Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Missing football? 23:28 - Apr 19 with 4279 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I've said I'm not missing football, but what I actually think is that I'm not missing modern premier league football.

I've now watched a couple of the Match of the Day specials with Linekar, Shearer and Wright in their houses talking about top 10s. They talk a LOT about 90s players, football and events. I miss 90s football, for me it was the last of proper football.

Any thoughts?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Missing football? on 06:35 - Apr 20 with 3498 viewskernow

No, not missing football at all.
Missing football? (n/t) on 07:23 - Apr 20 with 3476 viewsDellHero

[Post edited 9 May 2020 20:11]
Missing football? on 07:57 - Apr 20 with 3446 viewsbigrob68

I wish they would refund my season ticket and call it a day.

Poll: season ticket holders

Missing football? on 08:01 - Apr 20 with 3442 viewssaint22

Missing football? (n/t) on 07:23 - Apr 20 by DellHero

If you are looking for some great lockdown reading try this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Night-Turin-Changed-Footballing-ebook/dp/B00KS6WNQU

I can’t abide nostalgic sporting stories usually but this is very insightful and well written
Missing football? on 08:09 - Apr 20 with 3429 viewsPatfromPoole

I quite enjoyed the repeat of Saints v Inter last week.

I don’t miss being miserable on a Saturday night and Sunday when we’ve lost. The thing I miss most is on a Friday and Saturday morning when you’re looking forward to meeting up with your mates on the train and in the pub before the game.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Missing football? on 08:44 - Apr 20 with 3404 viewsthis_charming_man

Missing football? on 08:01 - Apr 20 by saint22

If you are looking for some great lockdown reading try this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Night-Turin-Changed-Footballing-ebook/dp/B00KS6WNQU

I can’t abide nostalgic sporting stories usually but this is very insightful and well written

this is a great read too. An English journalist goes to every Verona game home and away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-Verona-Tim-Parks/dp/0099422670

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Missing football? (n/t) on 08:50 - Apr 20 with 3394 viewsDellHero

Missing football? on 08:44 - Apr 20 by this_charming_man

this is a great read too. An English journalist goes to every Verona game home and away.

Missing football? on 08:58 - Apr 20 with 3382 viewssaint22

Missing football? (n/t) on 08:50 - Apr 20 by DellHero

No sweat

if you are a runner this is very good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Footnotes-How-Running-Makes-Human/dp/0091960207/ref=tmm

and given our times and needs now so is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nature-Cure-Richard-Mabey-ebook/dp/B00667J2CI/ref=sr_1_
Login to get fewer ads

Missing football? on 09:11 - Apr 20 with 3366 viewsSaintNick

I agree with most of what has been said so far on this thread, I have come to the conclusion over the past few years that I am no longer a football fan, I just support Saints.

Years ago I could name all the players from the other teams, all the cup finals etc, now i can barely name 5 players in any other premier league squad if put on the spot.

I have an interest in some teams, but aside from them I don't really follow football anymore if it doesn't involve Saints

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Missing football? on 10:20 - Apr 20 with 3328 viewsHeisenberg

The Miracle of Castel di Sangrel is a great football read. Quite old now but still very apt.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Missing football? on 10:36 - Apr 20 with 3322 viewsdirk_doone

Missing football? on 08:44 - Apr 20 by this_charming_man

Yes, I agree. It's s good read.

Quiz question:

Which player did Saints buy from Verona?

With regard to the OP and which decades of football you enjoyed the most, a lot depends on your age. Memories of most things that happened when you were in your teens and twenties tend to seem more exciting than what happens when you are middle-aged.

For me, the late 60s, 70s and early 80s were great but then came Heysel and the 90s were a pretty dismal decade, when football crowds all over the country plummeted, Saints were restricted by the Dell's smallest capacity ever and went from being one of the best teams in the country in the early 80s to an almost perpetual relegation struggle in the 90s.

Also, a lot of the noise and passion from the days of terracing disappeared with the all-seater stadiums. We still have the all-seaters but the crowds are much bigger now and the quality of football is better.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:38]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Missing football? on 10:48 - Apr 20 with 3303 viewsthis_charming_man

Missing football? on 10:36 - Apr 20 by dirk_doone

Yes, I agree. It's s good read.

