Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slow build up 17:28 - Mar 14 with 1207 viewsrobcoe5

Yet again slow moving forward
Why do we play so many passes across the back
It’s ok keeping it, but the other team have set their shape, we don’t have a player who can open up defences.
We need to catch teams early. What is wrong with playing a longer ball and winning the second ball
Even Man City try that at times
Today even when there was only a few minutes to go we still tried passing it around
The whole team including the manager need to wake and get back to basic football
Slow build up on 17:41 - Mar 14 with 1182 viewsDorsetIan

Brighton were defending deep in the second half and it's always hard to break though when a team are defending with, effectively, two banks of defenders.

The thing that gets me is that none of the 'wingers' tries to get past the full back to put a ball in from the byline. Djenepo, Redmond, and KWP all seem incapable of giving it a go.

Also, with a player like JWP in the team, every time we get the ball anywhere near the area, why aren't we running at them? Do it often enough and there are bound to be free kicks.

At the moment, they are lacking ideas, confidence and someone to push them forward. Even in the very final seconds, Redmond chose to pass it sideways rather than speculate with a cross into the box.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Slow build up on 19:30 - Mar 14 with 1096 viewssaint22

Slow build up on 17:41 - Mar 14 by DorsetIan

Brighton were defending deep in the second half and it's always hard to break though when a team are defending with, effectively, two banks of defenders.

The thing that gets me is that none of the 'wingers' tries to get past the full back to put a ball in from the byline. Djenepo, Redmond, and KWP all seem incapable of giving it a go.

Also, with a player like JWP in the team, every time we get the ball anywhere near the area, why aren't we running at them? Do it often enough and there are bound to be free kicks.

At the moment, they are lacking ideas, confidence and someone to push them forward. Even in the very final seconds, Redmond chose to pass it sideways rather than speculate with a cross into the box.

None of our attacking midfielders or wingers ever seem to want to attack! Armstrong does occasionally but Redmond djenepo and now even minamino seem to always cut back instead of engaging the full back and making the commit too a tackle
Given minamino only just arrived it makes you wonder if that’s a tactic from coaching??
When Djenepo first arrived he was always taking people on scoring and winning free kicks now, not so much
Very odd
Slow build up on 19:40 - Mar 14 with 1080 viewssaint22

Home to Burnley next
Only one result that game will have
Slow build up on 19:40 - Mar 14 with 1080 viewsSonicBoom

I think Ralph drills them so they play that way.
Djnepo took people on but he was useless without the ball. Now he's more disciplined and covers his full back but he is so focussed on that it's detracted from his unpredictability going forwards.
To me it looks like the instruction is to keep the ball at all times. No one of the players want to be the one that gives it away so consequently no one plays a pass that might unlock a defence. They won't take the risk, consequently we play in front of the opposition.

We look decent on the ball, but other teams know how to handle us now. Today is worrying as we had pretty much a full side out there and we looked lost.
Slow build up on 19:59 - Mar 14 with 1052 viewsgrumpy

When I played the game it was considered wrong to pass the ball across and just in front of your goalkeeper,. There's little point in playing so many sideway passes in your own half it just gives the opposition time to organize their defence.
What concerned me most about today was the team didn't appear to believe in what they were doing.
Brighton look far more positive.
In the last few minutes we won a corner, why didn't Ralph say to Foster to stand in the box and make a nuisance of himself, there was nothing to lose?
Why do we have this second half blues its really hurting us now.
Slow build up on 20:12 - Mar 14 with 1032 viewsKennington

Our fitness coach(es) should all be sacked. I don’t understand why they can’t run for more than 45 minutes twice a week. The fade in the second half game after game is so predictable. I wonder if some of our players are really athletes at all. Take Redmond or Adams or any number of others, they are neat and tidy but they have no stamina. If I was their fitness coach I’d have them do at least one long run of say 15 miles a week in training to work on their endurance. Being an amateur endurance runner, I’m embarrassed watching these players panting, doing the double teapot hand on hips or shrugging their shoulders after an hour. Pathetic.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 20:16]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Slow build up on 21:02 - Mar 14 with 981 viewsTimSaint

We are so slow with our attacks, it gives the opposition plenty of time to get back and defend in numbers and in shape.

We've been passing it around the area between the half way line and the opponent's box, hoping for some magic to open up a defence or create a chance, for all the years since Koeman left.

