Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remain With or Leave the EU 19:55 - Jun 2 with 131258 viewsunion_jack

Remain With or Leave the EU

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 06:19 - Jun 11 with 2333 viewslifelong

Remain With or Leave the EU on 23:24 - Jun 10 by sherpajacob

There are people that believe if we leave, we would use the money saved on the NHS.

I'll call those 3 and raise you...

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.independent.co.uk%2Fs
Remain With or Leave the EU on 07:07 - Jun 11 with 2317 viewsCottsy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 23:46 - Jun 10 by blueytheblue

Well it's pretty clear the climate will change over time. That's obvious. It's also why the term is now used rather than global warming...

Climate change isn't used instead of global warming both terms are still used because they refer to different things.

Increased emissions of greenhouse gases are causing global temperatures to rise, this global warming is causing changes to the climate globally with more extreme weather events becoming more common. It's not an either/or thing.

But if you'd rather think that all of the climate scientists around the world had a meeting and said "Sh!t, they're on to us! Best stop using global warming now and just use climate change instead cos that sh!t's inevitable" then crack on.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 08:22 - Jun 11 with 2285 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 07:07 - Jun 11 by Cottsy

Climate change isn't used instead of global warming both terms are still used because they refer to different things.

Increased emissions of greenhouse gases are causing global temperatures to rise, this global warming is causing changes to the climate globally with more extreme weather events becoming more common. It's not an either/or thing.

But if you'd rather think that all of the climate scientists around the world had a meeting and said "Sh!t, they're on to us! Best stop using global warming now and just use climate change instead cos that sh!t's inevitable" then crack on.

Excellent point.

Human-induced climate change denial is an interesting phenomenon. It is possible, if you really wanted to, to go and see and prove by yourself that humans are influencing climate change through the burning of fossil fuels. But if you don't have the time to do that, then you can rely on the overwhelming evidence from climatologists and national science academies around the world to accept that it's happening.

Can you just imagine how well coordinated a conspiracy to deceive the entire world that climate change has nothing to do with humans would be? The number of scientists "in on the deception" would be staggering, and they would constantly need to recruit new scientists and climatologists in order to keep the deception going. You would need to pay off entire countries and their particular science ministries to keep the secret from ever coming out. Even the most powerful militaries in the world are spending billions to alter their ability to project power on a planet being changed by CO2 emissions. Many militaries argue that human-induced climate change is a massive national security risk, and it's easy to understand why.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2016 9:33]
Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:58 - Jun 11 with 2253 viewsjohnlangy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 23:24 - Jun 10 by sherpajacob

There are people that believe if we leave, we would use the money saved on the NHS.

Even though they are virtually stating as fact that the money saved from our contribution would go toward the NHS, anyone who actually believes this bunch needs their heads examined.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:46 - Jun 11 with 2232 viewslonglostjack

Cutting obesity would save the NHS a fortune - contributions to the EU pale into insignificance in comparison.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:02 - Jun 11 with 2218 viewsblueytheblue

Don't for one second believe there's a conspiracy.

My point is the understanding is still pretty low overall considering everything so jumping to assumptions and stifling debate is a tad silly.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:37 - Jun 11 with 2195 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 00:02 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

You make lots of really poor assumptions. I don't know anything about this stomach ulcer stuff, I don't think injections cause autism and I know that plate tectonics exist. As for the fat thing, I don't really have an opinion.

I'm happy to let the experts battle it out and move towards a consensus, as should most of us. I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist or a wacko hippie. It isn't wacko to acknowledge that our climate is being changed by human activity, it's widely accepted by the vast, vast majority of experts in that field. To think you know better is absurd, in my opinion.