Quiz question:

Which player did Saints buy from Verona?

With regard to the OP and which decades of football you enjoyed the most, a lot depends on your age. Memories of most things that happened when you were in your teens and twenties tend to seem more exciting than what happens when you are middle-aged.

For me, the late 60s, 70s and early 80s were great but then came Heysel and the 90s were a pretty dismal decade, when football crowds all over the country plummeted, Saints were restricted by the Dell's smallest capacity ever and went from being one of the best teams in the country in the early 80s to an almost perpetual relegation struggle in the 90s.

Also, a lot of the noise and passion from the days of terracing disappeared with the all-seater stadiums. We still have the all-seaters but the crowds are much bigger now and the quality of football is better.

[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:38]

Joe Jordan, £50k i think

I like that book as one saints fans can relate to. Verona are pretty much the Italian version of saints. Similar sized club and city, a couple of great periods in their history but that season was one of battling relegation. Plus being a relatively small club it was interesting to see the characters he met over the season, much like being a saints fan really, it's not just about following a winning team who take thousands of fans everywhere.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:51]

Missing football? on 10:50 - Apr 20 with 3302 viewsdirk_doone

Missing football? on 10:48 - Apr 20 by this_charming_man

Joe Jordan, £50k i think

I like that book as one saints fans can relate to. Verona are pretty much the Italian version of saints. Similar sized club and city, a couple of great periods in their history but that season was one of battling relegation. Plus being a relatively small club it was interesting to see the characters he met over the season, much like being a saints fan really, it's not just about following a winning team who take thousands of fans everywhere.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:51]

Yes, but McMenemy paid three times that amount for him, which was a big transfer fee in those days.

We paid even more when we bought Paul Rideout from Bari a few years later.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:52]

Missing football? on 10:55 - Apr 20 with 3285 viewsthis_charming_man

Missing football? on 10:50 - Apr 20 by dirk_doone

Yes, but McMenemy paid three times that amount for him, which was a big transfer fee in those days.

We paid even more when we bought Paul Rideout from Bari a few years later.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:52]

i was very young when he signed, one of my earliest football memories of him playing for us with blood all down the middle of his red and white shirt. I remember it clearly because my dad hated him what with him being an ex Leeds and Man United player, but of course within a few games of playing for us he was a great striker. In an "one Jerry Edwards" type way.

Rideout was a good player although not a great goalscorer, if i remember rightly Gordon Cowans was also at Bari and we tried to sign him too but he chose to go elsewhere.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:57]

Missing football? on 11:00 - Apr 20 with 3278 viewsPatfromPoole

I would heavily recommend the second series of “Sunderland Till I Die” on Netflix. Superb.

Am going to try to watch the first series this week.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Missing football? on 11:36 - Apr 20 with 3260 viewsdirk_doone

Missing football? on 10:55 - Apr 20 by this_charming_man

i was very young when he signed, one of my earliest football memories of him playing for us with blood all down the middle of his red and white shirt. I remember it clearly because my dad hated him what with him being an ex Leeds and Man United player, but of course within a few games of playing for us he was a great striker. In an "one Jerry Edwards" type way.

Rideout was a good player although not a great goalscorer, if i remember rightly Gordon Cowans was also at Bari and we tried to sign him too but he chose to go elsewhere.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 10:57]

When I lived abroad, I used to fly back most summers for family visits, and catch Saints' first game of the season, and one of the most memorable was Paul Rideout's debut: a 4-0 win v West Ham, in which he scored 2 of the goals. I thought, wow, we've signed some player here, and, with Danny & Rodney Wallace, Rideout and Le Tissier up front, Saints were on fire and top of the league for a few weeks. But, you're right, he wasn't really a prolific goal scorer after that.

Missing football? on 11:42 - Apr 20 with 3254 viewskingslandstand1

Missing football? on 09:11 - Apr 20 by SaintNick

I agree with most of what has been said so far on this thread, I have come to the conclusion over the past few years that I am no longer a football fan, I just support Saints.

