Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chapel End next season 16:01 - Feb 19 with 6158 viewsBar_Brother

A lot of fans will hate this proposal but I am utterly convinced that we need to make the Chapel end our main singing stand next season. I hope the club will rethink before announcing season tickets etc- I think there is a stronger case now than ever before to create our own Kop like end. The Northam and Itchen corner now serve no benefit to the team. Fans moan about the other stands and lack of atmosphere but let’s be honest that is not going to change/ for a number of reasons (demographics & average age of fan being one of them)
I also appreciate many fans detest the idea of a choreographed end with flags and people bouncing up and down in some euro style frenzy- but times have changed. St Mary’s is becoming increasingly depressing for our supporters- I personally don’t agree it’s because the team have been poor at home- we had better support in the championship the season we were relegated.
Sitting next to the away fans now is becoming embarrassing and quite honestly most away followings out sing us. Neutrals watching us on TV could be forgiven for not even realising there were fans who sing in the Northam. How much better would it look if we had a vociferous Chapel End- (what a great name for a home end!)Villa fans create a lot of noise from the Holte end as do palace and Liverpool- the other advantage is the noise from the Chapel would transmit across to the team and would be heard loud and clear by the away fans. Austin made some valid points- I really hope the club take a look at this and do something pro active for a change. From the supporters side there also has to be the will to make a change- what have we got to lose?
Chapel End next season on 12:53 - Feb 20 with 1118 views1ASIN12

I think some of the problem with out atmosphere both at home and away is my simply do not have enough songs to sing.

We are not going to get the club, season ticket holders, police to agree to either move the away fans orhave the chapel end as a KOP. The best time to do this was when the stadium 1st opened but fans chose to be near the away fans for what ever reason.

Maybe we, as fans, should get together and "write" some new songs. We must have fans out there that cold come up with songs about Southampton Fc, Southampton the City, Hampshire, Players and the management team etc.

Both Manchester united and Liverpool have a pub where supports gather and a lot of their songs originate from or catch on.

Manchester United have a guy (I cant remenber his name) who writes and leads a lot of teh songs in the pub (Bishops Blaize ?)

Yes some ar worse then others and a lot of the one game a season fans go in their , but songs get learnt and that then gets sung in the ground - noth home and away.
Chapel End next season on 13:29 - Feb 20 with 1099 viewsPatfromPoole

I think it would take relegation for there to be any drastic change of where big blocks of people sit / stand.

The club could force the issue by moving the family section from the Chapel to the Northam. This would then move Northamers either to the Chapel or to the Itchen North. I think if the will was there between enough fans with influence, there could be a concerted move to the Chapel by both Northamers and Itchen North lads.

Personally I love the Itchen North and being near the away fans. Though it was quite decent to stand in the Chapel for England v Kosovo (drums apart) and I’d be open-minded about moving to the Chapel if it became the best place to be.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Chapel End next season on 13:54 - Feb 20 with 1083 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 13:29 - Feb 20 by PatfromPoole

I think it would take relegation for there to be any drastic change of where big blocks of people sit / stand.

The club could force the issue by moving the family section from the Chapel to the Northam. This would then move Northamers either to the Chapel or to the Itchen North. I think if the will was there between enough fans with influence, there could be a concerted move to the Chapel by both Northamers and Itchen North lads.

Personally I love the Itchen North and being near the away fans. Though it was quite decent to stand in the Chapel for England v Kosovo (drums apart) and I’d be open-minded about moving to the Chapel if it became the best place to be.

Good point regarding the moving of the family section from the Chapel,Pat.
Chapel End next season on 14:23 - Feb 20 with 1061 viewsWalkingRosie

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Every few months we have a debate about making the Northam Stand a home end only, every time people like myself bring up the logisitcal reasons why this would not be practical, but eac h time they ignored and we keep repeating the exercise in adfinitum.

The blunt truth is football stadiums are like pubs they are all just buildings, what makes a good pub or a good football ground is the people inside it.

