oct 30 by SaintNick

A1079, I have been in two large groups of Saints fans this week where several where spitting feathers about Redmond, you say he is not an automatic pick, this season I think you are right, but the last two seasons he has been because he has had no competition

I do hope those groups weren't larger than 6
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 13:51 - Oct 30 with 691 viewsSonicBoom

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:29 - Oct 30 by SaintNick

Good replies Nick.

I'll just pick you up on one thing. Spitting feathers is a phrase that means you have a dry throat and need a drink ! I don't think it means you are angry!
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 14:51 - Oct 30 with 651 viewsNYC_Saint

I appreciate this is about Redmond, but given how well JWP neutralized Grealish in the summer, I wonder whether the selection dilemma would be to disrupt the team and bit and put him at right back for KWP and bring Diallo into midfield. Or even push JWP up to offer more protection to KWP and drop Armstrong, again bringing Diallo into the CM spot. Or do you think we are playing well enough to not tinker for a specific threat down our right flank?
Login to get fewer ads

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 15:02 - Oct 30 with 642 viewssaint22

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 14:51 - Oct 30 by NYC_Saint

I appreciate this is about Redmond, but given how well JWP neutralized Grealish in the summer, I wonder whether the selection dilemma would be to disrupt the team and bit and put him at right back for KWP and bring Diallo into midfield. Or even push JWP up to offer more protection to KWP and drop Armstrong, again bringing Diallo into the CM spot. Or do you think we are playing well enough to not tinker for a specific threat down our right flank?

i think grealish and watkins fleet of foot will be bednarek and vestergaards biggest test so far
maybe salisu will start?
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 15:47 - Oct 30 with 607 viewsInsideOut

Fitness aside, Ralph should play the exact same team that have been playing well recently. So Redmond and Armstrong start. Walcott, Djenepo, Salisu and all the rest need to earn a place on the bench and impress if called upon in order to have any chance of making the starting lineup when a starter is unavailable through injury or suspension. Being out of the league cup early and not playing in europe means we can keep to this for as long as results are good. It would be odd for Ralph to change the team otherwise.

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 15:59 - Oct 30 with 601 viewsButty101

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 15:02 - Oct 30 by saint22

i think grealish and watkins fleet of foot will be bednarek and vestergaards biggest test so far
maybe salisu will start?

Why would you break up a defense that has tighten up and bring in someone thats totally unproven??

Go with the same as v Everton, with walcott coming on and doing damage against tired legs.

One thing im interested to see this season is the return of the wonder kids Bale and Walcott. Bale has got off to something of a stinker :-)

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 18:46 - Oct 30 with 516 viewsBicester_North

Redmond is an odd one.

This is spot on for me. He seems to go through purple patches where he’s excellent but large parts of the season goes off the boil with the end product.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 07:53 - Oct 31 with 401 viewskernow

Frustrating player to watch with flashes of occasional brilliance.
Lallana had the same effect, frustrating, but he improved with age. Don't see that with Redmond though. It's good that there are alternatives and competition for his place. He might, and needs to up his game.
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 08:16 - Oct 31 with 393 viewsHeisenberg

Ralph said last week was one of the best performances since he had been at Saints. A clean sheet against a high flying Everton and Calvert Lewis hardly got a touch. Redmond played well although for me wasnt man of the man. Romeou deserved that.

Why change a winning side. Same starting 11 for me with Theo coming off the bench if we are chasing the game.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 08:27 - Oct 31 with 384 viewssaint22

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 08:16 - Oct 31 by Heisenberg

Ralph said last week was one of the best performances since he had been at Saints. A clean sheet against a high flying Everton and Calvert Lewis hardly got a touch. Redmond played well although for me wasnt man of the man. Romeou deserved that.

Why change a winning side. Same starting 11 for me with Theo coming off the bench if we are chasing the game.

DCL is an entirely different striker to Watkins
Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 10:36 - Oct 31 with 349 viewskingslandstand1

Hasenhuttl Has A Big Call To Make On Nathan Redmond For Villa Game on 13:51 - Oct 30 by SonicBoom

Good replies Nick.

I'll just pick you up on one thing. Spitting feathers is a phrase that means you have a dry throat and need a drink ! I don't think it means you are angry!

Pedant of the week
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024