Years ago I could name all the players from the other teams, all the cup finals etc, now i can barely name 5 players in any other premier league squad if put on the spot.

I have an interest in some teams, but aside from them I don't really follow football anymore if it doesn't involve Saints

I'm with that. I'm choosy with what games I watch on tv as well.
MOTD was a must wait up and see from start to finish, i tend now to record so that I can fast forward to the Saints game depending on result of course. Also for the live games I can be choosy depending on mood and how well Saints are generally doing with the hope that we may get some good press
Missing football? on 12:07 - Apr 20 with 3239 viewsdirk_doone

My last Saints' game was our last game v Newcastle and although we lost, I enjoyed it. I still like to see exciting new players, like Saint-Maximin, even when they are playing for the opposition so I guess I am still a football fan as well as a Saints fan. I don't subscribe to Sky Sports as I'm not a big TV fan but when Amazon Prime showed a few live games this season, I really enjoyed them.

The last England game at St Mary's - the 5-3 win v Kosovo - was great. I also go to England games at Wembley and was looking forward to Euro 2020.....

So, I've not given up on football yet.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 12:10]

Missing football? on 12:15 - Apr 20 with 3225 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Football started to go down hill with all the violence, and then the over reaction to Hillsborough. Full stadium seating killed a lot of the atmosphere off, and then came the corporisation of the 'working class' game.

If you had told fans that 20 years later footballers would be earning 300,000 per week, lots of players were complete helmuts, fans would be ejected for calling players nonces or swearing too much, and a lot of stadiums would be filled with fans just sitting there in silence, and paying £60 - £80 or more for the opportunity, not many fans would have believed you.

The opportunity to stand where you want, with all of your buddies, and then booger off somewhere different in the second half was absolutely superb. You could clear off from the knob having a continual go at your half decent 'left back', and so could everybody else leaving lots of moaners at the stadium standing in a semi empty vacuum. It was actually self-policing.

Safe seating is used in so many countries in Europe, it's about time they legalised it in the country that spawned the game.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Missing football? on 13:22 - Apr 20 with 3180 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Missing football? on 09:11 - Apr 20 by SaintNick

I agree with this. If I watch a football match, it's Saints - or one of the early rounds in the FA Cup on the BBC.

But generally, I have zero interest in watching other teams. I've said this before, but the people at work who go on and on and on about the "big clubs" and "big players", have never actually kicked a ball in their lives. It's like they're living it out through watching these overpaid cretins on TV.

But ... as I said, I did enjoy watching Shearer, Wright and Linekar on the MoTD Podcast specials talking about 90s football, in the last decent era in my opinion.

Missing football? on 13:33 - Apr 20 with 3170 viewsVagina_Dentata

Missing football? on 13:22 - Apr 20 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I agree with this. If I watch a football match, it's Saints - or one of the early rounds in the FA Cup on the BBC.

But generally, I have zero interest in watching other teams. I've said this before, but the people at work who go on and on and on about the "big clubs" and "big players", have never actually kicked a ball in their lives. It's like they're living it out through watching these overpaid cretins on TV.

But ... as I said, I did enjoy watching Shearer, Wright and Linekar on the MoTD Podcast specials talking about 90s football, in the last decent era in my opinion.

The 90s was my era too, although I think I’m a bit younger than you so mine is for different reasons.
I was at primary school and we didn’t have sky. Seeing a Saints game on tv was something special. Of course, we also the greatest player to ever grace the game. Even though we were a smaller club, we had so many saints fans at school.

There’s too much football all the time now. Fifa and non stop football channels. It’s overkill. There are barely any Saints fan in the school I teach in.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Missing football? on 13:57 - Apr 20 with 3142 viewskingslandstand1

Missing football? on 12:15 - Apr 20 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Football started to go down hill with all the violence, and then the over reaction to Hillsborough. Full stadium seating killed a lot of the atmosphere off, and then came the corporisation of the 'working class' game.