You just don't get it do you?
All those things were the Consensus before the Consesus was proved to be completely and utterly WRONG.
They have now had to agree that Saturated fat is much better for you than Unsaturated, but for the last 25 years the consensus was saturated fat was bad for you.
Nobody believed that Stomach Ulcers were caused by a Bacteria, the consensus was anything but, until it was proved by 2 Australians.
Nobody belived in Tectonic Plates, the consensus was that the world was made as it is today, until proved completely wrong.
They are just a few of the modern ones, hisorically there are a lot more the most famous ones being
Galileo - the earth goes around the sun.
The Earth was Flat.
The "Ether".

All those were "Consensus" until some Wacko nutjob proved the Establishment wrong.
In most cases it was individuals, today there are many Scientists that do not believe that Global Warming is any kind of problem and it is not controlled by CO2.
You do know what the "Pause" is don't you?
Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:38 - Jun 11 with 2197 viewsCarregGlas

Remain With or Leave the EU on 21:16 - Jun 10 by Joe_bradshaw

I suspect the rest of Europe would dearly love those particular gentlemen to brexit asap.

There were some Germans in Milford Haven the other day, off a cruise ship of 1500 other Germans. They had done a straw pole on the boat and 60% (on the boat, all German) given the choice would all leave the EU. A pretty good sample, i'd say.
I suspect it'll be the same for French citizens.
Whether we stay in or leave, the EU is on its way out, our leaving will only accelerate the process. If we stay in, we'll be exposed to more of the social uprising and extremism that is escalating on the continent.
What annoys me most is that these arrogant career politicians have the audacity to assume they are right on the economy. Cameron keeps preaching that Mark Carney - Gov Bank of England indicates that we should stay in, yet he doesn't mention that the previous Governor states we should exit. Does that mean Mervyn King has less of a voice.
These politicians are all bloody clowns, on both sides. The referendum is all If's, but's, might's and maybe's - either way, we will survive, whatever the outcome.
Just for the one reason of control - I'm voting out.
Login to get fewer ads

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:39 - Jun 11 with 2193 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 07:07 - Jun 11 by Cottsy

" this global warming is causing changes to the climate globally with more extreme weather events becoming more common"

OK, what Extreme Events are becomming more common and where?
Please provide links to show them, if you can't I will provide links that will show that they are NOT.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:42 - Jun 11 with 2190 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 08:22 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

Excellent point.

Human-induced climate change denial is an interesting phenomenon. It is possible, if you really wanted to, to go and see and prove by yourself that humans are influencing climate change through the burning of fossil fuels. But if you don't have the time to do that, then you can rely on the overwhelming evidence from climatologists and national science academies around the world to accept that it's happening.

Can you just imagine how well coordinated a conspiracy to deceive the entire world that climate change has nothing to do with humans would be? The number of scientists "in on the deception" would be staggering, and they would constantly need to recruit new scientists and climatologists in order to keep the deception going. You would need to pay off entire countries and their particular science ministries to keep the secret from ever coming out. Even the most powerful militaries in the world are spending billions to alter their ability to project power on a planet being changed by CO2 emissions. Many militaries argue that human-induced climate change is a massive national security risk, and it's easy to understand why.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2016 9:33]

So how much has the World warmed since the little Ice Age and how much of it is down to made made emissions?
Have you actually looked at any data yourself?
Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:11 - Jun 11 with 2172 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:42 - Jun 11 by A_Fans_Dad

So how much has the World warmed since the little Ice Age and how much of it is down to made made emissions?
Have you actually looked at any data yourself?

Clearly you didn't read what I had said. I said that the average person can rely upon the "overwhelming evidence" collected by experts in their field to decide whether or not our climate is being changed by human activity.

A heuristic approach to forming opinions, deciding what food to eat for breakfast or what party to vote for is how most people go about their day/life. And it's an approach that is pretty essential for us to progress at a decent pace. I am quite content to allow experts to dictate policy over a particular area if there is a general consensus amongst the experts. In the case of climate change, there is a consensus amongst the experts, but not a consensus amongst the politicians as to what to do about it.