The only difference is, this season we actually look to pass it back as our first option, are much slower, have even less urgency and are even more predictable with our play - making us so easy to defend against. Oh and we are our own worst enemies, giving the ball away so much, as well as gifting the opposition needless chances every single game !!

It is the same every time we chase the game. We needed to score two to win, yet we don't even show enough urgency to score one.

Ralph gambled with his team selection v City for today's game and lost. Our next 2 games ARE our whole season. Get em in for training tomorrow, get back to basics and work on ways to beat an above average Championship side AND a below average Prem side.

TimSaint

Slow build up on 21:11 - Mar 14 with 965 viewssaint22

Slow build up on 21:02 - Mar 14 by TimSaint

We are so slow with our attacks, it gives the opposition plenty of time to get back and defend in numbers and in shape.

We've been passing it around the area between the half way line and the opponent's box, hoping for some magic to open up a defence or create a chance, for all the years since Koeman left.

The only difference is, this season we actually look to pass it back as our first option, are much slower, have even less urgency and are even more predictable with our play - making us so easy to defend against. Oh and we are our own worst enemies, giving the ball away so much, as well as gifting the opposition needless chances every single game !!

It is the same every time we chase the game. We needed to score two to win, yet we don't even show enough urgency to score one.

Ralph gambled with his team selection v City for today's game and lost. Our next 2 games ARE our whole season. Get em in for training tomorrow, get back to basics and work on ways to beat an above average Championship side AND a below average Prem side.

I have been saying that for ages
We are never quick to spring attacks, the keeper never releases the ball quickly, our throw ins take an age there has been a lack of urgency and pace for a long time and as our confidence shrinks the team has shrunk further back
It’s astonishing how poorly we are playing compared to how we looked at the end of last season
We bounced back from the first 9-0 but the second seems to have almost down for us
Looks like we are desperate for a rebuild from the top down
Login to get fewer ads

Slow build up on 12:28 - Mar 15 with 834 viewsBerber

Slow build up on 17:41 - Mar 14 by DorsetIan

I agree with this though.
Slow build up on 12:41 - Mar 15 with 829 viewsSadoldgit

Isn’t the plan to work the ball back and forth across the back trying to draw teams out and looking for gaps and then launching an attack when the time is right? Teams have sussed it out and are happy for us to waste time with possession in areas that don’t hurt them.
Slow build up on 12:56 - Mar 15 with 824 viewsSonicBoom

Here's the info I alluded to earlier. It was posted by Supersonic (no relation !!) on Saints web.
Doesn't make great reading....

Most worrying, for me, is our second half form, we are just totally, totally ineffective in the second half of games. Teams know if they can keep us out for the first hour, we are done, and all they have to do is stay fairly solid and we're toast, today's game was a very accurate reflection on how ineffective we've become; we just don't look like getting back into any game.

Since we beat Newcastle and went top, we've played 21 league games.

In the second half of those games alone, we've only scored 7 goals and conceded 21. We've lost 10 of those 21 second halves and dropped 11 points (compared to just 3 points gained).

We've also only scored 3 goals later than the 60 minute mark in those 21 games (Ings v Brighton; Adams & Redmond v Sheff Utd), meaning we haven't scored later than the 55th minutes for 17 (yes, SEVENTEEN!) games.

Notable second half failings in this time include:

- Man Utd (H) - utter capitulation from 2-0 up to a 3-2 defeat

- Arsenal (A) - played against 10 men for 27 minutes, mustered a woeful 1 shot on target

- Man Utd (A) - less said about that the better

- Newcastle (A) - although we won the second half 1-0, we played 40 mins against 10 men and 12 minutes against 9

- Wolves (H) - utter capitulation again going from a comfortable 1-0 lead to a 2-1 defeat, no sign of getting back in game once behind

- Leeds (A) - another crumbling, conceding 3 unanswered goals and not looking like scoring

- Everton (A) - Only shot on target was in 89th minute

- Brighton (H) - lost second half 1-0, ZERO shots at goal after the 60th minute.

Very, very worrying trend indeed. Not sure we get anything from Burnley or Palace games coming up.
Slow build up on 13:42 - Mar 15 with 805 viewsdirk_doone

Yes, the last quarter especially is when we go into our sideways passing in front of the opposition's defence mode, with almost no likelihood of us ever taking a shot at goal.

