Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s 21:20 - Apr 25 with 2731 viewsBicester_North

It’s never been as fun as the Dell, but what are your top 3?

First that spring to mind for me are

Championship Promotion match v Coventry
2-0 v Pompey Carling Cup 2003
3-2 v Liverpool (Koeman celebration) a few years back

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:26 - Apr 25 with 2084 viewsPatfromPoole

1. Beating Skates 2-1 in the FA Cup
2. Beating Inter 2-1
3. Beating Arsenal 3-2 when Delgado scored; Arsenal were superb and it was a truly brilliant game.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:33 - Apr 25 with 2077 viewsgrumpy

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:33 - Apr 25 with 2075 viewsVagina_Dentata

Inter and the two promotions.

Nearly moments: Camara’s winner against Norwich; the Liverpool comeback; beating shef Utd to stay up; Guly scoring against Blackpool in the cup.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:35 - Apr 25 with 2075 viewsgrumpy

Ricky Lamberts goal against Pompey.

[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 21:45]
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:35 - Apr 25 with 2074 viewsBicester_North

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:26 - Apr 25 by PatfromPoole

1. Beating Skates 2-1 in the FA Cup
2. Beating Inter 2-1
3. Beating Arsenal 3-2 when Delgado scored; Arsenal were superb and it was a truly brilliant game.

That Arsenal match was fantastic

Another was the 4-0 cup win v Spurs when Hoddle was their manager. One of the best atmospheres we’ve ever had at the ground

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:36 - Apr 25 with 2074 viewsdirk_doone

2017 League Cup Semi-final 1st leg: Southampton v Liverpool 1-0

2016 UEFA Europa League Southampton v Inter Milan 2-1

2016 Premier League: Southampton v Manchester City 4-2

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:38 - Apr 25 with 2060 viewsBicester_North

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:36 - Apr 25 by dirk_doone

2017 League Cup Semi-final 1st leg: Southampton v Liverpool 1-0

2016 UEFA Europa League Southampton v Inter Milan 2-1

2016 Premier League: Southampton v Manchester City 4-2

The Liverpool home leg was great but annoying it didn’t sell out and dwarfed by the away leg being one of the best ever Saints supporting moments

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:41 - Apr 25 with 2060 viewsgrumpy

Login to get fewer ads

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:48 - Apr 25 with 2049 viewsdirk_doone

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:38 - Apr 25 by Bicester_North

The Liverpool home leg was great but annoying it didn’t sell out and dwarfed by the away leg being one of the best ever Saints supporting moments

It did sell out though:

Attendance: 31,480

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38504049

The 2nd leg semi-final victory v Leeds at the Dell seemed more satisfying because it was the 2nd leg and we knew we were going to Wembley but a 1st leg semi-final victory is the best we've seen at St Mary's. Of course, if it had been the 2nd leg, it would have been even better.

I just think that period around 2016 witnessed the pinnacle of Saints' performances at St Mary's so far. That's just my personal experience but, I was working abroad up until 2013 so I can't really judge those earlier years, as I usually only came back for 1 or 2 games each year. So those are my top 3.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:05]

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:50 - Apr 25 with 2045 viewsgreen

As mentioned above Lambert’s equaliser against the Skates is often overlooked because we lost that cup game but was a great moment. We battered them first half but a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping from James prevented us from taking the lead. We levelled then they brought on a sub that they got on loan to get around their transfer ban and probably never paid for that helped them get back in front then as we chased the game at the end they got two more. Shame because to beat them as a L1 side would have been great. Still you can’t complain too much about our fortunes since then.
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:13 - Apr 25 with 1980 viewsBicester_North

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:48 - Apr 25 by dirk_doone

It did sell out though:

Attendance: 31,480

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38504049

The 2nd leg semi-final victory v Leeds at the Dell seemed more satisfying because it was the 2nd leg and we knew we were going to Wembley but a 1st leg semi-final victory is the best we've seen at St Mary's. Of course, if it had been the 2nd leg, it would have been even better.

I just think that period around 2016 witnessed the pinnacle of Saints' performances at St Mary's so far. That's just my personal experience but, I was working abroad up until 2013 so I can't really judge those earlier years, as I usually only came back for 1 or 2 games each year. So those are my top 3.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:05]

I must be going mad, seem to remember seeing empty seats that night and thinking why would anyone miss a semi final

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:43 - Apr 25 with 1959 viewsBuggalugs

Can’t argue with any of those already mentioned, but I’d also like to throw in the Sunderland 8-0, the even more enjoyable 6-1 against Villa and the 3-0 v Vitesse Arnhem. All were just fantastic days out, beautiful weather and a Saints side that could destroy anyone.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 23:44]

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:48 - Apr 25 with 1951 viewscocklebreath

I’ve had loads of great moments at st Mary’s.

Norwich 4-3 the roar
Pompey in the league cup, electric
First win v Charlton
Sheff Utd 3-2 staying up
Norwich semi final of JPT
Liverpool semi final league cup
Inter Milan

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:51 - Apr 25 with 1952 viewsWints76

The 2-0 win against Wolves in the 2003 cup run is always overlooked, but the atmosphere that day was a credit to us. Wolves had a big following and thought they could take the piss but found out otherwise.

The celebrations for Marsden's 'overhead kick' were amongst the best to date at the stadium.
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:55 - Apr 25 with 1944 viewsthis_charming_man

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:51 - Apr 25 by Wints76

The 2-0 win against Wolves in the 2003 cup run is always overlooked, but the atmosphere that day was a credit to us. Wolves had a big following and thought they could take the piss but found out otherwise.