Yes, I've looked at data. But no, I'm not an expert. So why my interpretation of data is so important to you I don't know. Of course science and it's theories should never be "closed" or immune to criticism. Skepticism is a fundamental part of progression. But, the onus is on the Skepticism to prove that their theories undermine the current belief, and there are not enough (not even close) experts who believe in what you are arguing for.

So, why should we act upon what the consensus is suggesting? Ultimately, the cost of not doing something greatly outweighs the cost of doing something. It's a version of Pascal's Wager.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:04 - Jun 11 with 2135 viewsblueytheblue

Point is, research costs money.

Scientists generally operate on research grants. I suspect funding would be far more difficult for any scientist going against the norm, hence private funding would be required - which then leads to obvious complaints about potential bias.

I'm just very skeptical of any claims "the science is done".

Still, I'm sure Al Gore will solve it whilst emitting carbon in his private jet...

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:20 - Jun 11 with 2128 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:04 - Jun 11 by blueytheblue

Scientists generally operate on research grants. I suspect funding would be far more difficult for any scientist going against the norm, hence private funding would be required - which then leads to obvious complaints about potential bias.

Still, I'm sure Al Gore will solve it whilst emitting carbon in his private jet...

"Al Gore, private jet, carbon emissions etc etc".

Classic mud-slinging right here.

How would you suggest that Al Gore should get from one state to another, or from one continent to another, and deliver his argument that we should tackle human-induced climate change? Should he swim the Atlantic Ocean? Should he travel by balloon from California to Nebraska?

Or maybe he should stay at home, and deliver his speech by Skype? If so, how many people do you think will show up to an event where the keynote speaker is thousands of miles away? Or maybe he should give the task of speaking about climate change to Joe the Plumber, who actually lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. How many people do you think would show up to that?

It really is such a disingenuous line of reasoning.

I remember the outcry from climate change sceptics last year about how millions of pounds is going to be spent on a new research vessel to study Antarctica. The implication was, you know, "look at those lucky scientists in their shiny new ship getting to spend months at Antarctica away from their families and eating all that luxury spam and tinned peaches. Why can't I spend months down there in the freezing cold with literally nothing to do? They're probably just on a jolly getting hammered every other day".
Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:46 - Jun 11 with 2112 viewsblueytheblue

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:20 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

"Al Gore, private jet, carbon emissions etc etc".

Classic mud-slinging right here.

How would you suggest that Al Gore should get from one state to another, or from one continent to another, and deliver his argument that we should tackle human-induced climate change? Should he swim the Atlantic Ocean? Should he travel by balloon from California to Nebraska?

Or maybe he should stay at home, and deliver his speech by Skype? If so, how many people do you think will show up to an event where the keynote speaker is thousands of miles away? Or maybe he should give the task of speaking about climate change to Joe the Plumber, who actually lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. How many people do you think would show up to that?

It really is such a disingenuous line of reasoning.

I remember the outcry from climate change sceptics last year about how millions of pounds is going to be spent on a new research vessel to study Antarctica. The implication was, you know, "look at those lucky scientists in their shiny new ship getting to spend months at Antarctica away from their families and eating all that luxury spam and tinned peaches. Why can't I spend months down there in the freezing cold with literally nothing to do? They're probably just on a jolly getting hammered every other day".

Al Gore could take standard air travel.

It's hypocritical to complain about carbon emissions and then use a private jet carrying a minimal number of people when the amount of carbon emitted per person on the jet is waayyyyyy out of proportion.

But still, use a ridiculous example of travelling by "balloon" to miss the point spectacularly.

I've no problem with a new research vessel. Research is always needed and valuable. Grandstanders like Gore acting in a hypocritical manner, not so much so. Still we do owe his a debt of gratitude for inventing the internet I guess...

Remain With or Leave the EU on 14:19 - Jun 11 with 2092 viewsexiledclaseboy

Global warming is a leftie conspiracy to raise taxes mun. Everyone who's anyone knows that. The EU will be in on it too. Obviously.

