Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren incoming 15:31 - May 1 with 144556 viewshubble

...according to a poster on WATRB...

Read it here, if you're not averse to a bit of rough: http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/general/qpr-fans/2464866-mclaren-new-ma

[Post edited 1 May 2018 15:37]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

McClaren incoming on 17:25 - May 2 with 3830 viewsrsonist

McClaren incoming on 17:10 - May 2 by ngbqpr

I understand why in this post-Bosman world (google it kids) when a player edges towards the last year of his contract, a club is keen to tie him to a new deal, even if it's just to ensure he keeps some value.

I don't think it's the same with managers, unless you're one of the handful of clubs whose boss is hot property.

My gut feeling is stability / Olly has met his remit / stay as we are for now...but I don't think he necessarily needs a new contract for that. Is it old fashioned / unrealistic to say to him, you've got a year left, let's just go on as we are for now?

Yeah, I would lean towards another year myself. Last year was a scramble, this year was better with signs of promise. See how it pans out.

By the by, it ought to be seen as one the main duties of upper management/boards to always be thinking of new coaches - it's not disloyalty, it's pragmatism. As Norf says it's a very good sign we're pondering at all.
McClaren incoming on 17:31 - May 2 with 3806 viewsNorthernr

McClaren incoming on 17:25 - May 2 by daveB

Not sure promotion is on the cards next year. West Brom and Stoke should be strong, possibly Southampton as well plus some decent sides going to miss out through playoffs.

Not impossible to get in the playoffs next year but wouldn't say it's our best chance. Squad looks a long way short of that imo

DaveB on May 2 wins this year's sweepstake for first mention of how hard next season's Championship looks. Spoiler alert - it'll be just as mediocre as it always is.
McClaren incoming on 17:40 - May 2 with 3743 viewsPunteR

McClaren incoming on 15:39 - May 2 by simmo

Losing the senior pros we are AND potentially the managers and coaches in one summer is a lot of upheaval for a young squad. I hope this is a consideration because not de-railing the potential of our young players is going to be crucial to our future.

This is my concern as well about a switch in management and i feel should be the boards main concern. I hope the board are thinking more about the development of our youngsters rather than i push for promotion type remit.
I think Maclaren would be a good fit for that. He's a football man whose been around the block. He was brilliant for us a few years ago and was happy to just take a coaching role when he obviously loves the challenge of being the manager.
I dont think he's some big time charlie despite his illustrious career.
His experience would massively benefit the club imo and i would hope steady the dressing room and club.
I'd be happy with Maclaren as a Ollies replacement.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren incoming on 18:54 - May 2 with 3537 viewsTHEBUSH

If we do have a new manager coming in, I hope it´s because Ian Holloway is leaving under his own accord and not being pushed out.
As said, we have a young squad and Holloway, imo. is the best person to carry on his good work.
Steve McClaren seems to be a decent bloke, but I hope Holloway stays.
McClaren incoming on 18:58 - May 2 with 3518 viewsLongsufferingR

McClaren incoming on 04:10 - May 2 by mylot50years

3-0 down in first 15 minutes and Holloway was there and in charge a pathetic performance they ended up getting six. I suppose you could say under him we don't lose by so many these days on our travels, but he still manages not to win to often. If McClaren came in and his sole job would be to coach and leave LF and others take care of other issues, we could find ourselves in a very good place particularly with the kids coming through. Also great opportunity for McClaren himself to regain respect as a good coach, and leave the manager duties that have in the past hindered his progress, to others that are better suited.

Eh? His last game in charge last time round when we had Phil Barnes in goal was 2-0 to Leeds. You might be thinking of a couple of years previously when we lost 6-1 having taken the lead in the first couple of minutes.
McClaren incoming on 19:00 - May 2 with 3510 viewsLongsufferingR

McClaren incoming on 08:26 - May 2 by paulparker

Easy Chef ,your not allowed to be having a go at our lord saviour uncle tone , he is the best chairman ever and any criticism of him makes you a Brentford fan

....says the man who called anyone who said anything negative about Warnock "not QPR fans". Priceless.
McClaren incoming on 19:12 - May 2 with 3469 viewssmegma

McClaren incoming on 17:31 - May 2 by Northernr

DaveB on May 2 wins this year's sweepstake for first mention of how hard next season's Championship looks. Spoiler alert - it'll be just as mediocre as it always is.

