Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Behind closed doors & streamed? 11:03 - Apr 17 with 21990 viewsjudd

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/all-english-football-league-games-to-res

Poll: What is it to be then?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 09:55 - Apr 21 with 2033 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 08:58 - Apr 21 by judd

That's a shame. We've only recently got rid of a shit load.

Bit harsh on Steve Davies?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:13 - Apr 21 with 1993 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 09:28 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

First up, i don't have a medical background but a healthcare background, an important difference (medicine being primarily the study of, and treatment of disease)

You think it's highly unlikely the government will give the green light to matches being played anytime soon. I'd say it depends on how the return to general employment progresses between now and say, the end of June, beginning with those areas of employment that can easily maintain social distancing but in any case, i think it's highly unlikely the football authorities won't have been taking scientific advice before making pronouncements about playing matches behind closed doors - and that's at a pan-European level, not just in the UK. If there was a major stumbling block, don't you think it'd already have reared it's head in the media? It may have something to do the R-rate falling significantly below 1, and it's already below 1 but possibly needs to continue to fall further before general employment can be resumed without having an impact on rates of admission to hospital, for instance

What would still be unlikely is for mass gatherings to be permitted, with people mixing as freely and closely as they do in stadia

In short, i believe the can't-play-without-testing hypothesis isn't quite as fixed as is being made out on this messageboard. That's not to to say testing of footballers might not happen, just that it almost certainly wouldn't need to be as frequent and extensive as is being mooted before they become booted

Finally, i totally agree there should be no 'bending the rules to accommodate football'. No-one is suggesting that, not least because there's no need to

[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 9:32]

Not kept up to date with opinion on this but do players en masse want to resume the season in the current climate? In addition to TS's comments about the physicality of the game, goal celebrations will be very different (and perhaps more interesting) under lockdown. Will there be a "gobbing ban" on players and yellow/red cards issued for offenders?

In response to RRs post (and to save 2 replies) a fair few have said they wouldn't come back to stadia pre-vaccine. Social distancing on match day? Queueing to get through turnstiles (and not touching them) - washing your hands every time you touch anything? Hmmmmm.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:21 - Apr 21 with 1973 viewsrochdaleriddler

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:13 - Apr 21 by DaleiLama

Not kept up to date with opinion on this but do players en masse want to resume the season in the current climate? In addition to TS's comments about the physicality of the game, goal celebrations will be very different (and perhaps more interesting) under lockdown. Will there be a "gobbing ban" on players and yellow/red cards issued for offenders?

In response to RRs post (and to save 2 replies) a fair few have said they wouldn't come back to stadia pre-vaccine. Social distancing on match day? Queueing to get through turnstiles (and not touching them) - washing your hands every time you touch anything? Hmmmmm.

I was making the point that at grounds that are usually 2/3 empty on match days it would be possible to safely social distance, more safe than being on a 2/3 filled plane I’m sure! . If it was just season ticket holders , there wouldn’t be much in the way of queuing, and aren’t we already doing that going to shops? . I’m not advocating doing this now btw, but when restrictions are lifted

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:59 - Apr 21 with 1926 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:21 - Apr 21 by rochdaleriddler

I was making the point that at grounds that are usually 2/3 empty on match days it would be possible to safely social distance, more safe than being on a 2/3 filled plane I’m sure! . If it was just season ticket holders , there wouldn’t be much in the way of queuing, and aren’t we already doing that going to shops? . I’m not advocating doing this now btw, but when restrictions are lifted

Yep, I get where you are coming from on the "spacing" issue, and I am certainly in no rush to get on a plane anytime soon, but I have reservations on how "human behaviour" would factor into this. People will still drink, there'll still be social mixing and opportunities to spread the virus aplenty. I think a lot of people would be put off at least early on. Atmosphere in shops is different to stadia too, but I also take your point. One is certainly more necessary than the other. Also, the club wouldn't really benefit from this financially other than to "fulfil the ST terms of putting 23 games on" - be interesting to see what they thought about it.

