Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere 13:29 - Mar 20 with 11602 viewsTrueDaleBlue

I posted this a couple of weeks ago on another thread.
The sooner we get all the home fans in one stand at home the better.
Close the sandy.
Home fans in the wilbutts.
Away fans in the pearl.
Main stand for the match day diners, wags, vip's, and anybody else on a freebie.
Yesterday's atmosphere was the best this season.
Atmosphere on 13:50 - Mar 20 with 6952 viewsrobbowood

But if we did this one side of the ground (Sandy) will be completely empty, the Main Stand will be almost empty and if the away fans bring less than say 300 the Pearl Street will be almost empty

If the away team brings over 500 there is usually no problem with the atmoshpere at Spotland. A lot depends on the action on the pitch to get the fans going

The reason for the atmosphere yesterday was due to the attendance being over 6000 and a local derby - not Oldham vs Colchester on a wet Tuesday night
Atmosphere on 14:00 - Mar 20 with 6916 viewsMoonyDale

Atmosphere on 13:50 - Mar 20 by robbowood

But if we did this one side of the ground (Sandy) will be completely empty, the Main Stand will be almost empty and if the away fans bring less than say 300 the Pearl Street will be almost empty

If the away team brings over 500 there is usually no problem with the atmoshpere at Spotland. A lot depends on the action on the pitch to get the fans going

The reason for the atmosphere yesterday was due to the attendance being over 6000 and a local derby - not Oldham vs Colchester on a wet Tuesday night

What was the away following yesterday?

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Atmosphere on 14:09 - Mar 20 with 6886 viewsLuke8686

Atmosphere on 14:00 - Mar 20 by MoonyDale

1,242 according to Oldham's twitter
Atmosphere on 14:10 - Mar 20 with 6878 views100notout

Atmosphere on 14:00 - Mar 20 by MoonyDale

Radio commentary said it was 1200

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Atmosphere on 14:20 - Mar 20 with 6844 viewsTrueDaleBlue

Atmosphere on 13:50 - Mar 20 by robbowood

But there would be 2200 home fans all in one stand, which would generate a better atmosphere which was basically my point.
A better atmosphere with a win = a better match day experience.
I've been in all three home ends this season, last week against Bury I was in the pearl and could barely hear the sandy sing, likewise when I've been in the sandy you barely hear the pearl sing.
The main stand is what it is.
Atmosphere on 14:23 - Mar 20 with 6827 viewsD_Alien

With the ground now under full ownership, I'd be expecting to see plans forthcoming to redevelop the Sandy in due course.

My suggestion would be a stand with seating at the back and room for about 1000 standing fans at the front. We'd finally have four sides of the ground looking decent and give the club the option of accommodating away fans in either the Willbutts or Pearl St depending on likely numbers.

First up, redevelopment of the main stand internally.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Atmosphere on 14:27 - Mar 20 with 6805 viewsBartRowou

I sit in the Main Stand and can assure you that the volume from both Dale ends versus Bury was the loudest it's been for a long, long time.

You can have your opinion about the Sandy but it seems a bit strange to suggest closing a quarter of the ground in the week we've just become owners of it again.

All it needs is a block in the Wilbutts setting aside for the more vocal Dale fans to congregate. The acoustics in there are as good as the Chaddy End and a hundred fans will be heard right round the ground.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Atmosphere on 14:37 - Mar 20 with 6764 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 14:20 - Mar 20 by TrueDaleBlue

But there would be 2200 home fans all in one stand, which would generate a better atmosphere which was basically my point.
I've been in all three home ends this season, last week against Bury I was in the pearl and could barely hear the sandy sing, likewise when I've been in the sandy you barely hear the pearl sing.

Anybody who visited Edgley Park before they exited the league will know the answer. You fill the TDS and create a caldron of noise behind the goal, get all the singers together. They also do it at Notts County and loads of other grounds. We have one of the smallest crowds in the league so just to shoot ourselves further in the foot let's split the vocal support to hinder us even further, it's a big own goal.

The Sandy is a crap view and the noise is very muted and doesn't travel. When there's plenty in the TDS the atmospheres good. It can't be about preferring to sit or stand because the atmosphere yesterday in a seated stand was excellent.Having no home fans at all behind either goal just dilutes the home advantage and isn't right.

Let's experiment if we get 2 home ties next season in either the FA Cup or the Carling Cup. Designate each of the stands for alternate games and get everybody together like yesterday,
Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere on 14:51 - Mar 20 with 6725 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 14:20 - Mar 20 by TrueDaleBlue

If home fans were on the side, we'd probably have to charge them more than we could charge away fans behind the goal.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Atmosphere on 14:57 - Mar 20 with 6687 viewsrobbowood

Atmosphere on 14:37 - Mar 20 by TalkingSutty

Anybody who visited Edgley Park before they exited the league will know the answer. You fill the TDS and create a caldron of noise behind the goal, get all the singers together. They also do it at Notts County and loads of other grounds. We have one of the smallest crowds in the league so just to shoot ourselves further in the foot let's split the vocal support to hinder us even further, it's a big own goal.