And this is page 7 of a rumour that still hasn't even happened yet.
McClaren incoming on 19:37 - May 2 with 3369 viewskensalriser

McClaren incoming on 19:12 - May 2 by smegma

Well, you have to do something between meal times.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

McClaren incoming on 20:14 - May 2 with 3252 viewsAshdown_Ranger

McClaren incoming on 19:37 - May 2 by kensalriser

Hmmmm, seven pages on a fan blog... surely, there be something in the rumour.

Before you know it, this thread will be named as a 'source' by Get West London... their story will be picked up by the Sun...

...and someone will report back here that there really MUST be something in the rumour because the nationals are reporting it...

And we haven't even reached the summer break yet.

McClaren incoming on 21:08 - May 2 with 3087 viewsBenny_the_Ball

McClaren incoming on 02:07 - May 2 by timcocking

For the record, when people say "he's a good number two but not a manager" i usually roll my eyes somewhat. That's more media speak that isn't real as often as not.

It might be true, but none of us or the journalists would know and it's a very unlikely thing. That's just a lazy line they write. Oh, he's not been successful, he's obviously a good number two can't be number one." The only difference in the roles is you are responsible for picking the team.

Just sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Very rarely could a man who could one not do the other.

[Post edited 2 May 2018 21:08]
McClaren incoming on 21:22 - May 2 with 3029 viewsBenny_the_Ball

McClaren incoming on 17:10 - May 2 by ngbqpr

I understand why in this post-Bosman world (google it kids) when a player edges towards the last year of his contract, a club is keen to tie him to a new deal, even if it's just to ensure he keeps some value.

I don't think it's the same with managers, unless you're one of the handful of clubs whose boss is hot property.

My gut feeling is stability / Olly has met his remit / stay as we are for now...but I don't think he necessarily needs a new contract for that. Is it old fashioned / unrealistic to say to him, you've got a year left, let's just go on as we are for now?

Yes, I don't buy that argument with managers either. Ollie won't command a transfer fee; if anything QPR will need to buy out the remainder of Holloway's contract if they decide to terminate it now. However if Ollie has decided that he is emotionally unfit to continue then I respect his decision and understand the succession planning. Just not McClaren as all the evidence points to him being a decent number 2 but average numb er 1.
McClaren incoming on 21:42 - May 2 with 2973 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 17:31 - May 2 by Northernr

meant it will be hard to go up rather than the whole league will be hard, should be capable of a top half finish next year if we have a good summer in the transfer market
McClaren incoming on 21:45 - May 2 with 2951 viewsNorthernr

McClaren incoming on 21:42 - May 2 by daveB

meant it will be hard to go up rather than the whole league will be hard, should be capable of a top half finish next year if we have a good summer in the transfer market

Nah I'm having it. We've already paid out.
McClaren incoming on 21:48 - May 2 with 2934 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 19:12 - May 2 by smegma

rumour is mostly based on Fernandes saying on the podcast they will be reviewing Holloways position at the end of the season which is a pretty daft thing to say.

Timing is crap as ever, could easily have done that podcast interview in a few weeks or just said nothing about Holloway.

Fine to review Holloway at the end of the season but to tell the fans leaves us with either Holloway staying and everyone knowing the board are not 100% happy and pressure is on from day 1 next season. If he goes and Holloway is basically sacked rather than walks it's a piss poor way to do this telling fans before the manager.
McClaren incoming on 22:00 - May 2 with 2895 viewsQPR_John

McClaren incoming on 21:48 - May 2 by daveB

rumour is mostly based on Fernandes saying on the podcast they will be reviewing Holloways position at the end of the season which is a pretty daft thing to say.