I can certainly see many plusses and negatives on both sides of the argument.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:20 - Apr 21 with 1895 viewsD_Alien

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 10:59 - Apr 21 by DaleiLama

Yep, I get where you are coming from on the "spacing" issue, and I am certainly in no rush to get on a plane anytime soon, but I have reservations on how "human behaviour" would factor into this. People will still drink, there'll still be social mixing and opportunities to spread the virus aplenty. I think a lot of people would be put off at least early on. Atmosphere in shops is different to stadia too, but I also take your point. One is certainly more necessary than the other. Also, the club wouldn't really benefit from this financially other than to "fulfil the ST terms of putting 23 games on" - be interesting to see what they thought about it.

I can certainly see many plusses and negatives on both sides of the argument.

People are bound to be wary as each stage of the lockdown is lifted

Just a thought, but it'd be fair to assume that the first time you go into a pub during anything like a normally busy time (e.g. Friday evening / weekends) there will be at least one person carrying the virus, or who recently left before you entered and left the virus on a surface, just as they might during the usual flu season. For that reason alone, those currently considered "high risk" and self-isolating may have to be much more careful than most, and for a much longer period

For the majority, the benefits of getting back into some kind of social normality will outweigh the risks. I'll be back in the pub as soon as they're open and the same applies to the COA, but everyone will have to make their own decisions based on all sorts of different factors, and all those decisions should be respected. It may be that some footballers choose not to play once games are back on - in fact, the decision they'll have to make will come much earlier, when the time comes to go back to training with their teammates. I sincerely hope they do stop gobbing all over the place, and curtail their ridiculous and potentially injury-inducing celebrations. So much the better, it'll have been a long-needed adjustment to their behaviour
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 11:22]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:30 - Apr 21 with 1878 viewsscooby

so, the leagues are already in discussions with a tech provider on an app that tracks covid-19 testing. the testing (at present) is paid for privately hence not taking anything away from the front liners. i believe some of the players (ours) are already being tested (have or in the queue) and the aim is to restart training soon, games to be behind closed doors.

the challenge is that the testing needs to be taken at least every 3 weeks and monitored closely (which is what the app provides). It all comes down to:
1 - will the leagues take on the app?
2 - three weekly testing. once you have that, closed door football can start.

then we all look forward to the horrid quality of a single camera in a stand that is a premium provision by iFollow.
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:34 - Apr 21 with 1863 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:20 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

Just a thought, but it'd be fair to assume that the first time you go into a pub during anything like a normally busy time (e.g. Friday evening / weekends) there will be at least one person carrying the virus, or who recently left before you entered and left the virus on a surface, just as they might during the usual flu season. For that reason alone, those currently considered "high risk" and self-isolating may have to be much more careful than most, and for a much longer period

For the majority, the benefits of getting back into some kind of social normality will outweigh the risks. I'll be back in the pub as soon as they're open and the same applies to the COA, but everyone will have to make their own decisions based on all sorts of different factors, and all those decisions should be respected. It may be that some footballers choose not to play once games are back on - in fact, the decision they'll have to make will come much earlier, when the time comes to go back to training with their teammates. I sincerely hope they do stop gobbing all over the place, and curtail their ridiculous and potentially injury-inducing celebrations. So much the better, it'll have been a long-needed adjustment to their behaviour

Good point about the pub - we stopped for a couple of scoops on the Sunday evening on our way home before Lockdown was mandated on the Monday and I did think immediately afterwards that it was probably an unnecessary risk (the beer was really good and of course has become even better in my memory, as they were the last draft ones drunk since). St. Austell Proper Job and Leffe Blond have been keeping my neck oiled since.

I'm sure lots of other countries partially coming out of Lockdown will be very closely monitored by many to assess potential risks here later down the line. This will certainly inform my behaviour.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:39 - Apr 21 with 1853 viewsrochdaleriddler

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:20 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

As I’m in a high risk group, fat, 59 , insulin dependant , and high blood pressure! I’m not in a great rush to expose myself to unnecessary risk, but if done properly some people could attend matches, be preferable to playing in empty stadia, people would have to make their own minds up. I am certain that this ‘lockdown’ won’t be left in its current state in 3 weeks time, people will go mad. It’s ok for me because aside from Footy, restaurants and the pub, my life is pretty similar to before. Gardening, dog walking and reading.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:42 - Apr 21 with 1835 viewsrochdaleriddler

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:34 - Apr 21 by DaleiLama

Good point about the pub - we stopped for a couple of scoops on the Sunday evening on our way home before Lockdown was mandated on the Monday and I did think immediately afterwards that it was probably an unnecessary risk (the beer was really good and of course has become even better in my memory, as they were the last draft ones drunk since). St. Austell Proper Job and Leffe Blond have been keeping my neck oiled since.

