Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite 18:22 - Mar 5 with 24455 viewsrafc1984

Board if this is to be, I urge you to think as it is a completely uninspiring appointment. He has done nothing to deserve the managers job at our beloved football club.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 07:37 - Mar 6 with 3506 viewsEllDale

I've no doubt that Evans would want plenty of money to rebuild the team.
That would be the biggest stumbling block as far as he's concerned.
Mind you, any candidate worth his salt would ask at the interview stage what funds were available.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 07:38 - Mar 6 with 3497 viewsfitzochris

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 07:37 - Mar 6 by EllDale

I've no doubt that Evans would want plenty of money to rebuild the team.
That would be the biggest stumbling block as far as he's concerned.
Mind you, any candidate worth his salt would ask at the interview stage what funds were available.

A manager who wants funds is going to be disappointed.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 11:52 - Mar 6 with 3240 viewsBarrowBluebird

Ian Evatt has done an absolutely remarkable job for us this season. He has come in, transformed the squad on one of the lowest budgets in the league and pushed us far beyond our expectations at the start of the season, in which were relegation! The football has been great to watch, he is a real believer in a possession game and knocking the ball round. Unfortunately, this does lead to overcomplicating things, however at a higher level I think this could be minimised. The supporters complaining here are entitled to do so, however most won't understand the work he has done. 90% of the fans are behind him, unfortunately like all clubs we have our fickle fans (in which one wrote about leaving at HT last night).

He has a young squad at Barrow in which he has done fantastically with. If we had an out and out goalscorer, we would be much higher in the table. We lost that in Tyler Smith who now is on loan at Doncaster.

If you don't want him, feel free to protest to your board as he is happily welcome to stay at Barrow. Otherwise, get behind him.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 11:53]
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 12:03 - Mar 6 with 3202 viewsBrierls

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 11:52 - Mar 6 by BarrowBluebird

Ian Evatt has done an absolutely remarkable job for us this season. He has come in, transformed the squad on one of the lowest budgets in the league and pushed us far beyond our expectations at the start of the season, in which were relegation! The football has been great to watch, he is a real believer in a possession game and knocking the ball round. Unfortunately, this does lead to overcomplicating things, however at a higher level I think this could be minimised. The supporters complaining here are entitled to do so, however most won't understand the work he has done. 90% of the fans are behind him, unfortunately like all clubs we have our fickle fans (in which one wrote about leaving at HT last night).

He has a young squad at Barrow in which he has done fantastically with. If we had an out and out goalscorer, we would be much higher in the table. We lost that in Tyler Smith who now is on loan at Doncaster.

If you don't want him, feel free to protest to your board as he is happily welcome to stay at Barrow. Otherwise, get behind him.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 11:53]

Thanks for taking the time to post. It's good to hear it from fans who can actually put into context the job that he has done, beyond results and league tables.

When you say he's transformed the squad, do you mean overhauled the squad or just got the exsisting players performing better?

They say the bookies are rarely wrong, but in the case of the early stages of the lower league manager markets they often are. The market is so small that big swings in odds can occur after a rumour on a messageboard, somebody taking a £10 punt or even somebody requesting a name that's not already mentioned.

Evatt's work won't go unnoticed though. If he was appointed I'm sure the vast majority would get behind him. Myself included.

P.S. Who was your manager previously? We could do with a few tips on getting a tune out of Jordan Williams
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 12:18 - Mar 6 with 3144 viewsoff2div1

Evatt interview later today according to Alan Nixon on twitter
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 12:30 - Mar 6 with 3078 viewsBrierls

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 12:18 - Mar 6 by off2div1

Evatt interview later today according to Alan Nixon on twitter

I thought that meant an interview with Evatt, not a job interview for Evatt!

Nixon is pretty reliable. This is more of a reason for those extremely short odds.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 12:50 - Mar 6 with 2988 viewsParkinsGimp

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 19:26 - Mar 5 by Brierls

While I don't agree he'd be on a par with Eyre, we simply don't know, I agree it would be a uninspiring appointment on paper.

If the likes of Flynn and Hurst have been approached and turned us down (that would have to have happened very quickly) then I don't suspect we have much choice than to be looking at up and coming managers. Evatt falls into that category and he looks to have done a good job at Barrow, who are probably the National League equivalent of Dale in League One as far as budgets go.

We HAD to sack Hilly though. We HAD to. Apparently. As some have said, be careful what you wish for. Idiots.