We can't even fill the Northam end now so making it the home end won't do a thing for the atmosphere, the only thing that will change that is a change in mindset for most of our fanbase.

Stop moaning about the club and finding something negative in everything and an excuse for everything and try and change it.

The guys in the Itchen North including Frannies Tache have done just that and we mght not have a home end, but we have a better thing, the away fans surrounded on both sides and from that perspective we can drown out the away fans, not actually give them a part of the ground where they can make a lot of noise unchallenged.

So creating a home end might be a negative move given the attitude prevalent in a large chunk of our fanbase at present.

Keep it how it is and you have the Northam and part of the Kingsland quite vocal and then another section in the itchen coming at the away fans from both sides.

Stereo effect so to speak and if conjoined probably a better effect than we have ever had from the northam alone.

There is always an excuse from some, whatever the issue, time to stop using excuses and trying to utilise what we have got

The Itchen North is arising

Northam do your job, Northam, Northam do your job

Chapel End next season on 14:35 - Feb 20 with 1053 viewsWalkingRosie

Chapel End next season on 12:53 - Feb 20 by 1ASIN12

I think some of the problem with out atmosphere both at home and away is my simply do not have enough songs to sing.

We are not going to get the club, season ticket holders, police to agree to either move the away fans orhave the chapel end as a KOP. The best time to do this was when the stadium 1st opened but fans chose to be near the away fans for what ever reason.

Maybe we, as fans, should get together and "write" some new songs. We must have fans out there that cold come up with songs about Southampton Fc, Southampton the City, Hampshire, Players and the management team etc.

Both Manchester united and Liverpool have a pub where supports gather and a lot of their songs originate from or catch on.

Manchester United have a guy (I cant remenber his name) who writes and leads a lot of teh songs in the pub (Bishops Blaize ?)

Yes some ar worse then others and a lot of the one game a season fans go in their , but songs get learnt and that then gets sung in the ground - noth home and away.

Pete Boyle

Chapel End next season on 16:30 - Feb 20 with 1031 viewsfranniesTache

Chapel End next season on 14:35 - Feb 20 by WalkingRosie

Pete Boyle

We've "written" plenty mush, trouble is no f*cker joins in
Chapel End next season on 17:40 - Feb 20 with 1001 viewskingslandstand1

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 20 by SaintNick

Every few months we have a debate about making the Northam Stand a home end only, every time people like myself bring up the logisitcal reasons why this would not be practical, but eac h time they ignored and we keep repeating the exercise in adfinitum.

The blunt truth is football stadiums are like pubs they are all just buildings, what makes a good pub or a good football ground is the people inside it.

We can't even fill the Northam end now so making it the home end won't do a thing for the atmosphere, the only thing that will change that is a change in mindset for most of our fanbase.

Stop moaning about the club and finding something negative in everything and an excuse for everything and try and change it.

The guys in the Itchen North including Frannies Tache have done just that and we mght not have a home end, but we have a better thing, the away fans surrounded on both sides and from that perspective we can drown out the away fans, not actually give them a part of the ground where they can make a lot of noise unchallenged.

So creating a home end might be a negative move given the attitude prevalent in a large chunk of our fanbase at present.

Keep it how it is and you have the Northam and part of the Kingsland quite vocal and then another section in the itchen coming at the away fans from both sides.

Stereo effect so to speak and if conjoined probably a better effect than we have ever had from the northam alone.

