Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rathbone V Perkins 11:23 - Dec 31 with 5619 viewsYouTubeDale

Post Maidstone United away Rathbone has found his feet. He has been one of the key ingredients to our recent success, a player who can provide that vital spark changing the direction of play from defence into attack. For a small footballer he packs a big punch in the middle of the park. He constantly nicks the ball either sprinting up the pitch with it then laying it off with good effect, or putting it out of play denying the opposition possession. He seems to find an extra two feet of lunge to do the trick sometimes and in doing so puts himself at risk of injury. For his size, he's the bravest player on the pitch.
When looking back in time trying to remember the performance of other players like Perkins our judgement can become impaired. I rated Perkins very highly just like most Dale fans but for me Olly shades it. Rathbone's acceleration in attack is better and he has me gasping more at his tackles.
Opposition managers must be sick of the sight of him, he's a thorn in their side. He won't go away...that is, until his master, Keith Hill , calls him back to heel so he can claim what is becoming to be his customary standing ovation from the grateful Dale crowd.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Rathbone V Perkins on 10:04 - Jan 2 with 2031 views442Dale

Rathbone V Perkins on 09:25 - Jan 2 by dingdangblue

Not won ANY game of football since Tuesday 27th September.
18 games.
Quite staggering that!
Even more staggering they are not in the bottom 4 or cut adrift.

But how did this happen?

HOW?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rathbone V Perkins on 10:16 - Jan 2 with 1998 viewsR17ALE

Not sure there is much of a comparison. Two very different players for me.

However I think Rathbone might have it in him to have a better overall career than Perkins who was a late starter.

As mentioned, Rathbone is fearless in the tackle and has a wonderful engine. Must be hard to play against.

The only negative is that in his exuberance he sometimes over-runs the ball so he's having to stretch to keep it under control or make a pass.

Compare with Hendo where the ball is seemingly never more than an inch from his foot, which gives him more time.

As mentioned by someone else, how many "Rathbones" are sloshing around at Premier League clubs behind a Latvian and a Slovenian, waiting til he's 21 before being told he's not good enough and should get on the bins.

Quite sad really. By coming here Rathbone is going to clock up 100 appearances and be a fully developed pro footballer by the age of around 22 and then the world is his oyster.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Rathbone V Perkins on 13:18 - Jan 2 with 1789 viewsD_Dale

Rathbone V Perkins on 10:16 - Jan 2 by R17ALE

However I think Rathbone might have it in him to have a better overall career than Perkins who was a late starter.

As mentioned, Rathbone is fearless in the tackle and has a wonderful engine. Must be hard to play against.

The only negative is that in his exuberance he sometimes over-runs the ball so he's having to stretch to keep it under control or make a pass.

Compare with Hendo where the ball is seemingly never more than an inch from his foot, which gives him more time.

As mentioned by someone else, how many "Rathbones" are sloshing around at Premier League clubs behind a Latvian and a Slovenian, waiting til he's 21 before being told he's not good enough and should get on the bins.

Quite sad really. By coming here Rathbone is going to clock up 100 appearances and be a fully developed pro footballer by the age of around 22 and then the world is his oyster.

" ... the world is his oyster. "

Or, as Arthur Daley would say, his lobster.

Quite a few fans will recall David Perkins' Dale debut, on 27 January 2007 against MKD. After 36 minutes, with Dale 3-0 up (the first by Adam Le Fondre, also playing for the first time for Dale) Simon Ramsden , who'd also scored, was injured. Perkins came on as sub. There was a sense that this diminutive, unknown player might prove a weak link and let MKD back into the game.

He didn't, of course. Dale won 5-0 and Perkins became a fans' favourite. A brilliant signing, as was that of Alf, who'd arrived on loan but was signed at the end of the season.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2017 21:16]
Rathbone V Perkins on 13:33 - Jan 2 with 1747 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Hilly remains a big fan of Perks......and he is still holding his own in the Championship.

Would we swap him for Rathboni right now,I hope not. Careers going in opposite directions.

Whitey also said Perks had lost his pace before leaving Oaky.......personally,loved the little guy.
Rathbone V Perkins on 13:35 - Jan 2 with 1745 viewsShun

Rathbone V Perkins on 13:18 - Jan 2 by D_Dale

Quite a few fans will recall David Perkins' Dale debut, on 27 January 2007 against MKD. After 36 minutes, with Dale 3-0 up (the first by Adam Le Fondre, also playing for the first time for Dale) Simon Ramsden , who'd also scored, was injured. Perkins came on as sub. There was a sense that this diminutive, unknown player might prove a weak link and let MKD back into the game.

He didn't, of course. Dale won 5-0 and Perkins became a fans' favourite. A brilliant signing, as was that of Alf, who'd arrived on loan but was signed at the end of the season.

One of my favourite periods of Dale history, that half season after Hill had first taken over.
Rathbone V Perkins on 16:24 - Jan 2 with 1639 viewsboromat

What was scarier about that substitution was that we were all of the opinion (correctly) that he was a central midfielder that had played at left back he was coming on to make his debut for us at right back against a very tricky winger that Ramsden had been struggling with. Perkins nailed it that day.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Rathbone V Perkins on 16:51 - Jan 2 with 1599 viewsolympicdale

Perkins for me hands down. As good as Rathbone has been, he needs to have done it longer to compare with Perks. I love Rathbones' style of play, he is a bundle of energy, very inteligent with his runs, something that has been missing since losing players like Perkins. It has been great management by Hill, also, by not to rushing in to the team.

Life is a game of fate.

Rathbone V Perkins on 18:02 - Jan 2 with 1536 viewsdingdangblue

Rathbone V Perkins on 09:25 - Jan 2 by dingdangblue

Not won ANY game of football since Tuesday 27th September.
18 games.
Quite staggering that!
Even more staggering they are not in the bottom 4 or cut adrift.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Rathbone V Perkins on 20:00 - Jan 2 with 1420 viewsTVOS1907

Perkins signed for us in January 2007.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Rathbone V Perkins on 20:04 - Jan 2 with 1406 viewsDaley_Lama

Stone the crows, I actually like a football song!

Olly, Olly Olly Olly, Rathbone, Rathbone # (to the Olé, Olé Olé Olé chant)

Simple and effective.

Poll: DF in or out

Rathbone V Perkins on 21:26 - Jan 2 with 1286 viewsD_Dale

Rathbone V Perkins on 20:00 - Jan 2 by TVOS1907

Perkins signed for us in January 2007.

Of course, just five days before his Dale debut. Corrected.

One of Keith Hill's many fine signings, and one that helped to bring a marked turnaround of form just a few weeks after the appointment of Hill and Flitcroft.
Rathbone V Perkins on 21:35 - Jan 2 with 1263 viewsD_Alien

Rathbone V Perkins on 21:26 - Jan 2 by D_Dale

Of course, just five days before his Dale debut. Corrected.

One of Keith Hill's many fine signings, and one that helped to bring a marked turnaround of form just a few weeks after the appointment of Hill and Flitcroft.

And who knows how the Wembley final would've panned out if we'd had him in midfield

I think we played Ramsden in his place? All ifs and buts of course

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rathbone V Perkins on 14:13 - Jan 3 with 1090 viewsVespaDale

Rathbone V Perkins on 10:16 - Jan 2 by R17ALE

Hilly said at his Xmas p1ss up questions & answers session it was Rathbones dad that rang him & said take a chance on him. He won't let you down, as Hilly knows his dad well & trusted him said to pop down have a chat. Said he took a substantial paycut just to get games in the mans league as he put it, didn't want to play boys football... Proper attitude
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024