The Sandy is a crap view and the noise is very muted and doesn't travel. When there's plenty in the TDS the atmospheres good. It can't be about preferring to sit or stand because the atmosphere yesterday in a seated stand was excellent.Having no home fans at all behind either goal just dilutes the home advantage and isn't right.

Let's experiment if we get 2 home ties next season in either the FA Cup or the Carling Cup. Designate each of the stands for alternate games and get everybody together like yesterday,

I agree it's worth a try at a cup tie next season

But do Notts County also shut one side of their ground every match?

When I've been on grounds with one side completely shut I've never found it helped the atmosphere but made it worse

Unless we made it the same price to sit down, as it is to stand up in the Sandy, we'ld most likely lose fans and thus valuable income
Atmosphere on 14:57 - Mar 20 with 6685 viewsAtThePeake

Atmosphere on 14:51 - Mar 20 by TVOS1907

If home fans were on the side, we'd probably have to charge them more than we could charge away fans behind the goal.

Would we?

As an example, Bradford charged £25 for us the other week. Surely it's no more expensive than that in the side stand? We could charge the same. It's what other clubs do.

Tangled up in blue.

Atmosphere on 15:21 - Mar 20 with 6615 viewsMoonyDale

Atmosphere on 14:23 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

With the ground now under full ownership, I'd be expecting to see plans forthcoming to redevelop the Sandy in due course.

My suggestion would be a stand with seating at the back and room for about 1000 standing fans at the front. We'd finally have four sides of the ground looking decent and give the club the option of accommodating away fans in either the Willbutts or Pearl St depending on likely numbers.

I did ask this question at the fans forum and was told there were no plans at all to redevelop the Sandy, my plan would be exactly as yours but I don't see it happening to be honest....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Atmosphere on 15:22 - Mar 20 with 6615 views442Dale

Atmosphere on 14:57 - Mar 20 by robbowood

I agree it's worth a try at a cup tie next season

But do Notts County also shut one side of their ground every match?

When I've been on grounds with one side completely shut I've never found it helped the atmosphere but made it worse

Unless we made it the same price to sit down, as it is to stand up in the Sandy, we'ld most likely lose fans and thus valuable income

All that needs to happen to solve that is to get a Season Ticket deal which almost EVERY supporter will buy. £100/150 anywhere in the ground.

What I don't want to hear is the line "now that we have acquired the ground although we'd like to look at reducing prices, the money received from matchday revenue needs to be maintained at a similar revenue"

The first step is accepting it's ok to lose out on the revenue for a season in an attempt to up the regular fanbase, from there once people are coming into the ground other things can be looked at. At the moment, even despite recent events on and off the pitch, we've a support that is meandering towards just turning up in less numbers as the seasons progress. Let's change that, even if it's just for a season. At least we can then say we actually tried.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Atmosphere on 15:57 - Mar 20 with 6515 viewsDomDale

I'm a Sandy Lane season ticket holder but I've got to agree, I do think we need to have the more vocal supporters in one stand. Our away support, despite not being huge in numbers, is usually fairly loud.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Atmosphere on 16:04 - Mar 20 with 6492 viewsTVOS1907

Atmosphere on 14:57 - Mar 20 by AtThePeake

Would we?

As an example, Bradford charged £25 for us the other week. Surely it's no more expensive than that in the side stand? We could charge the same. It's what other clubs do.

Don't know to be honest. I just know that we can't charge the same for the TDS as we do for the Willbutts, because they are completely different types of accommodation. (Behind the goals, supporting pillars, etc)

Bradford will be exploiting some loophole, possibly linked to their cheap season tickets.

I'm only guessing, though.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Atmosphere on 17:21 - Mar 20 with 6333 views1907

Atmosphere on 14:23 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

The club and never going to spend money on developing a standing area, when if we did get to The Championship it would have to be converted to seating anyway?
Atmosphere on 17:53 - Mar 20 with 6254 views1949er

I hate sitting down at football matches. Having supported Rochdale since 1949 (hence the non de plume). Leave the Sandy as it is forcing supporters to sit is an infringement of my civil liberties.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Atmosphere on 17:59 - Mar 20 with 6233 viewsDomDale

Atmosphere on 17:53 - Mar 20 by 1949er

I hate sitting down at football matches. Having supported Rochdale since 1949 (hence the non de plume). Leave the Sandy as it is forcing supporters to sit is an infringement of my civil liberties.

So do I, but Its not much of a hardship to stand up In a seated stand. We do it away games and *IF* the club moved us from the Sandy we'd still do it in another stand.