There is always an excuse from some, whatever the issue, time to stop using excuses and trying to utilise what we have got

Also nods in general agreement, particularly the "stereo" bit I (as I said elsewhere) but without people prepared to sing in those places it's all just theory

The club need to do something to encourage the more vociferous fan in to those 2 areas
Chapel End next season on 17:52 - Feb 20 with 995 viewsgrumpy

Chapel End next season on 17:40 - Feb 20 by kingslandstand1

Also nods in general agreement, particularly the "stereo" bit I (as I said elsewhere) but without people prepared to sing in those places it's all just theory

The club need to do something to encourage the more vociferous fan in to those 2 areas

I have always thought 'I would walk 500 miles'by the Proclaimers would be a good song for us.
Login to get fewer ads

Chapel End next season on 18:49 - Feb 20 with 977 viewsdirk_doone

Chapel End next season on 17:40 - Feb 20 by kingslandstand1

You'd think the people writing this rubbish had never been to a game at St Mary's. There isn't any 'stereo effect' and as for the 2 groups of home fans in the corners of the away end 'drowning out' the away fans, don't make me laugh. Unless, the away team only brings a few hundred fans, the away fans are the ones doing the drowning out. If the 2 groups in the corners united into one big group, like they do at away games, they might at least make themselves heard. As it is, they have almost zero effect on games as the only time any player or official ever notices them is when there is a corner.

As for new songs, we could modify this old one:

"Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley, have you heard of the North Bank, Highbury?
Shanks said, No, I don't think so
But I've heard of the two little groups in the corners of the away end at St Mary's"

Like our home support, it needs a bit of work.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 19:06]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Chapel End next season on 20:53 - Feb 20 with 915 viewsPatfromPoole

Chapel End next season on 18:49 - Feb 20 by dirk_doone

You'd think the people writing this rubbish had never been to a game at St Mary's. There isn't any 'stereo effect' and as for the 2 groups of home fans in the corners of the away end 'drowning out' the away fans, don't make me laugh. Unless, the away team only brings a few hundred fans, the away fans are the ones doing the drowning out. If the 2 groups in the corners united into one big group, like they do at away games, they might at least make themselves heard. As it is, they have almost zero effect on games as the only time any player or official ever notices them is when there is a corner.

As for new songs, we could modify this old one:

"Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley, have you heard of the North Bank, Highbury?
Shanks said, No, I don't think so
But I've heard of the two little groups in the corners of the away end at St Mary's"

Like our home support, it needs a bit of work.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 19:06]

Where do you go in the ground?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Chapel End next season on 20:58 - Feb 20 with 908 viewsBar_Brother

Absolutely spot on- there is no identity by having two fragmented groups in the corners- the Chapel End could be renamed the Dockers End - could give our younger fans a new sense of belonging.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 21:04]
Chapel End next season on 20:58 - Feb 20 with 908 viewsdirk_doone

Chapel End next season on 20:53 - Feb 20 by PatfromPoole

Where do you go in the ground?

Kingsland. I started out in the 60s behind the goal, under the chocolate boxes at the Dell and we used to dream of having a big, covered home end back then. The move of our singers to the side only happened because there was a roof there so the acoustics were better. In those days most other grounds had a covered home end.

[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 2:57]

Chapel End next season on 21:11 - Feb 20 with 888 viewsgrumpy

I don't get all this throwing abuse at away fans obsession,surely its about supporting the team.I went into the Itchen once and this guy who was with his small boy it seemed all he was interested in was throwing abuse at the Hull fans,two whom, big guys, looked like they could be fishermen looked at him and just shook their heads. Embarrassing or what....
Chapel End next season on 21:19 - Feb 20 with 883 viewsdirk_doone

Chapel End next season on 21:11 - Feb 20 by grumpy

I don't get all this throwing abuse at away fans obsession,surely its about supporting the team.I went into the Itchen once and this guy who was with his small boy it seemed all he was interested in was throwing abuse at the Hull fans,two whom, big guys, looked like they could be fishermen looked at him and just shook their heads. Embarrassing or what....

To be fair, it happens at most grounds but they usually have a whole home end and another little group near the away fans whereas we just have two little groups near the away fans.

Back in the 70s and 80s, a group of home fans in the away end could be intimidating because there was a real threat of violence but in this day and age they are just something for the away fans to laugh at.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 21:26]

Chapel End next season on 08:53 - Feb 21 with 792 viewsSaintNick

Chapel End next season on 21:19 - Feb 20 by dirk_doone

To be fair, it happens at most grounds but they usually have a whole home end and another little group near the away fans whereas we just have two little groups near the away fans.