As much as I'm smarting over us sacking Hilly, whoever comes in has to be given backing and support. I'd just rather it was somebody we as fans could get excitied about.

Course we had to sack him they guy was a CN*T! . He would of taken us down to National League or beyond. Totally lost the plot should of been picked up by the scruff of his neck and slung out before Xmas, No matter what he had done in the past he was destroying the club with his arrogant attitude and nonsensical tactics and appointment, Giving a new manager a chance. Immediately we have the Hill Bum Chums deriding any appointment. I might wait till the new manager starts telling us all to F Off and blaming everyone but himself.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 13:00 - Mar 6 with 2930 viewsBarrowBluebird

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 12:03 - Mar 6 by Brierls

Thanks for taking the time to post. It's good to hear it from fans who can actually put into context the job that he has done, beyond results and league tables.

When you say he's transformed the squad, do you mean overhauled the squad or just got the exsisting players performing better?

They say the bookies are rarely wrong, but in the case of the early stages of the lower league manager markets they often are. The market is so small that big swings in odds can occur after a rumour on a messageboard, somebody taking a £10 punt or even somebody requesting a name that's not already mentioned.

Evatt's work won't go unnoticed though. If he was appointed I'm sure the vast majority would get behind him. Myself included.

P.S. Who was your manager previously? We could do with a few tips on getting a tune out of Jordan Williams

No problem.

He has completely overhauled the squad, in which was needed. However, the existing players (3, with a fourth injured) have improved vastly under his management. One of those players has been called up to the England C squad, which is a squad for U23 players in Non-League.

Our previous manager was Ady Pennock, however the man that managed Williams was Paul Cox, who is currently out of work having left us and then getting sacked at Guiseley. It's a shame that he hasn't necessarily worked out, perhaps he made the move to the Football League too quickly. He was a very useful player here.
Login to get fewer ads

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 13:33 - Mar 6 with 2765 viewsdingdangblue

Ian Evatt won manager of the month in December. That wouldn't have gone unnoticed if the new Dale board were already looking for a replacement for Hill.

https://www.barrowafc.com/bluebirds-boss-wins-top-award/

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 13:46 - Mar 6 with 2703 viewsChaffRAFC

Being interviewed this afternoon according to Alan Nixon on Twitter.

Any manager that comes in will get my absolute backing, but this is a huge risk for the board of directors and in particular the Invisible Chairman and David Bottomley.

Last week, Bottomley stated the club were fully behind Keith Hill and weren't going to make a knee jerk reaction after a 5-1 defeat at Plymouth.

We then go to Luton and play much better and lose 2-0 to the side top of the league and then the decision is made to sack Hill and Beech. The most successful manager in our history and 5th longest serving in the football league. That was without mass protest from the fanbase which isn't something I've seen before personally, there was much more visible anger and frustration when Eyre, Simmo, Barrow, Buckley and even Coleman were in charge. Hill still had more support than any of those. That's not to say I disagree, I don't, it was absolutely time for him to go but the decision was huge!

Then, applications are coming from across Europe for the job and we're not in a rush to appoint anyone. BBM and STE are taking the training for the week and possibly the Shrewsbury game.

Then we end up being linked with a manager who, while very well thought of at his club by fans, has a managerial career that spans about 30 games, all but 3 of which are two divisions below us. He's done well with a team favourites for relegation but has still lost more than they've won.

This appointment was big in order to bring back some positivity and give us a boost and I'm not sure this would do that. I think many would be asking serious questions like why is this option better than giving it BBM and STE till the end of the season or were the likes of Paul Hurst out of our reach etc.

If it works, magnificent, but if it doesn't, the board will be made to look extremely foolish at a time where there are more questions and doubts about our board than I've ever known.

Though, like I said, whoever comes in, gets my backing.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 13:52 - Mar 6 with 2663 viewsJimmyRustler

The most straightforward answer to the question posed in the title is that those ITK reckon it's a done deal/someone has stuck a white fiver on him in the betting.

However, I can't help but be concerned by the duelling narratives presented by the club if he does indeed get appointed. We apparently sacked KH as the club saw the upcoming fixtures and remaining games as a good opportunity to retain our League 1 status. With that in mind, why on earth would we appoint someone with no football league experience/experience of managing a relegation threatened team? (3 games in charge of Chesterfield does not count for anything).