I'm sure lots of other countries partially coming out of Lockdown will be very closely monitored by many to assess potential risks here later down the line. This will certainly inform my behaviour.

I had some proper job and some other 6% pale ale on Saturday night . Very palatable

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:17 - Apr 21 with 1803 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:42 - Apr 21 by rochdaleriddler

I had some proper job and some other 6% pale ale on Saturday night . Very palatable

Nice.

Last time I stayed over in a hotel down in Cornwall I ordered a Proper Job but the owner had run out so he subbed me one of his Big Jobs @ 7.2%, at no extra cost. Wow. Don't see it that often though but you can tell you've had one of those.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:28 - Apr 21 with 1785 viewsD_Alien

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:42 - Apr 21 by rochdaleriddler

It's not the real thing unless delivered via a hand pump

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:44 - Apr 21 with 1758 viewsrochdaleriddler

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:17 - Apr 21 by DaleiLama

Nice.

Last time I stayed over in a hotel down in Cornwall I ordered a Proper Job but the owner had run out so he subbed me one of his Big Jobs @ 7.2%, at no extra cost. Wow. Don't see it that often though but you can tell you've had one of those.

Not sure I’ve had the Big job, I’ll look out for it when I’m next there. I did go to Sharpe’s brewery when I was in Rock, and they make some interesting stronger ales, (not bloody doom bar)and they give you samples of dark chocolate to try with them. I’ve had to cancel my annual trip to porthleven and St ives next month, totally fed up! Mind I am toying with the idea of Anne’s pasties by post and a few Cornish Rattlers whilst dunking my feet in a bucket of cold water to recreate the experience.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:45 - Apr 21 with 1755 viewsrochdaleriddler

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:28 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

It's not the real thing unless delivered via a hand pump

True , but bottles are superior to tinnies

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:06 - Apr 21 with 1725 viewsD_Alien

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:45 - Apr 21 by rochdaleriddler

True , but bottles are superior to tinnies

True, although i was making a lewd reference to your Proper Job

Assume it was behind closed doors but not streamed

[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 13:07]

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:09 - Apr 21 with 1713 viewsNorthernDale

I read that a number of clubs in league 1 and 2 are suggesting ending the season now and working league standings and according to an article,I read it stated

"One suggestion is that the tables for League One and Two be decided on points per game, with a play-off tournament for those in third to sixth position (or fourth to seventh in League Two) to settle the final promotion place.”

Apparently Peterborough and Sunderland are opposed, this may be due to them potentially missing out, but Accrington seem in favour. I may be in favour if we would survive and Bolton and Southend went down.
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:52 - Apr 21 with 1663 viewsShun

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:09 - Apr 21 by NorthernDale

I read that a number of clubs in league 1 and 2 are suggesting ending the season now and working league standings and according to an article,I read it stated

"One suggestion is that the tables for League One and Two be decided on points per game, with a play-off tournament for those in third to sixth position (or fourth to seventh in League Two) to settle the final promotion place.”

Apparently Peterborough and Sunderland are opposed, this may be due to them potentially missing out, but Accrington seem in favour. I may be in favour if we would survive and Bolton and Southend went down.

I’d be in favour of that, or the season continuing behind closed doors. The worst outcome, in my eyes, would be to just write off this season altogether and expunge all results. Imagine how gutted Henderson would feel, for instance, having 15 or so goals wiped off his tally.
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:55 - Apr 21 with 1662 viewsDaleiLama

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:44 - Apr 21 by rochdaleriddler

Not sure I’ve had the Big job, I’ll look out for it when I’m next there. I did go to Sharpe’s brewery when I was in Rock, and they make some interesting stronger ales, (not bloody doom bar)and they give you samples of dark chocolate to try with them. I’ve had to cancel my annual trip to porthleven and St ives next month, totally fed up! Mind I am toying with the idea of Anne’s pasties by post and a few Cornish Rattlers whilst dunking my feet in a bucket of cold water to recreate the experience.