The celebrations for Marsden's 'overhead kick' were amongst the best to date at the stadium.

A bad day on and off the pitch for wolves. Got a hiding in town then popped into the elephant and castle on the way back to the m27, acted up and were dispatched by the locals in there.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:58 - Apr 25 with 1945 viewsBicester_North

Good shout
Look how animated the Chapel got back then

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 10:25 - Apr 26 with 1784 viewsPatfromPoole

Yes, I remember after that Wolves game that Strachan said our fans were “good”.

Praise was always very hard to get from him for our support, so I did think that was quite a moment.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 13:01 - Apr 26 with 1735 viewskingslandstand1

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:58 - Apr 25 by Bicester_North

Good shout
Look how animated the Chapel got back then

"one match away from the final in Cardiff"
And how fantastic that and the "following" day at Cardiff was also
The semi-final at Villa Park was very emotional as well and I remember standing in the stands (we had pretty decent seats) at the final whistle and just saying to myself, "we're going to an FA Cup Final!" It just didn't seem right
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 13:04 - Apr 26 with 1733 viewskingslandstand1

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:50 - Apr 25 by green

As mentioned above Lambert’s equaliser against the Skates is often overlooked because we lost that cup game but was a great moment. We battered them first half but a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping from James prevented us from taking the lead. We levelled then they brought on a sub that they got on loan to get around their transfer ban and probably never paid for that helped them get back in front then as we chased the game at the end they got two more. Shame because to beat them as a L1 side would have been great. Still you can’t complain too much about our fortunes since then.

The scoreline did flatter them, especially with the 2 late goals, but at the end of the day, they were 2 divs above us so they deserved their day in the sunshine - let's face it, can't see that happening for a long while yet
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 20:52 - Apr 26 with 1620 viewsericofarabia

Living overseas until recently has limited my visits to SMS to a couple per season at most, so not much to choose from!!

1/ The 1st ever Premier League game at SMS v Chelsea. Although we lost, the sheer drama of seeing the ground for the 1st time and trying to comprehend that the crowd was double anything we'd had at home for god know's how long was quite something. As much as I loved The Dell, we needed to move, shame we couldn't bring the atmosphere and soul with us!
2/ 4-0 against Newcastle. Some breathtaking football blew Newcastle apart. Remember The True Geordie having one of his meltdown videos but very complimentary about us. I think we went 2 up early doors leading to him saying we went in hard and dry, no lubing up!!
3/ Wolves last season, 3-1 sat in Corporate, which was a leaving gift from my work crew in Dubai, so was quite poignant. Once again a thrilling display of attacking football and cracking atmosphere.
Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:07 - Apr 26 with 1614 viewsHappy_Jack

Surprised nobody has flagged up the Walsall game in 2011. That was our first promotion in 33 years and we were on our way back. Having said that Plymouth away was probably better tbf.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:16 - Apr 26 with 1609 viewsthis_charming_man

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:07 - Apr 26 by Happy_Jack

Surprised nobody has flagged up the Walsall game in 2011. That was our first promotion in 33 years and we were on our way back. Having said that Plymouth away was probably better tbf.

It was ruined for me toe curling “you are staying up” singing at the walsall fans
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 22:19]

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:33 - Apr 26 with 1597 viewsdirk_doone

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 20:52 - Apr 26 by ericofarabia

Living overseas until recently has limited my visits to SMS to a couple per season at most, so not much to choose from!!

1/ The 1st ever Premier League game at SMS v Chelsea. Although we lost, the sheer drama of seeing the ground for the 1st time and trying to comprehend that the crowd was double anything we'd had at home for god know's how long was quite something. As much as I loved The Dell, we needed to move, shame we couldn't bring the atmosphere and soul with us!
2/ 4-0 against Newcastle. Some breathtaking football blew Newcastle apart. Remember The True Geordie having one of his meltdown videos but very complimentary about us. I think we went 2 up early doors leading to him saying we went in hard and dry, no lubing up!!
3/ Wolves last season, 3-1 sat in Corporate, which was a leaving gift from my work crew in Dubai, so was quite poignant. Once again a thrilling display of attacking football and cracking atmosphere.

I also flew back to England in August, 2001 for the first games at St Mary's. But, the friendly v Espanyol which preceded the league game v Chelsea was the one that really gave me that wow moment. We may decry St Mary's now but seeing the sheer size of it after the cramped conditions at the Dell was really impressive at the time. In the days of terracing, St Mary's would have had a 60,000+ capacity, and probably much more than that as even little Fratton Park had an official capacity of 59,000 (obviously never needed) in the days of terracing, and St Mary's is clearly a much bigger structure than that.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 9:32]

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:27 - Apr 26 with 1546 viewsthis_charming_man

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:33 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

I also flew back to England in August, 2001 for the first games at St Mary's. But, the friendly v Espanyol which preceded the league game v Chelsea was the one that really gave me that wow moment. We may decry St Mary's now but seeing the sheer size of it after the cramped conditions at the Dell was really impressive at the time. In the days of terracing, St Mary's would have had a 60,000+ capacity, and probably much more than that as even little Fratton Park had an official capacity of 59,000 (obviously never needed) in the days of terracing, and St Mary's is clearly a much bigger structure than that.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 9:32]

Good luck with that in August 2000 at Mary’s was still a building site

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 23:49 - Apr 26 with 1524 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Top 3 moments at St Mary’s on 21:41 - Apr 25 by grumpy

I think this is my number 1, above many others. Koeman taking the p*ss, the best Saints team for many years, a great comeback.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024