Timing is crap as ever, could easily have done that podcast interview in a few weeks or just said nothing about Holloway.

Fine to review Holloway at the end of the season but to tell the fans leaves us with either Holloway staying and everyone knowing the board are not 100% happy and pressure is on from day 1 next season. If he goes and Holloway is basically sacked rather than walks it's a piss poor way to do this telling fans before the manager.

How do you know this has not been discussed with Holloway
McClaren incoming on 22:14 - May 2 with 2824 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 22:00 - May 2 by QPR_John

How do you know this has not been discussed with Holloway

I don't know and if it has been discussed with him and everyone is happy then great but if it hasn't then it's an odd and typical Fernandes way to go about it. No different to what he did with Warnock basically hinting on twitter he was going to sack him before he spoke to Warnock. No need for it really. As fans we should be the last the know
McClaren incoming on 22:22 - May 2 with 2789 viewsPunteR

McClaren incoming on 21:48 - May 2 by daveB

Pressure was always going to be on from start of the season.
Fernades sounds like he's been reading what a lot of fans have been saying about Ollie. I think he just says what he thinks fans want to hear.
I think most of the reasonable posters on here were saying the same thing, review at the end of the season. Although i think that response came about because it was impossible to monitor how he was doing throughout the season because it changed dramatically from one week to the next.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren incoming on 22:24 - May 2 with 2779 viewsBoston

McClaren incoming on 19:37 - May 2 by kensalriser

Seven course meals....wouldn't have guessed we had that many posters of Italian ancestry.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

McClaren incoming on 22:33 - May 2 with 2742 viewsBoston

As mentioned previously, never a fan of Ian Holloway, though I do not dislike the man nor do I think he's done a bad job. But, in business you look for the people who can lead you further and I have never been convinced that Mr Holloway is that character.
It would appear that the role of the 'Manager' as we know it is virtually over and the position will become more of a head coach, McClaren is a good coach.
[Post edited 2 May 2018 22:34]

McClaren incoming on 22:36 - May 2 with 2731 viewsMyke

I think McClaren would be a good appointment. He is tactically more astute than Holloway, likes to bring kids along and wouldn't have to worry about other aspects of the club. He was fulsome in his praise for QPR on SKY v Fulham and seemed very knowledgeable about the club. Several months ago I said I would like to see him work alongside Holloway, but if he is to replace him then I hope Ian is leaving of his own violation
McClaren incoming on 22:45 - May 2 with 2696 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 22:36 - May 2 by Myke

I think McClaren would be a good appointment. He is tactically more astute than Holloway, likes to bring kids along and wouldn't have to worry about other aspects of the club. He was fulsome in his praise for QPR on SKY v Fulham and seemed very knowledgeable about the club. Several months ago I said I would like to see him work alongside Holloway, but if he is to replace him then I hope Ian is leaving of his own violation

Why do you think he is better tactically than Holloway? He's a better coach no question but as a manager I'm not sure tactics are his strong point
McClaren incoming on 23:02 - May 2 with 2645 viewsBoston

McClaren incoming on 22:36 - May 2 by Myke

violation

McClaren incoming on 23:11 - May 2 with 2605 viewsBoston

McClaren incoming on 22:45 - May 2 by daveB

Why do you think he is better tactically than Holloway? He's a better coach no question but as a manager I'm not sure tactics are his strong point

One speaks dutch, the other speaks double-dutch.

McClaren incoming on 00:12 - May 3 with 2524 viewsFDC

I originally assumed this was nonsense. But given Clive's comments and what Dave Mc has been saying it seems fairly likely. I agree with those saying it would be both harsh on IH and a shame from a sentimental point of view. I can see a logic to it though, given Sustainable Tony's ((c) TacticalR) newfound vision of a club that brings lots of youth players through.
McClaren incoming on 00:19 - May 3 with 2520 viewsisawqpratwcity

Nothing on Offish, BBC...Has anything happened yet?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024