Back in the 70s and 80s, a group of home fans in the away end could be intimidating because there was a real threat of violence but in this day and age they are just something for the away fans to laugh at.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 21:26]

There is an easy solution to this, there are plenty of none season ticket holder seats in the Itchen, Dirk can form a supporters group liase with the club and mount a campaign for a home end and the Saints fans in the northam to all move to the Itchen.

It might not happen overnight but then again this has been moaned about on this board for years, so an extra couple won't make too much difference.

It is time som accept that logistically giving Saints fans the whole Northam isn't going to happen due there being very few places that they could locate the away fans.

Football grounds should be about people not stands, the fact is we havent got a vocal crowd because we spend so much time on social media moaning that we haven't instead of just getting on with it.

Visit Anfield, yes the atmosphere isn't what it is these days because of the tourists, but the 5 minutes before kick off is not bettered at any other UK ground with the flags on the Kop etc, that was all supporter driven.

Last week the club asked for supporters to fill the gap in the Northam with flags, this was an initiative by some supporters, I think 4 flags were in view.

It seems most are just happy moaning about it than doing it.

The lads in the Itchen North have actually done something about it, Dirk you are vocal on here, the ball is in your court

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Chapel End next season on 09:06 - Feb 21 with 780 viewsfranniesTache

Chapel End next season on 17:52 - Feb 20 by grumpy

I have always thought 'I would walk 500 miles'by the Proclaimers would be a good song for us.

We tried to re-purpose Dock Of The Bay to make a Southampton song (it's a song about f*cking docks ffs, nothing is more Southampton than a song about docks) and we got told it was too negative by some of our dins.

The one time we did get it going was Fulham away in the cup and it sounded class, 30 odd minutes of a rolling song, similar to what FCUM do with Top Of The World (which i think is f*cking quality to be fair).

Swear if United had done it everyone would be raving about it, but instead our dins moan. Personally still think it's worth a shot as it really works as a song.

This was the version we were singing,

Left my home in Aampshire,
Headed from the Weston Bay.
I've got nothing to live for, and got nothing going to come my way.
Ohhhhh
Just sittin' on the dock of the bay,
Watchin' the tide roll away.
Sittin on the dock of the bay, wasting time

(And repeat)
Chapel End next season on 09:43 - Feb 21 with 768 viewsSaintNick

Chapel End next season on 09:06 - Feb 21 by franniesTache

We tried to re-purpose Dock Of The Bay to make a Southampton song (it's a song about f*cking docks ffs, nothing is more Southampton than a song about docks) and we got told it was too negative by some of our dins.

The one time we did get it going was Fulham away in the cup and it sounded class, 30 odd minutes of a rolling song, similar to what FCUM do with Top Of The World (which i think is f*cking quality to be fair).

Swear if United had done it everyone would be raving about it, but instead our dins moan. Personally still think it's worth a shot as it really works as a song.

This was the version we were singing,

Left my home in Aampshire,
Headed from the Weston Bay.
I've got nothing to live for, and got nothing going to come my way.
Ohhhhh
Just sittin' on the dock of the bay,
Watchin' the tide roll away.
Sittin on the dock of the bay, wasting time

(And repeat)

It is a good song but I think it needs to be more specific.

Left my home in Hampshire
Heading for Southampton Way
Ive one team to live for and no one stands in 0ur way
oohhh
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away ( or perhaps watching the skates run away)
Itchen side

Chapel End next season on 10:03 - Feb 21 with 755 viewsfranniesTache

Chapel End next season on 09:43 - Feb 21 by SaintNick

It is a good song but I think it needs to be more specific.

Left my home in Hampshire
Heading for Southampton Way
Ive one team to live for and no one stands in 0ur way
oohhh
Watching the tide roll away ( or perhaps watching the skates run away)
Itchen side

Problem we've found is too many new words means people don't join in, if you keep most of the song at least people know the words and give it a go (at Fulham we had a nipper who couldn't have been more than 10 joining in the whole time).