Double IPA. Very tatsy. Only ever seen it in bottles but could be available in draught. Agree with DA, hand-pulled is better than top pressure! [ wink ]

Doom Bar would make me give up beer. 'Orrible beer.

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 14:29 - Apr 21 with 1619 viewsJames1980

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:55 - Apr 21 by DaleiLama

Double IPA. Very tatsy. Only ever seen it in bottles but could be available in draught. Agree with DA, hand-pulled is better than top pressure! [ wink ]

I saw a pub in London proudly advertise, We always have Doom Bar on draught. I walked straight pass.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 14:30 - Apr 21 with 1619 viewsrochdaleriddler

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:55 - Apr 21 by DaleiLama

I’ll look out for it, yes doom bar is crap

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 15:54 - Apr 21 with 1561 viewsD_Dale

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 13:09 - Apr 21 by NorthernDale

I'm inclined to take this as the most likely outcome to what is a highly contorted problem.

First, a government that's coming in for 'too little, too late' criticisms of its response to the onset of the virus is not likely to relax restrictions in the next few weeks. At least not for sporting occasions. Allowing fans to attend - thus risking the transmission of the virus not only to other fans but also, after matches, to others - would flatly contradict the government's 'stay safe and stay at home' mantra.

Second, the 'empty stadia' position (ironically an echo of excluding fans as a punishment). There's a risk that fans might congregate outside the grounds (cf ticketless Madrid fans at Anfield). But if they stayed at home how many would pay to watch online (and would season ticket holders have to pay)? It's possible that the cost of staging matches would be more than the revenue generated.

And, even if the government allowed it, there's not much time to arrange all the matches (the season was due to end a week next Sunday, 3 May, most clubs have 8/9 matches unplayed - more if there were to be play-offs).

Third, there's been almost nothing about the players' point of view. Are they even training (in a way that involves not coming within six feet of each other!) Would they be happy - especially if expecting to soon move to other clubs - to play, for the first time since early March, a spate of matches?

On the other hand, in just an hour or two a statistician could produce final tables based on the matches already played (and, yes, to declare an interest, that would see Dale safe for another season).

Coronavirus is a once in a lifetime phenomenon that has led to drastic changes. Professional football is only one aspect of our lives to have changed (and not for most of us the greatest one). Let the 2019-20 season enter the record books as it now stands, and let us look forward to there being a 2020-21 season.
Behind closed doors & streamed? on 16:51 - Apr 21 with 1520 viewsBartRowou

I can see a number of clubs opting for administration. They've got the perfect excuse to hide behind (i.e. a global crisis as opposed to financial mismanagement) and if a number of them do it, the repercussions will be less far-reaching than, for example, what happened to Bolton this season.
Caveat: I know nothing about financial goings-on so I might be way off the mark.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 08:15 - Apr 22 with 1427 viewsrochdaleriddler

Netherlands has said no professional football will take place before 1st September

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:52 - Apr 25 with 1313 viewsD_Alien

Talks announced as first step in planning a resumption

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52423767

Incidentally, the issue about getting our pitch sorted (either the full works as planned, or more likely a lesser version due to costs) should be revisited by the club. The previous points made about "who would do it during lockdown" can now easily be countered by "have you seen the amount of building sites and road works underway?" Pitch repairs are no different from either of those two, and its at least as feasible to maintain social distancing

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:14 - Apr 25 with 1291 viewsJames1980

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 11:52 - Apr 25 by D_Alien

Talks announced as first step in planning a resumption

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52423767

Incidentally, the issue about getting our pitch sorted (either the full works as planned, or more likely a lesser version due to costs) should be revisited by the club. The previous points made about "who would do it during lockdown" can now easily be countered by "have you seen the amount of building sites and road works underway?" Pitch repairs are no different from either of those two, and its at least as feasible to maintain social distancing

If it is going to be BCD and streamed could we not just do the pitch and play the games elsewhere?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:23 - Apr 25 with 1282 viewsD_Alien

Behind closed doors & streamed? on 12:14 - Apr 25 by James1980

If it is going to be BCD and streamed could we not just do the pitch and play the games elsewhere?

There would be time for a typical close season repair before games resumed, if the club got its skates on

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024