Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 3 memories of Bucharest away 12:31 - Oct 15 with 2055 viewsPatfromPoole

1. The wild dogs

2. The ground; it made Fratton look like Spurs’ new ground

3. The local dibble; there was a lady who came and stood near me in the ground, and she looked like Nikita in the Elton John video. Would have had a pic with her if I hadn’t have stupidly taken my missus with me 🙄

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 13:08 - Oct 15 with 2000 viewsIanSouthstander

1. The Cotton Club.

2. Mental taxi drivers.

3. Coach being pushed in stadium car park and local police and military cadets help pushing and me falling into a drainage ditch.

Best away trip ever.
Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 13:40 - Oct 15 with 1974 viewsWints76

Having a meal with the BBC South Today sports reporters and Dave Merrington. We were all looking for different things from the trip

Pizza Hut staff driving us back to our hotel as they felt bad as they couldn't get us a taxi. We tipped them and it turns out we gave them each about 1/3 of the average monthly wage

Going in to a pole dancing club (only place open). The door slammed ominously behind us and we were a bit worried. Walked downstairs and half of Southampton were down there, including my old man's work partner

Swapping a scarf with a local and receiving a flea ridden rag in return. Being horrendously ill a day or two after getting back

Worrying whether it would be televised in Hot Shots back homr

Top trip away.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 13:42]
Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:28 - Oct 15 with 1882 viewsSalisburySaint

2 wcs for whole away section, so everyone p*ssed on grass bank, god help you if you were a women or needed a sh*t
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 18:35]
Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:47 - Oct 15 with 1872 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:28 - Oct 15 by SalisburySaint

2 wcs for whole away section, so everyone p*ssed on grass bank, god help you if you were a women or needed a sh*t

My wife was distinctly unamused by the toilets at the ground……

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:59 - Oct 15 with 1863 viewscocklebreath

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:28 - Oct 15 by SalisburySaint

Mmmm that might have been me 😵‍💫

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:00 - Oct 16 with 1637 viewsTimSaint

1. We decided to go quite late on. The journey there - Drive to Woking train station (to use a free BR parking pass), Rail - Air Coach link to Heathrow. BA to Sofia using my mate's Mum's air miles to reduce the cost. Taxi to Railway station. Overnight train to Bucharest. Tube to our apartment. Taxi from Irish Bar to, well, quite close to the Stadium.

2. Already mentioned, but the shit stadium and lack of loos. Must have been rivers of piss flowing down that bank !! Got a West Ham mate who went there for a Europa game recently and said it was superb - but it has been completely rebuilt :-)

3. A random bloke in the Irish Bar and in the stadium, constantly going on about the fact he got a blowie for 5 Euros !!

4. Getting credited something like an £18 (?) Saints Shop Voucher, after it was established that Lowe was ripping the fans off, charging us £20 for tickets that had a £2 face value in local money (Leu).

TimSaint

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 08:48 - Oct 17 with 1466 viewsarfurdent

Flew from Bournemouth on a non club package.

Loved the seats in the stadium - loose and covered in guano

Great Irish bar

Did the tour around Ceaușescu's Palace, impressive

Pretty whores in the hotel lounge

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:16 - Oct 17 with 1339 viewsLondonSaint76

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 13:40 - Oct 15 by Wints76

Having a meal with the BBC South Today sports reporters and Dave Merrington. We were all looking for different things from the trip

Pizza Hut staff driving us back to our hotel as they felt bad as they couldn't get us a taxi. We tipped them and it turns out we gave them each about 1/3 of the average monthly wage

Going in to a pole dancing club (only place open). The door slammed ominously behind us and we were a bit worried. Walked downstairs and half of Southampton were down there, including my old man's work partner

Swapping a scarf with a local and receiving a flea ridden rag in return. Being horrendously ill a day or two after getting back

Worrying whether it would be televised in Hot Shots back homr

Top trip away.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 13:42]

That club you mention was called Lucky Love - still there today by all accounts. A group of us did the 4 night trip so we found it on the Tuesday night, it was quite quiet that night and it turned into a good evening so we spread the word, on Wednesday night the place was rammed with Saints fans. I remember the bar manageress saying that the Wed night was their record takings for one night, it stayed open until 4am but I reckon it was more like 5am on the Wed night. One of the girls ended up on stage doing a routine wearing a Saints shirt that belonged to another regular forum poster if memory serves me correctly 😀
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 17:56]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Login to get fewer ads

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:37 - Oct 17 with 1327 viewsLondonSaint76

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 13:08 - Oct 15 by IanSouthstander

1. The Cotton Club.

2. Mental taxi drivers.

3. Coach being pushed in stadium car park and local police and military cadets help pushing and me falling into a drainage ditch.