Poll: Tory leader

Remain With or Leave the EU on 14:20 - Jun 11 with 2092 viewsFlashberryjack

Absolutely spot on.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Remain With or Leave the EU on 14:54 - Jun 11 with 2066 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:11 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

Clearly you didn't read what I had said. I said that the average person can rely upon the "overwhelming evidence" collected by experts in their field to decide whether or not our climate is being changed by human activity.

A heuristic approach to forming opinions, deciding what food to eat for breakfast or what party to vote for is how most people go about their day/life. And it's an approach that is pretty essential for us to progress at a decent pace. I am quite content to allow experts to dictate policy over a particular area if there is a general consensus amongst the experts. In the case of climate change, there is a consensus amongst the experts, but not a consensus amongst the politicians as to what to do about it.

Yes, I've looked at data. But no, I'm not an expert. So why my interpretation of data is so important to you I don't know. Of course science and it's theories should never be "closed" or immune to criticism. Skepticism is a fundamental part of progression. But, the onus is on the Skepticism to prove that their theories undermine the current belief, and there are not enough (not even close) experts who believe in what you are arguing for.

So, why should we act upon what the consensus is suggesting? Ultimately, the cost of not doing something greatly outweighs the cost of doing something. It's a version of Pascal's Wager.

Your responses clearly illustrate that my original assessment and statement were correct.
You are happy to follow the Concensus, whether it is about the EU or AGW.
Even though the "Experts" that you are so willing to believe have been shown to be exaggerating, lying, wrong, colluding and contradicting each other etc.
You are also happy to ignore the fact that the "experts" are also employed by the organisations putting forward the thing under discussion.
But that is OK by me, we all have our own opinion and you are welcome to yours.
However the Precautionary Principle is not a good idea when the the people advocating it have no "predictive ability".
Remain With or Leave the EU on 15:40 - Jun 11 with 2033 viewstomdickharry

For those who want us to remain as members please clarify why don't we -
Drive on the right hand side of the road.
Use the Euro as our currency instead of the pound sterling.
Give authority to the police to use water cannon as and when required.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 15:49 - Jun 11 with 2029 viewsblueytheblue

Remain With or Leave the EU on 15:40 - Jun 11 by tomdickharry

For those who want us to remain as members please clarify why don't we -
Drive on the right hand side of the road.
Use the Euro as our currency instead of the pound sterling.
Give authority to the police to use water cannon as and when required.

Not a Remainer but sadly those questions are easily answered irrespective of remain/leave.

1) driving on right hand side - because it would be prohibitively expensive to change. Plus it would give continental based lorry drivers o reason to act as utter c*cks on our roads...

2) Euro - because we had the self awareness to realise that harmonising disparate economies, countries into one single great currency would lead to problems...

3) No water cannons - because Britain has a fine tradition of soap dodging protestors. Can't have Swampy and Swampetta getting cleaned up, they'd then have no reason for not getting a job...

Remain With or Leave the EU on 15:57 - Jun 11 with 2022 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:46 - Jun 11 by blueytheblue

Al Gore could take standard air travel.

It's hypocritical to complain about carbon emissions and then use a private jet carrying a minimal number of people when the amount of carbon emitted per person on the jet is waayyyyyy out of proportion.

But still, use a ridiculous example of travelling by "balloon" to miss the point spectacularly.

I've no problem with a new research vessel. Research is always needed and valuable. Grandstanders like Gore acting in a hypocritical manner, not so much so. Still we do owe his a debt of gratitude for inventing the internet I guess...

I've missed the point spectacularly have I? You brought up private jets to insinuate that Al Gore doesn't care about his own carbon footprint and just wants to limit yours and mine. He himself has said that he occasionally used charter but the vast majority of the time uses Americsn Airlines or Southwest.