Does Evatt being in charge really give us more chance of staying up than with KH at the helm? The short answer is does it fvck. The long answer is nobody truly knows and that's the concerning thing. It would be an absolute punt and roll of the dice, nothing more.

If the board have ended up sacking KH, (the man who kept us up last year in a similar scenario and has gotten us promoted twice from League 2) in order to take a punt on an unproven manager after spouting that crap then we will know that they're just talking out of their arse and don't give a shiny shite
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:05 - Mar 6 with 2570 viewsNinco

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 13:52 - Mar 6 by JimmyRustler

The most straightforward answer to the question posed in the title is that those ITK reckon it's a done deal/someone has stuck a white fiver on him in the betting.

However, I can't help but be concerned by the duelling narratives presented by the club if he does indeed get appointed. We apparently sacked KH as the club saw the upcoming fixtures and remaining games as a good opportunity to retain our League 1 status. With that in mind, why on earth would we appoint someone with no football league experience/experience of managing a relegation threatened team? (3 games in charge of Chesterfield does not count for anything).

Does Evatt being in charge really give us more chance of staying up than with KH at the helm? The short answer is does it fvck. The long answer is nobody truly knows and that's the concerning thing. It would be an absolute punt and roll of the dice, nothing more.

If the board have ended up sacking KH, (the man who kept us up last year in a similar scenario and has gotten us promoted twice from League 2) in order to take a punt on an unproven manager after spouting that crap then we will know that they're just talking out of their arse and don't give a shiny shite

I don't think the division that a manager is currently working in is relevant. His ability to manage is what's important and a good manager should be able to work at any level. Right now, the players need someone who can give them a lift psychologically, someone who can play them in their preferred position, someone who can pick the best team and not keep chopping and changing. Someone who is a good tactician. Someone who can train them on their inadequacies. Someone who makes them feel valued. Give them all that and they might start performing again.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:11 - Mar 6 with 2536 viewsJimmyRustler

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:05 - Mar 6 by Ninco

I don't think the division that a manager is currently working in is relevant. His ability to manage is what's important and a good manager should be able to work at any level. Right now, the players need someone who can give them a lift psychologically, someone who can play them in their preferred position, someone who can pick the best team and not keep chopping and changing. Someone who is a good tactician. Someone who can train them on their inadequacies. Someone who makes them feel valued. Give them all that and they might start performing again.

That all rings true if you're talking about a seasoned campaigner. Ian Evatt is an inexperienced manager and represents a huge gamble. How does anyone know what he can and can't do yet? He probably doesn't even know himself at this stage what his own strengths and weaknesses are
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:15 - Mar 6 with 2509 viewsNinco

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:11 - Mar 6 by JimmyRustler

That all rings true if you're talking about a seasoned campaigner. Ian Evatt is an inexperienced manager and represents a huge gamble. How does anyone know what he can and can't do yet? He probably doesn't even know himself at this stage what his own strengths and weaknesses are

Hill had no experience when he was first appointed. It's all about taking a gamble. Seasoned campaigners want big wages. If we take a chance on Evatt, like we did with Hill, and only give him a short contract, if it works for us great. If it doesn't, we try someone else, but if we don't take him on and someone else gets him and he does well for them, we will end up wondering what might have been.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:22 - Mar 6 with 2485 viewssweetcorn

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:15 - Mar 6 by Ninco

Hill had no experience when he was first appointed. It's all about taking a gamble. Seasoned campaigners want big wages. If we take a chance on Evatt, like we did with Hill, and only give him a short contract, if it works for us great. If it doesn't, we try someone else, but if we don't take him on and someone else gets him and he does well for them, we will end up wondering what might have been.

Well in that case why don’t we go for rochdalians manager, it all makes sense if divisions don’t matter. Local to the club, low compensation and has them challenging for the lancashire and cheshire amateur league.

You see how silly that sounds? Of course division matters, there are after all levels to this game. If poaching conference managers is our level then its worse than I thought.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:23 - Mar 6 with 2482 views49thseason

That's a description of a miracle worker! I personally think we are down and whoever is appointed would be better using their energies in preparation for next season. Motivating a team that has accepted relegation is probably the worst job in football. After 7 seasons of Keith Hill you would hope that there is a lot in place that is good, but the first team squad is as weak as we have known it for years and needs a lot of pruning.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:35 - Mar 6 with 2433 viewsJimmyRustler

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:15 - Mar 6 by Ninco

Hill was appointed internally and earned himself the job with with his results . It's apples and oranges
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:41 - Mar 6 with 2399 viewsrochdale_ranger

The manager of the red lion is doing well in my Sunday pub league why don’t the club give him a bell.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:44 - Mar 6 with 2385 viewsD_Alien

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:41 - Mar 6 by rochdale_ranger

The manager of the red lion is doing well in my Sunday pub league why don’t the club give him a bell.