Best away trip ever.

Talking of mental taxi drivers, we were in a taxi stuck in the pre-match traffic jam, we could see the floodlights in the distance so we offered the driver the equivalent of a £10 tip if he got us near to the ground by KO. That was motivation enough for him to drive through a flimsy garden fence and through a few front gardens then back onto the pavement to get to a roundabout where the traffic was moving in the direction we needed to go. Just about made it in time.

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 17:54 - Oct 17 with 1288 viewsLondonSaint76

1 - Thanks to BA hiking the return fare to Heathrow from £49 to £849 immediately after the draw was made a group of us flew to Budapest then went both ways to / from Bucharest by a wannabe Orient Express sleeper complete with individual wood panelled sleeping compartments. Eating dinner whilst travelling through Transylvania on a moonlight night was memorable.

2 - The trip to Dracula’s Castle that included a hair raising minibus trip up a narrow mountain road was also memorable. Highlight of the castle tour was one of our party climbing over the ropes to have his photo taken lying down on Dracula’s 4 poster bed whilst the tour guide was out of the room

3 - Going into a Steaua Ultras drinking den after the game to rescue the Dutch Saints SC members who obviously hadn’t got the memo about avoiding them! Ended up talking to the guy behind the goal who had the PA system and the big drum. Turns out those little rascals from Fratton Park had contacted them by email prior to the game to tell them the Saints fans were all a bunch of hard nut lunatics going out there to cause mayhem so they needed to prepare a proper ambush. Fortunately the away game was the second leg and they sent a couple of their lieutenants over to St Mary’s - conclusion they came to? You are all pussycats!
When we left to go back to the city centre the Ultra I had been talking to warned us the taxi driver might rip us off so he came out and spoke to him - God knows what he said to the driver but he looked petrified and refused to take any money at the end of the journey so we just left him some cash on the front passenger seat.

Agreed, a brilliant away trip, glad we did the 4 nights and overland from Budapest.

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 20:04 - Oct 17 with 1244 viewskernow

Wasn’t able make the trip but some great recollections here.
I imagine Bucharest has changed a lot in 20 years.
Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 14:38 - Oct 18 with 1072 viewsSaintNick

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 16:00 - Oct 16 by TimSaint

1. We decided to go quite late on. The journey there - Drive to Woking train station (to use a free BR parking pass), Rail - Air Coach link to Heathrow. BA to Sofia using my mate's Mum's air miles to reduce the cost. Taxi to Railway station. Overnight train to Bucharest. Tube to our apartment. Taxi from Irish Bar to, well, quite close to the Stadium.

2. Already mentioned, but the shit stadium and lack of loos. Must have been rivers of piss flowing down that bank !! Got a West Ham mate who went there for a Europa game recently and said it was superb - but it has been completely rebuilt :-)

3. A random bloke in the Irish Bar and in the stadium, constantly going on about the fact he got a blowie for 5 Euros !!

4. Getting credited something like an £18 (?) Saints Shop Voucher, after it was established that Lowe was ripping the fans off, charging us £20 for tickets that had a £2 face value in local money (Leu).

With regard to the tickets, the villains of the piece were Steau Bucharest and not SFC or Rupert Lowe, the price for a ticket in the home sections was around £2, but they insisted they could charge us £20, with the game only weeks away we had no time to argue and sold the tickets and then took up the argument with UEFA, we won and thus Steau were ordered to refund the £18 difference.

I think Saints either offered a cash refund, a shop voucher or you could donate to the Saints foundation charity.

It makes a good story to paint Lowe in a bad light, but credit were credit was due he fought the fans corner and got the money back.

The tickets like all tickets for away games either domestic or European competition have the prices set and are printed by the home club and not the away club, Lowe couldnt just print up tickets and sell them himself

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 22:56 - Oct 18 with 964 viewsarfurdent

Top 3 memories of Bucharest away on 14:38 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

With regard to the tickets, the villains of the piece were Steau Bucharest and not SFC or Rupert Lowe, the price for a ticket in the home sections was around £2, but they insisted they could charge us £20, with the game only weeks away we had no time to argue and sold the tickets and then took up the argument with UEFA, we won and thus Steau were ordered to refund the £18 difference.

I think Saints either offered a cash refund, a shop voucher or you could donate to the Saints foundation charity.

It makes a good story to paint Lowe in a bad light, but credit were credit was due he fought the fans corner and got the money back.

The tickets like all tickets for away games either domestic or European competition have the prices set and are printed by the home club and not the away club, Lowe couldnt just print up tickets and sell them himself

difficult to say nice things about Lowe but on this issue he did step up and get UEFA to sort it out

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024