The points you are making are verbatim the sort of drivel that comes out of news outlets like Breibart and the like. These outlets are the internet version of Fox News.

While we are on the subject of "the Internet", you used another classic put-down on Al Gore about how you argue that he genuinely believes that he invented the Internet. Again, a really disingenuous argument. This should clarify it for you: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
[Post edited 11 Jun 2016 16:11]
Remain With or Leave the EU on 21:02 - Jun 11 with 1943 viewsJack_Meoff

Quite. Or their findings being made public?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 21:13 - Jun 11 with 1938 viewsBarrySwan

Remain With or Leave the EU on 15:57 - Jun 11 by nice_to_michu

I've missed the point spectacularly have I? You brought up private jets to insinuate that Al Gore doesn't care about his own carbon footprint and just wants to limit yours and mine. He himself has said that he occasionally used charter but the vast majority of the time uses Americsn Airlines or Southwest.

The points you are making are verbatim the sort of drivel that comes out of news outlets like Breibart and the like. These outlets are the internet version of Fox News.

While we are on the subject of "the Internet", you used another classic put-down on Al Gore about how you argue that he genuinely believes that he invented the Internet. Again, a really disingenuous argument. This should clarify it for you: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
[Post edited 11 Jun 2016 16:11]

So we're forgetting the little matter that Al Gore was exposed as having a house that produced a carbon using footprint approximately 20 times that of the average American dwelling then?

Yup we're all in it together, especially the hypocrites making a fortune out of lecturing others about how everyone except themselves are killing the planet.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 03:23 - Jun 12 with 1866 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 21:13 - Jun 11 by BarrySwan

So we're forgetting the little matter that Al Gore was exposed as having a house that produced a carbon using footprint approximately 20 times that of the average American dwelling then?

Yup we're all in it together, especially the hypocrites making a fortune out of lecturing others about how everyone except themselves are killing the planet.

So your argument against the validity of human-induced climate change is that Al Gore has a high-energy consuming house.

Got it.

The thousands of climatologists mist also be on the take then. Forgive me, I'm just a sheeple.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 03:58 - Jun 12 with 1857 viewsDJack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 03:23 - Jun 12 by nice_to_michu

So your argument against the validity of human-induced climate change is that Al Gore has a high-energy consuming house.

Got it.

The thousands of climatologists mist also be on the take then. Forgive me, I'm just a sheeple.

Remember a single tenuous link is enough to deny masses of fact... and there lies the rub. it has been shown that it is impossible to convince the closed mind of the error of it's way it only causes them to entrench their beliefs.

Apologies to those that (rightly) prefer links to qualify/quantify assertions but I really can't be asked at this time of night.

And to be even less scientific...fcuk you, you stupid narrow minded swivel eyed loons!

Ok, that shows me in a poor light but compared the the absolute arse-drivel the Brexiters pontificate I feel vindicated.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:17 - Jun 12 with 1799 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 03:58 - Jun 12 by DJack

Remember a single tenuous link is enough to deny masses of fact... and there lies the rub. it has been shown that it is impossible to convince the closed mind of the error of it's way it only causes them to entrench their beliefs.

Apologies to those that (rightly) prefer links to qualify/quantify assertions but I really can't be asked at this time of night.

And to be even less scientific...fcuk you, you stupid narrow minded swivel eyed loons!

Ok, that shows me in a poor light but compared the the absolute arse-drivel the Brexiters pontificate I feel vindicated.

There are closed minds and swivel eyed loons on both sides of this "debate" believe me.

The amount of misinformation from both sides is masking the inner workings neither want us to know about - vested interests , corruption etc etc. I don't trust any of them but our politicians can be at least held accountable and voted out if office.

The European Union and it's treatment of the Greeks in particular as well as the economic mess they're in because of the admission of countries like Greece to the eurozone screams "keep away" to me..

There is also the matter of TTIP which will sadly come as a fait accompli to those in the EU but not for us if we get out.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024