The other issue we have is the Saints Voice lot think they're "owners" of our support, and they just scowl at you if you don't sing what they want.
Chapel End next season on 10:37 - Feb 21 with 746 viewsBicester_North

Chapel End next season on 21:11 - Feb 20 by grumpy

Did these Hull fans have big yellow macs and Sow’ wester hats on?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 21 with 742 viewsWalkingRosie

Chapel End next season on 16:30 - Feb 20 by franniesTache

We've "written" plenty mush, trouble is no f*cker joins in

I agree - still don't understand why our Jack Stephens chant has not taken off

Glad 'King of the Scummers' has though.

Looking forward to our noddies faces when we start singing old Southampton folk songs

Chapel End next season on 10:51 - Feb 21 with 739 viewsfranniesTache

Chapel End next season on 10:43 - Feb 21 by WalkingRosie

I agree - still don't understand why our Jack Stephens chant has not taken off

Glad 'King of the Scummers' has though.

Looking forward to our noddies faces when we start singing old Southampton folk songs

Still f*cked off the Djenepo/La's one hasn't taken and instead we've got another f*cking song sung to the tune of Seven Nation Army.
Chapel End next season on 10:52 - Feb 21 with 739 viewsWalkingRosie

Chapel End next season on 08:53 - Feb 21 by SaintNick

There is an easy solution to this, there are plenty of none season ticket holder seats in the Itchen, Dirk can form a supporters group liase with the club and mount a campaign for a home end and the Saints fans in the northam to all move to the Itchen.

It might not happen overnight but then again this has been moaned about on this board for years, so an extra couple won't make too much difference.

It is time som accept that logistically giving Saints fans the whole Northam isn't going to happen due there being very few places that they could locate the away fans.

Football grounds should be about people not stands, the fact is we havent got a vocal crowd because we spend so much time on social media moaning that we haven't instead of just getting on with it.

Visit Anfield, yes the atmosphere isn't what it is these days because of the tourists, but the 5 minutes before kick off is not bettered at any other UK ground with the flags on the Kop etc, that was all supporter driven.

Last week the club asked for supporters to fill the gap in the Northam with flags, this was an initiative by some supporters, I think 4 flags were in view.

It seems most are just happy moaning about it than doing it.

The lads in the Itchen North have actually done something about it, Dirk you are vocal on here, the ball is in your court

One of those flags was mine

It looked very lonely

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQq_0alXUAATnTC?format=jpg

Chapel End next season on 10:57 - Feb 21 with 737 viewsWalkingRosie

Chapel End next season on 10:51 - Feb 21 by franniesTache

Still f*cked off the Djenepo/La's one hasn't taken and instead we've got another f*cking song sung to the tune of Seven Nation Army.

The Djenepo/La's is quality. I also like the Scummers went in two by two

As you say though unless our lot see United, City, Villa fans etc singing a song in the concourse on youtube they won't join in.

Chapel End next season on 11:35 - Feb 21 with 729 viewsSaintNick

Chapel End next season on 10:57 - Feb 21 by WalkingRosie

The Djenepo/La's is quality. I also like the Scummers went in two by two

As you say though unless our lot see United, City, Villa fans etc singing a song in the concourse on youtube they won't join in.

I have always thought that the city's official hymn by Isaac Watts "Oh god our help in ages" would make a good song and no one else sings it

Chapel End next season on 11:42 - Feb 21 with 728 viewsTheMoog

Chapel End next season on 11:35 - Feb 21 by SaintNick

I have always thought that the city's official hymn by Isaac Watts "Oh god our help in ages" would make a good song and no one else sings it

Under the shadow of thy throne
Thy Saints have dwelt secure;
Sufficient is thine arm alone,
and our defense is sure.

If only it was.

Standby to standby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024