Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren incoming 15:31 - May 1 with 144558 viewshubble

...according to a poster on WATRB...

Read it here, if you're not averse to a bit of rough: http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/general/qpr-fans/2464866-mclaren-new-ma

[Post edited 1 May 2018 15:37]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

McClaren incoming on 00:35 - May 3 with 3809 viewsMyke

@ Dave B - Holloway has many times proved to be tactically inept - either by insisting on hitting long balls to Smith when this is clearly not his strong suit, persisting with a wing-back formation which was clearly not working, incapable of making game-altering substitutions and picking Eze as a lone striker are some examples of these. McClaren has regularly demonstrated his tactical nous - let us not forget that despite the glorious result, Derby completely out-played us in the play-off final and except for Green and Dunne we would have been slaughtered

@ Boston * volition - don't judge - up since 6!!
McClaren incoming on 00:35 - May 3 with 3808 viewsTacticalR

McClaren incoming on 17:31 - May 2 by Northernr

DaveB on May 2 wins this year's sweepstake for first mention of how hard next season's Championship looks. Spoiler alert - it'll be just as mediocre as it always is.

The whole division should go on a mediocrity pride march.

Air hostess clique

McClaren incoming on 02:28 - May 3 with 3733 viewsmylot50years

McClaren incoming on 09:00 - May 2 by Northernr

Agree on the Fernandes and Twitter thing, but this isn't just rumours in the usual way. I'll be amazed if Olly makes it much beyond Sunday now, think the general feeling at board level is that he's done the job they wanted him to do quite well but can he now take it on further or would it just be more of the same. Think they're frustrated by the random team selections as well. Big risk though.

Much bigger risk if Holloway is here next season, why do some fans think things are likely to change from the last two seasons of , erratic decisions coaching wise, falling attendances and the likes of what we saw at Millwall away in the way he represented our club, a total embarrassment. McClaren a risk ? I don't think so, in a coaching capacity only, he would be a major step forward for QPR, and with LF and others left to continue the good work behind the scenes, along with some still difficult issues regarding FFP that have to be addressed, we may at last be able to go forward with a united fan base like we have enjoyed in the past.
McClaren incoming on 08:15 - May 3 with 3545 viewsEsox_Lucius

There seems to be a strong element of this going on too.

The grass is always greener.

McClaren incoming on 08:19 - May 3 with 3528 viewsDorse

McClaren incoming on 08:15 - May 3 by Esox_Lucius

There seems to be a strong element of this going on too.

One for Smegma, surely?

I should be fcuking ashamed.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

McClaren incoming on 08:47 - May 3 with 3464 viewssimmo

McClaren incoming on 02:28 - May 3 by mylot50years

Much bigger risk if Holloway is here next season, why do some fans think things are likely to change from the last two seasons of , erratic decisions coaching wise, falling attendances and the likes of what we saw at Millwall away in the way he represented our club, a total embarrassment. McClaren a risk ? I don't think so, in a coaching capacity only, he would be a major step forward for QPR, and with LF and others left to continue the good work behind the scenes, along with some still difficult issues regarding FFP that have to be addressed, we may at last be able to go forward with a united fan base like we have enjoyed in the past.

Either way and as Dave has said, this is another thing that should be kept strictly internal - Fernandes can't help himself with this stuff and whatever you think of Olly as manager, he deserves better for what he's given to this club.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren incoming on 09:16 - May 3 with 3374 viewsTheChef

McClaren incoming on 00:35 - May 3 by TacticalR

The whole division should go on a mediocrity pride march.

Soon to be renamed as the Everyone Beats Everyone Else League.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

McClaren incoming on 09:18 - May 3 with 3358 viewsstevec

Like the idea of McLaren as a coach here, but despite the title and oversee by DoF Les, can you really just be a coach in this situation?

To me a coach needs a day to day manager above him. If McLaren hasn't got that then, whilst he is an excellent coach of players, does he have that managerial ability of knowing who to put an arm around and who to give earache? Can he look in charge when things start to go pear shaped?

For me, the play off final showed crystal clear the difference between a lousy coach but good manager of players and a good coach but lousy manager of players. Watch it back, McLaren's body language was not that of a man in charge of the better team, which they clearly were.

I'm only going by a foggy memory but he seems to be successful early on when his coaching takes precedence but when he needs to call on the managerial side of things, it starts to go less well.

Personally, reckon it would work a lot better if Bircham moved aside. Let Ollie do the man management, McLaren the coaching.
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren incoming on 09:28 - May 3 with 3320 viewsAntti_Heinola

The idea, expressed more than once on here, that McClaren would come in *under* Holloway, is so funny and unrealistic I wonder whether this entire board is final proof I'm living in one of those weird parallel worlds. McClaren coached under Redknapp because he needed work and Redknapp was injured and needed help (plus he doesn't coach, obvs), but it was always temporary. There is not a hamster in hell's chance he'd entertain a similar arrangement now, and neither would Ollie.