KHBA

Atmosphere on 18:00 - Mar 20 with 6231 viewspioneer

Atmosphere on 17:21 - Mar 20 by 1907

The club and never going to spend money on developing a standing area, when if we did get to The Championship it would have to be converted to seating anyway?

German stadia have convertible seating/standing areas to accommodate UEFA rules when playing in Euro competitions. that would avoid any need for further renovation should, after 110 years we make the second tier..
Atmosphere on 18:01 - Mar 20 with 6231 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Atmosphere on 17:53 - Mar 20 by 1949er

Agree......in fact why not develop it when funds allow?

1. Take it back a few more yards (flush with the Sandy Lane Wall )

2. Increase the roof height and lift the rear part up to provide a less-shit view

3 Scrap the present iron crush barriers and replace with maintenance free Stainless Steel ones,

4. Cover the back with adverts to pay forit all.

5 Simples
Atmosphere on 18:02 - Mar 20 with 6220 viewsDomDale

Atmosphere on 17:21 - Mar 20 by 1907

Fairly sure the club would have to spend 3 seasons in the 2nd tier before having to enforce an all-seater rule. If we can do that I wouldn't give two hoots about standing or sitting, the club will have done more than I'd expect.

Besides I seem to recalls Bristol City installing "rail seats" so maybe the FL are relaxing their rules? Standing needn't be unsafe when the stand isn't oversold. I've been on sold out terraces of thousands for football and rugby and it runs smoothly.

KHBA

Atmosphere on 18:05 - Mar 20 with 6216 viewsDomDale

Atmosphere on 18:01 - Mar 20 by Yorkshire_Dale

Agree......in fact why not develop it when funds allow?

1. Take it back a few more yards (flush with the Sandy Lane Wall )

2. Increase the roof height and lift the rear part up to provide a less-shit view

3 Scrap the present iron crush barriers and replace with maintenance free Stainless Steel ones,

4. Cover the back with adverts to pay forit all.

5 Simples

I've posted on here before that I'd like the Sandy to resemble Sale Sharks / Salford Reds terraces. Steep things, unobstructed view. And they have room for advertisements / flags at the back of the stand. Can't imagine it would cost a lot to emulate. Miles better view than the current sandy.

KHBA

Atmosphere on 20:59 - Mar 20 with 5973 viewsSwissdale

Massive changes to the stadium like building new stands are hugely expensive, and probably not needed for now.

I'd really like to see half of the seats in the Pearl Street taken out and replaced with standing (rail standing if necessary), maybe the top half of the stand. This way the seats can be mothballed and re-replaces if the unthinkable happens and we have three seasons in the championship!

That way all singers are in one end, the people who want to stand can stand, and the 'sandy folk' benefit from a better view and better facilities.

The Main Stand modernisation has to be the top priority, as it has the potential to generate the most money. But this solution should add to the match day experience for all, at a relatively small cost.

I'd personally love too see some superficial changes to the ground so that it really feels like ours, "Rochdale Association Football Club" with a badge in blue lights on the main stand entrance. Maybe even some artwork on the side of the Pearl Street like this...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/HP5JYM2bZqB/Chelsea+v+Norwich+City+Premier+League
Atmosphere on 21:05 - Mar 20 with 5938 viewsBartRowou

Atmosphere on 20:59 - Mar 20 by Swissdale

Massive changes to the stadium like building new stands are hugely expensive, and probably not needed for now.

I'd really like to see half of the seats in the Pearl Street taken out and replaced with standing (rail standing if necessary), maybe the top half of the stand. This way the seats can be mothballed and re-replaces if the unthinkable happens and we have three seasons in the championship!

That way all singers are in one end, the people who want to stand can stand, and the 'sandy folk' benefit from a better view and better facilities.

The Main Stand modernisation has to be the top priority, as it has the potential to generate the most money. But this solution should add to the match day experience for all, at a relatively small cost.

I'd personally love too see some superficial changes to the ground so that it really feels like ours, "Rochdale Association Football Club" with a badge in blue lights on the main stand entrance. Maybe even some artwork on the side of the Pearl Street like this...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/HP5JYM2bZqB/Chelsea+v+Norwich+City+Premier+League

This looks good...

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Atmosphere on 22:19 - Mar 20 with 5808 viewsrochdale1987

Atmosphere on 18:05 - Mar 20 by DomDale

I've posted on here before that I'd like the Sandy to resemble Sale Sharks / Salford Reds terraces. Steep things, unobstructed view. And they have room for advertisements / flags at the back of the stand. Can't imagine it would cost a lot to emulate. Miles better view than the current sandy.

Agree with this, been saying for years all they need to do is put steepened new concrete terracing in, like the standing up at chester, morecambe, fleetwood, there's plenty of room above head height at the moment to do this, and would make for a better view and probably better acoustics.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024