If you watch Man City, you'll notice they don't line their attack up in front of the opposition's defence to pass sideways to each other like we do but place players in amongst them so they can make forward passes into the penalty area.

Occasionally, in the final minute of added time, our players finally realize that the sideways passing is a waste of time and do actually try to run forward and shoot but it's too late:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/270014/southampton-v-br

[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 13:54]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Slow build up on 13:54 - Mar 15 with 784 viewsDorsetIan

I'm guessing that there are two issues.

First, this team's tactics just doesn't include a 'throw caution to the wind and the kitchen sink at the opposition to nick a late goal' option. We're always trying to be too clever. And it is very very difficult to break down two banks of defenders with intricate passes, even with the beat players in the world.

Secondly, we don't have anyone on the bench who we can bring on to pile pressure on the defenders, or even to give them something a bit different to cope with. A big target man or someone with just electric pace, who can rip through tired defenders. At best our subs maintain the status quo, but more usually they actually worsen the team. Boufal came on against Watford at home a couple of years ago and turned the game on its head. We bring on subs but the team just keeps doing the same plodding things.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Slow build up on 14:01 - Mar 15 with 775 viewssaint22

Slow build up on 12:56 - Mar 15 by SonicBoom

Here's the info I alluded to earlier. It was posted by Supersonic (no relation !!) on Saints web.
Doesn't make great reading....

Most worrying, for me, is our second half form, we are just totally, totally ineffective in the second half of games. Teams know if they can keep us out for the first hour, we are done, and all they have to do is stay fairly solid and we're toast, today's game was a very accurate reflection on how ineffective we've become; we just don't look like getting back into any game.

Since we beat Newcastle and went top, we've played 21 league games.

In the second half of those games alone, we've only scored 7 goals and conceded 21. We've lost 10 of those 21 second halves and dropped 11 points (compared to just 3 points gained).

We've also only scored 3 goals later than the 60 minute mark in those 21 games (Ings v Brighton; Adams & Redmond v Sheff Utd), meaning we haven't scored later than the 55th minutes for 17 (yes, SEVENTEEN!) games.

Notable second half failings in this time include:

- Man Utd (H) - utter capitulation from 2-0 up to a 3-2 defeat

- Arsenal (A) - played against 10 men for 27 minutes, mustered a woeful 1 shot on target

- Man Utd (A) - less said about that the better

- Newcastle (A) - although we won the second half 1-0, we played 40 mins against 10 men and 12 minutes against 9

- Wolves (H) - utter capitulation again going from a comfortable 1-0 lead to a 2-1 defeat, no sign of getting back in game once behind

- Leeds (A) - another crumbling, conceding 3 unanswered goals and not looking like scoring

- Everton (A) - Only shot on target was in 89th minute

- Brighton (H) - lost second half 1-0, ZERO shots at goal after the 60th minute.

Very, very worrying trend indeed. Not sure we get anything from Burnley or Palace games coming up.

Hugely worrying and it appears no idea how to play differently
You could always put it down to our high tempo pressing in the first half and fatigue setting in but recently thats vanished too, so wtf is up with them?
No faith or think we are safe?
I can only see us getting points from WBA tbh as it stands
Burnley are just the type of team we can't play against and also a team who know how to get results
Obviously I dont want us to go down but I seriously think we may
Slow build up on 14:35 - Mar 15 with 764 viewsKennington

Slow build up on 14:01 - Mar 15 by saint22

Hugely worrying and it appears no idea how to play differently
You could always put it down to our high tempo pressing in the first half and fatigue setting in but recently thats vanished too, so wtf is up with them?
No faith or think we are safe?
I can only see us getting points from WBA tbh as it stands
Burnley are just the type of team we can't play against and also a team who know how to get results
Obviously I dont want us to go down but I seriously think we may

There seems some attempt to press early in first halfs, but that now fizzles out long before half time.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Slow build up on 14:52 - Mar 15 with 758 viewsRon11

Slow build up on 14:35 - Mar 15 by Kennington

There seems some attempt to press early in first halfs, but that now fizzles out long before half time.

If it's fizzling out, they're either not fit enough or they're fed up with the way Ralph wants them to play.
If that's the case, he might as well give up now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024