As for TF shooting his mouth off. Well, I've now listened to the podcast and he seems more knowledgeable (and calm) about football than most experts on here. He sounded eminently reasonable. He was asked to be honest and when asked about Ollie he hedged because he obviously didn't want to say 'he'll definitely be here next season.,' when there's a chance he won't be. We can't demand honesty in an interview and then say 'but not about Ian Holloway.' We sound ridiculous.

Bare bones.

McClaren incoming on 09:47 - May 3 with 3261 viewsstevec

McClaren incoming on 09:28 - May 3 by Antti_Heinola

The idea, expressed more than once on here, that McClaren would come in *under* Holloway, is so funny and unrealistic I wonder whether this entire board is final proof I'm living in one of those weird parallel worlds. McClaren coached under Redknapp because he needed work and Redknapp was injured and needed help (plus he doesn't coach, obvs), but it was always temporary. There is not a hamster in hell's chance he'd entertain a similar arrangement now, and neither would Ollie.

As for TF shooting his mouth off. Well, I've now listened to the podcast and he seems more knowledgeable (and calm) about football than most experts on here. He sounded eminently reasonable. He was asked to be honest and when asked about Ollie he hedged because he obviously didn't want to say 'he'll definitely be here next season.,' when there's a chance he won't be. We can't demand honesty in an interview and then say 'but not about Ian Holloway.' We sound ridiculous.

You're right Antti, TF's knowledge of football has been a real asset over the last 7 years.

McClaren incoming on 09:54 - May 3 with 3246 viewskropotkin41

I think Ollie going at this stage would be madness. For the first time in several seasons I think things are actually looking up. Unless Ollie wants to go, I just don't believe that very much if any good will come of changing manager/head coach or whatever again........ haven't we established over several years that our problems run deeper than that? And now we seem to be developing some talented youngsters, building team spirit and giving fans the occasional moments when they can feel pride in the supporting QPR, we're going to put it all at risk? Bonkers if true.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

McClaren incoming on 10:11 - May 3 with 3185 viewsA40Bosh

Not sure if this is an Omen, but on my way in to office this morning I walked past a McLaren in Marylebone with the end of the reg plate saying 'RRR' !!

Mclaren with the Rs?

Surely a sign from above?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

McClaren incoming on 10:26 - May 3 with 3140 viewsEsox_Lucius

McClaren incoming on 09:18 - May 3 by stevec

Like the idea of McLaren as a coach here, but despite the title and oversee by DoF Les, can you really just be a coach in this situation?

To me a coach needs a day to day manager above him. If McLaren hasn't got that then, whilst he is an excellent coach of players, does he have that managerial ability of knowing who to put an arm around and who to give earache? Can he look in charge when things start to go pear shaped?

For me, the play off final showed crystal clear the difference between a lousy coach but good manager of players and a good coach but lousy manager of players. Watch it back, McLaren's body language was not that of a man in charge of the better team, which they clearly were.

I'm only going by a foggy memory but he seems to be successful early on when his coaching takes precedence but when he needs to call on the managerial side of things, it starts to go less well.

Personally, reckon it would work a lot better if Bircham moved aside. Let Ollie do the man management, McLaren the coaching.

I believe that the only reason we were even in the play off final was because of the time McClaren was with us and Steve Black at the end. We were promoted despite our manager, not because of him.

The grass is always greener.

McClaren incoming on 10:28 - May 3 with 3130 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren incoming on 09:47 - May 3 by stevec

You're right Antti, TF's knowledge of football has been a real asset over the last 7 years.

Indeed.
And yet even he knows that the chances of McClaren coaching under Holloway are about as likely as Matt Smith winning the Ballon d'Or.

Bare bones.

McClaren incoming on 10:33 - May 3 with 3104 viewsNW10Hoop

Unless the penny has dropped with him and he knows he's more of a coach than a manager? At some point Gerry Francis went from ex QPR and Spurs manager to Tony Pulis' right hand man.

It put him in the shop window last time, and despite all the madness he seems pretty complimentary when talking about QPR.

We'll know soon enough I suppose, I was just saying it'd be nice.
McClaren incoming on 10:36 - May 3 with 3092 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 00:35 - May 3 by Myke

@ Dave B - Holloway has many times proved to be tactically inept - either by insisting on hitting long balls to Smith when this is clearly not his strong suit, persisting with a wing-back formation which was clearly not working, incapable of making game-altering substitutions and picking Eze as a lone striker are some examples of these. McClaren has regularly demonstrated his tactical nous - let us not forget that despite the glorious result, Derby completely out-played us in the play-off final and except for Green and Dunne we would have been slaughtered

@ Boston * volition - don't judge - up since 6!!

He has made mistakes but all managers do, he's also had good days as well, his tactical move to stop Cairney worked well at Fulham, he's not as bad as he's made out to be but as he's a clear motivator and talks funny he'll always be pigeon holes as tactically inept.

Can;t see how you can use the playoff final to prove Mcclarens tactical nous, we had 10 ten for half an hour and he struggled to break us down waiting until it was too late to throw Bamford on. He's not terrible but wouldn't say he's any better than Holloway in that regard.