If you had told fans that 20 years later footballers would be earning 300,000 per week, lots of players were complete helmuts, fans would be ejected for calling players nonces or swearing too much, and a lot of stadiums would be filled with fans just sitting there in silence, and paying £60 - £80 or more for the opportunity, not many fans would have believed you.

The opportunity to stand where you want, with all of your buddies, and then booger off somewhere different in the second half was absolutely superb. You could clear off from the knob having a continual go at your half decent 'left back', and so could everybody else leaving lots of moaners at the stadium standing in a semi empty vacuum. It was actually self-policing.

Safe seating is used in so many countries in Europe, it's about time they legalised it in the country that spawned the game.

Also don't forget that you could turn up at the ground (not stadium) at 5 to 3 and get in and see the whole game in come sort of comfort rather than have to get there an hour before ko
Missing football? on 13:59 - Apr 20 with 3139 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Missing football? on 13:33 - Apr 20 by Vagina_Dentata

The 90s was my era too, although I think I’m a bit younger than you so mine is for different reasons.
I was at primary school and we didn’t have sky. Seeing a Saints game on tv was something special. Of course, we also the greatest player to ever grace the game. Even though we were a smaller club, we had so many saints fans at school.

There’s too much football all the time now. Fifa and non stop football channels. It’s overkill. There are barely any Saints fan in the school I teach in.

Do you teach 'down South'? If so, that's really sad - that's the other thing I think the clubs have messed up is the junior Saints stuff. In the 80s I remember it being about winning tickets, getting priority tickets (although obviously the Dell was limited in capacity anyway) and maybe winning the chance of being a mascot. I'm not sure they do that!?

I signed my son up to it a couple of years ago and he got a window sticker and birthday card. The card was a decent touch, but it all feels so disconnected and over-marketed, just as you say, it's overkill with the amount on TV. All hype.

St Marys is a weird one too which has changed things, I like the area and the walk to the ground, inner city, feels like a city club, but I hate the inside of the ground - I know the Dell was a wreck and Saints would've gone out of business (potentially), but we ALL miss it and loyal greats like Le Tissier.

I didn't actually mind Liverpool in the 80s either, Rush, Dalgliesh, Hansen, Aldridge etc - maybe I was younger but I don't remember them being irritating!? Mind you, again, they weren't on TV all the time talking absolute crap.

Missing football? on 14:04 - Apr 20 with 3133 viewsdirk_doone

Missing football? on 13:57 - Apr 20 by kingslandstand1

Also don't forget that you could turn up at the ground (not stadium) at 5 to 3 and get in and see the whole game in come sort of comfort rather than have to get there an hour before ko

I remember in the late 60s/early 70s, you had to start queueing at least 2 hours before kick-off if you wanted to get into the big games, like Chelsea and Man United. I still got locked out of one. You needed to start queueing 3 hours before kick-off if you wanted to get into that one. I managed to squeeze in for the final 10 minutes when they opened the gates.

Missing football? on 14:21 - Apr 20 with 3116 viewsVagina_Dentata

Missing football? on 13:59 - Apr 20 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Do you teach 'down South'? If so, that's really sad - that's the other thing I think the clubs have messed up is the junior Saints stuff. In the 80s I remember it being about winning tickets, getting priority tickets (although obviously the Dell was limited in capacity anyway) and maybe winning the chance of being a mascot. I'm not sure they do that!?

I signed my son up to it a couple of years ago and he got a window sticker and birthday card. The card was a decent touch, but it all feels so disconnected and over-marketed, just as you say, it's overkill with the amount on TV. All hype.

St Marys is a weird one too which has changed things, I like the area and the walk to the ground, inner city, feels like a city club, but I hate the inside of the ground - I know the Dell was a wreck and Saints would've gone out of business (potentially), but we ALL miss it and loyal greats like Le Tissier.

I didn't actually mind Liverpool in the 80s either, Rush, Dalgliesh, Hansen, Aldridge etc - maybe I was younger but I don't remember them being irritating!? Mind you, again, they weren't on TV all the time talking absolute crap.

Yep, down south. Most of the Saints supporting kids also have a second team: Barcelona, Liverpool etc. Unthinkable. I let them know how disgraceful I find it.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024