He could call time on some of the squad

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:48 - Mar 6 with 2353 viewsDaleFan7

Evatt out to 1/2 and BBM into 11/2. Must have been the tenner I put on BBM.

Sky class the manager as permanent if they manage 10 competitive games.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:03 - Mar 6 with 2293 viewssweetcorn

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 14:41 - Mar 6 by rochdale_ranger

Stop stealing my lines..

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:04 - Mar 6 with 2288 viewsNinco

Anyone is entitled to apply for the role.

Personally I don't see a problem with taking on a manager from the conference. There is a good standard of football in the conference. Craig Dawson came from there and having a manager who has the inside knowledge to find players like that who cost hardly anything and can go on to a higher level is more appealing to me than a manager who finds players that cost a fortune and end up sat in the stands getting paid for nothing because they are not good enough.

Most managers in the conference are used to working within a tight budget, and until we have seen what they can do for the club, I don't think it's fair to say that they are not the right person for the job.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:23 - Mar 6 with 2216 viewsJimmyRustler

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:04 - Mar 6 by Ninco

Anyone is entitled to apply for the role.

Personally I don't see a problem with taking on a manager from the conference. There is a good standard of football in the conference. Craig Dawson came from there and having a manager who has the inside knowledge to find players like that who cost hardly anything and can go on to a higher level is more appealing to me than a manager who finds players that cost a fortune and end up sat in the stands getting paid for nothing because they are not good enough.

Most managers in the conference are used to working within a tight budget, and until we have seen what they can do for the club, I don't think it's fair to say that they are not the right person for the job.

There is no problem with it per se but the point is that it's an absolute gamble and a seemingly unsubstantiated one given that the board came out with the bollocks regarding the retention of our League 1 status. I'd rather them just be honest and say, we wanted KH out but we can't really afford anyone of note so we are gonna take a real punt on a lower league manager in the knowledge that we are probably down anyway. Oh, and for every Craig Dawson there is a Jordan Williams, Jack Muldoon and John Shaw (pretty sure we paid money for all of those too)
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:50 - Mar 6 with 2126 viewsdalenumber2

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:23 - Mar 6 by JimmyRustler

There is no problem with it per se but the point is that it's an absolute gamble and a seemingly unsubstantiated one given that the board came out with the bollocks regarding the retention of our League 1 status. I'd rather them just be honest and say, we wanted KH out but we can't really afford anyone of note so we are gonna take a real punt on a lower league manager in the knowledge that we are probably down anyway. Oh, and for every Craig Dawson there is a Jordan Williams, Jack Muldoon and John Shaw (pretty sure we paid money for all of those too)

Surely whoever we appoint is a gamble - we certainly took a big gamble when we appointed Hill. I feel quite depressed that people are moaning about someone who has not even got the job yet, and I'm worried that if he did get it, he would not be starting with much of a welcome.
There is a lot of misery on this board (understandable) - it's been going on for weeks, but I'm surprised how the general mood has changed so dramatically from anti-Hill to pro-Hill.
Anyway he's gone now so let's see what happens and give whoever is next a good chance and our support before we start comparing him to Hill in his better days.
How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:56 - Mar 6 with 2093 viewssweetcorn

How/why the fook is Ian evatt odds on favourite on 15:50 - Mar 6 by dalenumber2

Surely whoever we appoint is a gamble - we certainly took a big gamble when we appointed Hill. I feel quite depressed that people are moaning about someone who has not even got the job yet, and I'm worried that if he did get it, he would not be starting with much of a welcome.
There is a lot of misery on this board (understandable) - it's been going on for weeks, but I'm surprised how the general mood has changed so dramatically from anti-Hill to pro-Hill.
Anyway he's gone now so let's see what happens and give whoever is next a good chance and our support before we start comparing him to Hill in his better days.

Why do people seemingly re-write history with Hill, we didn’t just pluck him out of obscurity, he was caretaker manager and the results he produced forced the boards hand in taking him as manager..

Evatt doesn’t exactly have a body of work to judge him off does he..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024