I know the wing back system wasn't popular but results wise things haven't changed that much, we were doing OK with 5 at the back and also doing OK with 4. In 2018 we won 4 lost 5 with 5 at the back, since then we've won 5, lost 4 drawn 2 so slightly better but not hugely different.
McClaren incoming on 10:38 - May 3 with 3081 viewsVancouverHoop

>>I just don't believe that very much if any good will come of changing manager/head coach or whatever again........ haven't we established over several years that our problems run deeper than that?<<

We have. But maybe – given that other aspects of the club are looking up – finding the right manager is the last, crucial, piece of the puzzle?

I'm not in the 'Ollie out' camp, I'm comfortable with him staying for the moment, especially if Ramsey's around to help with the youngsters. But I'm not sure how much more they, and the team, will improve under his tutelage. There's also a general pattern to Ollie's managerial career which I'm sure our board is considering. After a period of initial success things have usually gone pear-shaped, for one reason or another, fairly rapidly. Can we risk that happening again? As others have said, he's done what he was hired to do, maybe now is the time to move on.

OTOH a new manager doesn't come with any sort of warranty, and our hiring record over the past couple of decades has been pretty dire. If a change is coming I hope it's done confidently and with proper diligence, and not just because it feels right. I'd rather the Bristolian devil we know than a managerial pig in a poke.
McClaren incoming on 10:41 - May 3 with 3069 viewsdaveB

I'm fine with him being honest and it was a good interview but I do think the timing of it was poor and would rather have heard this after the event rather than before. Either way now Holloway is a dead man walking, we now know they have doubts about him so if he stays that won't go away next season and if he goes it seems a bit unprofessional to be talking about this before it has happened.

It's hard to have a firm opinion on it until we know for sure whats happening as Holloway may well have decided to go but I just don't think saying this in public was a clever thing to do and it's not the first time he's done this either. He's did similar with Warnock and JFH
McClaren incoming on 10:42 - May 3 with 3065 viewshopphoops

McClaren incoming on 10:41 - May 3 by daveB

I'm fine with him being honest and it was a good interview but I do think the timing of it was poor and would rather have heard this after the event rather than before. Either way now Holloway is a dead man walking, we now know they have doubts about him so if he stays that won't go away next season and if he goes it seems a bit unprofessional to be talking about this before it has happened.

It's hard to have a firm opinion on it until we know for sure whats happening as Holloway may well have decided to go but I just don't think saying this in public was a clever thing to do and it's not the first time he's done this either. He's did similar with Warnock and JFH

Ollie in. If he wants. FWIW.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

McClaren incoming on 10:42 - May 3 with 3063 viewssmegma

McClaren incoming on 00:19 - May 3 by isawqpratwcity

Nothing on Offish, BBC...Has anything happened yet?

But it's on WATRBs. And here.

Must be true.
McClaren incoming on 10:57 - May 3 with 2998 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 10:42 - May 3 by smegma

But it's on WATRBs. And here.

Must be true.

the rumour did say it would be after the Leeds game which hasn't happened yet
McClaren incoming on 11:32 - May 3 with 2915 viewsNov77

McClaren incoming on 09:47 - May 3 by stevec

he said in the podcast that even he was telling ollie to revert to a back four.

TF for manager? Flavio as number 2 ?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

McClaren incoming on 11:45 - May 3 with 2857 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 11:32 - May 3 by Nov77

he said in the podcast that even he was telling ollie to revert to a back four.

TF for manager? Flavio as number 2 ?

He said we should play a 4-4-2 which was all to play to the fans opinions he pretends he doesn't care about, same as what he said about Hughes, even when Hughes went he was still saying how great he was but now he is blaming him for everything. Good job Holloway didn't listen to him really as 4-4-2 would have meant no play in the team for Eze or Freeman
McClaren incoming on 12:13 - May 3 with 2756 viewsPinnerPaul

McClaren incoming on 17:31 - May 2 by Northernr

DaveB on May 2 wins this year's sweepstake for first mention of how hard next season's Championship looks. Spoiler alert - it'll be just as mediocre as it always is.

Yep just thinking that.

I'll get it over with now - there are ALWAYS

3 teams relegated from the PL ('Loads of money, will walk the div')
3 teams that missed out in the play offs ('Unlucky, will be stronger than ever this year')
3 teams promoted from League 1 ('Have momentum, going to be good sides')

Plus people always pick out 2 or 3 other sides from the top 10 ('Think xyz will be very strong this year')

This is usually rounded off with 'I'll be happy to finish 15th again this season' - Of course after we lose 1 or 2 games this changes to wanting the manager out.

There we go - that's the summer's threads sorted!
McClaren incoming on 12:25 - May 3 with 2695 viewsA40Bosh

McClaren incoming on 11:45 - May 3 by daveB

He said we should play a 4-4-2 which was all to play to the fans opinions he pretends he doesn't care about, same as what he said about Hughes, even when Hughes went he was still saying how great he was but now he is blaming him for everything. Good job Holloway didn't listen to him really as 4-4-2 would have meant no play in the team for Eze or Freeman

So I must be the only naive one who interpretted that comment about 442 as him saying that he does not interfer as an owner but saying he still had the right to express his opinions to Ollie "as a fan" about saying we should play 442 - hence Finney came out with another quip about him "being the only one who wanted it" but it went under the radar.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024